Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Thread Like Summary
JadedEvie, Toomi8
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by Toomi8
Toomi8
Final chapter is here.

I finally get to add some notes! I haven't wanted to throughout the fic, just to let it read as is.

A huge thank you to Blueowl for being a very patient beta, correcting my thousands of comma errors, and providing some great insight to many conundrums I faced.

Another thank you to the pocket friends on the Discord chat. So many conversations about seemingly insignificant items that pop up for a sentence but required research and discussion, along with a laugh about chronic overthinking.

Finally, thank you for reading along. I hope you enjoyed this time traveling tale.

For those who are interested, my thoughts for writing this piece are in the spoiler tags....

This whole thing started while I was watching HoL for the rewatch back in February of this year. While taking notes, an idea began to form. I shoved it to the back burner but it wouldn't leave me alone. A month later I started teasing the ending, the image of a time traveling Lois watching the reunion between the younger Lois and Clark and realizing she'd set the timeline right. I wrote the last two chapters in one weekend, the first two chapters over the following week, and then struggled to get the two ends to meet.

HoL, while not my favourite episode, is up there in my top five, mostly because there are so many holes in it for fanfic to fill in, also as there are so many fantastic stories that spin from this episode. I had a crazy idea to try to deal with a few of the plot holes with this older, wiser, Lois, meddling in her own past. How did Jack escape juvie? How did Clark escape the cage? Where did Henderson go?

I tried. It's possibly tied for my favourite fic I've done so far (the other is another HoL story grin ) and I hope you enjoyed it!
Liked Replies
by gr8shadesofElvis
gr8shadesofElvis
Thanks for sharing this, I've enjoyed following it. smile
1 member likes this
by bakasi
bakasi
This was a great ending to this fic. Thank you very much for sharing it.
1 member likes this
by JadedEvie
JadedEvie
This was structurally so clever to jump back to where we stepped into the alternate 'beginning.'

It’s the complete adoration in his eyes that makes my stomach flip.
We're so few sentences in, and already completely in tune with having saved this universe instead of the other.

“Jimmy receiving a lifetime achievement award when he’s only in his early forties? He’s still got a lifetime left!”
Yay! She saved Jimmy! Love this. And I especially love the idea that he's got a lifetime left, because it aligns so brilliantly with the rest of the story. Alt-Lois gave her life for these characters to have a second chance at theirs, and then the result is that they all sort of doubled the fulfillment of their own lives.

Once upon a time I would have turned on the television, but with the convenience of smartphones and the web at my fingertips, it’s made it much easier to figure out what my husband disappears off to.
I love how you've incorporated this detail back in!

Many years ago the hotel had been purchased and redecorated before the upper floors were completely gutted and rebuilt.
This brings me a malicious kind of joy, for you to write the destruction of Lex's assets. clap

I miss what he’s saying as I watch the man smile and tip his old fashioned bowler hat at me before walking around a corner and out of my sight.
CUTE! He's just checking in. smile1

“Do we need to worry?”
I just LOVE this line, because it shows him really giving respect to her intuition, after this long of a marriage. Love it. love

An overwhelming sensation of gratitude and contentment settles over me and I can’t imagine my life being anything other than what it is right now with this amazing man by my side.
This is such an all-encompassing, satisfying ending!

I'm sad this is over, but I had such a great time with this story!
(Also, what's the other favorite HoL story that you've written??)
1 member likes this
by Toomi8
Toomi8
Originally Posted by JadedEvie
This was structurally so clever to jump back to where we stepped into the alternate 'beginning.'

grin

Many years ago the hotel had been purchased and redecorated before the upper floors were completely gutted and rebuilt.
This brings me a malicious kind of joy, for you to write the destruction of Lex's assets. clap

Muhaha.

I miss what he’s saying as I watch the man smile and tip his old fashioned bowler hat at me before walking around a corner and out of my sight.
CUTE! He's just checking in. smile1

I don't think Wells could just let things be. He'd have to stop by and check out his meddling in its fulfillment.

An overwhelming sensation of gratitude and contentment settles over me and I can’t imagine my life being anything other than what it is right now with this amazing man by my side.
This is such an all-encompassing, satisfying ending!

I'm sad this is over, but I had such a great time with this story!
(Also, what's the other favorite HoL story that you've written??)

I'm glad you liked the ending! Thank you for the wonderful comments.

The other HoL story I did was Aftershocks and this is the unedited version. As I pick away at the editing suggestions, it will be added to the archive if I can get my butt in gear.
1 member likes this