Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Tank Offline OP
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
T
Normally I don't initiate the comments topic of my own fics, but I felt I needed to explain a few things.

First off, I probably should have put a crossover alert up but I find it hard to believe that anyone who was a fan of Lois and Clark would be unaware of the show Castle.

To those gentle readers who are fans of the show like I am, I hope you enjoy this little indulgence. For those of you who aren't too familiar with the show, I hope that I've included enough Castle and Beckett backstory to allow you to follow the story as it lies.

For those of you who don't follow the series consider this a sort of 'introduction' to a series that is taylor made for those of us who were enchanted by the love story that was Lois and Clark.

I would heartly recommend getting the dvds for the first four seasons of the show Castle. The writing is incredible and the leads are perfect, and the supporting cast is brilliant. I can't say enough about how entertaining this series is.

It's the show that Lois and Clark fans have waited for many years.

I hope you enjoy my minor effort to merge the two worlds.

Tank (who had intended this to be a one part short but it just got away from him... a bit)

A
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
A
Very well done. As a fan of both shows, you captured the characters perfectly. I loved Castle's reaction to flying with Superman. Thanks for a great story

F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Delightful tale.
For those of you who don't follow the series consider this a sort of 'introduction' to a series that is tailor made for those of us who were enchanted by the love story that was Lois and Clark.
I agree, if you liked L&C you will enjoy castle. I too am a fan of both shows.

And it is so like Rick to emote over flying with Superman.

Again delightful.

Framework4
Top Banana
Top Banana
In the words of Rick Castle himself... That was awesome.

I love Castle and Beckett and you really made it work with this. Thank you.

KatherineKent/Victoria
Lois: "You put up with me for the same reason I put up with you. It's because I'm completely in love with you."
Clark: "And I love you ... Did we just make up?"
Lois: "I think so."
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yes, totally awesome, Tank. We love Castle and have read all the Nicki Heat books. You can keep on writing in this crossover all you want and we will most certainly enjoy it!!!! smile1 smile1 wink
And you didn't cut Beckett's hair! But Lois now wears her's short.
Last night we saw the rerun of the sci-fi episode of "Nebula 9". I enjoyed that all over again.
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Where does one begin?

Tank I have read a number of your stories, but this one breaks new ground.

"Seriously? There are cases she was involved in that are now used at the academy to teach undercover and infiltration techniques." A smile found its way onto Beckett's face. "I've always wanted to meet her. She's kind of a hero of mine."
This tells me that Lois Lane is now an icon for young women breaking the glass ceiling. It is a realistic look at where her life is headed, so it's not a surprise to hear Kate Beckett looks up to her.

Beckett laughed. "Seriously, what independent woman trying to make her way in a male dominated profession hasn't heard of the crusading reporter Lois Lane? You are something of an idol to all of us."
See? A point of fact, Lois Lane has been an icon for a lot of little girl's in the 70's, such as myself.

Kate swallowed as she hesitated answering Lois’ question. In the short time they’d been talking she was really starting to like the beautiful reporter. Even in her early forties Lois Lane was stunning. Her short dark hair framed a face that still hadn’t yet seen the onset of wrinkles that came with aging. She could easily pass for a contemporary of Kate’s.
So nice to know she has aged gracefully.

But where are Lois and Clark's children? According to this story, they don't have any or they were not mentioned?

Kate turned a watched as a gorgeous hunk of manhood approached their table. Except for a pair of stylish glasses, he was the poster boy for ‘tall, dark, and handsome; and the glasses didn’t get in the way in the least. Kate knew immediately who it was and suddenly she was very jealous of Lois.
Clark!!!

He grinned. “NYPD Detective Kate Beckett. I have it on very good authority that they don’t get much more real than her, and I feel confident in saying that she’s a good friend of mine.”

Her smile was warm and genuine. “Yeah, I guess you could say that, but don’t spread it around, I wouldn’t want to undermine my reputation.”

“Your secret is safe with me.”
Excellent dialogue between Kate and Richard. They are perfect together in a very different way from Lois and Clark.

Part Two

Could not comment on One without a few words about Two!

Her years as a cop had been tumultuous to say the least. At first, her mother’s murder had been her driving focus. It occupied her entire being for years. It nearly tore her apart. She went down that rabbit hole and almost didn’t come back. It took all her strength and a fair amount of therapy to let it go. At least enough to be able to function back in the real world.
Oh, what an episode that was when she confronted her Mom's killer. My heart was in my mouth, especially when Rick, Javi and Kevin were racing to find her!

No, Lois realized that she could no longer be first with the story so she had to settle for being the best. Television and the internet were unsurpassed at the breaking headline, but that is all they did. It was up to her and institutions like the Daily Planet to give the public the complete, in-depth look behind the headline. That’s where newspapers could still excel, and as long as there were people to buy it, she was going to do her damnest to give them her best.
It is a sad fact that newspapers are struggling these days. But only the most hardy, such as the NYTimes and Washington Post survive. They do so because they are the very best at what they do. Reading the NYTimes on Sunday is still one of my favorite guilty pleasures. Lois is to her teeth and toenails a print journalist and we would have her and Clark no other way. I am very glad you brought this out. LnC firmly in the 21st century.

Kate shrugged. “You have to understand. Captain Gates doesn’t like Castle. She was forced into accepting him through the insistence of the mayor, who does like Castle. Over the years she as grudgingly come to accept that Castle is actually an integral part of my team. The fact we have the best case closure rate in the city allows her to let things continue the way they have. She’s loosened up some, seeing firsthand how valuable Castle has been, but she still doesn’t like him.”
'Iron' Gates. Never liked her character. Really miss Captain Montgomery, with all of his faults.

“I flew with Superman!” He whispered fiercely. “It was so awesome!”
Rick Castle said it best, this was frigging awesome!!!!

You gotta write some more!

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
First off, I probably should have put a crossover alert up but I find it hard to believe that anyone who was a fan of Lois and Clark would be unaware of the show Castle.
Although, I seem to be the only person on the boards who hasn't (yet) watched Castle, I figured out it was a crossover from the title. wink You'll be happy to note that I was able to follow extremely well who the characters are. They remind me a bit of Dr. Brennen (Bones) and Agent Booth -- from another show I love.

While I enjoyed getting to know the characters in the first part, it seemed a bit plotless (especially for Tank story) and more of an introductory Prologue, and I was left wondering where it would head. I would have liked the abduction of Castle to have started in Part 1, since both shows are about the solving of mysteries. <<insert witty Castle comment to Reader about being left in grave until the next part.>> But as you said, this was supposed to be a one-shot, and you're forgiven having posted Part 2 directly after Part 1.

It was interesting to see how Beckett's relationship to Castle had changed her. Would Lois have fallen to such pieces should she had received such a video of Clark at the end of S2? Yeah, probably. I wondered if you would have Castle discover the relationship between Lois and Superman or Clark and Superman, but I guess he was too busy being amazed at flying with Superman. Only a man like Castle would act like a little boy at such a time. Having been rescued from certain death, all he could think about was the trip home.

All that was missing was for the kidnappers to shave Castle's head before dropping him in the grave. laugh

I agree, this calls for a Part 3 epilogue. clap

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Kate laughed. "I'll bet what that woman has gone through in her career could really inspire a book series by one of your cohorts."

Castle gave her a thoughtful look. "I thought about it... briefly, but I rejected the idea. Truthfully, her life would be too unbelievable for mainstream crime and mystery fiction."
Guffaw! laugh

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Tank,

I hate to have to admit it, but I've never heard of "Castle'. Now that you've whet my appetite I'll have to look for it.

Thanks a heap! More to watch, as if I didn't have enough already.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj
Kerth
Kerth
smile1

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
rkn posted:

Awesomeness! Two of my favorite shows- and handsome men!- in one story. You captured the personality of all the characters extremely well.
(I'll still take Dean and, reluctantly, let someone else have Nathan Fillion though)
Moved by Admin from duplicate fdk thread. :-)

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
T
Tank Offline OP
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
T
Thanks to all the gentle readers who sampled this little exercise. Truth of the matter, I never really intended there to be much of a plot. I started out just writing something that would allow me to mesh the characters of two of my favorite shows. The original title was actually 'Trip to Metropolis'.

As it progressed I felt I wanted to show the 'growth' that Kate and Rick have gone through and needed a reason for Lois to come to New York. I now have established a 'couples' dynamic between the two shows for any future endevor I may wish to take.

For those few of you who aren't familiar with the show you can get a good feel for the show by checking out some of the hundreds of clips posted by fans on youtube. You can spend literally hours sampling various scenes from over the years of the show.

It's sort of funny, but I watched Lois and Clark when it first came out and enjoyed the show, but didn't really geek on it until I started seeing the TNT reruns every day. It has been similar with Castle. I have seen nearly all (if not all) of the episodes as they have aired, but when TNT started doing major back to back reruns I really got turned on to how good the show actually was. Seeing them again allowed me to pick up on all the excellant writing. The ongoing subtext, banter, and little asides really made the characters real and allowed you along for the ride.

I really geeked out when I bought the DVDs and spend some serious time in Castle marathon watching (of which I'm not completely over yet).

All I can say is, for me, this is the best entertainment currently on television and I hope it lasts for another 100 episodes.

Tank (who does have issues with Detective Beckett's hair over the years but it would be too much to get into here)

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yeah, but Tank, are you gonna write anymore?

Who put the bag on Castle anyway?

Personally, Beckett looks better with long hair. When it was short it looked really bad....

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
M
Columnist
Columnist
M
Originally posted by Morgana:
Personally, Beckett looks better with long hair. When it was short it looked really bad....
Oh, now you're just baiting him. wink

"It is a remarkable dichotomy. In many ways, Clark is the most human of us all. Then...he shoots fire from the skies, and it is difficult not to think of him as a god. And how fortunate we all are that it does not occur to him." -Batman (in Superman/Batman #3 by Jeph Loeb)
Kerth
Kerth
Loved it - I know Castle pretty well but I think that for those who don't the first part works well as scene-setting. About the only problem I have is that we don't get much back story on the kidnapping or see Beckett in full kick-ass detective mode, where Lois would have a hard time keeping up.

Given the big-city settings they cross pretty well, I'm surprised that there aren't more but the big Castle crossovers seem to be Supernatural and Buffy (Nathan Fillion was a major villain in the final series), Sherlock, Firefly (which starred Nathan Fillion), Avengers (same city, plus Castle is a comics geek), and other crime shows. I think the only other story that comes close is one of my Supergirl series, and L&C don't appear and most of the detective part is off-screen in that one so it doesn't really count.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
T
Tank Offline OP
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
T
As a quick reply to a few questions.

First, no kids. It's well known that I'm not fond of children so my Lois and Clark never have kids. I subscribe to the notion that Clark is an alien being, basically another species and therefore he can't procreate with Lois. I contend that 'Utopia' is founded by the ideological descendants of Lois and Superman, not their biological ones.

The 'crime story' investigation of Castle's kidnapping will begin after his rescue. There just wasn't time to do anything else before.

As I mentioned. I never meant for this to even be as long as it was. I don't write full blown long fics anymore. I'm too old and lazy to invest that much time. So Castle and Beckett's investigation is left up to the gentle readers imagination.

Beckett's hair... I have to say that it has been all over the map during the course of the series. I can point out episodes where it has looked good and looked bad during all seasons. I would have to say that during season 3 she had a more consistant look.

I do think that they've allowed it to get too long now and it's difficult to keep it looking good. Needs to be dialed back some. I've never liked buns, ponytails, and braids on grown women.

Tank (who reminds the gentle readers that he hasn't forgotten that he still owes them a TOGoM story for 2013)

J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
Well, I am a second person who has not watched Castle. In fact, I think I have only ever heard of it on LnC related discussion boards.

However I followed this story just fine.

Someone asked "where are Lois and Clark's children." I assume they have them, but they just never came up. I will pretend they were visiting their grandparents when Castle and Beckett came over.

The last part of the comment is part of the phenomenon of "death of the author" where we assume the author has not truly controling say in their own work.

John Pack Lambert
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Go here for Castle info: http://www.tv.com/shows/castle/
and here for famous author Richard Castle's bio:
http://www.amazon.com/Richard-Castle/e/B001HD1RBU/ref=ntt_dp_epwbk_0
thumbsup
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
Features Writer
Features Writer
I thoroughly enjoyed this from beginning to end. I haven't watched Castle, but I felt like I knew the characters from the backstory we were shown without getting lost in a ton of exposition. I also like how so much of Castle's character came through by way of Kate's fondness/love for him; I didn't have to see through his POV to understand why, and chuckle when, he enthused over flying with Superman (and by the way, isn't that a reaction most of us would have?).

Lois and Clark had a strong, sure relationship here, too, which I enjoy seeing a lot, and I like that it's the reporter and the novelist who are the connecting links for the two couples. And love the line about Castle not being able to base books off of Lois's life because it would be too unbelievable for mainstream fiction! smile Also had to laugh when she tells Castle that she's not worried because Lois hangs around Superman -- and she's seen pictures of Lois's husband too!

Great story! Thanks for introducing me to Castle!

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
That was awsome!! I am a huge Castle fan, but recently bought the DVD's of Lois and Clark (finally! because they aren't easy to find in Mexico) and got inmerse in the Ln'C world.... again.... hahaha!! therefore, I got excited when I read the title of your fic and started reading, and enjoyed it a lot...

which reminds me that I have to get the fifth season of Castle ....

Clark: "So what are you saying? I should go crawling back on my hands and knees?"
Martha: "No, honey. Fly back. It's faster!!"
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard