Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: daneel FDK-Growing Up Super (4/4) - 11/15/05 09:05 AM
Good! A happy ending wink

Jose wave
Posted By: Karen Re: FDK-Growing Up Super (4/4) - 11/15/05 09:21 AM
Ah ha! I figured when you said there was a reason Nathan didn't complain that he spoke Russian. Though I wasn't sure *why*. I'm glad you explained that. The bad guys are caught, everyone is happy and safe. *And* Nathan is in Metropolis! (*mind busily sets up a happy super future for Emily and Nathan* laugh )

Wonderful story!
Posted By: rivka Re: FDK-Growing Up Super (4/4) - 11/15/05 10:25 AM
I read all four parts last night, but was too tired to post any feedback.

And I have to rush off to get the kids to school and me to work momentarily . . . but I know that if I don't post now, I will forget later.

So I don't have time to say much more than, Wow! That was great. smile Very, very nice. thumbsup

*hopefully* Sequel?
Posted By: Wendymr Re: FDK-Growing Up Super (4/4) - 11/15/05 10:49 AM
Really, really enjoyed this, Sarah - and given I'm not generally a fan of nextgens involving kids that's quite an achievement! wink

Like Karen, I'm busy plotting Emily and Nathan's future, so I hope that's what you had in mind. goofy

Wendy smile
Posted By: Simona Re: FDK-Growing Up Super (4/4) - 11/15/05 11:31 AM
What a nice and lovely story! smile1
I live very much the last scene, it gives us hope for a sequel! wink

simona smile
Posted By: gerry Re: FDK-Growing Up Super (4/4) - 11/15/05 11:58 AM
So Nathan understands Russian. That makes sense. Actually, I also figured that out from your reply comments in the third feedback thread.

And now Nathan knows the secret. Will he start getting into trouble along with Emily? She's too Lois not to. wink

Lovely new characters and lovely story.

gerry
Posted By: mariadferdez. Re: FDK-Growing Up Super (4/4) - 11/15/05 01:55 PM
Hi,

Great story! smile1
Posted By: Kitty Re: FDK-Growing Up Super (4/4) - 11/15/05 08:00 PM
More

I [Linked Image] [Linked Image] it.
Posted By: lovetvfan Re: FDK-Growing Up Super (4/4) - 11/16/05 03:27 AM
I REALLY liked the end to this one! I loved the fact that Nathan spoke Russian...that was cute...especially his comment of 'you'd have been better off with Chinese'...good job. Great fic! thumbsup
Posted By: Jenni Debb Re: FDK-Growing Up Super (4/4) - 11/16/05 05:19 AM
Hi,

I do love next gen stories and I thought this was one was very good.

Loved the kids and you had just enough A-plot to advance the relationship between Emily and Nathan.

I'm hoping you're now writing a sequel. smile

Yours Jenni
Posted By: Mister Data Re: FDK-Growing Up Super (4/4) - 11/16/05 02:19 PM
Just started reading this. I like it.

Will come back later to finish my comments.

James
Posted By: Anna B. the Greek Re: FDK-Growing Up Super (4/4) - 11/16/05 05:56 PM
Sorry I missed commenting earlier...

I must admit, I liked the first two parts better, but parts 3 and 4 were very good too. I enjoyed reading this story.

Hope you'll keep writing smile
See ya,
AnnaBtG.
Posted By: jwb Re: FDK-Growing Up Super (4/4) - 11/16/05 07:14 PM
Good, cute story. Lots of potential if you want to expand things, too. One thing I'm curious about, however is the thugs who tried to shoot Nathan in the alley. Jack stopped the bullet in front of them, didn't he? And they took off, so they know he's a super....
Posted By: Meerkat Re: FDK-Growing Up Super (4/4) - 11/16/05 11:16 PM
Thanks for reading, everybody!

To reply to a few specific comments...

I realize that I probably shouldn't have said what I did about the Russian in my comments folder; I gave too much away. I had just wanted to know if that satisfied their thoughts on that subject, or if they felt that Nathan should have pretended he didn't understand so they wouldn't wonder themselves.

My thought, with the two guys having their bullets grabbed out of the air, was that they would just freak, not believing what they'd seen. After all, they're not in Metropolis, and while they've probably heard of Superman, it would be a more distant thing... he goes around the world for larger disasters, but not to stop bank robbers. And it's a dark alley... etc. Is that enough explanation, or should I try to go back and fix that somehow?

Originally, I wasn't planning a sequel, and I was going to reply to this post saying that I'd already told Emily and Nathan's story and that it was done. However, I started thinking about what a sequel might *be* if I were to write one... and, shall we say, the muse perked up her ears. So, I have lots of ideas and I'm working on writing them now, so there may be a sequel after all!

Thanks again for reading and for all your comments.
Posted By: rivka Re: FDK-Growing Up Super (4/4) - 11/16/05 11:28 PM
Originally posted by Meerkat:
However, I started thinking about what a sequel might *be* if I were to write one... and, shall we say, the muse perked up her ears. So, I have lots of ideas and I'm working on writing them now, so there may be a sequel after all!
dance
Posted By: TriciaW Re: FDK-Growing Up Super (4/4) - 11/17/05 04:19 AM
Sarah

This is a wonderful story. smile1 I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Tricia cool
Posted By: Kitty Re: FDK-Growing Up Super (4/4) - 11/17/05 08:03 PM
Originally, I wasn't planning a sequel, and I was going to reply to this post saying that I'd already told Emily and Nathan's story and that it was done. However, I started thinking about what a sequel might *be* if I were to write one... and, shall we say, the muse perked up her ears. So, I have lots of ideas and I'm working on writing them now, so there may be a sequel after all!
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] dance
Posted By: Mister Data Re: FDK-Growing Up Super (4/4) - 11/18/05 03:27 PM
A very well done NextGen.

I look forward to more of Nathan, Jack and Emily.

James
Posted By: TicAndToc Re: FDK-Growing Up Super (4/4) - 11/19/05 10:13 AM
I liked this story a lot! I'm so glad Nathan's in Metropolis... I, too, will be delighted to read more of their story. Considering their increasingly close friendship, I imagine they'll be coconspirators in any adventures...

As for your comments on the Russian-speaking: I'm not sure how you could change the scene, really... it's so immediate, you know? You can't really go off on a tangent about Nathan in the middle of Jack and Emily's planning... Well, okay, I guess you could...

If he said anything in that scene, he'd probably have replied or commented in Russian, right? Since that's what they were speaking at the moment? (Maybe a curse in Russian just as they flee the building, like when Jack grabs him? I'm sure neither Emily nor Nathan were exactly grabbed gently at that point! goofy That could result in some mildly panicked conversation between Jack and Emily once they pick themselves up and dust themselves off after the explosion. goofy )

Nathan's reacted with silence before, and he's a smart kid. He'd understand they'd switched languages to exclude him. Maybe Nathan could just move restlessly when they first start speaking in Russian. The thing is, though, you do explain it further down in the story, and on the Archive (HINT, HINT), the story isn't separated into parts. So leaving that scene as is works for me.

As for any sort of fix to the bullets/robbers scene... I don't know. Maybe a throw-away comment overheard by Jack and Emily as the robbers vamoose? Along the lines of "last time we buy any coke from that dealer"? goofy

Anyway. I really liked the story, and I am another one who rarely reads any next-gen stuff. I'd love to see more of Nathan and Emily's adventures. Either right after he arrives or as they get older. Hey, you could have a series here, you know.

Give that muse free reign!

~Toc
Posted By: Ank. K. S. Re: FDK-Growing Up Super (4/4) - 11/20/05 02:19 PM
Whoopsies!

Loved the ending! thumbsup
Posted By: luvin_my_LnC Re: FDK-Growing Up Super (4/4) - 11/22/05 04:43 PM
Read the entire story and loved it. Although I do love the "thing" going on between Emily and Nathan it seems to copy-cat to the real LnC if you were to further the relationship. If you were to make a sequal I probably would read it (guilty as charged), but it may be too difficult to keep it going without seeming the same as Lois and Clark, but different names.

I think I've blabbered on too much, hope you understand what I mean.

Excellent next-generartion story!
Posted By: Meerkat Re: FDK-Growing Up Super (4/4) - 11/23/05 11:46 AM
Replying again as several people added their comments after I'd already responded.

I'm glad you thought the Russian/Nathan thing was okay with the next part happening soon after it. That was my thought, originally, that as it wouldn't be split on the archive it wouldn't matter. I think I'll leave that bit as it is, since most people seemed to think it worked.

lovin_my_lnc, I'm curious what elements of Emily and Nathan's relationship are too like Lois and Clark's? It would help to know, so that I could make a decision on whether I can alter things to make things not such a throwback to Emily's parents, or whether it's a lost cause. smile

The sequel will probably take place a few years later, possibly when Emily and Nathan are 14 (or a little older). I'm trying to work out some timing issues regards when certain super-powers would arrive. It's still in the plotting stages, though, so it will probably be a few months before it's ready.

Thanks again for reading!
Posted By: luvin_my_LnC Re: FDK-Growing Up Super (4/4) - 11/27/05 05:08 PM
Hey Meerkat

Sorry did not notice your question or I would have replied sooner. Reflecting on my previous comments I have decided that it could work, but let me first answer why I thought it would have been a LnC replica:

The way that you have written it just seems to be Lois and Clark all over again. The denial on the part of Nathan (rather then the female - being Lois, it is now a male, which granted might introduce a new perspective but it is still a copy cat). Also I think that this relationship is leading to another "Soul Mate" type story line. I think that it would just be too ironic and predictable that the children of the perfect couple (being Lois and Clark) grow up to move on and have perfect relationships themselves. Going along with the "Soul Mate" idea, I think that creating another generation takes away from the specialness of LnC. It is not everyday that one finds there soul mate and by having it happen in two consecutive generations takes away from that special bond (dreamlike/fantasy world ideas) that LnC share.

The reasons I think it could work:

The story would be told from a different perspective based on gender. The stubborn, hard headed and even sometimes cold hearted character would now be a male where as the naive, one man can save the world, compassionate and caring character would now be female. With that we would also see how Super Powers get in the way of leading a healthy relationship from a female point of view.

OK I think that is all I have to say and I hope this helps. One key pointer I have for you is to continue writting the story regardless of what others say and granted I do have a "strange" outlook on the world so definately do not base your descision on my opinion. Good luck and if you have further questions please post! If I think of anything else I will do the same.
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards