Part 6: Mother

"Oh! Let's go!" She jumped up, grateful she had kept her shoes on. "Come on, I can't let you go alone considering what could happen!" she continued, exasperated by his baffled look.

"Right. I'll just drop you off beyond the road then," he said, going to the window. "I've got to move fast." He held out his hand which she quickly took.

He held her close and Lois barely managed to take a breath when she felt them suddenly move.

The next second, she found herself on the side of the road about twenty feet away from the several vehicle crash.

A box truck was on its side, partially crushing the front end of a car, while three other cars and another truck had struck each other behind them with one twisted in the guard rail, no doubt from trying to avoid the truck. Several of the cars were smoking, as well as the far truck.

She hurried forward, pausing briefly as she spotted Superman ripping off a door after blowing an engine fire out. She approached the nearest car, immediately finding a female driver who was shaken but seemed alright. She gently helped her out and guided her to sit on the side of the road. Other people from stopped cars on the highway quickly got out and began to help as well. As awful as the situation was, it was actually quite inspiring to see so many people pull together to help.

A firetruck, ambulances and police began to arrive as Superman continued to meticulously open up crushed cars so people could be safely removed. Soon after, the crowd pulled back, realizing they would be in the way rather than helpful if they remained involved now that emergency crews had come, especially since it was beginning to get dark. The sun had all but set.

Lois remained closer than the rest, grimly watching the extraction of the injured. Thankfully there were no fatalities, but the number of backboards being brought out from the ambulances made it clear things were still serious. Through it all, Superman used his heat vision several times to cut through metal and crushed debris, carefully blowing cold breath on all the material soon after to prevent burns or fires.

Lois wasn’t sure how much time had passed, but things seemed to be winding down. The most seriously injured were already on their way to the hospital and a few more ambulances had arrived to help the rest.

Suddenly, there was a commotion at the truck at the opposite side of the pileup. Superman instantly disappeared and reappeared on that side.

"Everybody back! It’s magnesium!” Superman shouted.

Lois couldn't see much of what was happening as fire suddenly rose up like a phantom over the truck.

He shot forward, and for a split second Lois wondered why he didn’t just blow out the fire, but then she remembered a magnesium fire could only be put out chemically. His breath would cause water in the air to condense right onto it, and that in turn would feed it, and that's assuming the magnesium didn't blow into the air. What a scary thought! She wasn’t sure on the exact chemistry of it, but she knew magnesium and any form of water with it was bad, including humidity, and she remembered from somewhere that using a basic carbon dioxide fire extinguisher was also bad.

What was he going to do? What could he do?

He moved and, with his bare hands, grabbed the cracked container that had flames bursting from it before shooting straight up into the sky. Most everyone on the highway followed his progress up, which was surprisingly easy despite the darkening backdrop due to the white flashes intermingling with the flames lashing out from his grasp.

As soon as he was far enough above them, he tossed it up with a single powerful thrust. It looked like a shooting star going in reverse.

He remained hovering far above them all long after the shrinking glow finally disappeared. Several more seconds passed before a few officers below aimed their flashlights up onto his form that was faintly bobbing up and down in the air. Why was he not coming back down?

"Superman?! Are you okay?" one of them called up to him.

Finally, he slowly began to descend after blowing on his hands. To the surprise of those watching, even though he had his back to them, they saw steam rise and heard the crackle of ice and water vaporizing. He then shook out his hands and landed softly soon after, still keeping his back to them.

Lois ran to him, ignoring the startled looks from the officers.

"Superman?" she asked, stopping just behind him.

He took a deep, shuddering breath before clearing his throat and turning around.

"I just needed a moment," he stated, putting on a brave face and smiling reassuringly at the officers and everyone who could see him on the road. "Is there anything else I can do to help?" he asked the officer who seemed to be in charge.

"No, no, we can take it from here, Superman. Thanks so much for your help," he said, still a little confused about what had happened, but if Superman said he had just needed a moment, who was he to argue?

Superman focused on Lois as an officer was about to guide her behind the rest of the observing crowd.

"Shall we finish the interview, Ms. Lane?" he asked lightly, offering his hand.

"Please," she said, moving forward.

"Goodnight," he said to the gathered emergency personnel, before vanishing with Lois.

He slowed his flight halfway to her apartment and Lois became aware of how deeply he was breathing, as if he was trying to keep control of himself.

"What happened?" she asked softly. She knew there was no point in asking if he was alright.

"I remembered my mother, Lara, holding me," he said as they flew over the clouds.

"Oh." Lois didn't know what else to say to that, so just tightened her grip on him.

O o O o O

Neither spoke the rest of the way to her apartment. She felt he was grateful for the silence, so when he set her down and shut the window behind them she decided to give him a bit more space.

"Would you like some tea or something to drink?" she asked.

Superman brushed his hand across his forehead before pulling it back and looking at it.

"Actually, would it be alright if I took a shower first?" he asked tentatively.

"Oh! Of course," she said. He didn't look all that dirty considering what he had been doing, but she could see some grime on his hands and sleeves. A shower was probably a good idea. "Uh, my bathroom is through there and there're towels hanging up. Feel free to use whatever," she said.

"Thanks."

She watched him disappear into her bedroom that was connected to the master bath. A minute later, she heard the water turn on, prompting her to go to her kitchen and start some tea.

At least him taking a shower would give her some time to decide how to go about things. It was clear whatever he had seen had impacted him a great deal, but she was unsure how to help. It also made her wonder more about his past.

How well did he remember his mother?

How old was he when he left Krypton?

How much had he forgotten about Krypton and how much did he just never know to begin with?

When had he arrived on Earth?

Where did he grow up?

She now highly doubted he had grown up on Krypton. But did that mean he had grown up on Earth?

Her thoughts immediately halted as Superman returned. His hair was wet but his uniform was dry and much cleaner. He had been gone for less than two minutes!

With a gentle smile to her, he went past the kitchen and sat down on the couch.

Shrugging off the surrealness of witnessing how fast he could do things, she finished preparing the simple Lipton tea and brought it out with some sugar before sitting beside him.

"Do you want to talk about what you saw earlier?" Lois asked.

"Not sure what to say really," he said quietly. "My mother was holding me while walking outside. It was night and I saw the sky. There was a moon, but also a trail of smaller shapes that arched across the horizon, as if something big had crumbled in orbit a long time ago. We were on a balcony of some sort, overlooking a huge, glowing city of crystal."

He closed his eyes, recalling it in his mind’s eye with striking clarity.

The city sprawled below them shimmered in colors, standing out spectacularly beneath the night sky. Crystal structures stretched up high and branched over spans of slender walkways of metallic blue, giving the city an appearance of an immense tapestry. Chimes echoed in his mind, as if to whisper, this was home.

“It was called Kryptonopolis. It was where I was born.”

"Sounds beautiful," Lois said gently.

"Yes," he agreed, opening his eyes before taking a sip of his tea.

She watched him closely, her initial desire to ask him questions evaporating as she saw how tired and weary he had become. Admittedly, a lot had happened over the past day, even for him. Perhaps they should turn in.

She stood up abruptly, startling him.

"Lois?" he asked, concerned.

"Oh, it's okay, I'm going to go ahead and get you a pillow and some blankets," she said before pausing. "Are you okay sleeping on the couch like last time?" she asked, before babbling. "I mean, you can have my bed tonight, I don't mind, or I can pull out the cot. I know the couch isn't that comfortable. Though, does that matter to you?"

He hesitated before answering, no doubt weighing his answer. "The cot, please."

"I knew my couch was uncomfortable, but wow. Is it really that bad?" she asked, curious.

Relieved he hadn't insulted her, he relaxed and answered. "Although I haven't ever woken up sore due to a bad mattress or whatever, my sense of touch . . . I can feel all the imperfections of whatever I'm laying on or touching. It can make it a little hard to sleep sometimes. Granted, I can sleep while hovering, but that can come with its own batch of problems."

Lois smirked.

"What?" he asked, noticing her amusement.

"So you're like Princess Pea. The Princess and the Pea, I mean," she clarified.

"The -- oh, the fairy tail." He smiled as well. "I suppose that's a fair comparison, but I can still eventually fall asleep."

She nodded, before frowning.

"Why didn't you tell me the couch was bad the last time you stayed here?" she asked, referring to the weekend when he had been blinded.

"There were more important things to be concerned about at the time," he said, shrugging.

"I suppose that's true," she admitted, before becoming curious again. "So, sleep floating?"

"I do it probably once a week by accident. I've broken a few bed frames by falling when I wake up, but that hasn't happened in a while. Your cot should be safe."

She laughed. "Well, I'll go ahead and get that cot."

Five minutes later the cot was set up with a pillow and blanket. Lois also took out her spare toothbrush and toothpaste for him, which he used while she had set up his cot.

"Do you need another blanket?" Lois asked.

"One is fine. Temperature doesn't really bother me."

"But a lumpy mattress does," Lois smirked.

"And scratchy blankets," he added.

"Oh, I hate those!" Lois agreed. "My mom had me wear wool socks one time when it was cold out. They were torture!"

Superman shuddered, and Lois wasn't sure if he was exaggerating or not as they shared a laugh.

"Well, if you need anything, I'll just be in my room after I put these away," she said, gathering up their dishes and noting the time on the clock behind him was 9:12 pm.

Yeah, it was late enough.

"Thanks," Superman said, going to the cot at the side of the room, adjacent to the couch. He eased himself down.

She looked at him expectantly while finding the scene quite surreal. A bland tan cot with his colorful form seated on it.

"It's fine. No lumps," he assured with a smile. "Goodnight, Lois."

"Goodnight," she said, returning the smile before going to her room.

O o O o O

Clark smiled to himself as he heard Lois get ready for bed before he quietly sighed.

His parents would be worried. Likely already were.

Maybe he should go to a payphone real fast? But what if Lois heard him leave or noticed him gone? Or worse, what if when he left he fell into another sleepwalking spell and did something irreparable before he got back?

No. As much as he wanted to let his parents know he was alright, he couldn't risk it. They would understand once they learned and he would find a way to call them in the morning.

Nodding to himself, he quietly removed his red boots and parked them at the foot of the bed before laying down.

Thankfully, the curve of the cot was simple and smooth, providing balanced support far superior to the couch, and he fell asleep soon after.

The sound was exceedingly loud. Louder than a jet engine. And everything was shaking.

Where was he?

He was wrapped in something, but his arms and face were free.

What was happening?

Why couldn't he see anything? Why was it so dark?

But then the most terrifying question came.

Why was he alone?

Fear rose up like a furious dragon. Its jaws closed down onto his chest as he cried out. Unfortunately, his call for help was swallowed by the roar thrumming all around him.

Why was no one coming for him?

He had never been alone for so long before. He had never been so afraid.

And then a voice came forth, but instead of it coming from a direction, it seemed to be rooted in his mind.

"Kal-El," the loving voice said soothingly. "We love you so much. We love you. Mommy loves you. Please live. Please live, my son, and live well. We lo--"

And then the root was gone from his mind. Torn away by a distance further than any star.

His birth mom's last words. Her last thoughts. They had been for him.

She had loved him.

Of course, he had known that already, but hearing it, feeling it, was something else entirely.

And then the reality of what he had just experienced came crashing down upon him as his mother's voice, her final, loving words, echoed dimly in his mind.

The pain was immense and heavier than any space shuttle.

He wept.

And as he shed tears of loss and gratitude, he slowly became aware of arms around him.

O o O o O

Comments