Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
loved it!! especially the part with Shadbolt's daughter making the Suit. Clark's reaction was priceless.
Also I echo the comment made earlier "fancy-dress party" in North America means a formal event where the men are expected to wear tuxedos and women a cocktail gown. Once i substituted the words "Costume party" it made total sense.

Loved that they didn't kiss before the asteroid. Please bring him safely back soon so they can hurry up and snog already!!!

Features Writer
Features Writer
My first impulse is to beg: "Please, no amnesia! Not after they've come this far! No amnesia!" But I'll try to be a bit more dignified and not say anything about it because you are, after all, the author, and an incredibly skilled one at that. wink

I'm with everyone else in that I loved the whole donning of the Suit. I must say, I wasn't sure earlier how he could become Superman in such a short time, but on the other hand, this could be really good for him. Clark has always been happiest when he can have that dividing line between who he is and what he can do--between the human and the alien parts of himself. This might actually help him make that distinction and realize that the alien part is a blessing. (There I go, guessing again! I really try not to, honest!)

I love how strong Lois is throughout this part. This ties back to one of my favorite things about the Lois/Clark relationship--the fact that (after she knows) he always waits for her to say "Go," and the fact that she always says it.

However, even more impressive is Clark's absolutely amazing strength. I am just in awe that he is strong enough to go out in front of the world after what's been done to him and venture into the cold blackness of space to ram an asteroid bigger than a city! And yet, no matter what's been done to him, Clark always rises above it--no wonder all the other 'superheroes' were named after him!

A fabulous chapter--but not a conclusion. I can't wait until the next part! Thanks!

D
DW Offline
Columnist
Columnist
D
I have some more comments smile

The first read was a bit overwhelming (only in how good/excellent it was) and thus other points to comments on escaped my attention then.

I was also a bit thumbsup

Also, I am curious to know how you came up with the compensation to be paid to Clark for the 7 years. It sounds fairly reasonable from a money perspective, but still no compensation would ever be enough for what Clark endured during his imprisonment.

Vicky originally posted:

I just wanted to comment on this:
quote:
I think we are all waiting anxiously for that *kiss* in lieu of him being ok and Martha (and Jonathan?) Kent to make an appearance.

I'm glad you wrote that, DW, because it means I'm not the only one still holding out hope that Jonathan is alive. There's really no reason for me to believe he's alive other than that I really want him to be.
I also still somehow retain hope that Jonathan will be with Martha. I think I have accepted (to an extent) that he might have passed away, but still, I will only believe once he doesn't show up by the end of Highway. But I really do hope he does show up /holds thumbs/

smile

Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Jen
I REALLY can't wait for that kiss and Martha's big debut. :-)
One will come before the other. Is that helpful? wink

Pat
the stories that she pulls out of the air
LOL. I *wondered* where they came from!

RKN

Will she and Lois recognize each other by seeing their own agony reflected in the other's eyes?
Nice idea ... not where I'm going, but that definitely has possibilities.

Patrick
So the stock Superman suit without the family emblem.
Exactly. But there was no way to say that in the fic. It's hardly realistic that Lois would think ...'uhm, isn't there something missing?' laugh

Oh and if he does crash to Earth, please consider a spectacular impact such as the one from "Superman Returns".
I haven't seen 'Superman Returns' so it's unlikely my portrayal will be anything like theirs.

As for the course of events you outlined ... 'evil' is the right word for it!

MozartMaid
And please let Lois get her kiss!!
cool

Kathy

This was the perfect way to end this story.
Phew! After all the talk of the 'mother of all cliffhangers' I was starting to worry that what I had would be a bit of a disappointment.

I loved how he had his initial reaction in front of Shadbolt, though, and how he asked, "It looks stupid, doesn't it?" when Shadbolt first saw him in it. If nothing else convinced Evan that Clark was just a regular guy, that definitely should do it.
Particularly as it was Shadbolt's daughter who made it!!!

Thanks for the correction for costume/fancy-dress party. I've changed it. I often add things after my BRs have seen the part, so there is going to be an occasional slip-up. Thanks for catching it.

truly thought this is where you were going to give them their first kiss
I have some plans for that first kiss - and this wasn't the time. wink

bellarase LOL about the scroll bar. It was quite a long chapter. I thought about splitting it - then decided not to.

DW

Loved that Lois said that Clark should only kiss her once he is back and it was so cute that he asked
I thought that was typical of Clark. He's about to go out and save the world, but he wasn't sure whether he should kiss Lois or not!

As for the line you quoted ... I think it should be 'sliver' rather than 'slither', but it slipped through and when I realised the 'mistake', I liked it enough to leave it there!!

Vicki I admit - I get a lot of fun from dropping little seeds on the path of a story and coming back later to see if they've grown!!!

Most of them are deliberate. Occasionally something works out well without planning. Sometimes, I drop a seed thinking 'I might need that later', but not really knowing how it will fit in.

How things mentioned in passing on page 1 will show up again with renewed meaning on page 988.
Thanks! I really appreciate that comment!

Amy I'm glad you like Shadbolt. He started out as a crusty old grump - probably still angry with the world for how his wife had treated him. But underneath, he's a good guy.

Laura

I think it ended perfectly.
Thank you.

livewithfreedom I was still adjusting the line about the fear in the final few minutes before posting!! It definitely made me smile1

AnitK Sorry, amnesia it is.

I love how strong Lois is throughout this part.
Just a few days ago, she was really struggling with Moyne etc. But Clark needs her now, so she's pushed that aside to be there for him. (Just as he did for her!)

DW The compensation was tricky. One of my BRs said that $70 000 is way too low - but it is only a downpayment. I saw it as meant to be a practical 'statement of intent' - a promise that they will help Clark in recovering his life.

Thanks to everyone for such wonderful FDK throughout Trail. You are great readers! Seven parts of Highway are written. I should be banned from ever making length estimates, but I think it will be about 15-20 parts.

Corrina.

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Yes. Well. I, too, wasn't all that surprised by the cliffhanger. And the likelihood of Clark still being around somewhere is quite high. The only question is, does he have amnesia and if he does, how will they find him eek But somehow, I'm quite relieved. If it had been the Lois/Moyne/bedroom situation from a couple of parts ago, things would have been much more strained and stacked with pointy-ended staff-like objects.

"I understand this is a huge risk," she said. "Even if you *can* shift the asteroid ..."

"*We* are risking everything," he said.
This would be ingenious. They could indeed poker that their own nukes could blow it out of the sky, but catch the alien at the same time. And if things really did go wrong with the nukes, then hey, at least the alien invaders wouldn't have a planet for free. clap

In that gesture, Clark understood something profound. They were equals. Two beings of different origin, but equal. "Call me 'Clark'," he said.
clap

Evan prefaced his reply with a smile. "She did. She's ... ah ... actually, she's working on another project now."
Oooh, this is clever. Layla is making the costume. You really set this up marvelously.

Clark took the garment and examined it in horror. The material was stretchy. It would probably fit him, but it was going to cling to his body like a second skin. His modesty would be hopelessly compromised.
Oh dear. And that's after he wouldn't even go swimming with Lois.

Not any hero that Clark had ever seen.
Yeah, but the black Kevlar and the cowl are already taken. Same goes for the miniskirt and tiara. Besides, Clark would look ridiculous in a Wonder Woman get up laugh

Lois took the eyesore from him and held it up to inspect it. "Aww," she said. "Layla made you a cape."

"I am *not* wearing a cape."
laugh Poor Lois. I'm guessing her own ability to stay calm and unaffected is coming to a rapid end. Maybe she could ask for a few more minutes without cameras in the room?

Scardino looked down at the folder. "The apology and statement regarding the deaths of the agents will arrive - signed by the President - within days." There was one remaining official-looking paper. Scardino picked it up and considered it for a long moment. "Lois?" he said.
I've got a bad feeling about this...

He diffidently offered her the paper, and Lois gasped. It was a marriage certificate, proclaiming the marriage of Clark Kent and Lois Lane. It was dated a week ago. "Why?" she breathed.
Yep.

"Firstly, I want to assure you that this can be annulled with no record of it once Clark has returned home."
Yes, but will she tell him before she consummates the marriage? And can they annul an official marriage certificate after it has been consumed on the grounds that it was only there on paper and all official records say it is real?

"We don't know," Scardino said. "We lost him."
Still evil spider

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Top Banana
Top Banana
I hope this doesn't count as highjacking the thread, but if anyone is interested, I found it. I wasn't even looking for it, I just happened to pick this fic to re-read, and there it was. From Meredith Knight's "All Stirred Up":

Lois's eyes flicked to his cape. "I see you got another costume," she said.

He grimaced. "I prefer to call them 'suits'," he said.
Oh, and getting back on topic, I wondered also about the "S". My theory is that it will make its appearance on his suit shortly after they find Martha. Cute how they named him "Superman" even without his "S". laugh

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Michael

Oh dear. And that's after he wouldn't even go swimming with Lois.
Things can turn around quickly, can't they? laugh

And the likelihood of Clark still being around somewhere is quite high.
I hadn't even thought about leaving him missing for a considerable time. In that sense, it wasn't even a real cliffhanger.

Vicki The House of El crest just wouldn't fit into this scenario. We'll see ... laugh

Thanks,

Corrina.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard