Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: mozartmaid FDK Frigid (1/1) - 06/28/11 11:19 PM
Hope you liked it. smile

As always, feedback appreciated!
Posted By: AntiKryptonite Re: FDK Frigid (1/1) - 06/29/11 12:01 AM
Beautiful story! I love that it moved from an introspective character piece to a revelation story--and I love that you made clear that both of them were isolated by their insecurities and vulnerabilities.

The parallels between Superman's warmth--of the sun--and Clark's--like a comfortable sweater--were very well-drawn. I loved the slow process as Lois realized they were one and the same.

The conversation over the phone was very painful; I could just see both of their expressions as they spoke so slowly and tortuously.

And the ending was perfect! I love that she moved to take his glasses and asked if he trusted her. And I love how he asked her what she was doing to him!

Great story! I loved it!
Posted By: Deadly Chakram Re: FDK Frigid (1/1) - 06/29/11 12:10 AM
WOW! Just wow! That was pretty incredible! There are just sooooo many good lines in this. And I LOVE the reasons behind why Lois slept with Claude. I've never seen it presented quite like this before.

Like Anti-K said, I love how it was at first an introspective piece, but then it morphed to include revelations.

Just a few favorite lines/images:

Her unattainable knight in shining armor was just a man after all.
Yet Clark was comfortable like an old sweater… And Superman was warm like the sun…

Both were warm enough to melt her… thaw out the ice queen until she was human again. A woman, who just longed to be loved.
She moved closer to him, urging the warmth to reach her once more. Keep the ice queen at bay, Clark. Trust me, and I’ll trust you.

She reached out a tentative hand, towards his glasses, and he flinched, just barely.

Her heart ached for him in that moment. She saw that he was as scared as she was.

“Clark? Do you trust me?” she asked, voicing her silent plea
“Lois, what are you doing to me?” he said in a voice barely above a whisper.
“I’m telling the ordinary man—that I love him. That I choose him,” she said, her voice trembling with emotion.
And the entire ending. laugh
Posted By: bellarase Re: FDK Frigid (1/1) - 06/29/11 12:15 AM
Oh wow, this was amazing ! You packed such a powerful punch in so few words - FABULOUS. Loved every word of it!
Posted By: VirginiaR Re: FDK Frigid (1/1) - 06/29/11 12:51 AM
Well done. I really liked this. I loved Clark's nervousness at her touching his glasses, his hesitancy during the phone conversation, his realization that she loved him -- all of him.

Very sweet. thumbsup
Posted By: Jenni Debb Re: FDK Frigid (1/1) - 06/29/11 03:28 AM
Hi,

I've been too busy to keep up with the MBs, but I
thought I'd take a chance and read a short.

I'm so glad I did. smile

This was so Lois and Clark, so lovely and very well written.

Note to self. Read more shorts! wink

Yours Jenni
Posted By: Framework4 Re: FDK Frigid (1/1) - 06/29/11 03:31 AM
Well done, very well done. clap
Posted By: mozartmaid Re: FDK Frigid (1/1) - 06/29/11 05:42 AM
Wow! I'm overwhelmed by your kind words. This story just sort of flowed out of me... I had had a start of one on my hard drive for a long time dealing with the night Superman rejects Lois, yet something was missing and it didn't seem to work. And then when I started on this, I took parts from the other story and it just fit. I still think I need to edit it a bit more before it goes to the archive, but I'm humbled by your response!

Thank you!! smile1
Posted By: Lynn S. M. Re: FDK Frigid (1/1) - 06/29/11 05:57 AM
Hi MozartMaid,

I really like how you captured Lois's insecurities and how you made sense of the way she kept shooting herself in the foot in the romance department.

I know you value all feedback, so I'll tell you the negative, as well: I'm afraid the ending didn't work for me. It didn't seem to me to be true to Clark's character. I would think that Clark would close himself off, at least at first, fearing that despite her words, she didn't really love Clark for himself, but only because he was also Superman. After she had just rejected Clark and thrown herself at Superman, for her to do such an about-face just when she had figured his secret out would be sure to set all sorts of warning bells off in Clark's head. Sorry about that. To judge by the other feedback, I am obviously very much in the minority here.

But even so, I did enjoy your story. It was an excellent study of Lois' psyche.

Joy,
Lynn
Posted By: L Re: FDK Frigid (1/1) - 06/29/11 08:20 AM
lovely.
Posted By: scifiJoan Re: FDK Frigid (1/1) - 06/29/11 08:57 AM
Loved seeing how Lois put the pieces together.

I especially liked this line:

“I’ve realized that I’m in love-- with an ordinary man,” she said, purposely using those words, waiting to see them register in his eyes.
Nice job!

Joan
Posted By: DW Re: FDK Frigid (1/1) - 06/29/11 12:34 PM
Loved it too! clap
Posted By: Ultra Woman Re: FDK Frigid (1/1) - 06/29/11 01:27 PM
Lovely piece! /me melts. [Linked Image]

Andreia
Posted By: Artemis Re: FDK Frigid (1/1) - 06/29/11 02:24 PM
Lovely, just lovely. I really enjoyed it.
twins
Artemis
Posted By: HappyGirl Re: FDK Frigid (1/1) - 06/29/11 07:54 PM
Very well done. Although I, too, had concerns about what Clark's reaction would be, I don't find the one you chose unbelievable. I think people can surprise us and themselves, and maybe Clark saw something in Lois that caused him to believe her to be sincere. She was, after all. In the end, she saw that she needed the ordinary man, not the unattainable hero. Great insight into Lois's self-assessment. I loved her insight that she'd been missing something vital about Superman, and that his vulnerability in that painful conversation was the key to understanding him. Delightful story!

smile
Posted By: Laurach Re: FDK Frigid (1/1) - 06/29/11 09:22 PM
Awww sweet story. I am glad Clark seemed to believe her. Nice job! Laura
Posted By: IolantheAlias Re: FDK Frigid (1/1) - 06/29/11 09:54 PM
Glad to see you posted! I knew this had to see the light of day - ASAP. Obviously others feel the same way.

Excellent vignette.
Posted By: mozartmaid Re: FDK Frigid (1/1) - 06/30/11 06:39 AM
Thank you all for the lovely feedback! I'm glad you enjoyed the story! smile1

And I appreciate your FDK Lynn:
I'm afraid the ending didn't work for me. It didn't seem to me to be true to Clark's character. I would think that Clark would close himself off, at least at first, fearing that despite her words, she didn't really love Clark for himself, but only because he was also Superman.
I see where you are coming from, but realize that his story was from Lois' POV. The ending was what she was feeling/realizing. It could be very plausible that after that last kiss, Clark could turn to her and say... 'Okay, that's all well and good... but we need to talk before we can move on.' If you look at the ending again, Clark didn't respond--except with a kiss. We know he loves her, but that doesn't mean he still wouldn't feel his own insecurities on the matter. But I didn't want to interrupt the poetical symmetry I was trying to create by contrasting the coldness Lois felt at the beginning with the warmth felt at the end. The point of the story was Lois understanding that she was worthy of love, and realizing who was the source of that validation.

Thanks for reading! wave
Posted By: Lynn S. M. Re: FDK Frigid (1/1) - 06/30/11 07:24 AM
Hi MozartMaid,

Thanks for the explanation.

And please let me take the opportunity to reiterate that, despite my difficulties with that one part, I did very much enjoy reading your story. smile

Joy,
Lynn
Posted By: Darth Michael Re: FDK Frigid (1/1) - 07/05/11 01:39 PM
Wow, I never expected a WAFFy revelation after the title and the opening gambit.

She decided she would lose herself in his money, and then maybe, he wouldn’t notice that she didn’t love him.
True. She could do that. Isn't that a fulltime job, actually?

Suddenly, her reporter’s instinct kicked in, knocking her emotions and fears to the back burner. She suddenly had a mystery to solve, and the only person in the world who could help her was Clark Kent.
Now, that could be fun. Clark having to help Lois discover Superman's identity clap

And the ice, melted away…
Did I already mention warm and fuzzy?

Michael
Posted By: KenJ Re: FDK Frigid (1/1) - 07/22/11 10:22 AM
Excellently done! Wonderfully WAFFY
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards