Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#80258 06/28/11 07:19 PM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Hope you liked it. smile

As always, feedback appreciated!

Reach for the moon, for even if you fail, you'll still land among the stars... and who knows? Maybe you'll meet Superman along the way. wink
#80259 06/28/11 08:01 PM
Features Writer
Features Writer
Beautiful story! I love that it moved from an introspective character piece to a revelation story--and I love that you made clear that both of them were isolated by their insecurities and vulnerabilities.

The parallels between Superman's warmth--of the sun--and Clark's--like a comfortable sweater--were very well-drawn. I loved the slow process as Lois realized they were one and the same.

The conversation over the phone was very painful; I could just see both of their expressions as they spoke so slowly and tortuously.

And the ending was perfect! I love that she moved to take his glasses and asked if he trusted her. And I love how he asked her what she was doing to him!

Great story! I loved it!

#80260 06/28/11 08:10 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
WOW! Just wow! That was pretty incredible! There are just sooooo many good lines in this. And I LOVE the reasons behind why Lois slept with Claude. I've never seen it presented quite like this before.

Like Anti-K said, I love how it was at first an introspective piece, but then it morphed to include revelations.

Just a few favorite lines/images:

Her unattainable knight in shining armor was just a man after all.
Yet Clark was comfortable like an old sweater… And Superman was warm like the sun…

Both were warm enough to melt her… thaw out the ice queen until she was human again. A woman, who just longed to be loved.
She moved closer to him, urging the warmth to reach her once more. Keep the ice queen at bay, Clark. Trust me, and I’ll trust you.

She reached out a tentative hand, towards his glasses, and he flinched, just barely.

Her heart ached for him in that moment. She saw that he was as scared as she was.

“Clark? Do you trust me?” she asked, voicing her silent plea
“Lois, what are you doing to me?” he said in a voice barely above a whisper.
“I’m telling the ordinary man—that I love him. That I choose him,” she said, her voice trembling with emotion.
And the entire ending. laugh

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

#80261 06/28/11 08:15 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Oh wow, this was amazing ! You packed such a powerful punch in so few words - FABULOUS. Loved every word of it!

LOIS:I don't like you.
MAYSON: Really? Oh god, that is such a relief - I don't like you either.
LOIS: That makes me feel so much better
#80262 06/28/11 08:51 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Well done. I really liked this. I loved Clark's nervousness at her touching his glasses, his hesitancy during the phone conversation, his realization that she loved him -- all of him.

Very sweet. thumbsup

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
#80263 06/28/11 11:28 PM
Columnist
Columnist
Hi,

I've been too busy to keep up with the MBs, but I
thought I'd take a chance and read a short.

I'm so glad I did. smile

This was so Lois and Clark, so lovely and very well written.

Note to self. Read more shorts! wink

Yours Jenni

#80264 06/28/11 11:31 PM
F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Well done, very well done. clap

Framework4
#80265 06/29/11 01:42 AM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Wow! I'm overwhelmed by your kind words. This story just sort of flowed out of me... I had had a start of one on my hard drive for a long time dealing with the night Superman rejects Lois, yet something was missing and it didn't seem to work. And then when I started on this, I took parts from the other story and it just fit. I still think I need to edit it a bit more before it goes to the archive, but I'm humbled by your response!

Thank you!! smile1

Reach for the moon, for even if you fail, you'll still land among the stars... and who knows? Maybe you'll meet Superman along the way. wink
#80266 06/29/11 01:57 AM
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Hi MozartMaid,

I really like how you captured Lois's insecurities and how you made sense of the way she kept shooting herself in the foot in the romance department.

I know you value all feedback, so I'll tell you the negative, as well: I'm afraid the ending didn't work for me. It didn't seem to me to be true to Clark's character. I would think that Clark would close himself off, at least at first, fearing that despite her words, she didn't really love Clark for himself, but only because he was also Superman. After she had just rejected Clark and thrown herself at Superman, for her to do such an about-face just when she had figured his secret out would be sure to set all sorts of warning bells off in Clark's head. Sorry about that. To judge by the other feedback, I am obviously very much in the minority here.

But even so, I did enjoy your story. It was an excellent study of Lois' psyche.

Joy,
Lynn

#80267 06/29/11 04:20 AM
L
L Offline
Columnist
Columnist
L
lovely.

Silence is violence. End white supremacy based violence
#80268 06/29/11 04:57 AM
S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
Loved seeing how Lois put the pieces together.

I especially liked this line:

“I’ve realized that I’m in love-- with an ordinary man,” she said, purposely using those words, waiting to see them register in his eyes.
Nice job!

Joan

#80269 06/29/11 08:34 AM
D
DW Offline
Columnist
Columnist
D
Loved it too! clap

#80270 06/29/11 09:27 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Lovely piece! /me melts. [Linked Image]

Andreia

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

~ Superman: Man of Tomorrow #15
#80271 06/29/11 10:24 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Lovely, just lovely. I really enjoyed it.
twins
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
#80272 06/29/11 03:54 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Very well done. Although I, too, had concerns about what Clark's reaction would be, I don't find the one you chose unbelievable. I think people can surprise us and themselves, and maybe Clark saw something in Lois that caused him to believe her to be sincere. She was, after all. In the end, she saw that she needed the ordinary man, not the unattainable hero. Great insight into Lois's self-assessment. I loved her insight that she'd been missing something vital about Superman, and that his vulnerability in that painful conversation was the key to understanding him. Delightful story!

smile

This *is* my happily ever after.
#80273 06/29/11 05:22 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Awww sweet story. I am glad Clark seemed to believe her. Nice job! Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
#80274 06/29/11 05:54 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Glad to see you posted! I knew this had to see the light of day - ASAP. Obviously others feel the same way.

Excellent vignette.

#80275 06/30/11 02:39 AM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Thank you all for the lovely feedback! I'm glad you enjoyed the story! smile1

And I appreciate your FDK Lynn:
I'm afraid the ending didn't work for me. It didn't seem to me to be true to Clark's character. I would think that Clark would close himself off, at least at first, fearing that despite her words, she didn't really love Clark for himself, but only because he was also Superman.
I see where you are coming from, but realize that his story was from Lois' POV. The ending was what she was feeling/realizing. It could be very plausible that after that last kiss, Clark could turn to her and say... 'Okay, that's all well and good... but we need to talk before we can move on.' If you look at the ending again, Clark didn't respond--except with a kiss. We know he loves her, but that doesn't mean he still wouldn't feel his own insecurities on the matter. But I didn't want to interrupt the poetical symmetry I was trying to create by contrasting the coldness Lois felt at the beginning with the warmth felt at the end. The point of the story was Lois understanding that she was worthy of love, and realizing who was the source of that validation.

Thanks for reading! wave

#80276 06/30/11 03:24 AM
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Hi MozartMaid,

Thanks for the explanation.

And please let me take the opportunity to reiterate that, despite my difficulties with that one part, I did very much enjoy reading your story. smile

Joy,
Lynn

#80277 07/05/11 09:39 AM
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Wow, I never expected a WAFFy revelation after the title and the opening gambit.

She decided she would lose herself in his money, and then maybe, he wouldn’t notice that she didn’t love him.
True. She could do that. Isn't that a fulltime job, actually?

Suddenly, her reporter’s instinct kicked in, knocking her emotions and fears to the back burner. She suddenly had a mystery to solve, and the only person in the world who could help her was Clark Kent.
Now, that could be fun. Clark having to help Lois discover Superman's identity clap

And the ice, melted away…
Did I already mention warm and fuzzy?

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard