OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
R
Thanks for reading smile

Comments welcome.

#96469 07/17/13 03:05 PM
Kerth
Kerth
Seems a little out of character for Clark - he needs privacy to maintain his secret identity - but maybe he's aware of Jimmy's plans and trying to stop him without a scandal.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
#96470 07/17/13 05:28 PM
C
Top Banana
Top Banana
C
Interesting but a few things about this threw me off. One was from the very first episode, Jimmy was interested in Lucy. There was little puppy adoration here in the way Jimmy was often portrayed. The second was that Clark didn't have a two bedroom, just a one bedroom with a stairwell (to where? we never find out). The third was that the Jimmy of the "Lois and Clark" series was not a red-head (in either version.)

With that said, I did find the concept funny and might have enjoyed it in a different uni/version of the characters.

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)
#96471 07/17/13 08:11 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I know that Jimmy of S3 LnC confesses to having a crush on Lois (Just Say Noah), but I think that's the only time we see it (unless you count UW). So, it's possible, he's being resentful and faking his friendship during S1 with Clark, and his crushes on Lucy and Cat. One little nitpicking thing, LnC's Jimmy always called Clark "CK". I constantly forgetting that too, and having to do Find/Replaces to change it out.

This sounds more like the relationship between Clark and Jimmy of the early comics, especially with Jimmy's red hair. Didn't they share an apartment at one time? I don't recall Perry ever telling Jimmy "why can't you be more like Clark" on the show, but I could see it happening in the comics. Also, LnC's Perry didn't mind being called "Chief" but the one in the comics did. I think this story would work better in the new section (forum) at the bottom of the page for 'Superman in Other Canon'.

If I set this story in that comics canon, I could totally see it working. There were times in the comics canon when Clark and Jimmy had falling outs, I think even to the point where Jimmy tried to kill Clark once or twice (when he'd gone bad). It makes me wonder, though, what Jimmy did to tip his hand to Clark for him to know that Jimmy was planning on doing something to him. It must have been when he left that morning and saw Jimmy in the van.

Of course, if Clark knows Jimmy's trying to off him, it seems a bit vindictive to invite him to move in with him, as if he's trying to have Jimmy kill himself with the poisoned water, so let's hope that Clark removes the poisoned filter. Very noir-esque. I've never heard of pipes in an apartment building only going to one apartment from the basement, so if Jimmy poisoned Clark, he probably poisoned everyone else in Clark's building as well. Thus, Jimmy is in serious need of mental help.

The one paragraph that didn't sound like Clark at all, was this one:
Clark was too politically correct to drink out of the tap. No, bottled water only for him - another thing he hated about Clark. Whatever the latest fad, he was on it. Not out of a core belief, but because he had to do the "in thing" always. Clark had no integrity and followed the crowd. Another zombie of the social media age that was taking over everything.
LnC's Clark being a farmboy was a strong believer of drinking out of the tap. Also, being Superman it wasn't like tap water could ever hurt him, no matter what crud was in it, so I couldn't ever see him as a bottled water guy only. The only reason I could see Jimmy thinking that Clark was a total trend-follower is that he noticed that Clark wants to blend in with everyone else, and does so by following all the current trends. Again, this doesn't sound like LnC Clark, but maybe one of the Clarks in other canons was like this.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
#96472 07/17/13 08:21 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
An interesting alt-verse. But I can see the potentials.

A slightly older Jimmy Olsen with a little more ambition (enough to have a Chemistry major) and a lot less friendliness. Now, mix in an attraction to Lois and a situation that leads him to believe that he had been establishing a foundation for a more intimate relationship. Now bring in Clark who effortlessly takes Jimmy's perceived future - both professional and personal.

I can see it. Clearly a very different universe than canon.

To be honest, when I finished the story I went back to the top expecting to see (1/x) instead of (1/1). There just feels like there should be more here.

Q1: Was Clark's timing in being friendly to Jimmy pure coincidence?
Q2: Why would Clark invite him to be a roommate?
Q3: Is it possible that in this verse, Clark isn't Superman?
Q4: What next?

Still, an interesting look into what jealousy can do.
Bob

#96473 07/18/13 09:42 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Funny and cute I liked it.

Thanks for the love
Thanks for the guidance
Thanks for the TARTAN PRIDE HA!

Can't Stop Me Now - Rod Stewart - Time 2013
#96474 07/18/13 06:16 PM
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
Actually what told me this is not really a Lois and Clark story, is Perry says "don't call me chief", he outright encourages the title in Lois and Clark.

This story feels more like it belongs in the Other Superman fan-fiction section than the Lois and Clark fan fiction section. The only maybe a little L&C aspect is Clark being overly politically correct, but even the only example of that I can think of is SM going overboard to get a milk jug in the recycling. L&C Clark was not a bottled water drinker, he was a milk/pop/orange juice/wine drinker. Especially per the Pilot, bottled water is just too healthy for him. As we learn in ASU he is into full café, sugar and all that.

John Pack Lambert
#96475 07/19/13 07:01 AM
R
Randi Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
R
Originally posted by Marcus Rowland:
Seems a little out of character for Clark - he needs privacy to maintain his secret identity - but maybe he's aware of Jimmy's plans and trying to stop him without a scandal.
Thanks for the comment. Clark needs privacy but if he can hide his secret from the folks at the DP then he can do it from a roommate.

#96476 07/19/13 07:03 AM
R
Randi Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
R
Originally posted by Christina:
Interesting but a few things about this threw me off. One was from the very first episode, Jimmy was interested in Lucy. There was little puppy adoration here in the way Jimmy was often portrayed. The second was that Clark didn't have a two bedroom, just a one bedroom with a stairwell (to where? we never find out). The third was that the Jimmy of the "Lois and Clark" series was not a red-head (in either version.)

With that said, I did find the concept funny and might have enjoyed it in a different uni/version of the characters.
Think of it as a combo L&C with AU elements. I find it more creatively effective to stretch the strict L&C elements a bit.

#96477 07/19/13 07:08 AM
R
Randi Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
R
Originally posted by bobbart:
An interesting alt-verse. But I can see the potentials.

A slightly older Jimmy Olsen with a little more ambition (enough to have a Chemistry major) and a lot less friendliness. Now, mix in an attraction to Lois and a situation that leads him to believe that he had been establishing a foundation for a more intimate relationship. Now bring in Clark who effortlessly takes Jimmy's perceived future - both professional and personal.

I can see it. Clearly a very different universe than canon.

To be honest, when I finished the story I went back to the top expecting to see (1/x) instead of (1/1). There just feels like there should be more here.

Q1: Was Clark's timing in being friendly to Jimmy pure coincidence?
Q2: Why would Clark invite him to be a roommate?
Q3: Is it possible that in this verse, Clark isn't Superman?
Q4: What next?

Still, an interesting look into what jealousy can do.
Bob
I purposely left the ending open-ended. Hoping someone here might write "the rest of the story". I might do that too. We'll see.

To answer your questions - Clark being friendly with Jimmy was sincere on his part. He suddenly realized Jimmy was being put down by Perry and being compared to Clark. Clark does not like that.

Clark can't afford to rent a two-bedroom. He needs a roommate and likes Jimmy though Jimmy has not felt the same about Clark.

Clark is Superman but he is debuting as such in a low key way.

What next? Lots of possibilities. Some good and some bad.

#96478 07/19/13 07:11 AM
R
Randi Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
R
Originally posted by RodStewFan:
Funny and cute I liked it.
Thanks. It works as a nice stand-alone though it could be added to as a more complete fic.

#96479 07/20/13 04:40 AM
R
Randi Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
R
One general comment - the description of Clark in the fic is through the eyes of an envious co-worker- - it is not necessarily objective. Perry's perspective would be totally different.

For instance, I can envision a scene where Clark takes Jimmy, a very nervous Jimmy, to his apartment before they go to the game. Once there Clark fills a glass with water from the tap.

Jimmy freaks and knocks the glass of water out of Clark's hand before he can take a drink - shouting something like "don't you know tap water is bad for you, I only drink bottled water Clark and you should too".

#96480 08/04/13 12:08 AM
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Randi!
Always on time, while the young man himself would drag in a few minutes late for meetings. He was tired of being told 'why can't you be more like Clark'.
/scratches head/ Jimmy?

In the past 6 months he had grown to hate Clark Kent. Clark - perfect in every way to his own always evident flaws.
To be fair, Clark constantly lies about every aspect of his being.

He was about to kill Clark. Or set in motion a plan that would do it in short order.
Photoshop a photo of Clark with Linda and give it to Lois?

With that he would replace the filter with one he had specially made.
What happens when Clark offers Lois a drink?

Clark was too politically correct to drink out of the tap.
confused

Quickly leaving the apartment, he reached the van. A passerby looked at him and asked "Aren't you the Daily Planet photographer?
wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard