Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: Incognito FDK: 24 Hours - the 21st and Final Part - 12/18/05 12:16 AM
Awesome ending, Wendy. I read your WHAM warning two days ago, so I knew Lois was destined to get better, but I'm still very relieved that the happy ending has finally arrived. I think you chose a great conclusion to the story; taking it slow, but anticipating a future together. I think their relationship has grown by leaps and bounds over the course of a day already.

I have to say that a comment on the last FDK thread about short term memory loss caused me no small amount of concern for a while, but whew. Nothing like that to hit me over the head. wink

After all, she couldn’t have both Clark and herself wearing glasses... it would just look too cute for words.
I just loved that! Hee. Totally saw it in my mind, too.

I particularly liked the bit about Henderson and Lois planning to go easy on him for a while.

Looking forward to reading this in its entirety on the archive. It's one of my favourite pieces of yours. Thank you for such a wonderful journey!
wOW.
I loved the end, the way Lois was getting better...slowly...like it had to be.

This is now one of my favorite stories, you did a great work.

I am happy Lois got better and that they are gonna go out on a date, just the way I wanted, step by step and giving Lois time to understand her feelings for Clark.

Clark was so happy, it was so sweet, cute, special, ohhhh...well, you know what I mean.

And Martha looking at Lois ring, good idea, it was so Martha...lol

Its late and I have to sleep but I couldnt go without posting my comment first.

Well done.

Please keep writting this master pieces Wendy.

Karla
I didn't think it could be done. I didn't think it was possible to end this story in one part after where you left us off in the last segment. But I don't know why I even doubted you. It was perfect! thumbsup Everything came to a close. She's getting better, with a few side effects of course. They are going to try dating first. The bit about Henderson. Their future investigation into Luthor. You hit every loose end I could think of. This story was wonderful. I absolutely loved it! Of course, now I'm anticipating your next story. wink

~Kristen
Wonderful story Wendy. I just wish that there weren't any doubts about their marriage. peep This was tied up nicely and I can finally stop rushing to my computer after work to see if a new part has been posted and pretending to be too proud to grovel. blush

Well done!
Wow. Just. Wow. I’m simply speechless right now. Please allow a moment for recovery.

Ok. I may actually be able to form something resembling a coherent response now. Wendy, I absolutely LOVED this story. I have been a fan of your work for quite a while and have read the majority of your stories that are on the archive. As you remarked in one of your responses to feedback, this story does have a reduced amount of introspection in comparison to some of your previous stories. Don’t get me wrong, I often like the introspection, it helps to really understand what the characters are thinking and feeling. However this story – with time being such a critical factor throughout the entire narrative – very much benefited from the leaner writing style. It improved the flow of the story and helped match the frantic pace that was present in the story.

And the final part was simply wonderful. A pitch-perfect end to the hell of the previous “24 Hours.”

And every minute that continued to happen gave him more hope that they’d done it. They’d saved her.

It was lead. They knew that for sure now.
As I read this, I breathed a huge sigh of relief. I did read the WHAM warning early, so I knew the toys would be put back together. However, that knowledge did not in any way diminish the dramatic impact of each part of the story.

For long moments, neither of them spoke. Clark couldn’t have found the words, anyway; all he could do was look at her. Take in the fact that, contrary to what he’d believed, lived, for the past day, she was alive. And was going to stay that way - well, barring bad guys and kidnappings and plots to blow up the world.
This line was great. It so perfectly captures the moment that Lois and Clark are sharing. The last bit had that wry and dry humour that I love so much (that extra “u” in humor was added in your honour for writing such an amazingly wonderful story.)

Oh. Right.

Regrets, now that their hasty marriage was something she had to face in the cold light of day?
He didn’t want a divorce. That was just being unrealistic, though. Sure, he’d told her that he loved her yesterday, and she’d even said she loved him back. But he couldn’t hold her to a deathbed declaration.
Did she want to be married to Clark?

Did she want to be married at all?
But still, she wasn’t ready to make that decision. For him... or for her. Carefully, she asked, “Can we... not talk about that yet?”
I enjoyed your handling of the little issue of their marriage. The reactions of both Lois and Clark were very realistic and true to character. They both love each other and they both realize that fact. They have become very close in the past 24 hours. I am reminded of the song that says: “What a difference a day makes, twenty-four little hours.” Much has changed in the past day for both Lois and Clark. However, one day is still just one day, no matter how extraordinary that day may have been. All of the adjustments that both will have to make will be more…shall we say interesting than either of them realize.

The story of how they adjust to their completely altered lives has the makings of a great sequel.

Take your time convalescing - my officers will appreciate it. Careful of the thorns - like someone I know, they can sting! Welcome back to the land of the living - Bill H.
I loved how you were able to use Henderson a lot in this story. I feel that he was tragically under-used in the series, but your incarnation of him in this story is great.

If you were to write a sequel, we could even enjoy more of this Henderson.

“Well, I guess we know what our next big investigation is, partner. And we’ll get to do it together after all.”

“Yeah.” He grinned. “I’m looking forward to it. And Bill’s promised us exclusive access. He doesn’t expect this to be over any time soon - not with someone as slippery as Luthor, and with so many lawyers on his payroll. I think it could keep us busy for a few months.”
I loved how Clark told Lois about Luthor’s legal troubles.

The story of how Luthor’s empire falls apart and how Lois and Clark cover it has the makings of a great sequel.

In short, brava.

In case you didn’t notice, I believe that this story is practically begging for a sequel (or is it me that is begging?)

This story is well tied together in the end, but it holds so much hope for the future. I suppose that is appropriate given the content of the story. That same hope for the future would be well addressed in a sequel.

-Em

P.S I know it has been said that readers are insatiable. To that charge I cheerfully plea “Guilty.”
Posted By: Jen P Re: FDK: 24 Hours - the 21st and Final Part - 12/18/05 04:03 AM
Holy cow!! We made it!! She's alright!! hyper party This story has made me crazy because its so good! I have walked that very fine line of interested reader and compulsive fan checking for the next part. I stay up all hours of the night catching up and reading and waiting. blush Wendy, this has been such a great story I just can't help but to hope for a sequel. I am totally w/ eminMN!! Bring on the next chapters in their lives!! Lets see them date and deal with their marriage! smile We could use a good WAFF after all that drama! To sum up my adoration, I loved it! hail I've said it once and I will say it again... You are the Queen!! hail

Jen A
Posted By: TOC Re: FDK: 24 Hours - the 21st and Final Part - 12/18/05 04:30 AM
smile1
Wow! Thanks, Wendy! I've been walking the streets looking quite a few sandwiches short of a full picnic since I read part twenty of your story, but for some reason nobody arrested me. goofy

And this, about all the flowers she received:
But she also had a sneaking fondness for a vase of peach roses - complete with thorns - which had arrived by messenger a few hours after she'd awoken to see Clark asleep by her bedside.
And this is what it says on the card:
Take your time convalescing - my officers will appreciate it. Careful of the thorns - like someone I know, they can sting! Welcome back to the land of the living - Bill H.

She'd smiled when Clark had put the card down. Maybe she'd put Henderson on her Christmas card list this year.
Wendy, that's just adorable! The peach (sweet innocent, very feminine colour) roses with thorns... And Henderson on Lois's Christmas card list! thumbsup

Just a few final thoughts. I almost died with laughter over that thing about Lois and Clark both wearing glasses and being too cute together for words!!!! thumbsup

Ann
Posted By: SJH Re: FDK: 24 Hours - the 21st and Final Part - 12/18/05 05:34 AM
Twenty-one posts, twenty-one pounds of chocolate. Damn the cholesterol.
Posted By: Karen Re: FDK: 24 Hours - the 21st and Final Part - 12/18/05 10:07 AM
Whew. What a wild ride. But it's been fun, despite the hair-raising, blood-curdling drops along the way. But it came to such a satisfying conclusion! They're staying married, but still taking it slow. Lois is going to live, and Lex is going down. Just the way it should be. laugh
What an excellent ending! You were right to have them take things slow, but have provided a clear vision of where the future will lead. This was a fabulous story! thumbsup Susan
Posted By: gerry Re: FDK: 24 Hours - the 21st and Final Part - 12/18/05 11:09 AM
Excellent ending, Wendy. There's a definite future for Lois and Clark together, but they'll get there slowly...although, I believe that they'll begin dating, but that won't last long. smile1

The story was suspenseful and a nail-biter. The pacing was great, and the resolution wonderful.

What's next?

gerry
Really good story Wendy, and it was a nice end smile

Jose notworthy
Posted By: Tank Re: FDK: 24 Hours - the 21st and Final Part - 12/18/05 12:03 PM
Nicely wrapped. The happy ever after is set up to progress comfortably, unless...

The headline in the Daily Planet the next day reads: "Hundreds Die is Bridge Collapse... Where was Superman?"

Just a thought.

Tank (who understands Clark's emotional need to be with Lois all the time, but in the light of who Superman is finds it unrealistic, even if it is the stuff of 'true romance')
Wendy, you've outdone yourself this time. This has been one amazing ride and I'm glad I got to read it in parts. All the angst, suspense, nail-biting worry and more came accross this way. I loved every minute of it and it's sad to know there will be no more. But in a way, it's good the story is over. No more rushing in the morning when I have no time to read, but simply must read the next chapter, because I had to know what happened next. <g>

I had my doubts that you could get us the happy ending we wanted, but you managed it after all. Well done! thumbsup And what's more, it's all very realistic as well. Nicely tied up. No more Lex, Lois is better (and what's a minor side effect like contacts when you get to live?) They'll be dating, and ending up in a happy marriage.

But there's one point that really deserves some more attention. Henderson. You write the man brilliantly! No idea how you do it, but it's just *him*. His hard work, his way of speaking and showing he cares. The roses were a perfect idea!

Waiting for your next story now, Wendy!

Saskia (deeply in awe and writing this done for the Kerths)
*releases breath*

Wendy, mo cuisle, mo gheal, mo chroí, m'aingeal go léir agus mo very nice chara... you finished it laugh This story has been like a rollercoaster for me [note; I hate rollercoasters goofy ] - I haven't been as hooked or as apprehensive or as involved or as downright terrified by a story in a very long time, and this part was no different!

First of all, that last cliffhanger had me absolutely *screaming* and wanting to fly to Canada and throttle you till you told me how it ended... not that I would have done anything so violent and undignified, of course blush ... but it was kind of lucky this part came as soon as it did <g>

But she was still breathing. Still inhaling and exhaling, blood still flowing around her veins and pumping through her heart.

And every minute that continued to happen gave him more hope that they'd done it. They'd saved her.
Love those lines. Love them. Because that was the moment I realised Lois was going to get well, because you wouldn't POSSIBLY give us lines as beautifully crafted and eloquent and full of hope as those ones without following them up with a happy ending. So major phew moment there. And just a little bit of clap notworthy hail

Sara [who's sorry the story is over, but glad for the sake of her poor nails... wink ]
Hi,

Love this story! thumbsup thumbsup

MAF clap
You know before reading the last part, I was all ready to demand a waffy epilogue,

BUT,

your progression of events was simply superb, and the ending just fits!

Adored the dates and keep-my-ring segment. goofy )

wave
Awwwwww. Nicely tied up. AND my favorite part was probably the fact that L&C didn't just jump into being married. The toys were neatly put back in the box, but I think the toychest is open for the journey the two of them still need to take together.

I have to admit, I checked the WHAM warning for the first time to see how this story would end. I checked it before I even started reading the story, but it was all still so...tense and unsettling even though in the back of my head I knew Lois would be ok.

Great, great story.
JD
Wendy -

Never have I been more addicted to a story than I have to this one - I apologize for not having kept up with posting comments - but it was simply amazing. Every step. Every breath. Every detail.

I do have one question, though (besides is there a sequel! smile ) - Am I reading too much into it, or is there significance to the fact that the poison was, in the end, lead - the one element that Clark/Superman's powers don't work on? If so - brilliant! If not, well - apparently sometimes I overanalyze smile

So what comes next? smile
Shells
Aw Wendy this was very sweet. I loved the ending! And they lived happily ever after, sigh... Nice job! Laura
I'm not the best with words, but I think I can sum up the end of this story with just one: Beautiful!
You are a master at this stuff!
clap clap clap clap

Marcy
Wow! thumbsup
Wendy, this was a superb performance! I loved it all, especially the sweet ending. I'm glad you made the doctor decent in the end. Very good!

Phew! Now that my finals are over, I'm gonna go read the beginning of the story--I think I started around 15.

Keep writing! You know we all love your stories! jump
Posted By: silm Re: FDK: 24 Hours - the 21st and Final Part - 12/20/05 07:42 AM
Wendy, I just loved your storie, you´re really talented. This work is beutiful and moving.
And the end terrific. Thank you very much for sharing your stories with us
Sil
WOW! goofy After we endured 21 parts of angst, worry, fright and despair hanging on the very edge of the insanity, [Linked Image] you could be good and give us a sequel full of WAFFYs, hugs and kisses to make up for. Whole with a honeymoon!!! [Linked Image] Pretty please!? notworthy notworthy notworthy
Posted By: Capes Re: FDK: 24 Hours - the 21st and Final Part - 12/20/05 08:22 PM
Finally!

I have been wanting to log on and read the end, but life stymied me...until I just couldn't take it anymore.

It was lead. They knew that for sure now.
Going to take those lead warnings more seriously now.

chivvied
New favourite word of the week.

“Can I have it back, please?”
It was worth the agony just to read that line.

Bee YOO ti ful story, Wendy.

Bill was at his best. Clark was so sweet, and Lois was her bravest self. Couldn't possibly be better than this smile
I absolutely adored this story from start to finish (and what a perfect finish it was). I am glad Lois owned up to the confessions the two of them made to one another, but also that they did not decide to move in right away and play house. They are still too new, so it's nice to know that she sees Clark for how wonderful he is and wants to make it work. A brilliant ending...or is that beginning?? wink

Also, I adored Henderson all through this story. I know others have said it, but he really was a very bright light here. His character was perfectly used!

Hope to see more soon!

smile1 clap party
Do you know what the only torture worse than a 24 hour death by poison is??? Going back to the house I grew up in only to find the computers barely work and the internet was down!!! whinging My mom is ready to institutionalize me! And from reading through this thread, I at least see that I'm not the only one!!!!

And some passages had me smiling ear to ear, tears in my eyes, my heart ready to burst... like these:

I just think... maybe we should... I don’t know, take some time to... well, date or something? Before making a decision?”

“Really?” That clearly shocked him. “I thought... well, that now you’re going to be okay you wouldn’t want to be tied... I mean, you’d never have married me otherwise...”

Wouldn’t she? Even leaving aside the Clark-Kent-is-Superman thing, which now didn’t seem quite so astonishing as it had yesterday - amazing how quickly it was possible to get used to even the strangest of things - Clark had become special to her over the past months in a way that no-one else ever had. Ever. Even if he hadn’t been Superman, he’d been her hero yesterday in every way.

And, in the midst of her fear and confusion after being attacked, it had been Clark, not Superman, she’d called for...

“Maybe not this soon.” She gave him a crooked smile. “I was doing a pretty good job of refusing to notice what a wonderful guy you are. But you were doing a pretty good job of getting under my guard, all the same.
YES!!! dance Woo hoo!!!
~NICOLE

ps- I'm not sure this is the type of story that would get a sequel normally, but I for one would love to see these two all legally married and going on that first date, lol... maybe something called 48 Hours!? Another crazy ride? Something else at stake!? Love being explored! You've totally got more in you! RIGHT!!?!?! wink
Wendy

Congratulations and thank you for a superbly written, amazing story. smile1

Tricia cool
Lovely, Wendy. It's very easy to make the final part of an emotional and angsty story like this anti-climax, but it was totally perfect. I love what you did with the rings.

Love the conversation after she wakes, love the kisses. Love everything.

~ Finally, The End ~ eek
eek indeed! Long journey to recovery.

Julie smile
Rather then write a comment for each installment of the story, I decided I would just comment on the story as a whole - since I started reading it a little late.

Anyways if I was asked to describe that story in one word it would be "WOW"!

It was a very well put together piece. It had its ups and downs and kept the reader interested until the bitter end. I think I am going to have to be admitted to the nearest psychiatric ward for bi-polar disorder, it was that nerve wracking, but well worth it...LOL

There were parts where I was screaming to the monitor the entire time. For example that hole lead thing made we want to scream. I KNEW those shavings of metal were important, yet at first Clark totally ignored them. AND this was after feeling bad of wasting time with the whole superpower thing and what not. He had the answer to installments prior, but he kept it from everyone. Also why did he not think of X-Ray visioning her. HELLO CLARK!! That could have saved her life from the very beginning. When you could not see through her the light bulb should've and would've gone off. Through his moments of guilt that was never mentioned once (the use of X-Ray viision)...well from what I can recall, I do not remember it being mentioned. That was the only thing I found a little disappointing.

Sorry for my little vent, but it was much needed. There is no bad meaning there, it is just that since I can not yell at Clark, posting it is the next best thing.

I do not know if any of you watch HOUSE? I think it would have been ironic to have him as the doctor - rather than Dr. Sutton. House would have been a challenge for Lois, and it would have been humourous them constantly bickering. Plus they were looking for the best medical team, and House and the gang were it (in my opinion). Thoughts on this suggestion would be interesting and definately wanted.

I am glad that Lois and Clark decided to get hitched, and better yet they decided once they knew she was going to live, to wait and see where the relationship would go. YAAY for Lois that she did not go back in her shell. The brink of death softened her up as much as age had with Henderson (although I do not think that was what did it for Bill). It would be nice to see a continuation of their relationship occurring in the wrong order - marriage then dating. Will it harm it any? Is it just the inevitable sped up? Definately would be interesting to see how that would be handled by any of the FoLC writting team or Wendy for that matter.

Good job hun, I loved it....too bad it is over. Or is it? I shall hope, wait, and see.

PS...My favourite names SuperClark and Clarkman! Gotta love Lois!
I am shamefully, embarrassingly late in replying and thanking you all for your utterly wonderful comments on this final part and the story as a whole. At first, I was waiting until I was sure that anyone who wanted had had a chance to post, and then I just got distracted. blush

I just hope that the little Christmas present I posted for you all as a gesture of thanks helps make up a little for my dilatoriness.

Anyway. The most important thing I have to say here is a huge, heartfelt, grateful thank you for all the wonderful things you've all said about this story, both along the way and on this final instalment. I can't possibly do justice to all your insightful, thoughtful, kind and generous comments in this post, but I will just pick out a few things.

Kristin said something a few people had been mentioning, here and on IRC:

I didn't think it could be done. I didn't think it was possible to end this story in one part after where you left us off in the last segment.
I got several 'suggestions' (ie they were more than mere 'suggestions') that just one part couldn't possibly be enough to make up to you for all the anguish and torment I'd been putting you through.

But I don't know why I even doubted you. It was perfect! Everything came to a close. She's getting better, with a few side effects of course. They are going to try dating first. The bit about Henderson. Their future investigation into Luthor. You hit every loose end I could think of.
Aww! Thank you so much!

Sheila said:
I just wish that there weren't any doubts about their marriage.
Well, the way I see it, there aren't. But I think it would have been completely unrealistic to leave this with hearts and flowers and a public acknowledgement of their marriage. As EminMN said:

They both love each other and they both realize that fact. They have become very close in the past 24 hours. I am reminded of the song that says: “What a difference a day makes, twenty-four little hours.” Much has changed in the past day for both Lois and Clark. However, one day is still just one day, no matter how extraordinary that day may have been.
I liked that Jen said this:
my favorite part was probably the fact that L&C didn't just jump into being married. The toys were neatly put back in the box, but I think the toychest is open for the journey the two of them still need to take together.
But Ann says exactly what I was thinking:
we all know that this taking-off-the-rings thing is certainly not for ever, or even for very long.
It would have been unrealistic for them to decide, there and then, that they'd stay married, and no matter how much Clark wants it I couldn't see him letting Lois suggest it - he'd be too afraid that she'd change her mind once she gets over the emotional trauma and her dependence on him. I don't see it as taking very long, though, for them to admit that this isn't just a temporary thing - that their feelings for each other are real and lasting. Give it a few months and they'll be discussing which of their apartments is better for them to live in. goofy

I was so happy to see so many of you mention Henderson's role in this story.

I loved how you were able to use Henderson a lot in this story. I feel that he was tragically under-used in the series, but your incarnation of him in this story is great.
that's just adorable! The peach (sweet innocent, very feminine colour) roses with thorns... And Henderson on Lois's Christmas card list! And thank you so much for the wonderful way you used Bill Henderson in this story. He's a great character, and I'd like to see more of him in Lois and Clark fanfiction.
But there's one point that really deserves some more attention. Henderson. You write the man brilliantly! No idea how you do it, but it's just *him*. His hard work, his way of speaking and showing he cares. The roses were a perfect idea!
Also, I adored Henderson all through this story. I know others have said it, but he really was a very bright light here. His character was perfectly used!
Thank you!! As is probably obvious by now, I'm a huge Bill Henderson fan. He was sadly under-used in the series, but when we did see him I loved his interaction with Lois. Their relationship is just so layered - on the surface, apparent distrust and sarcasm, yet there's so much more underneath. Their respect for each other is obvious. He's the cop Lois calls when she needs something - like a break-in at Clark's apartment investigated. And he comes when she calls, even if petty breaking in is so far beneath his role as a detective inspector. I wish they'd written him in as the cop investigating Clark's murder in TOGOM, and given him a decent role.

Anyway... *ahem* wink Thank you all for enjoying his role so much! Although I'm not really writing L&C fic at the moment (like I said, been distracted...), when I do come back to it I have a Henderson-focused story in my mind as one I want to write. Hope you'll enjoy it, when I do get around to it!

Okay, a couple of nitpicks:

Tank (who understands Clark's emotional need to be with Lois all the time, but in the light of who Superman is finds it unrealistic, even if it is the stuff of 'true romance')
You're absolutely right, Tank. Of course it's not very realistic, just as Clark staying with Lois throughout the previous day probably strained at the edges of credibility. wink I'm just pretending that there wasn't a lot of need for Superman during this period - I mean, it can't be all death and disaster all the time! <g>

Judy said:
There were parts where I was screaming to the monitor the entire time. For example that hole lead thing made we want to scream. I KNEW those shavings of metal were important, yet at first Clark totally ignored them. AND this was after feeling bad of wasting time with the whole superpower thing and what not. He had the answer to installments prior, but he kept it from everyone. Also why did he not think of X-Ray visioning her. HELLO CLARK!! That could have saved her life from the very beginning. When you could not see through her the light bulb should've and would've gone off. Through his moments of guilt that was never mentioned once (the use of X-Ray viision)...well from what I can recall, I do not remember it being mentioned. That was the only thing I found a little disappointing.
Now, I don't see this. Why would Clark X-ray her? I can't see any reason why he would think it would help. He knows she's been injected with a poison, but he's not a chemist or a scientist and wouldn't imagine that he'd be able to recognise what it is just through X-raying her.

The metal shavings, yes - but you have to remember that this was in a toymaker's workshop. Edwin Griffin would use lots of different materials in making his toys, including metal, and there'd be shavings and bits and pieces of all sorts of things all around the warehouse. It's not as if the fragments Clark saw were the only thing lying around. So I think it's plausible that he didn't pay any attention to them at the time. When he was at the warehouse, he was looking for things like a hypodermic and traces of fluid - it never occurred to him or anyone else that one of the poisons might have been in solid form. After all, injections tend to be liquid. smile

You asked for a response on this:
I do not know if any of you watch HOUSE? I think it would have been ironic to have him as the doctor - rather than Dr. Sutton. House would have been a challenge for Lois, and it would have been humourous them constantly bickering. Plus they were looking for the best medical team, and House and the gang were it (in my opinion). Thoughts on this suggestion would be interesting and definately wanted.
I'm afraid my response is confused I've never heard of House...

Finally, a few of you have asked about a sequel. I'm going to take the KathyB approach here and take it as a huge compliment that you enjoyed the story so much that you don't want to let the characters go, and I feel very pleased about that. But, no, there's no sequel. I've told the story that I want to tell, and taken it as far as my imagination wanted to go with it. For what happens from here on, feel free to use your own imaginations. smile

There already are some stories out there which have Lois and Clark marry first (for convenience or some other reason) and then build a relationship afterwards. Try ML Thompson's First Comes Marriage, Erin Klingler's The Accidental Husband, Jessi Mounts' For Better Or For Worse, and Missy Gallant's work-in-progress What's Love Got To Do With It.

Anyway, I'll leave it at that. I'm conscious, as always, that a mere thank you is far from sufficient for all the wonderful words you've posted in feedback for this story over the weeks as it was being posted, but please believe that I'm overawed, stunned, and very, very grateful.

Thank you. notworthy

Wendy smile
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards