Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I'm not the best with words, but I think I can sum up the end of this story with just one: Beautiful!
You are a master at this stuff!
clap clap clap clap

Marcy

(Elrond's blessing at the departure of the company from Rivendell)

"Farewell, and may the blessing of Elves and Men and all Free Folk go with you.
May the stars shine upon your faces!"
-Lord of the Rings, J.R.R. Tolkien
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Wow! thumbsup

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." Chris Reeve

"Whatever comes our way, whatever battle we have raging inside us, we always have a choice. It's the choices that make us who we are, and we can always choose to do what's right." Peter Parker

DON'T DOUBT THE ROUTH
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
Wendy, this was a superb performance! I loved it all, especially the sweet ending. I'm glad you made the doctor decent in the end. Very good!

Phew! Now that my finals are over, I'm gonna go read the beginning of the story--I think I started around 15.

Keep writing! You know we all love your stories! jump

I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind.
Some come from ahead and some come from behind.
But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see.
Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!
~Dr. Seuss
S
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
S
Wendy, I just loved your storie, you´re really talented. This work is beutiful and moving.
And the end terrific. Thank you very much for sharing your stories with us
Sil

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
WOW! goofy After we endured 21 parts of angst, worry, fright and despair hanging on the very edge of the insanity, [Linked Image] you could be good and give us a sequel full of WAFFYs, hugs and kisses to make up for. Whole with a honeymoon!!! [Linked Image] Pretty please!? notworthy notworthy notworthy

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

~ Superman: Man of Tomorrow #15
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Finally!

I have been wanting to log on and read the end, but life stymied me...until I just couldn't take it anymore.

It was lead. They knew that for sure now.
Going to take those lead warnings more seriously now.

chivvied
New favourite word of the week.

“Can I have it back, please?”
It was worth the agony just to read that line.

Bee YOO ti ful story, Wendy.

Bill was at his best. Clark was so sweet, and Lois was her bravest self. Couldn't possibly be better than this smile

**~~**

Swoosh --->
Columnist
Columnist
I absolutely adored this story from start to finish (and what a perfect finish it was). I am glad Lois owned up to the confessions the two of them made to one another, but also that they did not decide to move in right away and play house. They are still too new, so it's nice to know that she sees Clark for how wonderful he is and wants to make it work. A brilliant ending...or is that beginning?? wink

Also, I adored Henderson all through this story. I know others have said it, but he really was a very bright light here. His character was perfectly used!

Hope to see more soon!

smile1 clap party

Spike: "There's a hole in the world...feels like we ought to have known."
-Angel
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Do you know what the only torture worse than a 24 hour death by poison is??? Going back to the house I grew up in only to find the computers barely work and the internet was down!!! whinging My mom is ready to institutionalize me! And from reading through this thread, I at least see that I'm not the only one!!!!

And some passages had me smiling ear to ear, tears in my eyes, my heart ready to burst... like these:

I just think... maybe we should... I don’t know, take some time to... well, date or something? Before making a decision?”

“Really?” That clearly shocked him. “I thought... well, that now you’re going to be okay you wouldn’t want to be tied... I mean, you’d never have married me otherwise...”

Wouldn’t she? Even leaving aside the Clark-Kent-is-Superman thing, which now didn’t seem quite so astonishing as it had yesterday - amazing how quickly it was possible to get used to even the strangest of things - Clark had become special to her over the past months in a way that no-one else ever had. Ever. Even if he hadn’t been Superman, he’d been her hero yesterday in every way.

And, in the midst of her fear and confusion after being attacked, it had been Clark, not Superman, she’d called for...

“Maybe not this soon.” She gave him a crooked smile. “I was doing a pretty good job of refusing to notice what a wonderful guy you are. But you were doing a pretty good job of getting under my guard, all the same.
YES!!! dance Woo hoo!!!
~NICOLE

ps- I'm not sure this is the type of story that would get a sequel normally, but I for one would love to see these two all legally married and going on that first date, lol... maybe something called 48 Hours!? Another crazy ride? Something else at stake!? Love being explored! You've totally got more in you! RIGHT!!?!?! wink

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Wendy

Congratulations and thank you for a superbly written, amazing story. smile1

Tricia cool

Top Banana
Top Banana
Lovely, Wendy. It's very easy to make the final part of an emotional and angsty story like this anti-climax, but it was totally perfect. I love what you did with the rings.

Love the conversation after she wakes, love the kisses. Love everything.

~ Finally, The End ~ eek
eek indeed! Long journey to recovery.

Julie smile

Mulder: Imagine if you could come back and take out five people who had caused you to suffer. Who would they be?
Scully: I only get five?
Mulder: I remembered your birthday this year, didn't I, Scully?

(The X-Files)
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Rather then write a comment for each installment of the story, I decided I would just comment on the story as a whole - since I started reading it a little late.

Anyways if I was asked to describe that story in one word it would be "WOW"!

It was a very well put together piece. It had its ups and downs and kept the reader interested until the bitter end. I think I am going to have to be admitted to the nearest psychiatric ward for bi-polar disorder, it was that nerve wracking, but well worth it...LOL

There were parts where I was screaming to the monitor the entire time. For example that hole lead thing made we want to scream. I KNEW those shavings of metal were important, yet at first Clark totally ignored them. AND this was after feeling bad of wasting time with the whole superpower thing and what not. He had the answer to installments prior, but he kept it from everyone. Also why did he not think of X-Ray visioning her. HELLO CLARK!! That could have saved her life from the very beginning. When you could not see through her the light bulb should've and would've gone off. Through his moments of guilt that was never mentioned once (the use of X-Ray viision)...well from what I can recall, I do not remember it being mentioned. That was the only thing I found a little disappointing.

Sorry for my little vent, but it was much needed. There is no bad meaning there, it is just that since I can not yell at Clark, posting it is the next best thing.

I do not know if any of you watch HOUSE? I think it would have been ironic to have him as the doctor - rather than Dr. Sutton. House would have been a challenge for Lois, and it would have been humourous them constantly bickering. Plus they were looking for the best medical team, and House and the gang were it (in my opinion). Thoughts on this suggestion would be interesting and definately wanted.

I am glad that Lois and Clark decided to get hitched, and better yet they decided once they knew she was going to live, to wait and see where the relationship would go. YAAY for Lois that she did not go back in her shell. The brink of death softened her up as much as age had with Henderson (although I do not think that was what did it for Bill). It would be nice to see a continuation of their relationship occurring in the wrong order - marriage then dating. Will it harm it any? Is it just the inevitable sped up? Definately would be interesting to see how that would be handled by any of the FoLC writting team or Wendy for that matter.

Good job hun, I loved it....too bad it is over. Or is it? I shall hope, wait, and see.

PS...My favourite names SuperClark and Clarkman! Gotta love Lois!

Thanks, Judy
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I am shamefully, embarrassingly late in replying and thanking you all for your utterly wonderful comments on this final part and the story as a whole. At first, I was waiting until I was sure that anyone who wanted had had a chance to post, and then I just got distracted. blush

I just hope that the little Christmas present I posted for you all as a gesture of thanks helps make up a little for my dilatoriness.

Anyway. The most important thing I have to say here is a huge, heartfelt, grateful thank you for all the wonderful things you've all said about this story, both along the way and on this final instalment. I can't possibly do justice to all your insightful, thoughtful, kind and generous comments in this post, but I will just pick out a few things.

Kristin said something a few people had been mentioning, here and on IRC:

I didn't think it could be done. I didn't think it was possible to end this story in one part after where you left us off in the last segment.
I got several 'suggestions' (ie they were more than mere 'suggestions') that just one part couldn't possibly be enough to make up to you for all the anguish and torment I'd been putting you through.

But I don't know why I even doubted you. It was perfect! Everything came to a close. She's getting better, with a few side effects of course. They are going to try dating first. The bit about Henderson. Their future investigation into Luthor. You hit every loose end I could think of.
Aww! Thank you so much!

Sheila said:
I just wish that there weren't any doubts about their marriage.
Well, the way I see it, there aren't. But I think it would have been completely unrealistic to leave this with hearts and flowers and a public acknowledgement of their marriage. As EminMN said:

They both love each other and they both realize that fact. They have become very close in the past 24 hours. I am reminded of the song that says: “What a difference a day makes, twenty-four little hours.” Much has changed in the past day for both Lois and Clark. However, one day is still just one day, no matter how extraordinary that day may have been.
I liked that Jen said this:
my favorite part was probably the fact that L&C didn't just jump into being married. The toys were neatly put back in the box, but I think the toychest is open for the journey the two of them still need to take together.
But Ann says exactly what I was thinking:
we all know that this taking-off-the-rings thing is certainly not for ever, or even for very long.
It would have been unrealistic for them to decide, there and then, that they'd stay married, and no matter how much Clark wants it I couldn't see him letting Lois suggest it - he'd be too afraid that she'd change her mind once she gets over the emotional trauma and her dependence on him. I don't see it as taking very long, though, for them to admit that this isn't just a temporary thing - that their feelings for each other are real and lasting. Give it a few months and they'll be discussing which of their apartments is better for them to live in. goofy

I was so happy to see so many of you mention Henderson's role in this story.

I loved how you were able to use Henderson a lot in this story. I feel that he was tragically under-used in the series, but your incarnation of him in this story is great.
that's just adorable! The peach (sweet innocent, very feminine colour) roses with thorns... And Henderson on Lois's Christmas card list! And thank you so much for the wonderful way you used Bill Henderson in this story. He's a great character, and I'd like to see more of him in Lois and Clark fanfiction.
But there's one point that really deserves some more attention. Henderson. You write the man brilliantly! No idea how you do it, but it's just *him*. His hard work, his way of speaking and showing he cares. The roses were a perfect idea!
Also, I adored Henderson all through this story. I know others have said it, but he really was a very bright light here. His character was perfectly used!
Thank you!! As is probably obvious by now, I'm a huge Bill Henderson fan. He was sadly under-used in the series, but when we did see him I loved his interaction with Lois. Their relationship is just so layered - on the surface, apparent distrust and sarcasm, yet there's so much more underneath. Their respect for each other is obvious. He's the cop Lois calls when she needs something - like a break-in at Clark's apartment investigated. And he comes when she calls, even if petty breaking in is so far beneath his role as a detective inspector. I wish they'd written him in as the cop investigating Clark's murder in TOGOM, and given him a decent role.

Anyway... *ahem* wink Thank you all for enjoying his role so much! Although I'm not really writing L&C fic at the moment (like I said, been distracted...), when I do come back to it I have a Henderson-focused story in my mind as one I want to write. Hope you'll enjoy it, when I do get around to it!

Okay, a couple of nitpicks:

Tank (who understands Clark's emotional need to be with Lois all the time, but in the light of who Superman is finds it unrealistic, even if it is the stuff of 'true romance')
You're absolutely right, Tank. Of course it's not very realistic, just as Clark staying with Lois throughout the previous day probably strained at the edges of credibility. wink I'm just pretending that there wasn't a lot of need for Superman during this period - I mean, it can't be all death and disaster all the time! <g>

Judy said:
There were parts where I was screaming to the monitor the entire time. For example that hole lead thing made we want to scream. I KNEW those shavings of metal were important, yet at first Clark totally ignored them. AND this was after feeling bad of wasting time with the whole superpower thing and what not. He had the answer to installments prior, but he kept it from everyone. Also why did he not think of X-Ray visioning her. HELLO CLARK!! That could have saved her life from the very beginning. When you could not see through her the light bulb should've and would've gone off. Through his moments of guilt that was never mentioned once (the use of X-Ray viision)...well from what I can recall, I do not remember it being mentioned. That was the only thing I found a little disappointing.
Now, I don't see this. Why would Clark X-ray her? I can't see any reason why he would think it would help. He knows she's been injected with a poison, but he's not a chemist or a scientist and wouldn't imagine that he'd be able to recognise what it is just through X-raying her.

The metal shavings, yes - but you have to remember that this was in a toymaker's workshop. Edwin Griffin would use lots of different materials in making his toys, including metal, and there'd be shavings and bits and pieces of all sorts of things all around the warehouse. It's not as if the fragments Clark saw were the only thing lying around. So I think it's plausible that he didn't pay any attention to them at the time. When he was at the warehouse, he was looking for things like a hypodermic and traces of fluid - it never occurred to him or anyone else that one of the poisons might have been in solid form. After all, injections tend to be liquid. smile

You asked for a response on this:
I do not know if any of you watch HOUSE? I think it would have been ironic to have him as the doctor - rather than Dr. Sutton. House would have been a challenge for Lois, and it would have been humourous them constantly bickering. Plus they were looking for the best medical team, and House and the gang were it (in my opinion). Thoughts on this suggestion would be interesting and definately wanted.
I'm afraid my response is confused I've never heard of House...

Finally, a few of you have asked about a sequel. I'm going to take the KathyB approach here and take it as a huge compliment that you enjoyed the story so much that you don't want to let the characters go, and I feel very pleased about that. But, no, there's no sequel. I've told the story that I want to tell, and taken it as far as my imagination wanted to go with it. For what happens from here on, feel free to use your own imaginations. smile

There already are some stories out there which have Lois and Clark marry first (for convenience or some other reason) and then build a relationship afterwards. Try ML Thompson's First Comes Marriage, Erin Klingler's The Accidental Husband, Jessi Mounts' For Better Or For Worse, and Missy Gallant's work-in-progress What's Love Got To Do With It.

Anyway, I'll leave it at that. I'm conscious, as always, that a mere thank you is far from sufficient for all the wonderful words you've posted in feedback for this story over the weeks as it was being posted, but please believe that I'm overawed, stunned, and very, very grateful.

Thank you. notworthy

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard