Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: lynnm FDK: Summer Dreaming - Part 1 - 10/20/04 06:24 PM
Oooo, Wendy! A new story. With such an intriguing start!!

So, Lois is married to Lex. Clark is a beach bum. Although I'm guessing not so much of a bum as a drifter? But since these two are destined for each other, they are destined to meet despite their desparate backgrounds.

I especially loved how well you've captured the frustrations of being a struggling writer <g>. It provided an immediate connection between these two. How come I have a feeling Lois is oh-so-wrong in her prediction that she will never see the handsome stranger again? The mystery is, how did he end up on her beach in the first place? Chance? Luck? Good planning? Fate?

I'm really looking foward to seeing how this unfolds - wonderful start. smile

Lynn
Posted By: Karen Re: FDK: Summer Dreaming - Part 1 - 10/20/04 06:30 PM
Wow, Wendy, what a great and truly evil start. Yes, I mean it, evil. First off,

Married to the third-richest man in the world.
AAAUUUUGGGGHHH! No! Say it ain't so! But why? Why would she marry him?

"Nice to meet you, Lois. I'm Clark."
Ah, of course! She didn't know her options! Now it makes sense. Poor Lois...

And then, of course, she comes to her senses, and then Clark leaves. Come back, Clark, come back! Show her what she should do now that she's faced the truth! Come Baaaaaaaack!

And Wendy, come back with the next part! You can't leave us like this! laugh
Posted By: Julie S Re: FDK: Summer Dreaming - Part 1 - 10/20/04 06:45 PM
he showed her in so many ways, including his lovemaking. He had turned out to be a considerate, courteous lover.
Ewww. I think everyone agrees. laugh

on this stretch of the north-eastern shore of Lake Superior.
Yay, Canada. wink You already know what I think about that. laugh

"Hi, Clark." She smiled back. "Your accent's American, not Canadian. Mid-west?"
That too. I don't find the accent around here very different. And I've lived here longer than you. laugh

He was gone. And she knew that she would never see him again.
We know it's probably not true, but still. mecry

I'm really anxious to see where this goes! Poor Lois. frown Poor Clark. frown

Julie smile
Posted By: mmprincess Re: FDK: Summer Dreaming - Part 1 - 10/20/04 11:07 PM
Wow! This one's definitely new. I can't wait to see how this one unravels. Post again soon.
Posted By: daneel Re: FDK: Summer Dreaming - Part 1 - 10/20/04 11:26 PM
Oh! eek

What a surprise.... hyper
Posted By: Bethy Re: FDK: Summer Dreaming - Part 1 - 10/21/04 02:21 AM
Yay, Wendy! You posted!!!

/me cheers, but then realizes it makes it hard to read. <g>

I love this start. As Lynn said, the frustration Lois felt with her writing was *so* easy to relate to! And, yay! Lois realizes that she doesn't love Lex and only married him because the Planet blew up! Now, smart investigator girl, get that brain in gear and think about the oh-so-convenient *timing* of that explosion, why don't you? <g>

Can't wait to see where you go with this!

Bethy
Posted By: KSaraSara Re: FDK: Summer Dreaming - Part 1 - 10/21/04 02:48 AM
Whoohoo!!! Yay!! Another Wendy fic! And it's a short one too...shucks...can't blame her for not getting any homework done. wink

Yet she was the last person in the world who had a right to be dissatisfied with her life. She had it all. Married to the third-richest man in the world.
If I *hadn't* known this was coming...this would have been my reaction:

drool

"Ah. You need distracting, then. To take your mind off it. And then, later... who knows?" He grinned at her. "Come back to it fresh and the words will flow like water."
Is it just me, or is everyone else feeling the electrical tension in this convo? <g>

"It's only that you have a laptop. And the way you glared at the screen just now... well, it reminded me of myself when I get blocked. It's frustrating."
LOL! Open mouth, insert foot, Lois. <g>

But she didn't want them to go off, she realised. This man, whoever he was, was *nice*. Friendly. Easy to talk to. Sympathetic. And good company.
*happy sigh*

Not that it would have made any difference at all, she reminded herself. A few months ago she was engaged to Lex. She would never have been in a situation where she and Clark would have met.
Ack!!! /me throws another two cents in the jar...no...better make that two bucks <g>

"You did?" His expression was excited, envious. "What did you do? Oh, wait," he added, now sounding embarrassed. "What a faux pas! You write... your name's Lois... you're Lois Lane!"
Awww!!!! Clark's so cute!!!

"Wow! I know this sounds really gauche, but you're my hero!
Awww!!!! Clark's so cute!!! Wait...already said that...uh...oh who cares?! He's cute!! <g>

Lois felt again the pang of resentment at the abrupt ending of her career as a reporter.
Awwww!! frown

But before she could say a word, he clapped his hand to his forehead. "You must think I'm an idiot," he said, now sounding embarrassed.
Can I say he's cute again? Okay...I'll say adorable instead. Can I keep him?! Please...Lois is married anyways...<bg>

She would have married Lex because she loved him. But in the end, it had almost been as if she'd married him because her preferred choice no longer existed.
/me throws one cent in the jar (she's already most of the way there on this one <g>)

"Good luck with your novel. And it was really nice meeting you."
Okay...now he's a lunkhead...a very gentlemanly lunkhead...but I want to hit him! razz

ACK!!! No, no, no!! He didn't really leave did he?! frown So what if you can't see him anymore? Just yell for him....he's got *really* good hearing. <g> Clark! Come back!!

Okay...don't blame me, I did this at 3 in the morning. laugh I'm continually amazed by your writing, Wendy! You have the power to draw the reader completely into the story (well...okay...not *completely* otherwise I might have interfered a litte <bg>). And you capture the characters *so* well, no matter what situation you put them in, I always find myself thinking: That's *exactly* how they would act if that happened! Okay, actually, I'm more likely to be screaming at the computer or sighing or sobbing or something of the sort, but that just tells you how well you've drawn me in. wink Can't wait to see the rest of this, Wendy!!!

Sara (who might be thouroughly embarassed in IRC tomorrow after all the gushing...but...eh...who cares <bg>)
Posted By: avia Re: FDK: Summer Dreaming - Part 1 - 10/21/04 03:57 AM
Wendy,
This is a great start. I like all the background details that you've inserted into this part. I’m particularly fond of the new take of Lois and Lex’s relationship.

So, what’s the posting schedule and will you be posting the rest of the trilogy when this story is done?

Avia
Posted By: YConnell Re: FDK: Summer Dreaming - Part 1 - 10/21/04 04:40 AM
Yay! Well, everyone's gone nuts about the intriguing set-up, so I'll go nuts about the atmosphere. Don't you just love the breezy, idyll-like ambience Wendy's managed to imbue this story with? You can really smell the fresh air, see the lake and the trees and the big sunny blue sky. A chance encounter on a beach that leads to a chat between strangers - great stuff, Wendy. thumbsup

Yvonne
Posted By: Anonymous Re: FDK: Summer Dreaming - Part 1 - 10/21/04 05:27 AM
This story sound wonderfully interesting so far, looking forward to the next bit!

TEEEEEEEJ
Posted By: Julia Re: FDK: Summer Dreaming - Part 1 - 10/21/04 11:49 AM
Oh wow, that's a promising beginning. help Good thing Clark showed up. I suppose his presence will disturb the peace. laugh laugh laugh

Looking forward to more,

~Julia wave
Posted By: Simona Re: FDK: Summer Dreaming - Part 1 - 10/21/04 01:45 PM
This is great! clap clap clap
Wendy always manages to surprise us with her set-ups! Only Lois (however without her dream-job and instead with an unhappy marriage) is able to meet a Clark-guy on the beach of a lake! I mean, I tried to stay on a park-bench near the Puccini's lake, where he composed the "Madame Butterfly", in the summer evening, when the pink clouds reflet themselves on the lake'waters: no Clark-looking guy appeared from nowhere! Do you think it's because the sad memory of the poor Cio Cio San? wink
Seriously; however handsome, nice, friendly (and so on) Clark may be, Lois must be very unhappy and confused with her marriage: Lex seems to her devoted and in love, her sex life is nice (okay, it's rather poor, but she was not forced by her husband like we have read in some stories), she can have anything and do anything; but it's enough few minutes with Clark and she understands she doesn't love Lex and she shouldn't have married him! I'm wondering what's going to happen when she descovers her husband be an evil villain! We have to hope that Clark will be there for her again!
Looking forward to the new instalment,

Simona smile

Edit post:
I'm realizing I took for granted that Lex is the usual evil man and murderer: what's going to happen if he's not? Will that be more difficult for Lois to accept she made the wrong thing marring Luthor or not?
Posted By: sunrei Re: FDK: Summer Dreaming - Part 1 - 10/21/04 04:16 PM
Yay Wendy!

I must admit to feeling a little bit uncomfortable with the 'nice Lex' persona. I'm starting to think that it's a side effect from FoLC membership to never want L&C to play nicely with other kids. wink

But then again, there is still the issue about the explosion that *encouraged* Lois to get married...

Broad shoulders, a strong chin, straight nose, hair flopping over his forehead.
Not bad for a bum in a scraggly shirt, eh?

I'm excited to see where this one goes! Do we get inside Clark's head?

~sunkist
p.s. ditto Avia with the trilogy comment
Posted By: SJH Re: FDK: Summer Dreaming - Part 1 - 10/21/04 04:43 PM
I wonder if Clark lives near by and was taking a walk.
Posted By: Laurach Re: FDK: Summer Dreaming - Part 1 - 10/21/04 07:53 PM
Nice start Wendy. I am looking forward to seeing where this goes. Laura
Posted By: gerry Re: FDK: Summer Dreaming - Part 1 - 10/21/04 08:50 PM
Wendy, I found the opening paragraph beautifully written both geographically and in mood.

I see Lois's marriage to Lex a little differently than others do here. I think that Lois believes that she's happy with Lex. In the beginning, she isn't happy with her life. She doesn't pin her unhappiness on Lex.

Only after she meets Clark does she realize that the reason for her unhappiness isn't that she's married the wrong man, but that she's left her career behind and she misses it more than she ever expected.

I like the idea of that being the reason for her unhappiness rather than "a man"--well, a super man--but a man nonetheless. Maybe being with Clark allows her to live the life that she would choose for herself.

Now I have to read the rest to find out how it all resolves itself.

gerry
Posted By: ChaaBreh Re: FDK: Summer Dreaming - Part 1 - 10/21/04 10:26 PM
I just bet some of you (like me) wouldn't be so grossed out by Lois and Lex's "lovemakring" if it was MR of Smallville fame playing Lex instead of John Shea....HUH??

Anyway, great premise....is there a Superman? Of course not, because Lois has to suggest the idea. Think about it...why WOULD Clark ever settle down if he doesn't need to eat, doesn't really need an apartment because he doesn't really need to sleep, so he doesn't really need money. He doesn't need a car to get around...no car pmts necessary!

He can get a good home-cooked meal at Ma's any time.

So this is where our Clark is.....drifting around aimlessly following his dream of writing "that" novel.

Lois....marrying for obviously the wrong reasons.

And you're gonna conclude this in 3 more parts? Nah, I smell a .........SEQUEL!
Posted By: TriciaW Re: FDK: Summer Dreaming - Part 1 - 10/22/04 03:33 AM
Wendy

A superb start! smile1

Tricia cool
Posted By: Sira Re: FDK: Summer Dreaming - Part 1 - 10/22/04 07:09 AM
Oh wow! What a beginning! What a premise!
I'm VERY curious to find out what is to happen next!

i.e. Next part, pretty please?
thumbsup clap

Sira
Posted By: Gabriele Re: FDK: Summer Dreaming - Part 1 - 10/22/04 09:18 AM
Originally posted by skfolc:
Okay...now he's a lunkhead...a very gentlemanly lunkhead...but I want to hit him!
But really, what should and could Clark do? He meets a lady, she turns to be his idol, he openly admires her work as a journalist, they hava a common deam to write a novel - and then he realizes she is married.

I believe this means he is attrached - and he realizes it's too dangerous to stay.

As for Lois, she is rather too nice to be her - is she so bored and lonely? And why is she not a bit guarded against a journalist - because she wants to disobey Lex's warnings?
Posted By: Supes1fan Re: FDK: Summer Dreaming - Part 1 - 10/22/04 10:07 AM
Oops, I'm late to the gushing.. wink

Nice premise..more soon!

~Liz
Posted By: mariadferdez. Re: FDK: Summer Dreaming - Part 1 - 10/22/04 04:01 PM
Hi,

Great start. thumbsup

But Lex hadn't behaved like that. He still told her that he loved her at least once a day. He continually brought her little gifts - trinkets, he called them. Like the gold and ruby bracelet she was wearing now. Or the diamond and sapphire pendant which was back in the safe in their Metropolis penthouse.

Tokens of her husband's esteem. Or symbols of his possession?

But that wasn't fair. Lex loved her. She knew that - he told her so, and he showed her in so many ways, including his lovemaking. He had turned out to be a considerate, courteous lover. Okay, so what if their sex life didn’t set the sky on fire? It was good. It was pleasant. It was... nice.

And she was still restless and unhappy.
I'm not a Luthor fan. frown

eek Can this Luthor be different?

His expression was eager. "Really? I've wanted to move to Metropolis for years. I should have gone last year, but my dad got sick and I went home to help out on the farm for a while. He's better now." Clark's expression showed how pleased he was about that. "Then a few months ago I was all set to move up - but something happened which changed my plans."

"What was that?" She'd almost had this gorgeous, really nice man in the same city as her?

Not that it would have made any difference at all, she reminded herself. A few months ago she was engaged to Lex. She would never have been in a situation where she and Clark would have met.

Although he did say he was a freelance reporter...

"I've always wanted to work at the Daily Planet," he explained. "But - I guess you know, if you're from Metropolis - back in the beginning of May the building was destroyed in an explosion. There was some problem with the paper's finances anyway, I read, and there just wasn't enough money to rebuild and get the paper started again."
eek Poor Clark he came to late to Lois life.

He looked taken aback, however - or was it an act? "No, I don't - should I? Though I guess if you own someplace like this..." He waved around, at the beach, the house, the masses of space. "It's only that you have a laptop. And the way you glared at the screen just now... well, it reminded me of myself when I get blocked. It's frustrating."

"You write?" Was he a tabloid reporter?

He shrugged. "If you can call it that. I'm a freelance journalist. And would-be novelist, I guess, if I could ever manage to finish more than a couple of chapters of any of my great ideas. They all seem so wonderful inside my head, but..."
confused Lois is living in a private property and only by boat or helicopter. Where in the island dose he lives?

Clark was shifting awkwardly, she realised; the movement drew her attention back to him. "I'm sorry," he said abruptly. "I'm intruding. I'll leave you alone."

"Clark..." she began to protest, but he was already standing up.

"Good luck with your novel. And it was really nice meeting you."

He turned and began striding away. And a few moments later, while Lois was still struggling between wanting to call him back and thinking that maybe it was just as well that he was leaving, he disappeared from view.

hyper
Posted By: tipiwoman Re: FDK: Summer Dreaming - Part 1 - 10/22/04 04:43 PM
Well wendy, outdone yourself again, I see. It must be the influence of all that wonderful Canadian fresh air!

Yes indeed. I coudl see the house, a lovely white house on the beach of the huge lake that looks like an ocean, and the woods nearby, and the cliff.

Of course, all you slow folcs (grin) Clark FLEW in. Lake Superior is about as close to anywhere as the arctic is. okay, well, maybe further away. Anyway, Lex has many homes, like the queen of course!

I thought it was really nice and calm. There she is, warm at the cottage looking at the view, nice life, nice husband. It was really nice to see Lex as a nice man. Okay, we all know the truth, but it's so nice that he's nice to her. She is rather stuck with him at this point after all, so at least he's not the horrible man we all suspect he will become if she tries to investigate him or go against his will.

It also makes sense that he'd like to have her stay up at the cottage alone with the housekeeper, the cook, the gardener, the butler, the upstairs maid...but nobody else.

I like how Clark has just dropped in to look at the view. He's relaxed. He's not a bum at all of course, he's just gone to one nice spot and didn't notice how close he was to a house. A house that is probbly usually closed up for the winter and such.

sigh. I like this. So now I'll go search aroudn and see if part two is there and maybe the rest...if i wait long enough to start reading a story, I am rewarded by finding tons of parts!!!

Nancy
Posted By: Wendymr Re: FDK: Summer Dreaming - Part 1 - 10/22/04 05:56 PM
Wow!! I'm amazed and overwhelmed by the number of responses to this! Thank you all, so very much indeed. goofy - not only have I never watched Smallville and never intend to, I'm a great fan of John Shea. thumbsup I adore the way he played Lex Luthor. He's extremely attractive, and his Lex played on that - we have the personable manner, the lavish amounts of charm and the way he has of seeming to give his whole attention to the person he's with. If all we ever saw was the public persona of Shea's Lex Luthor, and we didn't know from Superman mythology that Lex is a villain, we'd be taken in. In fact, without knowing his evil nature I'd see him as a deserving rival for Clark! wink

Anyway, I'm going to try to post part 2 tomorrow; part 3 some time during the coming week (I have a houseful of visitors for the next 10 days, which will reduce my internet time somewhat! wink ).

Thank you all again, so much indeed!

Wendy smile
Posted By: SuperRoo Re: FDK: Summer Dreaming - Part 1 - 10/23/04 09:32 AM
Bubble bath, fanfic, not a sound...PERFECT.

Poor poor Lois - she didn't know Clark! Oh I am really going to enjoy this story. So Lex is a 'good' guy? If he is, I'm going to feel sorry for him when she leaves. She will leave right? Well I'll hop on for the ride to find out!

I was a little paranoid that there would be cameras on the island and Lex would have seen the intruder Clark. I saw him getting mad at Lois...but no Lex isn't evil here, right?

Me and my paranoid brain!

OH! PART TWO IS HERE!!! hyper
Posted By: Trenna Re: FDK: Summer Dreaming - Part 1 - 10/23/04 02:14 PM
Hi Wendy, I'm late getting here too but wanted to say I'm enjoying it already.

Lex without the influence of Superman is going to be different even though he still got control of Lois by destroying the Planet. Since he's got what he wants, he's still being nice. Can't wait to see what you do with this character.

Guess Clark didn't get hit (or Lois) with a thunderbolt on meeting. Even in the series, I've always wondered if Clark was supposed to have been knocked off his feet when he met Lois at the Planet or when he saw her at the Luther Ball.

I'm sure he'll find a way to run into her again smile

Off to read Part 2 smile
Posted By: Wendymr Re: FDK: Summer Dreaming - Part 1 - 10/27/04 12:06 PM
Trenna! Almost missed you here! Thank you for taking the time to post, and I'm so glad that you're enjoying this. laugh As for whether Clark was hit with a metaphorical thunderbolt on meeting Lois or not, you'll have to read on to find out! goofy

Wendy smile
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards