Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#94542 04/17/13 10:17 AM
Pris Offline OP
Freelance Reporter
OP Offline
Freelance Reporter
LINKS: Table of Contents

Thank you for taking the time to read my fic! I appreciate you taking the time to comment.

Constructive criticism welcome. If you are offering criticism, I would appreciate if you would also offer an example of how I can fix whatever it is you're criticizing. :3

~Pris
==================================
One time, I met Dean Cain. He picked me up and joked it wasn't too late for me to marry Superman. It was awesome.
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Pris! Haven't yet gotten to reading (really strapped for reading time at the moment frown ), but a request: please use shorter (20 characters tops or so) section breakers (the === in your fic), otherwise the browser adds horizontal scrollbars.

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Pris Offline OP
Freelance Reporter
OP Offline
Freelance Reporter
Thanks for letting me know, Michael! I've fixed it. :3

~Pris
One time, I met Dean Cain. He picked me up and joked it wasn't too late for me to marry Superman. It was awesome.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Ooooh, interesting premise. I'm almost disappointed that this is only going to be 4 parts long. smile1 So far, so good. I like that you've only changed Lois and Clark to Louis and Clara, but kept all the other characters the same. I agree that will make this a much easier story to write.

I love that Clara idolizes Cat clap and that Cat is so willing to take Clara under her wing.

I wonder how long Clara is going to be enamored of Louis because, frankly, he's being a big jerk (which is exactly what most of us would expect of a male Lois character) I love the altered backstory on the Mad Dog Lane breaking the guy's face who bothered his sister. It gives a hint that Louis is actually a big softy underneath it all. I can't wait for him to accidentally reveal this side of himself to Clara. I'm glad that Louis didn't follow in Sam Lane's footsteps as a womanizing man leaving drunken women in his wake. Why can I see Lucy and Clara becoming friends much to Louis's consternation? clap

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Kerth
Kerth
Love it!

Louis Lane knew that Clara Kent was going to be trouble the instant he laid eyes on her. She was hunched in one of the chairs in Perry’s office, black hair in a tight French braid that screamed country bumpkin, wearing an unflattering suit that Louis strongly suspected had at one point belonged to her mother. The whole unbelievable outfit was topped off by a really too sweet oval locket with a flower engraved on the front, probably a hand me down from Meemaw. But all that wasn’t why Clara Kent was trouble. Oh no.

The trouble came in with those great big brown doe eyes, peering at Louis from behind unfavorably thick glasses. (If Clara’s suit used to be her mother’s, those glasses had probably once been her father’s, Louis would bet on it.) Those eyes said that Clara was a naïve country princess who would be broken by the city in a mere matter of weeks, and worse, there was an expression there when Clara looked at Louis that could only be described as worshipful.
Someone is in for a surprise once she's wearing different clothes. laugh

And besides, he had Lucy to consider. Lucy was too fragile for the real world, and Louis had spent his entire life being her guard dog. Mad Dog Lane. Everyone thought that nickname had something to do with Louis’ tenacity when it came to journalism, but the truth was the nickname dated all the way back to high school. Some jerk had broken Lucy’s heart.

Louis had responded by breaking the guy’s face.
Whoa, what's that? Definitely something unexpected.

“Be patient with your father, Clara,” Mom’s voice sounded tinny through the phone. “You know he still thinks of you as his little girl.”

“His little girl who’s strong enough to stop a city bus,” Clara muttered.
goofy Guess what happened the moment she arrived in Metropolis?

They all turned and looked at Louis. “If you like that sort of thing,” he said, feeling that they expected him to speak. To be truthful, he was a little surprised that Jimmy had prose like that in him.

Perry stuck out his hand. “Clara Kent, welcome to the Daily Planet!”

The farm girl shook Perry’s hand, her smile cranked up to superhuman levels.

Wait.

What?

“You wrote that?” Louis burst, looking at the, the… schoolmarm standing in front of him.
Guess who's got another think or two coming?

“Honey,” a deep alto voice made Clara turn. “I have *got* to take you shopping.”
Which will lead Clara straight to an invitation to the White Orchid Ball. I wonder who, exactly, is going to get the Luthor interview... Somehow, I can't see Luthor wine and dine Louis.

Every time something like this happened – an earthquake, a storm, an explosion – she always wondered… Could she have done something to stop it? With the powers she possessed, could she have saved lives? Didn’t she have a duty to help where she could?

<Dissect you like a frog.>
Ah, the usual.

<With great power comes great responsibility.>
Or not so usual. Wrong comic. (At least the two most prominent colors are the same, though.)

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
Pris Offline OP
Freelance Reporter
OP Offline
Freelance Reporter
Thanks! laugh laugh

I think if people like this, I may actually make it into a series and do treatments of some of the other S1 episodes. Not all of them, but definitely Strange Visitor, Heat Wave, The Green Green Glow of Home, Nightfall, and the season finale.

So glad you like Cat! I've always felt like the show missed out on so much that could have been done with the character, but they kept her stuck in her stereotype so they could make jokes about her sleeping around - but at the same time they hinted at her complexity, by having her have all those books in her apartment, some of her exchanges with Lois, her reaction in Nightfall (up until the very end when she reverts to the stereotype). So I just wanted to explore that side of her a little more, and I figured with Louis Lane being a man, Cat would be one of the more prominent American women reporters, so Clara Kent would definitely know who she was and look up to her. :3

Glad you like the reason for the 'Mad Dog' nickname, and yeah, Lou is -such- a jerk XD He's going to get worse before he gets better, I'm afraid, but by Part 3 I think he should be decidedly less jerky. It's just in Part 2, things happen that make him cranky XD You're very right in that he isn't going to have an easy time getting an interview with Lex, because he's a man, and I've left Lex very much straight... But you'll see the plot twist there when it's posted!

Thanks so much! And thanks for such a thoughtful review! I sort of gasped in relief when I saw it, because it's always nerve wracking writing for a new fandom for the first time! party

~Pris
Pris Offline OP
Freelance Reporter
OP Offline
Freelance Reporter
To Lara:

(Sorry if there is a way to make the comments divide into threads, I have not figured that out yet >_>)

Thanks so much for the thoughtful feedback! I'm so glad you enjoyed it. And yes, everyone is picking up on the fact that Lou is going to have a lot more trouble getting the Luthor interview in this version of events. XD

Or not so usual. Wrong comic. (At least the two most prominent colors are the same, though.)
Ah yes! I know, that's a Spiderman thing, but I've always thought it really applied to Superman too, especially the L&C version of Superman. After all, the only reason he helps, when you get down to it, is that he's capable of helping, and it seems irresponsible -not- to, when he's so powerful.

Thanks again for great feedback!

~Pris
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
...and then, since she might as well go all out in this fantasy, he was going to be suddenly shirtless and riding a horse and declare that he’d been waiting all his life for her.
I see we're reading the same kind of books. laugh

Kerth
Kerth
Originally posted by Pris:
To Lara:
Ah yes! I know, that's a Spiderman thing, but I've always thought it really applied to Superman too, especially the L&C version of Superman. After all, the only reason he helps, when you get down to it, is that he's capable of helping, and it seems irresponsible -not- to, when he's so powerful.
Truth to be told, I think I've used that exact line for a Superman story, myself. Because it really does fit. Or did I slip it into a beta I did? Anyway, I definitely agree with you that this line fits Superman (or Superwoman, as the case may be) just as well.

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
rkn Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Originally posted by IolantheAlias:
...and then, since she might as well go all out in this fantasy, he was going to be suddenly shirtless and riding a horse and declare that he’d been waiting all his life for her.
Well, I'll let him skip the horse if he wants. . .

GREAT job!I love re-writes where so many things are different but our beloved characters are really still there. hyper

thanks!

rkn
Pris Offline OP
Freelance Reporter
OP Offline
Freelance Reporter
Originally posted by IolantheAlias:
Lol, Clara has excellent taste ^_~ And I see her as being a bit of a character, because well. Martha's daughter.

~Pris
Pris Offline OP
Freelance Reporter
OP Offline
Freelance Reporter
Originally posted by rkn:
GREAT job!I love re-writes where so many things are different but our beloved characters are really still there. hyper
Thanks! I'm glad you're enjoying it! laugh

~Pris
M
Columnist
Columnist
M
I think if people like this, I may actually make it into a series and do treatments of some of the other S1 episodes. Not all of them, but definitely Strange Visitor, Heat Wave, The Green Green Glow of Home, Nightfall, and the season finale.
And Pheromone, My Lovely? And Honeymoon in Metropolis? laugh

I'm enjoying your story. I'm glad you're thinking of continuing it.

"It is a remarkable dichotomy. In many ways, Clark is the most human of us all. Then...he shoots fire from the skies, and it is difficult not to think of him as a god. And how fortunate we all are that it does not occur to him." -Batman (in Superman/Batman #3 by Jeph Loeb)
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by mrsMxyzptlk:
[b]I think if people like this, I may actually make it into a series and do treatments of some of the other S1 episodes. Not all of them, but definitely Strange Visitor, Heat Wave, The Green Green Glow of Home, Nightfall, and the season finale.

I'm enjoying your story. I'm glad you're thinking of continuing it. [/b]
I'm going to have to agree with mrsMxyzptlk, although the episode I was curious about was "I've got a Crush on You". evil Would Louis become a lounge singer and Clara a female bartender?

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Pris Offline OP
Freelance Reporter
OP Offline
Freelance Reporter
[b]I think if people like this, I may actually make it into a series and do treatments of some of the other S1 episodes. Not all of them, but definitely Strange Visitor, Heat Wave, The Green Green Glow of Home, Nightfall, and the season finale.

Thank you! laugh

Hmmm, wow yes, I'll have to do Pheromone, My Lovely, because just. YES OK. YES. /says no more so as not to ruin it before I even write it.
rotflol

I don't know about Honeymoon in Metropolis though. I think in that circumstance their relationship would be very similar to canon, and the only really big difference would be that Lou was the one sleeping on the sofa. But I might do just a couple of scenes from it rather than the whole episode, and/or allude to it happening off screen in the other stories.

~Pris
Pris Offline OP
Freelance Reporter
OP Offline
Freelance Reporter
Originally posted by VirginiaR:
[b]

I'm going to have to agree with mrsMxyzptlk, although the episode I was curious about was "I've got a Crush on You". evil Would Louis become a lounge singer and Clara a female bartender? [/b]
Ooooh, another one I haven't thought about. Really, that one could go one of two ways, and I'm not sure which one is better:

Either Lou is a lounge singer, and he sounds like Frank Sinatra and Clara wants to throw him some panties from her position at the bar

OR

Lou becomes a bartender, and THEN Clara auditions and becomes a back up dancer. But she can't sing, so when a new main act is needed, she uses her powers to make it seem like she's doing magic tricks - lifting impossible loads, disappearing from stage and reappearing at the back of the club, etc.

The Lou angle could be fun, because Frank Sinatra!Lou. But then with Clara as the performer, there's the opportunity for Lex Luthor to creep all over her, and that's it's own special gigglefest so...

/having way too much fun over here

~Pris
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
This is a very good story so far.

I am hoping that Louis asks Clara to go with him to the ball, even if it seems unlikely. Hmm, I am also looking forward to some other interchanges.

I like how you fit the new characters into the same mold. I especially like how you kept so close to the original dialogue and situation but it stayed believable.

The outfits of Louis and Clara are perfect.

Even Jonathan's dialogue has a new meaning and feel without really changing.

Keep up the good work.

John Pack Lambert
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
Thanks! laugh laugh

So glad you like Cat! I've always felt like the show missed out on so much that could have been done with the character, but they kept her stuck in her stereotype so they could make jokes about her sleeping around - but at the same time they hinted at her complexity, by having her have all those books in her apartment, some of her exchanges with Lois, her reaction in Nightfall (up until the very end when she reverts to the stereotype). So I just wanted to explore that side of her a little more, and I figured with Louis Lane being a man, Cat would be one of the more prominent American women reporters, so Clara Kent would definitely know who she was and look up to her. :3

Glad you like the reason for the 'Mad Dog' nickname, and yeah, Lou is -such- a jerk XD He's going to get worse before he gets better, I'm afraid, but by Part 3 I think he should be decidedly less jerky. It's just in Part 2, things happen that make him cranky XD You're very right in that he isn't going to have an easy time getting an interview with Lex, because he's a man, and I've left Lex very much straight... But you'll see the plot twist there when it's posted!

Thanks so much! And thanks for such a thoughtful review! I sort of gasped in relief when I saw it, because it's always nerve wracking writing for a new fandom for the first time! party
You just have to do Pheremone My Lovely if you are going to do most of season one. It would also be really fun to see Honeymoon in Metropolis, however that is less negotiable.

John Pack Lambert
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
Originally posted by VirginiaR:
[b]

I'm going to have to agree with mrsMxyzptlk, although the episode I was curious about was "I've got a Crush on You". evil Would Louis become a lounge singer and Clara a female bartender? [/b]
I really don't see Louis being a singer of any type. Although if Clara goes in first that would change everything. It would be fun. Hmm, although since Johnny is incharge it would make sense for Clara to go in first.

That leads to the issue of how Clara hids getting rid of the fire from Louis. Also, Louis probably could not get rid of Clara, and Clara would not need a bullet hole to look through to report on Toni taking over.

John Pack Lambert
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
Okay, I admit it. The scene I am really waiting for is what happens when Louis shows up at Clara's run-dwon hotel apartment. Will she answer the door in only a towel? Hmm, also I am wondering what sort of food she has.

John Pack Lambert
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard