Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: Blueowl FDK: Purple - 07/11/21 02:45 AM
Summary: Not all Kryptonite is bad, but they all certainly have their side effects. [Takes place in season 2, some time after 'Individual Responsibility']

This fic is an answer to the challenge by Queen of the Capes - Somebody has taken a little stroll...or flight?...while completely sound asleep. Who is it? Where do they go and what do they do? Who sees them? And what happens the next morning?

It quickly became bigger than a one-shot.

Part 1 is here: Chimes

I hope you all enjoy. I think it's pretty different.
Posted By: bakasi Re: FDK: Purple - 07/11/21 10:06 AM
I have to admit that I have no idea what purple kryptonite does to Clark. Or if it's even a part of canon. Of course I could look it up, but I'd rather be surprised. This promises to be interesting. Count me in for the ride.
Posted By: BlindPassenger Re: FDK: Purple - 07/11/21 10:57 AM
So, Music Kryptonite? Well, I have no idea where you will go with that, but am excited to find out. I'll follow this one. Lucky is Clark that Rachel hadn't found more Green K to Show him or his secret could have been damaged :-)
Posted By: Morgana Re: FDK: Purple - 07/12/21 01:55 AM
So happy to see this story posted! Purple Kryptonite is a rare gem indeed.
Posted By: Blueowl Re: FDK: Purple - 07/14/21 12:31 AM
Originally Posted by bakasi
I have to admit that I have no idea what purple kryptonite does to Clark. Or if it's even a part of canon. Of course I could look it up, but I'd rather be surprised. This promises to be interesting. Count me in for the ride.
Admittedly, there is no assigned effect of purple kyptonite in any Superman canon I could find. Which is why I chose it ^_^ Anyway, hope you enjoy the ride smile

Originally Posted by BlindPassenger
So, Music Kryptonite? Well, I have no idea where you will go with that, but am excited to find out. I'll follow this one. Lucky is Clark that Rachel hadn't found more Green K to Show him or his secret could have been damaged :-)
Thanks ^_^ And yeah, he is lucky she hadn't found more green. That would have been a very interesting scene.... Not in this story though :P

Originally Posted by Morgana
So happy to see this story posted! Purple Kryptonite is a rare gem indeed.
Thanks ^_^

Next part will be up shortly.
Posted By: Blueowl Re: FDK: Purple - 07/14/21 12:43 AM
Here is part two: Sleepwalk
Posted By: Blueowl Re: FDK: Purple - 07/15/21 12:48 AM
I'm going to be on vacation next week so will be posting a part a day until I head out.
Enjoy ^_^

Part 3: Slip
Posted By: Queen of the Capes Re: FDK: Purple - 07/15/21 02:24 AM
Please keep them coming because I am enjoying! laugh. And have a good vacation! smile
Posted By: Terry Leatherwood Re: FDK: Purple - 07/15/21 02:40 AM
I think he's going to remember something Jor-El told him and it will produce a completely unexpected phenomena. "Lah grileshin himolkahm tal ahmetziolan esho shekyugam. Bahgakimolt eeyezish" indeed.

Apparently light rays - or specific colors - trigger his fugue episodes, so it's just a matter of time before Clark enters one when he's with Lois and she either grasps the truth or convinces herself that "It ain't possible for Clark to be Superman! I'm going crazy!" Be fun to read, though.

I'm looking forward to the next chapter of this fascinating tale. I can't wait until Superman starts speaking English with a Kryptonian accent (however that sounds). Keep 'em coming!

And yes, have a pleasant and very relaxing vacation.

Posted By: gr8shadesofElvis Re: FDK: Purple - 07/15/21 11:39 AM
Enjoying your new story. I especially like the continued use of the superhero meets small child and aww moment ensues trope. If it's a trope... dunno.
Looking forward to the more frequent updates. Enjoy your getaway. smile
Posted By: bakasi Re: FDK: Purple - 07/15/21 11:41 AM
This is a fun story. Like Terry, I expect that Clark will sooner or later be influenced by the sun in Lois' presence. I'll make sure that I've got the popcorn ready by then. YAY dance
Posted By: Blueowl Re: FDK: Purple - 07/16/21 12:11 AM
Glad everyone is enjoying this ^_^.

Part 4: Odd
Posted By: Terry Leatherwood Re: FDK: Purple - 07/16/21 01:19 AM
"Odd" is right. I got my wish, and we have more information now. I'm going to guess that Purple K is either some kind of long-term data storage or a teaching device from the Old Homestead. Whatever process the green and red K went through to make them affect Kryptonians also altered the purple K just enough to make it do a data dump. And it seems as if it's moving from simple (drawing solar influx) to complex (drawing a starship) to - what's next?

He also seemed more aware of both his surroundings and his condition this time. I wonder if this data load will be a permanent thing. I also wonder how much it will affect his day-to-day life, especially when he zones out in front of Lois with the glasses on. (Surely that's coming, right? You can't tease us with that and not fulfill your destiny!)

I'm ready for part 5. huh So? Is it up yet?

Posted By: gr8shadesofElvis Re: FDK: Purple - 07/16/21 07:16 AM
Rather hoping there'll be an 'oops, sorry I fell asleep on your couch, Chief' moment before he realises what he's wearing. Guess I'll find out tomorrow morning. smile
Posted By: BlindPassenger Re: FDK: Purple - 07/16/21 08:36 AM
So, just read Part 2. Well, it seems like Kryptonians are different from humans in sleepwalking so that they can interact with others. Haha!
And Superman still saves People while sleeping. Wow.
the Scene with that Girl was nice. Although I can see Clark helping her with that painting even if he was awake. It also nicely Shows how children sometimes lack the awe or fear of adults from certain celibrities and so they just talk to them like the ordinary People they are. I like that.
The whole "going to eat a cake" line kicked me over the edge into a good laugh, though. Just imagine Superman going into a Café and ordering some cake. Priceless.
I guess it's only a matter of time until he will stumble about a certain Reporter in (of) his dreams. :-)
EDIT: Just saw that there are already two new parts up. Wow, you are a fast updater. Will come to them later this day.
Posted By: L Re: FDK: Purple - 07/16/21 01:32 PM
WOW! I'm enthralled by this story!
Posted By: bakasi Re: FDK: Purple - 07/16/21 02:06 PM
This story is just amazing. Thank you so much for sharing. I loved the playful Superman. Odd, indeed! smile1 clap
Posted By: Mike M Re: FDK: Purple - 07/16/21 04:27 PM
This is such a novel storyline. A playful Superman could only be surpassed by a playful Batman.

I await each chapter to see where you lead Clark next.

Posted By: cuidadora Re: FDK: Purple - 07/16/21 08:19 PM
What a delightful, unique story. Looking forward to more.
Posted By: Blueowl Re: FDK: Purple - 07/17/21 12:58 AM
Wow! Thanks so much for the reviews ^_^
So glad you all are enjoying this so much!

Here is the 5th part: Origins
Posted By: gr8shadesofElvis Re: FDK: Purple - 07/17/21 12:07 PM
Are becoming loose lipped and suggestible more unwanted side effects of purple K? He shared an awful lot of information with those two in this chapter.
Posted By: bakasi Re: FDK: Purple - 07/17/21 01:22 PM
Okay, Superman definitely is a lot more open about himself than he has ever been before. And now he's watching Startrek on TV. I wonder how Clark well feel about this, later.

This is a fun read.
Posted By: Blueowl Re: FDK: Purple - 07/18/21 04:25 AM
gr8shadesofElvis & Bakasi - He's being more open in part to the purple kryptonite. He's half asleep during most of this, with his mind quite distracted, so I felt it was reasonable. I think there's also part of him who is desperate to share part of who he is now that he is finally learning it. *shrug

Anyway, part 6: Mother
Posted By: bakasi Re: FDK: Purple - 07/18/21 11:35 AM
Aww, Clark finally has a connection to his biological mom. That was, very sweet and touching.

Waiting for more
Posted By: cuidadora Re: FDK: Purple - 07/18/21 03:41 PM
Two nice chapters. I especially liked the memories of his mother. I just hope that whatever happens, Lois and Perry keep his secrets.
Posted By: Terry Leatherwood Re: FDK: Purple - 07/21/21 01:24 AM
Oh, this is the perfect time for a revelation, at least from a dramatic point of view. He lets it slip that he's Clark in the midst of his tears and Lois can't possibly get mad at him because he's already upset.

She can get mad later.

My earliest memories don't go anywhere that far back. It's nice that he has some contact and direct memories of his bio parents, especially his mom. Very heartwarming, very touching. I'm ready for the next chapter.

I'm sure it'll be at least as good as the previous ones have been.

Posted By: Blueowl Re: FDK: Purple - 07/27/21 01:33 AM
bakasi -- I always wish in the show that there had been a specific thing from his mom to him, since there was the globe from Jor-El. Granted, it is very understandable that there hadn't been enough time. Thus, I figured this was something she might have done instead.

cuidadora -- Thanks, I suppose we'll see wink

Terry -- Thanks ^_^ I hope they are.

Here is part 7: Headache
Posted By: bakasi Re: FDK: Purple - 07/27/21 07:28 AM
Yay, Blueowl is back! Hope you had a nice vacation. This is another lovely chapter. It's good to see that Clark is finally ready to tell Lois his secret.

But this headache has me worried. He's bleeding all of a sudden? Hurry back with more
Posted By: Terry Leatherwood Re: FDK: Purple - 07/27/21 11:42 AM
Whoa. Epic, man, totally epic. Superman has a nosebleed!

Is that a precursor to a stroke? It certainly sounds as if his blood pressure is off the charts right now. And what's the reason? Will he continue the secret identity revelation or will they both be distracted by this new and very scary event?

Yikes.
Posted By: Blueowl Re: FDK: Purple - 07/28/21 01:33 AM
bakasi -- Thanks smile Yeah, the trip went really well. As for Clark, he is definitely ready, but is now side tracked.

Terry -- Yup, nosebleed. Definitely not good.

Here is part 8: Crystal
Posted By: bakasi Re: FDK: Purple - 07/28/21 04:36 PM
I liked your solution why the kryptonite was affecting Clark the way it did. There was a lot of tension and a great resolve. Eagerly waiting for the last two chapters.
Posted By: Blueowl Re: FDK: Purple - 07/29/21 12:43 AM
bakasi -- Thanks ^_^ I'm glad the solution made sense.

Part 9: Normal
Posted By: bakasi Re: FDK: Purple - 07/29/21 01:46 PM
I liked the revelation and that Lois wasn't angry, for once. Have I told you that your story is great?
Posted By: Blueowl Re: FDK: Purple - 07/30/21 01:53 AM
Originally Posted by bakasi
I liked the revelation and that Lois wasn't angry, for once. Have I told you that your story is great?

Thanks ^_^ Yeah, I wanted to write a revelation where Lois didn't react negatively. I think considering everything she would see no point in getting overly angry.

Anyway, here is the final part!: Legacy
Posted By: Mike M Re: FDK: Purple - 07/30/21 04:56 AM
I have truly enjoyed this story.

From the really original concept (Purple K) all the way through the revelation and trip to Smallville. This was a nicely designed and implemented ride for all of us readers.
Posted By: gr8shadesofElvis Re: FDK: Purple - 07/30/21 12:26 PM
Thanks for sharing this, I enjoyed reading it. I'll look forward to whatever comes next from you. smile
Posted By: bakasi Re: FDK: Purple - 07/30/21 04:11 PM
A very nice ending to a wonderful story
Posted By: cuidadora Re: FDK: Purple - 07/30/21 10:44 PM
I enjoyed this story from start to finish. It had a unique take on kryptonite, and nice to see no permanent damage to Superman. What a lovely ending, with Clark's unselfishness leading the way. Looking forward to more stories from you.
Posted By: Terry Leatherwood Re: FDK: Purple - 07/31/21 09:59 PM
Very nice ending. I, for one, did not think it was rushed. I do wish, though, that you'd told us more about Clark and Lois and their futures, which we all assume were to be intertwined. But that's just detail-ravenous me.

Purple K is data storage! I was right! Yay for Bernie! If you don't finish the upgrade, you're going to get yourself in serious trouble. We've all learned that, to our great chagrin.

I envision a thriving industry where kids wear a stylized version of the first initial of their last name on T-shirts or casual wear (hey, a great money-maker for the Superman Foundation! Kryptonian monograms on sleepwear and formal clothing!) or even sports teams. Imagine the Metropolis Crystal Dragons and the Philadelphia Tunnel Serpents ("I spend a month in Philadelphia one weekend." - W. C. Fields) facing off on the diamond/pitch/field/court/whatever. Kryptonian language immersion camps springing up beside their Klingon counterparts, and friendly rivalries springing up between them.

I also envision a few close-minded individuals actively campaigning against any and all things Krypton, including Superman, to little or no effect. The data storage technology alone would revolutionize multiple industries and the way of life all over the world. Wait - do I envision the start of Utopia here? Is this how it begins in this universe? Good job! Bring on the 900 channels with nothing on, you Tempus wussy you!

I almost forgot - I loved the revelation! You gave Lois a chance to beat herself up for being so mean to Clark, but you didn't show Clark being upset that he had to practically spell it out for her. ("Look, Lois, I'm wearing Clark Kent's undershorts. Do you think he and I are really that friendly?") And she was forced to control her reaction - she wouldn't want him to drop her from that height! And the shy wave at Martha? Priceless.

Thank you for relating this bard's tale. It's been fun, and I look forward to more from you.
Posted By: Blueowl Re: FDK: Purple - 08/06/21 12:53 AM
Mike M - Thanks, glad you enjoyed the ride ^_^

gr8shadesofElvis - I'm working on Act III of Investigate and hope to begin posting Act II (Investigate: Intergang) soon.

bakasi - Thanks smile

cuidadora - I always try to leave Clark better off overall whenever I leave him, which isn't hard to do considering his character laugh Glad you liked it.

Terry - Having Kryptonian-themed merchandise would be awesome! And having Kryptonian culture mesh/mix with human culture.... You definitely thought of things further than I initially had there. I will likely use that soon smile. Anyway, thanks for reading & reviewing.
Posted By: Lynn S. M. Re: FDK: Purple - 08/10/21 02:17 AM
What a wonderful story. It was not remotely like any I have read before. It’s premise was unique, and the L&C interactions rang true to character and were reminiscent of the show at its absolute best.

Thank you for this fun story. I had a hard time putting it down last night (long past my usual bedtime), and I finished it as soon as I had the free time today.

I believe this is the first story of yours that I have read, but I see you have posted some others which I plan to read as soon as time permits. If they are anywhere near as good as this one, you will be added to my mental list of favourite L&C authors.

Joy,
Lynn
Posted By: Penny_Lane Re: FDK: Purple - 08/19/21 03:38 PM
Wow! This story is excellent. Read it through without stopping. Loved the unique and original concept. Thanks for sharing your creative talents.
Posted By: PuffyTiger Re: FDK: Purple - 12/05/21 11:41 AM
I really love this. Superman being vulnerable, but not in a bad way, and needing help from his friends. I liked the tone throughout the story. I don't know how to describe it, but I liked it. I really like Clark being able to learn about Krypton and even remember some things, like his parents. They seem so distant and relatively unimportant to who Clark is in most cases, and they aren't here.

I think the chimes were a great touch. Like, you were calling it kryptonite, but at the same time giving evidence it wasn't bad. I remember bring a little anxious for Clark my first read through. But at the same time very intrigued by what the chiming meant.

I liked the pace of the story. How it unfolded and Clark incrementally remembered. Starting with the sunset and it's beauty, and kind of climaxing with Lois holding him as he remembered the destruction, his mother's words and the flight. It was just right.
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards