A/N: This fic was initially meant to be a one shot, so I hope this wrap up is not too abrupt. I had a lot of fun writing this and I'm happy for the plot bunny that bounced out of the challenge by Queen of the Capes. Enjoy smile

Part 10: Legacy

Clark landed with Lois on the back porch and opened the door.

"Mom, Dad?" he called.

He already knew they were awake and in the house, as he could hear their heartbeats.

"Oh, Clark, when you didn't come home, we were worried!" his mother said, rushing out and embracing him.

"Sorry I didn't call, Mom, a lot of stuff happened," he said apologetically. "But everything is good now. Better than good."

"Thank goodness. So what happened, and you're sure you're alright now?" she asked, pulling back.

"Yeah. Dr. Klein and Lois, as well as Perry, helped me," he assured. "And we learned it wasn't actually kryptonite, but Kryptonian technology." He held it out to her, causing her to gasp. "Sort of like the globe, it took time for it to fully activate, and for me to absorb. It showed me my people's history, their culture, accomplishments, everything. . . ." He exhaled shakily. "I'm certain my parents had left it for me to use, but somehow it fell from my craft. I bet it was in the area where you had found me."

Martha hugged him again as Jonathan joined them.

"So glad to hear everything is okay now, son," he said, clapping him on his shoulder before freezing.

He had noticed Lois.

"Uh, hi," Lois said with a weak wave.

"Lois?" Martha asked, looking at her before turning back to Clark, who was still in his Superman uniform. Her eyebrows rose, her expression hopeful as she silently asked for an explanation.

"Oh! Uh, I sort of told Lois, or rather gave her enough clues to figure it out," he said with a weak laugh.

"Oh! I'm so glad you finally know!" Martha exclaimed happily. "I've been praying for this day for a while!"

Clark blushed.

"So have you two had breakfast?" Jonathan asked, also grinning. "I imagine you haven't because it's so early."

"Uh, no, we haven't," Lois said, slowly relaxing.

She hadn't really thought about how the Kents would feel about her joining in on their secret, but she was relieved they seemed to be happy. Thrilled really.

"Then let me start on giving you two a hearty Farmer’s breakfast. We have a lot to talk about!" Martha said, hurrying back inside.

Bemused, Lois looked at Clark who shrugged helplessly before leading her inside behind his dad.

The following hours were the best hours Lois could remember ever having with the family of a friend. She had never felt more welcomed and embraced. Even compared to the first time she had been in Smallville, which had been good, this was even better. It also helped that she hadn’t embarrassed herself like before.

Martha told her story after story about Clark’s childhood and she thoroughly enjoyed his embarrassment. It was adorable.

After lunch, Clark showed her around Smallville and ended at the place he called his Fortress of Solitude. An old tree house full of childhood toys with a sign written by a child’s hand. It was endearing and poignant, displaying the innocence of his childhood and the loneliness he had endured.

And then within he showed her the globe, playing all five messages that were within and sharing everything he knew about himself with her.

No more secrets.

O o O o O

The Exclusive that came out in the following week’s edition of the Daily Planet was no doubt the most newsworthy article of the year, perhaps decade. Within was the most in-depth interview Superman had ever given, answering questions concerning his people’s culture and unfortunate demise, and covering his request to the world to remember the Kryptonian people and to learn from their mistakes.

Overnight, Universities around the world were clamoring for heritage packages being put together by the Superman Foundation. Fortunately, through Perry’s contacts, producing and delivering those packages were efficient and swift.

Each contained material to learn Kryptonian language, history, math, and culture, along with copied descriptions and drawings of Krypton’s lost fauna and flora, all handwritten and drawn by Superman himself.

The lifelike drawings and artistic flare of the Kryptonian script intermingled with English scrawl was tantalizing. Unsurprisingly, it all enthused humanity beyond anything, giving them something tangible to grasp and something personal to relate to as they dived into the rich knowledge provided to them by the Last Son of Krypton.

S.T.A.R. Labs, led by Dr. Bernhard Klein, began an intense study of the purple crystal, ultimately discovering a way to replicate it and use it as a teaching device for humans and as a power source.

The world was beside itself, sparking an awakening comparable to the Renaissance. Some historians would even identify this event as the beginning of the Fifth Industrial Revolution, introducing the power of crystals and harmonious power cycles, coupled with easy knowledge storage and transfer. With such an abundance of free energy and avenue of new, expanding ideas, the planet was also allowed to heal itself from the effects of pollution.

In time, coupled with the encouraging example set before them by the Man of Steel and the unparalleled desire to ensure Earth would forever echo his legacy, mankind and his offspring rose, becoming a beacon of hope and power in the galaxy.

And it was all triggered by the sound of chimes and the pulse of a single crystal of purple.

~The End ~

Comments

Last edited by Blueowl; 07/29/21 09:51 PM.