Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#32405 09/03/06 11:02 AM
ShayneT Offline OP
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Well, what do you think? Here's my take on the Superman United Challenge.

#32406 09/03/06 11:12 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
ROFL, loved it! Group therapy, indeed . . . just what some of them needed . . .

Don't point. You make holes in the air and the faeries escape.
#32407 09/03/06 11:15 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
*LOL* That was an interesting vignette, Shayne. I read it in full before I peeked into this thread, and I wasn't aware of the Supermen United challenge, but it was easy enough to catch on.

I'm only acquainted with three of the Clarks: L&C, Smallville and SR. And I actually thought Brandon Routh was good in the last. *g* But I still thoroughly enjoyed it.

Smallville Clark's interjection about Lois made me laugh. And the reference to his Lana Lang obsession was spot on.

I liked your use of our Clark's POV on his counterparts, especially when he got to make this observation: They didn’t seem to understand that Superman was a man before he had ever been super.

All that, and a happy ending (I obviously am pulling for Lois and Clark on Smallville, too. wink ). Thanks for sharing.

Chris
"Superman is a guy who's seen wonders we'll never see and Lois is to him, one of those wonders."
#32408 09/03/06 12:05 PM
Kerth
Kerth
Lovely - nice crossover.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
#32409 09/03/06 12:20 PM
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
Shayne,

This was fun. I enjoyed seeing the stereotypes of the different versions of the characters play out, and especially enjoyed the little digs at the Smallville version of Clark. I wasn't quite sure if the black and white one was George Reeves or Kirk Alyn, but either way it was good. Thanks for the smile.

-Cindy (also unaware of the challenge)

To thine own self be true.
#32410 09/03/06 12:28 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
enjoyed it, Shayne. smile

thanks

c.

#32411 09/03/06 12:44 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
I also liked all of the crossovers and the reactions. "Our" Clark's reaction to the other Clarks were great, and spot-on. Very interesting! laugh

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
#32412 09/03/06 12:58 PM
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
Fun story, Shayne! Good job! And love the ending, it's very WAFFy - both the L&C and the Smallville endings, in fact.

It was nice reading this story and, although I'm not very familiar with some of the versions, I had no trouble understanding it - not to mention, appreciating the comparisons and everything.

Thank you for sharing this lovely fic smile

See ya,
AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
#32413 09/03/06 01:09 PM
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
This is brilliant. Absolutely brilliant. All of the different Clarks together with their different attitudes and views on life with the cape. It's interesting to see how each one describes their relationship with Lois. And you were so good at making us aware which Clark was which. Great ending, too. In short, love it!

He might have to slow down on the Twinkies.
LOL

lisa in the sky with diamonds
#32414 09/03/06 01:21 PM
Blogger
Blogger
I thought it was great! I loved the multiple Superman angle. The description of the 2-dimentional cartoon being there was an interesting twist. I am a fan of Superman in any media, it was great to see them all together!

AnnieJ

#32415 09/03/06 02:17 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Clever and funny!! Thanks so much, Shayne. It was just what I needed.

#32416 09/03/06 04:01 PM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I have absurdly little time to write FDK, but I must say your story was delightful! What a menagerie of Supermen! There was the cartoon Superman who disappeared when you looked at him sideways, the black and white Superman who was a bit heavy around the jowl (yeah, wasn't he), the perfect tall blue-eyed Superman (ah, Christopher Reeve), the expressionless Superman (yeah!) who made Lois pregnant without revealing his Clark Kent identity to her and then left her for five years, the sullen teenager Clark who always screwed up and who couldn't understand what the others saw in Lois, and finally our Clark, to whom this website is dedicated, along with his Lois. I loved that we got to see them together, and that we got to see how they wondered about some of the choices their counterparts had made.

I loved, too, that they were set free after they had had a chance to talk to one another. Group therapy, indeed. Their talk certainly helped Smallville's teenager. Now maybe he, too, can see that Lois is the girl for him!

Original. Beautiful. Lovely. Subtly mindboggling. What a beautiful comment on - the passage of time, perhaps? All these Supermen were captured in a cube which was caught in the time stream. But all these Supermen were from different times, too, reflecting changing ideals and preferences that have been prevalent in the United States from the very early 1950s and onwards. (Am I the only one who is longing for the good old mid-nineties, where "our" Clark is from?)

But for every Superman there was, and is, still a constant. And that is Lois.

I completely loved it, Shayne.

Ann

#32417 09/03/06 04:48 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Oh, that made me laugh!

“Lana Lang is the love of my life,” the teenager said stubbornly. “I don’t care what you say.”
Gag me with a stick, Clark.

Anyway, goofy I'm convinced now that superheroes need group therapy.

Jen

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#32418 09/03/06 05:02 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
All the different versions of Superman. Cute idea. Nice ending. Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
#32419 09/03/06 05:51 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Ah, Shayne, what a wonderful story! You can't see it, but I'm smiling broadly. laugh

I love the two dimensional Superman. Oh, that's so funny.

Okay, the black and white man is George Reeve.

The tall one is Christopher Reeves.

The expressionless man is Brandon Routh.

The one married to Lois is Dean Cain.

And the teenager is Tom Welling. Hey, maybe you can join me in armtwisting a producer or two into getting it right on Smallville. I so hope Lois and Clark finally get together on that show. Pretty silly producers, though, if you ask me. They didn't even know Annette O'Toole played Lana Lang in one of the movies until she told them.

And you threw in Buffy's Anyanka, too. (You might want to explain that one, though, since I imagine many readers have to clue who you are talking about.)

Loved this story. I'm still smiling... [Linked Image]

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
#32420 09/04/06 02:23 AM
R
Blogger
Blogger
R
Very cute story. I'm only really familiar with LnC's version of Clark, but I have a basic knowledge of the other Supermen, so I was able to figure it out. I've never seen Smallville, so I was surprised to learn that Clark doesn't like Lois in that incarnation... Interesting.

Rose

#32421 09/04/06 03:11 AM
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
Just re-read this story, still love it.

And in this world it started, as it had in all the others. For every Clark there was a Lois, for every Lois, a Clark.

The universe hummed its contentment.
So wonderfully WAFFy and satisfying.

And you threw in Buffy's Anyanka, too. (You might want to explain that one, though, since I imagine many readers have to clue who you are talking about.)
It's true that I didn't realize this was an existing character from another show. However, I understood her purpose in this story.

thumbsup

lisa in the sky with diamonds
#32422 09/04/06 05:24 AM
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Shayne, this was cute, insightful, funny, and touching all at once. Now you need to put all of those Lois Lanes in a white room and let them talk to each other. That might be even more revealing, although you might have to put each one in a separate compartment complete with force fields. Otherwise a couple of them might not survive!

So, when do we get to read that story?

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
#32423 09/04/06 07:22 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
The teenager spoke for the first time. “I don’t understand why you all seem to be obsessed with Lois Lane. If she’s anything like my Lois, she’s pigheaded, arrogant, determined, obsessive and annoying.”

For once, Clark found himself nodding in unison with the other four men in the room. “Danger prone too.”
laugh laugh laugh Great! I loved it!
The only one of them I had problems to identify was the black and white one, because I´ve never seen the movie with George Reeves.

Just one question. From which time did you take the comic book Superman? Must be Silver Age, because since 1996 he´s also married to Lois.

#32424 09/04/06 07:59 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Great job Shayne! smile I like what you've done here. laugh It was fun to see all the Clarks together and I see you worked out the feasible solution on how they got into the white room. It was totally different than I was expecting but worked really well. smile

Thanks for sharing it with us. ^_^

Angry Clark: CLARK SMASH!
Lois: Ork!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard