J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
Originally posted by Pris:
Originally posted by VirginiaR:
[b]
Originally posted by mrsMxyzptlk:
[b] </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Pris:
<strong>I think if people like this, I may actually make it into a series and do treatments of some of the other S1 episodes. Not all of them, but definitely Strange Visitor, Heat Wave, The Green Green Glow of Home, Nightfall, and the season finale.
And Pheromone, My Lovely? And Honeymoon in Metropolis? laugh

I'm enjoying your story. I'm glad you're thinking of continuing it. [/b]
I'm going to have to agree with mrsMxyzptlk, although the episode I was curious about was "I've got a Crush on You". evil Would Louis become a lounge singer and Clara a female bartender? [/b]
Ooooh, another one I haven't thought about. Really, that one could go one of two ways, and I'm not sure which one is better:

Either Lou is a lounge singer, and he sounds like Frank Sinatra and Clara wants to throw him some panties from her position at the bar

OR

Lou becomes a bartender, and THEN Clara auditions and becomes a back up dancer. But she can't sing, so when a new main act is needed, she uses her powers to make it seem like she's doing magic tricks - lifting impossible loads, disappearing from stage and reappearing at the back of the club, etc.

The Lou angle could be fun, because Frank Sinatra!Lou. But then with Clara as the performer, there's the opportunity for Lex Luthor to creep all over her, and that's it's own special gigglefest so...

/having way too much fun over here </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Of course there is no reason why Lou can't be the singer, and then Clara comes on as a dancer, and then has a following act where she pretends to do majic. Lou could actually get sick or something.

John Pack Lambert
Kerth
Kerth
You know, Clara might look all shy and innocent, but she could just as well have learned actual pole dancing (as a sport!) - which would fit in quite nicely with the bar.

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
Pris Offline OP
Freelance Reporter
OP Offline
Freelance Reporter
Originally posted by John Lambert:
This is a very good story so far.

I am hoping that Louis asks Clara to go with him to the ball, even if it seems unlikely. Hmm, I am also looking forward to some other interchanges.

I like how you fit the new characters into the same mold. I especially like how you kept so close to the original dialogue and situation but it stayed believable.

The outfits of Louis and Clara are perfect.

Even Jonathan's dialogue has a new meaning and feel without really changing.

Keep up the good work.
Thank you! I'm so glad you're enjoying it and feel they're in character :3

~Pris
==================================
One time, I met Dean Cain. He picked me up and joked it wasn't too late for me to marry Superman. It was awesome.
Pris Offline OP
Freelance Reporter
OP Offline
Freelance Reporter
Okay, I admit it. The scene I am really waiting for is what happens when Louis shows up at Clara's run-dwon hotel apartment. Will she answer the door in only a towel? Hmm, also I am wondering what sort of food she has.
Ahaha, I -just- finished writing that scene! XD Although, Lou doesn't comment on Clara's eating habits. I think growing up male, he'd have been socialized to never ever talk about a woman's diet, especially as he views women as being sort of fragile, and himself as being highly likely to send a woman over the edge.

Whatever the form, Lois Lane always has issues courtesy of her parents. >_>

~Pris
One time, I met Dean Cain. He picked me up and joked it wasn't too late for me to marry Superman. It was awesome.
Pris Offline OP
Freelance Reporter
OP Offline
Freelance Reporter
Originally posted by Lara Joelle Kent:
You know, Clara might look all shy and innocent, but she could just as well have learned actual pole dancing (as a sport!) - which would fit in quite nicely with the bar.
Oooh, there's an idea! Although, with the upscale atmosphere of the Metro Club, it would have to be more of a Burlesque show.

Actually, I can totally see this:

Lou: Where did you learn to dance like that?

Clara: My mom and I took a class together. It's a fun way to stay in shape.

Because Martha would TOTALLY take a Burlesque dancing class, amirite? XD

~Pris
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Oooh, there's an idea! Although, with the upscale atmosphere of the Metro Club, it would have to be more of a Burlesque show.

Yes, but I can't seem them offering one in Smallville.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Pris Offline OP
Freelance Reporter
OP Offline
Freelance Reporter
[b] Oooh, there's an idea! Although, with the upscale atmosphere of the Metro Club, it would have to be more of a Burlesque show.

Yes, but I can't seem them offering one in Smallville. [/b]
Maybe they drive to Wichita for the class?

And I don't know, I live in a very rural community, and we have things like that, so I don't think it's entirely out of the realm of possibility.

Although, I suppose it could also be fun for Clara to have learned it during a stint in New Orleans or something.

~Pris
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
[b] Okay, I admit it. The scene I am really waiting for is what happens when Louis shows up at Clara's run-dwon hotel apartment. Will she answer the door in only a towel? Hmm, also I am wondering what sort of food she has.
Ahaha, I -just- finished writing that scene! XD Although, Lou doesn't comment on Clara's eating habits. I think growing up male, he'd have been socialized to never ever talk about a woman's diet, especially as he views women as being sort of fragile, and himself as being highly likely to send a woman over the edge.

Whatever the form, Lois Lane always has issues courtesy of her parents. >_> [/b]
You do have a good point. At some level I had forgotten that Lois had not only noticed what Clark ate but commented on it. I guess Louis is not really that rude to comment on it, even if he was quite rude in refusing to shake hands with Clara.

John Pack Lambert
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
[b] You know, Clara might look all shy and innocent, but she could just as well have learned actual pole dancing (as a sport!) - which would fit in quite nicely with the bar.

Because Martha would TOTALLY take a Burlesque dancing class, amirite? XD [/b]
Of course, speaking of questionable dancing leads us to the conclusion that it has to be Louis doing such in PML.

Although if Clara has done such at the Metro Club it could lead to Clara trying to releave Louis' embarassment.

Louis:I am so embrarrassed I showed up in those clothes, dancing that way.

Clara:At least you didn't have to do it in front of a crowd like I did at the Metro Club.

Louis:But I wasn't doing it to get a story like you were.

Clara:I enjoyed it though.

John Pack Lambert
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Finally, a nice and meaty gender-bender fic to enjoy! laugh (I remember only one vignette from the distant past that had a Louis and Claire, but it was such a short little morsel, and didn't really cover events from the show.) This is awesome!

I like your examinations on how the characters are different and yet, in some ways, the same: Louis is still relationship-shy, but this time, because he's afraid of hurting others as opposed to being hurt. Wow. The whole bit with his fear of being like his dad just made sense! It's my second favorite part. My *favorite* part is Clara deciding that Louis would be "Suddenly shirtless and riding a horse." clap

~•~
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Wow, this is great! The gender-swap is interesting and well-done, of course, but I also like some of the independent character insights, like Louis's silently admiring "Jimmy's" prose, and Cat's lecturing at the university. Lots of great detail!

Pris Offline OP
Freelance Reporter
OP Offline
Freelance Reporter
[b]
[b] You know, Clara might look all shy and innocent, but she could just as well have learned actual pole dancing (as a sport!) - which would fit in quite nicely with the bar.

Of course, speaking of questionable dancing leads us to the conclusion that it has to be Louis doing such in PML.

Although if Clara has done such at the Metro Club it could lead to Clara trying to releave Louis' embarassment.

Clara:At least you didn't have to do it in front of a crowd like I did at the Metro Club.

Clara:I enjoyed it though. [/b]
OH THAT IS PERFECT! I will totally be using that for PML - with credit of course! XD

~Pris
Pris Offline OP
Freelance Reporter
OP Offline
Freelance Reporter
Originally posted by Queen of the Capes:
Finally, a nice and meaty gender-bender fic to enjoy! laugh (I remember only one vignette from the distant past that had a Louis and Claire, but it was such a short little morsel, and didn't really cover events from the show.) This is awesome!

I like your examinations on how the characters are different and yet, in some ways, the same: Louis is still relationship-shy, but this time, because he's afraid of hurting others as opposed to being hurt. Wow. The whole bit with his fear of being like his dad just made sense! It's my second favorite part. My *favorite* part is Clara deciding that Louis would be "Suddenly shirtless and riding a horse." clap
Thanks so much for the lovely comments! :33

That's the fun of doing a genderswap fic - finding the similarities and differences in the characters when such a fundamental portion of who they are is changed. I'm glad you feel like I'm doing a good job! laugh

I think I have no choice at this point than to keep going! XD Everyone is being so enthusiastic and helping brainstorm and getting me excited. I even started to draw a comic book cover for the series >_>

~Pris
Pris Offline OP
Freelance Reporter
OP Offline
Freelance Reporter
Originally posted by AmyPrime:
Wow, this is great! The gender-swap is interesting and well-done, of course, but I also like some of the independent character insights, like Louis's silently admiring "Jimmy's" prose, and Cat's lecturing at the university. Lots of great detail!
Thanks! I'm really loving the opportunity to delve into Cat. There aren't very many fics that focus on her much (that I've found so far anyway), and I guess I just have a lot of Cat Feelings.

Thanks for commenting. :333

~Pris
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
[b]
[b] </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Lara Joelle Kent:
<strong> You know, Clara might look all shy and innocent, but she could just as well have learned actual pole dancing (as a sport!) - which would fit in quite nicely with the bar.

Clara:I enjoyed it though. [/b]
OH THAT IS PERFECT! I will totally be using that for PML - with credit of course! XD </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Go for it. I am rooting for this story.

John Pack Lambert
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Because of this -- Gender Bender Challenge -- I'm quite interested in this story.

Shayne did a very well written story -- Gender Bender

Those eyes said that Clara was a naïve country princess who would be broken by the city
Don't bet on those country princesses (or princes) can be broken by the city. Country folks can adapt to the city far easier than city folk can to the country. I think Louis might just learn this.

Louis noted that, unlike most of the city women he met, Clara’s nails were plain and uneven.
Considering that Superman always had well groomed nails, I'm not buying this. I think she'd keep her nails nice and neat.

He’d had his share of simpering admirers in the years since he’d begun making a name for himself as a hotshot reporter. He didn’t need a woman dragging him down.
I can so see a male Lois thinking like this.

He’d had his share of simpering admirers in the years since he’d begun making a name for himself as a hotshot reporter. He didn’t need a woman dragging him down.
Awww.. That's sweet how he took care of Lucy.

<Saved by the bell,> Louis thought.
Direct thought should actually be put in single quotes.

Clara was going to do that assignment, and she was going to march back into the Daily Planet and get a job,
You go, girl!!

Everything about Louis Lane was polished sharp edges, from writing style to wingtip shoes.
Good description.

It gives a hint that Louis is actually a big softy underneath it all. I can't wait for him to accidentally reveal this side of himself to Clara.
I’m looking forward to that, too.

With great power comes great responsibility.
I’ve also used this in a Superman story.

Great start!

Umm... I've noticed that there are multiple posts by the same people. You can use the quote listed below the box you type in and that keeps you from having to do that. I keep two tabs open and go between the two when I'm quoting.

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
Pris Offline OP
Freelance Reporter
OP Offline
Freelance Reporter
Originally posted by Classicalla:
Because of this -- Gender Bender Challenge -- I'm quite interested in this story.

Shayne did a very well written story -- Gender Bender

Those eyes said that Clara was a naïve country princess who would be broken by the city
Don't bet on those country princesses (or princes) can be broken by the city. Country folks can adapt to the city far easier than city folk can to the country. I think Louis might just learn this.

Louis noted that, unlike most of the city women he met, Clara’s nails were plain and uneven.
Considering that Superman always had well groomed nails, I'm not buying this. I think she'd keep her nails nice and neat.

I can so see a male Lois thinking like this.

Awww.. That's sweet how he took care of Lucy.

<Saved by the bell,> Louis thought.
Direct thought should actually be put in single quotes.

Clara was going to do that assignment, and she was going to march back into the Daily Planet and get a job,
You go, girl!!

Everything about Louis Lane was polished sharp edges, from writing style to wingtip shoes.
Good description.

It gives a hint that Louis is actually a big softy underneath it all. I can't wait for him to accidentally reveal this side of himself to Clara.
I’m looking forward to that, too.

With great power comes great responsibility.
I’ve also used this in a Superman story.

Great start!

Umm... I've noticed that there are multiple posts by the same people. You can use the quote listed below the box you type in and that keeps you from having to do that. I keep two tabs open and go between the two when I'm quoting.
Thanks for the comments! Glad you are enjoying the story! laugh

Re: Clara's nails: I think there that Louis is just noticing that her nails aren't long and perfectly shaped. I think Clara would be careful to keep them short, so that she doesn't accidentally puncture things or scratch people. Is it better if I change it to 'her nails were plain and short.' ?

Re: Direct thoughts: There is a trend in modern literature toward putting all thoughts in quotes, and I'm just using the < > tags here where I would normally use italics. But thanks for the catch! :3

Thanks for the tip about the quotes, and also for the links to the Gender Bender stuff! I'll go check it out now. laugh

~Pris
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
[QB]Re: Direct thoughts: There is a trend in modern literature toward putting all thoughts in quotes, and I'm just using the < > tags here where I would normally use italics. But thanks for the catch! :3
If you want to put your thoughts in italics you can (I do), but it's a little more prep work.

Just put a "[i.]" at the beginning of what you want italicized (without quote marks or period - but I had to include the period or the marking code would disappear and all you would see is the italics laugh ), and a "[/i]" at the end of what you want italicized. Then make sure you double check by reviewing your document with the "preview post" button below (next to "Add Reply" button) to make sure you haven't made any mistakes. Usually, I use italics if I don't use the dialogue tag "he thought" and single quote marks if I do. Just to be extra confusing. wink

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Re: Clara's nails: I think there that Louis is just noticing that her nails aren't long and perfectly shaped. I think Clara would be careful to keep them short, so that she doesn't accidentally puncture things or scratch people. Is it better if I change it to 'her nails were plain and short.' ?
Yes, I think it would work much better. As is, it almost felt like her nails were ragged and maybe even a little dirty. And she could still wear polish with short nails, but that could post a problem when she becomes Superwoman because people notice your nails if they are painted.

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
Pris Offline OP
Freelance Reporter
OP Offline
Freelance Reporter
[QB]Re: Direct thoughts: There is a trend in modern literature toward putting all thoughts in quotes, and I'm just using the < > tags here where I would normally use italics. But thanks for the catch! :3
If you want to put your thoughts in italics you can (I do), but it's a little more prep work.

Just put a "[i.]" at the beginning of what you want italicized (without quote marks or period - but I had to include the period or the marking code would disappear and all you would see is the italics laugh ), and a "[/i]" at the end of what you want italicized. Then make sure you double check by reviewing your document with the "preview post" button below (next to "Add Reply" button) to make sure you haven't made any mistakes. Usually, I use italics if I don't use the dialogue tag "he thought" and single quote marks if I do. Just to be extra confusing. wink
Thanks for the tip! I'm used to html, so trying to get me to change at this late date just resulted in something like wallbash

I figured, in the interest of laziness, I'd just use tags so that I wouldn't have to reformat when I send it over to the archive. /unless I am completely mistaken and archive files can have italics and bold text. If that's the case I'll go back and format it.

Originally posted by Classicalla:
Yes, I think it would work much better. As is, it almost felt like her nails were ragged and maybe even a little dirty. And she could still wear polish with short nails, but that could post a problem when she becomes Superwoman because people notice your nails if they are painted.
I'll go back and fix it later this evening as soon as I have time! laugh

~Pris
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard