Print Thread
T
Toomi8 Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
T
Final chapter is here.

I finally get to add some notes! I haven't wanted to throughout the fic, just to let it read as is.

A huge thank you to Blueowl for being a very patient beta, correcting my thousands of comma errors, and providing some great insight to many conundrums I faced.

Another thank you to the pocket friends on the Discord chat. So many conversations about seemingly insignificant items that pop up for a sentence but required research and discussion, along with a laugh about chronic overthinking.

Finally, thank you for reading along. I hope you enjoyed this time traveling tale.

For those who are interested, my thoughts for writing this piece are in the spoiler tags....

This whole thing started while I was watching HoL for the rewatch back in February of this year. While taking notes, an idea began to form. I shoved it to the back burner but it wouldn't leave me alone. A month later I started teasing the ending, the image of a time traveling Lois watching the reunion between the younger Lois and Clark and realizing she'd set the timeline right. I wrote the last two chapters in one weekend, the first two chapters over the following week, and then struggled to get the two ends to meet.

HoL, while not my favourite episode, is up there in my top five, mostly because there are so many holes in it for fanfic to fill in, also as there are so many fantastic stories that spin from this episode. I had a crazy idea to try to deal with a few of the plot holes with this older, wiser, Lois, meddling in her own past. How did Jack escape juvie? How did Clark escape the cage? Where did Henderson go?

I tried. It's possibly tied for my favourite fic I've done so far (the other is another HoL story grin ) and I hope you enjoyed it!

Last edited by Toomi8; 12/06/23 11:24 PM.
Top Banana
Top Banana
Thanks for sharing this, I've enjoyed following it. smile

When Life Gives You Green Velvet Curtains, Make a Green Velvet Dress.
1 member likes this: Toomi8
Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
This was a great ending to this fic. Thank you very much for sharing it.

It's never too dark to be cool. cool
J
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
J
This was structurally so clever to jump back to where we stepped into the alternate 'beginning.'

It’s the complete adoration in his eyes that makes my stomach flip.
We're so few sentences in, and already completely in tune with having saved this universe instead of the other.

“Jimmy receiving a lifetime achievement award when he’s only in his early forties? He’s still got a lifetime left!”
Yay! She saved Jimmy! Love this. And I especially love the idea that he's got a lifetime left, because it aligns so brilliantly with the rest of the story. Alt-Lois gave her life for these characters to have a second chance at theirs, and then the result is that they all sort of doubled the fulfillment of their own lives.

Once upon a time I would have turned on the television, but with the convenience of smartphones and the web at my fingertips, it’s made it much easier to figure out what my husband disappears off to.
I love how you've incorporated this detail back in!

Many years ago the hotel had been purchased and redecorated before the upper floors were completely gutted and rebuilt.
This brings me a malicious kind of joy, for you to write the destruction of Lex's assets. clap

I miss what he’s saying as I watch the man smile and tip his old fashioned bowler hat at me before walking around a corner and out of my sight.
CUTE! He's just checking in. smile1

“Do we need to worry?”
I just LOVE this line, because it shows him really giving respect to her intuition, after this long of a marriage. Love it. love

An overwhelming sensation of gratitude and contentment settles over me and I can’t imagine my life being anything other than what it is right now with this amazing man by my side.
This is such an all-encompassing, satisfying ending!

I'm sad this is over, but I had such a great time with this story!
(Also, what's the other favorite HoL story that you've written??)

T
Toomi8 Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
T
Originally Posted by gr8shadesofElvis
Thanks for sharing this, I've enjoyed following it. smile

Thank you for reading and dropping a comment. Glad you enjoyed it smile

T
Toomi8 Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
T
Originally Posted by bakasi
This was a great ending to this fic. Thank you very much for sharing it.

Thanks! smile

T
Toomi8 Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
T
Originally Posted by JadedEvie
This was structurally so clever to jump back to where we stepped into the alternate 'beginning.'

grin

Many years ago the hotel had been purchased and redecorated before the upper floors were completely gutted and rebuilt.
This brings me a malicious kind of joy, for you to write the destruction of Lex's assets. clap

Muhaha.

I miss what he’s saying as I watch the man smile and tip his old fashioned bowler hat at me before walking around a corner and out of my sight.
CUTE! He's just checking in. smile1

I don't think Wells could just let things be. He'd have to stop by and check out his meddling in its fulfillment.

An overwhelming sensation of gratitude and contentment settles over me and I can’t imagine my life being anything other than what it is right now with this amazing man by my side.
This is such an all-encompassing, satisfying ending!

I'm sad this is over, but I had such a great time with this story!
(Also, what's the other favorite HoL story that you've written??)

I'm glad you liked the ending! Thank you for the wonderful comments.

The other HoL story I did was Aftershocks and this is the unedited version. As I pick away at the editing suggestions, it will be added to the archive if I can get my butt in gear.

1 member likes this: JadedEvie
C
Kerth
Kerth
C
Love how you tied HG Wells back into this after he rather unceremoniously dumped Lois back to her past and left her to figure out how she was to fix the timeline on her own and Lois being back in the same hotel she was in when she first started on this unexpected journey to her past to right the wrongs and I’m going to assume given Jimmy is being rewarded with a lifetime achievement that they too have received all the accolades over the years.

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched they must be felt with the heart

Helen Keller
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
It was a great story. I felt sad when older Lois disappeared, but the last chapter made it worthy. She's happier than she had ever been. love

Thanks for sharing!

Andreia

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

~ Superman: Man of Tomorrow #15
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Seeing older Lois as she should be was awesome! Wearing the same dress as when the story started? Nice touch.

Now I only have two questions: What happened to Patricia and Jack? What kind of promotion did Henderson accept?

Fabulous time travel story. party

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
Blogger
Blogger
Ah! This whole story was brilliant! All the ways that alt Lois stepped in to aid the timeline and fill in all the plot holes. And it makes so much sense, because the biggest trope in the whole show is that if you want to get to the bottom of something, you’re going to need Lois’ help. It would stand to reason that the only way they were going to save Lois from marrying Lex would be with Lois’ help!

This wraps everything up so nicely. I like that she gets a double sense of how lucky she is at the end, now having fully met up with the alt Lois timeline and everything being as it should be. So good! Thank you for posting!!!

“I should’ve known better than to order chinese food from a place called Ralph’s Pagoda.”

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard