Lois & Clark Forums
Sorry, no preview this time. Anything I posted would give too much away.

So, that's three stories down, one to go.

A big thank you to my three wonderful BRs - Iolanthe, who is amazing at plot, Deja Vu, who is spectacular at grammar, and Lynn, who always notices those little words that should be there, but aren't.

Thank you also to everyone who is still reading. Thank you to those who have taken the time to leave FDK. I thoroughly enjoy your speculation and need your encouragement. I often re-read the FDK threads when Goo has collapsed, and we are both convinced that we won't ever again write another line that makes sense!!

We've finished the Trail. Next comes the Highway.

Corrina. wave
Holy cow! Well, as always, I'm blown away by your talent. I am so addicted to this story. I knew it'd end on a cliffhanger, but jeeze! Haha. Can't wait for Highway. I REALLY can't wait for that kiss and Martha's big debut. :-)
I love how Corrina weaves LnC story-line into the stories that she pulls out of the air. I was expecting a kiss when Clark left, so since she did not have it (on purpose) this is something important. Wish I knew what all these clues mean!

Thanks to Corrina for such a rich, fully developed story. Now, I cannot wait until it is time to get on the Highway!

Pat dance
Ooooo- As I started reading, I had an inkling you were going to do this to us! Cruel, just cruel! grumble

I'm wondering if Martha will come straight away. Will she and Lois recognize each other by seeing their own agony reflected in the other's eyes?

Hope you start on the sequel soon!
Delightful cliffhanger. Lovely part, especially all the documentation.

"That's wonderful," Lois said. "And Layla? Did she get her college portfolio completed?"

Evan prefaced his reply with a smile. "She did. She's ... ah ... actually, she's working on another project now....He laughed nervously. "My daughter's project," he said. He thrust the jumpsuit at Clark. "Your disguise."
Oh so much better than finding the suit at the farm. So the stock Superman suit without the family emblem. Excellent.

Looking forward to the "Highway".

Oh and if he does crash to Earth, please consider a spectacular impact such as the one from "Superman Returns".

Of course for a really evil course of events you can have him crash someplace else in the world and not have his memory and take a few years to regain it. He could be mistaken for a missing reporter and start submitting news items to a wire service. Have some trials and tribulations as he travels the world.

In the USA Lois Lane ends up leading the fight to take down Lex Luthor. Lois spends some time in Smallville and really does take to small town living even without Clark but She learns of Lex Luthor and his criminal activities from her father. She takes on the cover identity of a reporter to allow her to be wandering around Metropolis asking questions. Smallville remains her home base and her refuge.

The Daily Planet gets a new editor, a semi-retired agent named Perry White. Perry having been one of Lois early trainers and mentor in the agency. Perry has met and bonded with Clark on Perry's last overseas assignment. He just does not the man he knows is Clark Kent.

Lois is making headway but is till having problems getting usable proof.

Clark takes down a major section of Luthor's overseas operations along with several outposts of Intergang. Then he finally makes his way to the USA.

You could string this out for two or three years. : )
I can't believe how far we've come!! -- cause this story is a journey for all of us, I think.

When the red underpants appeared... thumbsup
This was the perfect way to end this story. I know it's essentially a cliffhanger, but it doesn't feel like one to me. We know what happens next in canon, and although we don't know what spin you will put on it, I have every confidence that it's going to be spectacular. thumbsup

Shadbolt took two unsteady steps forward, his eyes never leaving Clark's face. "Mr Kent," he said in a hoarse and crumbly voice. He roughly cleared his throat. "Mr Kent. I'm sorry."

The walls of the small room seemed to close in on them, shrinking the space between them. Shadbolt's eyes didn't waver. In them, Clark could see shame. And such sincere contrition that it was almost painful to observe. Finding his own throat dry, Clark offered his hand and only said, "Mr Shadbolt."
A wonderful, powerful, very important exchange. Important for both Clark and Shadbolt.

He shut the door and stood there, looking acutely uncomfortable. His eyes dwelled on the garment he was carrying. He laughed nervously. "My daughter's project," he said. He thrust the jumpsuit at Clark. "Your disguise."

Clark's mouth fell open. "I'm supposed to wear *that*?" he gasped.

"We asked Layla to design something that a comic hero might wear." He shrugged. "Guess there's no telling what a teenager will dream up."
Heh, this was great. I never would have thought of it on my own, but AmyPrime nailed it in the last feedback thread. Brava to both of you for even coming up with it!

And the whole exchange covering Clark's reaction to it was fantastic. With his history, he would think they were all crazy for even suggesting he wear such a thing. Not to mention how the cut of the suit pushes his modesty button.

I loved how he had his initial reaction in front of Shadbolt, though, and how he asked, "It looks stupid, doesn't it?" when Shadbolt first saw him in it. If nothing else convinced Evan that Clark was just a regular guy, that definitely should do it.

I did think it was a breakthrough that Clark let Lois help him put on the suit, though. Even if he wasn't completely undressed in front of her, that had to be a big mental obstacle for him to overcome. The bedroom therapy helped, as did the urgency of the situation, but it was still probably hard for him. And yes, the red briefs are important for giving him back at least a little modesty -- otherwise it would be like the black suit he got from the NKers. (swoon and wink )

One UK/Aussie English bit that slipped in, though:
But Lois wasn't laughing. "Wow," she said softly. "Wow. You look exactly right."

"For a fancy-dress party, maybe," he grumbled.
Clark would say, "For a costume party, maybe." In the US, a "fancy dress party" would mean something like Lex Luthor's White Orchid Ball -- an event where the men wear tuxedos and the women wear ball gowns. We use the word fancy to mean "extra nice" or "elaborate".

Uncertainty flooded his expression, and she waited for him to speak. "Would ... would you like me to kiss you now?" he asked.

"No."

"No?"

"If you kiss me now, it is going to be borne of desperation and fear," she said. "It will feel like we're scared that you won't return."
I truly though this is where you were going to give them their first kiss -- like when Lois kisses Superman in canon -- but this makes more sense. Especially given Clark's concern about negative physical associations, I think Lois is really smart to not have all this fear surrounding their first kiss. Heartbreaking, but well done, Corrina.

I can't wait for Thursday and H1! I am super excited to see what comes next. You absolutely rock, Corrina! sloppy

Kathy
ok you know an amazing chapter when you read a few lines then check the scroll bar to see how much you have left and breathe a sigh of relief when you see you still have a lot to go. But then that turns to dismay when you come to the end!

Amazing chapter, I cannot even tell you. I'm going to go read it again, in fact. You handled the press conference and Shadbolt perfectly. Oh how I love this fic!
Everyone else pretty much covered it, but this was a super fantastic part! And I know that it technically ended on a huge cliffhanger - luckily, one we are familiar with smile - it didn't feel like one confused smile1 smile1 smile1

laugh
Ha! Way back when, as I read about Shadbolt and his magazines, I thought, "This is significant. There is a reason for the names of these magazines." I couldn't figure out what it was. Something to do with Clark being an alien? No, something else. Something significant. What could it be?

But then, to be honest, I forgot about it. So, when I read in the last chapter about Shadbolt's new job, it still didn't click. Until Lois said it here. AHA! Yes. I *knew* that was going to fit in somewhere, somehow! I do LOVE the way you write. How you don't just wander all over the place, but tie everything together. How things mentioned in passing on page 1 will show up again with renewed meaning on page 988. It makes reading your stories such a pleasure.

And this chapter, was, from start to finish, a pleasure to read. Especially the costume. I was laughing out loud at Clark's reaction. And Lois, telling him the red underwear were "shorts" - shorts with a cute yellow belt to be worn on *top* of his costume. goofy

And the press conference was perfect. I loved that Clark spoke, and the sincerity of his message. All in all, just a wonderful chapter, and a great end to Trail.

I cannot wait to begin reading Highway! dance
Oh, one more thing. I did not understand that a fancy-dress party meant a costume party, so Clark's statement made absolutely no sense to me. Now I get it. (Thanks, Kathy!)
I swear I'm not reading this only for the Shadbolt... but I love him!

Oh, the other stuff? That was great too. What everyone else said. smile
Awesome ending to a terrific story! I think it ended perfectly. I love the meeting with Shadbolt! The suit was very cleverly done. And at least we know that the kiss will eventually come when he is back and his old self. Of course we expect that he won't remember who he is at first and I am sure you will take your time getting us to that place. Thank you for writing this wonderful story. You have really outdone yourself. I don't know of any other fiction that has had such an impact on the readers. Bravo! I will look forward to the next part on pins and needles! Laura
hail

It was a *lot* bigger than Smallville. The fear swelled, pushing into her ribs and pressing against her heart.
I got one of those heart wrenching feelings from this line. I love how it's written.

"My daughter's project," he said. He thrust the jumpsuit at Clark. "Your disguise."
That was brilliant.

So...how long until the next part? laugh
Back again. laugh

I just wanted to comment on this:
I think we are all waiting anxiously for that *kiss* in lieu of him being ok and Martha (and Jonathan?) Kent to make an appearance.
I'm glad you wrote that, DW, because it means I'm not the only one still holding out hope that Jonathan is alive. There's really no reason for me to believe he's alive other than that I really want him to be. huh

Oh, and a quick question to anyone who knows: I keep thinking of a scene where Lois says something about Superman's "costume" and Clark corrects her, saying it's his "suit". Is that from the show? A fanfic? Or, did I just imagine that happening?
Amazing, wonderful story ! clap clap
Nightfall is an excellent idea, it will make Earth people more at ease with the "alien", I really don't like how this word sounds ! When I read, I feel like if it was full of hatred and lack of understanding.

I love the part with Evan and the suit made by his daughter. Really funny to read.

A great end to this story, I will never say enough how a good writer you are Corinna, your stories are always amazing, thrilling !! Eager to discover Highway !
Thank you for those wonderful stories and thank you to all the Folcs who make L&C survive through the time !

Yours, Hannah.
Vicki asked:
I keep thinking of a scene where Lois says something about Superman's "costume" and Clark corrects her, saying it's his "suit". Is that from the show? A fanfic? Or, did I just imagine that happening?
Hmm, this must have been a fanfic; I don't recognize it as being from the show. In fact, I don't remember Clark ever making a big deal over what to call it. Might be interesting for someone to go back through the early episodes and see if there are any specific references.

Kathy (who just today came across an article in the New Yorker about "near-Earth objects" -- NEOs -- and how the Earth is unprepared to stop them from crashing into us. It was beyond amusing how many times I thought of Nightfall, ASU, and this story while reading, LOL.)
This was sooooo great and everyone else already said it soooo well, that I really don't think there's much for me to add. I really, really enjoyed the final part of Trail. It made so much sense on pretty much every level. Shadbolt and Scardino are two great supporting characters and I think you're doing a great job with them.

As for our favorite duo, I just hope you're not going to throw amnesia into the mix and that Clark isn't going to be lost out there for a long time.

Thanks for a wonderful third part of the ride. Bring on the fourth!
Now that is what I call a cliffhanger. smile

As many before me have already mentioned, I loved the interactions between Clark and Evan as well as Scardino. Marriage certificate - now that is something I didn't quite expect, although the reasoning certainly makes sense.

I wonder if very soon we'll here from Martha since she'll know this is Clark going up against an asteroid. Granted, she probably wouldn't have a clue who to contact...

Can't wait for the next part. smile1 hyper

Have a great day!
This has been such an incredible story, I loved every minute of it. I keep thinking that If Clark comes back with no memory, at least he will forget the horrible things that happened in the cell and will be off for a great new start with Lois.
Of course, He might as well forget the good ones...
Like everyone else, I am looking forward to the next part.

Thank you so much Corinna
loved it!! especially the part with Shadbolt's daughter making the Suit. Clark's reaction was priceless.
Also I echo the comment made earlier "fancy-dress party" in North America means a formal event where the men are expected to wear tuxedos and women a cocktail gown. Once i substituted the words "Costume party" it made total sense.

Loved that they didn't kiss before the asteroid. Please bring him safely back soon so they can hurry up and snog already!!!
My first impulse is to beg: "Please, no amnesia! Not after they've come this far! No amnesia!" But I'll try to be a bit more dignified and not say anything about it because you are, after all, the author, and an incredibly skilled one at that. wink

I'm with everyone else in that I loved the whole donning of the Suit. I must say, I wasn't sure earlier how he could become Superman in such a short time, but on the other hand, this could be really good for him. Clark has always been happiest when he can have that dividing line between who he is and what he can do--between the human and the alien parts of himself. This might actually help him make that distinction and realize that the alien part is a blessing. (There I go, guessing again! I really try not to, honest!)

I love how strong Lois is throughout this part. This ties back to one of my favorite things about the Lois/Clark relationship--the fact that (after she knows) he always waits for her to say "Go," and the fact that she always says it.

However, even more impressive is Clark's absolutely amazing strength. I am just in awe that he is strong enough to go out in front of the world after what's been done to him and venture into the cold blackness of space to ram an asteroid bigger than a city! And yet, no matter what's been done to him, Clark always rises above it--no wonder all the other 'superheroes' were named after him!

A fabulous chapter--but not a conclusion. I can't wait until the next part! Thanks!
I have some more comments smile

The first read was a bit overwhelming (only in how good/excellent it was) and thus other points to comments on escaped my attention then.

I was also a bit thumbsup

Also, I am curious to know how you came up with the compensation to be paid to Clark for the 7 years. It sounds fairly reasonable from a money perspective, but still no compensation would ever be enough for what Clark endured during his imprisonment.

Vicky originally posted:

I just wanted to comment on this:
quote:
I think we are all waiting anxiously for that *kiss* in lieu of him being ok and Martha (and Jonathan?) Kent to make an appearance.

I'm glad you wrote that, DW, because it means I'm not the only one still holding out hope that Jonathan is alive. There's really no reason for me to believe he's alive other than that I really want him to be.
I also still somehow retain hope that Jonathan will be with Martha. I think I have accepted (to an extent) that he might have passed away, but still, I will only believe once he doesn't show up by the end of Highway. But I really do hope he does show up /holds thumbs/

smile
Jen
I REALLY can't wait for that kiss and Martha's big debut. :-)
One will come before the other. Is that helpful? wink

Pat
the stories that she pulls out of the air
LOL. I *wondered* where they came from!

RKN

Will she and Lois recognize each other by seeing their own agony reflected in the other's eyes?
Nice idea ... not where I'm going, but that definitely has possibilities.

Patrick
So the stock Superman suit without the family emblem.
Exactly. But there was no way to say that in the fic. It's hardly realistic that Lois would think ...'uhm, isn't there something missing?' laugh

Oh and if he does crash to Earth, please consider a spectacular impact such as the one from "Superman Returns".
I haven't seen 'Superman Returns' so it's unlikely my portrayal will be anything like theirs.

As for the course of events you outlined ... 'evil' is the right word for it!

MozartMaid
And please let Lois get her kiss!!
cool

Kathy

This was the perfect way to end this story.
Phew! After all the talk of the 'mother of all cliffhangers' I was starting to worry that what I had would be a bit of a disappointment.

I loved how he had his initial reaction in front of Shadbolt, though, and how he asked, "It looks stupid, doesn't it?" when Shadbolt first saw him in it. If nothing else convinced Evan that Clark was just a regular guy, that definitely should do it.
Particularly as it was Shadbolt's daughter who made it!!!

Thanks for the correction for costume/fancy-dress party. I've changed it. I often add things after my BRs have seen the part, so there is going to be an occasional slip-up. Thanks for catching it.

truly thought this is where you were going to give them their first kiss
I have some plans for that first kiss - and this wasn't the time. wink

bellarase LOL about the scroll bar. It was quite a long chapter. I thought about splitting it - then decided not to.

DW

Loved that Lois said that Clark should only kiss her once he is back and it was so cute that he asked
I thought that was typical of Clark. He's about to go out and save the world, but he wasn't sure whether he should kiss Lois or not!

As for the line you quoted ... I think it should be 'sliver' rather than 'slither', but it slipped through and when I realised the 'mistake', I liked it enough to leave it there!!

Vicki I admit - I get a lot of fun from dropping little seeds on the path of a story and coming back later to see if they've grown!!!

Most of them are deliberate. Occasionally something works out well without planning. Sometimes, I drop a seed thinking 'I might need that later', but not really knowing how it will fit in.

How things mentioned in passing on page 1 will show up again with renewed meaning on page 988.
Thanks! I really appreciate that comment!

Amy I'm glad you like Shadbolt. He started out as a crusty old grump - probably still angry with the world for how his wife had treated him. But underneath, he's a good guy.

Laura

I think it ended perfectly.
Thank you.

livewithfreedom I was still adjusting the line about the fear in the final few minutes before posting!! It definitely made me smile1

AnitK Sorry, amnesia it is.

I love how strong Lois is throughout this part.
Just a few days ago, she was really struggling with Moyne etc. But Clark needs her now, so she's pushed that aside to be there for him. (Just as he did for her!)

DW The compensation was tricky. One of my BRs said that $70 000 is way too low - but it is only a downpayment. I saw it as meant to be a practical 'statement of intent' - a promise that they will help Clark in recovering his life.

Thanks to everyone for such wonderful FDK throughout Trail. You are great readers! Seven parts of Highway are written. I should be banned from ever making length estimates, but I think it will be about 15-20 parts.

Corrina.
Yes. Well. I, too, wasn't all that surprised by the cliffhanger. And the likelihood of Clark still being around somewhere is quite high. The only question is, does he have amnesia and if he does, how will they find him eek But somehow, I'm quite relieved. If it had been the Lois/Moyne/bedroom situation from a couple of parts ago, things would have been much more strained and stacked with pointy-ended staff-like objects.

"I understand this is a huge risk," she said. "Even if you *can* shift the asteroid ..."

"*We* are risking everything," he said.
This would be ingenious. They could indeed poker that their own nukes could blow it out of the sky, but catch the alien at the same time. And if things really did go wrong with the nukes, then hey, at least the alien invaders wouldn't have a planet for free. clap

In that gesture, Clark understood something profound. They were equals. Two beings of different origin, but equal. "Call me 'Clark'," he said.
clap

Evan prefaced his reply with a smile. "She did. She's ... ah ... actually, she's working on another project now."
Oooh, this is clever. Layla is making the costume. You really set this up marvelously.

Clark took the garment and examined it in horror. The material was stretchy. It would probably fit him, but it was going to cling to his body like a second skin. His modesty would be hopelessly compromised.
Oh dear. And that's after he wouldn't even go swimming with Lois.

Not any hero that Clark had ever seen.
Yeah, but the black Kevlar and the cowl are already taken. Same goes for the miniskirt and tiara. Besides, Clark would look ridiculous in a Wonder Woman get up laugh

Lois took the eyesore from him and held it up to inspect it. "Aww," she said. "Layla made you a cape."

"I am *not* wearing a cape."
laugh Poor Lois. I'm guessing her own ability to stay calm and unaffected is coming to a rapid end. Maybe she could ask for a few more minutes without cameras in the room?

Scardino looked down at the folder. "The apology and statement regarding the deaths of the agents will arrive - signed by the President - within days." There was one remaining official-looking paper. Scardino picked it up and considered it for a long moment. "Lois?" he said.
I've got a bad feeling about this...

He diffidently offered her the paper, and Lois gasped. It was a marriage certificate, proclaiming the marriage of Clark Kent and Lois Lane. It was dated a week ago. "Why?" she breathed.
Yep.

"Firstly, I want to assure you that this can be annulled with no record of it once Clark has returned home."
Yes, but will she tell him before she consummates the marriage? And can they annul an official marriage certificate after it has been consumed on the grounds that it was only there on paper and all official records say it is real?

"We don't know," Scardino said. "We lost him."
Still evil spider

Michael
I hope this doesn't count as highjacking the thread, but if anyone is interested, I found it. I wasn't even looking for it, I just happened to pick this fic to re-read, and there it was. From Meredith Knight's "All Stirred Up":

Lois's eyes flicked to his cape. "I see you got another costume," she said.

He grimaced. "I prefer to call them 'suits'," he said.
Oh, and getting back on topic, I wondered also about the "S". My theory is that it will make its appearance on his suit shortly after they find Martha. Cute how they named him "Superman" even without his "S". laugh
Michael

Oh dear. And that's after he wouldn't even go swimming with Lois.
Things can turn around quickly, can't they? laugh

And the likelihood of Clark still being around somewhere is quite high.
I hadn't even thought about leaving him missing for a considerable time. In that sense, it wasn't even a real cliffhanger.

Vicki The House of El crest just wouldn't fit into this scenario. We'll see ... laugh

Thanks,

Corrina.
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards