Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Last thank you ...

To all those who fought so hard in 1996 to keep our Club. In our heads, we know it's just a footy club. In our hearts, we know it's so much more.

Again many thanks to everyone who read and/or commented. I had a blast, and I'm so glad you enjoyed it, too.

Next fic is 'Trusting Me, Trusting You.' Prologue should be up in a couple of days.

Corrina.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Ah you spoil us with an epilogue! This was truly amazing, Corrina. I swear footy is one of the most fascinating sports on this planet. Thank you for writing, and I look forward to the next fic as well!

All the best,
JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
Loved this entire story and the epilogue was perfect! So, did Mayson never get better? I loved this story and I'm sad to see it end. Can't wait to read the next one. thumbsup

I heart Clark Kent.
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Wow! Aussie Rules has been an awesome ride from start to finish. Totally enjoyed it, and the epilogue was perfect.

thumbsup hyper

Cheers and many thanks!
Elizabeth

Top Banana
Top Banana
This was a fantastic end to what has truly been a wonderful story. Thank you so much for sharing.

Now I regret that somehow I was never aware of footy during those months I spent in Melbourne in 2000. I wish I could have a do-over on that time to see how much I notice.

Bob

F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Delightful epilogue. But I still think you should have had Clark move and Superman establish a more international presence not associated with any one city or country.

Framework4
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Meant to say... naming Lois and Clark's daughter, Victoria, was a nice touch. smile

Was there a meaning behind Austin's name? Have I missed something there?

Cheers
Elizabeth

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Just had another thought... is 'Austin' a take on 'Australia?'

Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
You got it, Elizabeth.

Austin can be shortened to Aussie. laugh

And Melbourne is the capital of the state of Victoria.

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I love their multinational family life. Everyone seems so complete. smile

D
DW Offline
Columnist
Columnist
D
That was a great epilogue - an excellent tie up to the whole, epic story (but if you ever want to write that sequel, I'm in!)

Thanks for sharing and I'm also looking forward to the next fic!

smile

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well, I'm sad, because this wrap up may mean no sequel, but I'm happy at the ending and the tie-up.
It does bring it full circle and provides a really happy ending. This was a great story overall and taught me a lot about Australia. Whoever thought I would cry over a footy match when I didn't even know what that was when the story started.
Outstanding writing job!
regards
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I will miss this story-- you managed to make me interested in a sport I never heard of, and your writing is terrific.

i would have liked to have seen more of a real resolution of the Mayson thread. That felt loose ended.
I look forward to whatever else you write

T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Silly me, I thought after all the waff and genuine relationship building without an abnormal amount of angst, our gentle writer whould want to have a happy ever after type epilogue.

Instead the gentle readers are subjext to the horror of THREE (not one, not two, but THREE) little creatures to make Lois and Clark's life miserable.

Why do you hate Lois and Clark so?

Tank (who has never been able to understand the need to saddle Lois and Clark with rugrats, especially considering they are not genetically compatible... Clark is an alien... not the same species as Lois)

F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Originally posted by Joy Moony:
i would have liked to have seen more of a real resolution of the Mayson thread. That felt loose ended.
rotflol

'Good luck to the Hawks today, Love Dan and May.'

"Who's it from?" Clark asked.

"Dan Scardino."

Clark's eyebrows lifted in surprise. "When was the last time you heard from him?"

Lois thought back. "I think he sent a text when Victoria was born."

"What did he say?"

"Just 'good luck' for today." Lois read it again. "He signed it 'Dan and May'."
rotflol

Framework4
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Nice epilogue. When you said Dan and May I thought...Mayson? But I guess it was a coink i dink.

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I loved this fic. You took something which most would think is totally non-L&C - Australian rules football (heck, it's literally half a world away from Metropolis) - and wrote a wonderful fic around it.

Your passion shines through and illuminates the story. I never thought footy could be so interesting, and yet you made it so.

Two words, twice:

Well done. Kerth Award.

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I'm gonna miss this fic. It was very entertaining and kinda educational, as I've learned a lot about the Aussie Culture.

It wasn't until this past month that I really understood what it meant to love a sport team. I was very disappointed over a football game (american football) that I was sure we were going to when, and man it sucks.

Thank you for writing this fic, and I hope to see more from you!

~I Love this tragic sometimes magic awful beautiful life!~
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Aww, that was a great epilogue! clap

"Just 'good luck' for today." Lois read it again. "He signed it 'Dan and May'."

Clark grinned. "Sounds like he found himself a woman."
Huh, would you look at that, Mayson actually got Detered and moved to Australia to marry Dan.

Uhm, I've got a couple of little logistics questions. Hope you don't mind blush
How did Clark manage to rake in several thousand fights to Melbourne over two years? He would have to have visited Lois several times a day to manage this.
And how are they able to make five trips to Australia per year. After all, given that travel time is a good 36 hours in each direction, would they fly down for just a day in Australia and fly back again?
Also, how are they able to afford three months off a year for Australia?

"No, I don't," Victoria asserted. She was right. During their frequent visits to Australia, Victoria spoke like a born and bred Aussie. She had the accent, she used the slang, and she called Lois 'Mum'. As soon as they arrived in the States, she reverted to the all-American kid. Clark had noticed that Lois did it, too - although not as noticeably, and probably not as consciously, as their daughter did.
Awwww, cute! clap

She patted her stomach. "G'day, Cyril."
laugh

"Hoooooddddddggggggggggeeeeeeeeeeeyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!" Victoria screamed. She turned to Lois, her face alight with exhilaration. "Hodgey won the Norm Smith."

Lois kissed the cheek of her excited girl. "He deserves it - he played a superb game."

Seb was grinning at Chris. "Sorry," he said. "No 'Cyril'."

"What about 'Luke'?" she suggested.
laugh

Chris said. "But I've seen how Clark begins to look fraught if he's away from you for half an hour. There is no way he'd go back to Metropolis and leave you here if it really meant he wasn't going to see you for months on end."
notworthy

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Jen

Ah you spoil us with an epilogue!
I'm so glad you see it like that because I wrote the ep as a chance for me to relive a day that holds so many wonderful memories.

Jen P

I'm sad to see it end.
Thank you - after 68 parts, that's something. smile

Elizabeth

ride from start to finish.
They were a whole lot further apart than I thought when I started it!!

Bob IIRC, you were in Melbourne Dec-Feb. That is the height of the cricket season and although there would have been footy stories around, they wouldn't have been prominent. Also, the Sydney Olympics were coming and there was a lot of excitement about that. I'm not surprised you didn't notice footy.

Framework It was always my intention to borrow Clark - I never intended to take Superman from Metropolis.

Amy Multinational life is easier when you can fly!! However, I also wanted it that Lois and Clark continued to keep strong ties with Melbourne, even after moving to Metropolis.

DW I have about five fics I really want to write - and none of them are the sequel to AR. However, I am a slave to my muse, so if it suddenly decides AR Sequel is what we're working on, that's what I'll be writing. wink

Artemis Being able to write about Australia (beyond footy) was something I really enjoyed. I'm glad you did, too.

Joy A few have asked about Mayson.

The fic had two threads - footy (mainly the Hawthorn merger) and Superman/Mayson. I tried to tie them together with the LnC relationship. However, I felt that the epilogue had to focus on only one. I chose footy and GF Day '08. That made it really hard to tie up all the loose ends of the other thread.

It was hard to bring Mayson, Perry, even M&J into GF Day 08. Had Lois and Clark suddenly started discussing Mayson, I felt that would have been very out of place. Also, I wanted her to have become totally irrelevant in their lives.

So, I dropped a few hints and left it up to the reader to draw their own conclusions.

In part 67, where Perry was with the psychiatrist

"Are there any topics I should avoid?"

Dr Vandenberg sighed. "Many," she said. Ticking them off on her fingers, she listed, "Superman, Lex Luthor, Clark Kent, Ultra Woman, Nigel St John, Charlie, football reporters, libraries, Australia, gas leaks, green rock ..." Having run out of fingers, she lifted her hands in despair. "... and, as of this morning, Dan Scardino."

"Dan?"

"This morning she was convinced that Dan is leaving Australia to come to Metropolis to marry her."
In the epilogue ...

The 'junior' part of her status had dropped away when, during her stay in 1997, the team of Lane and Kent had finally gotten incontrovertible proof that Lex Luthor was the Boss - and that he was the one who had ordered the placement of the bomb that had changed Mayson Drake's life forever.
So, Mayson never went back to being a top reporter.

Lastly was the 'Dan and May' clue.

It was vague and probably felt like a loose end, but I didn't think Mayson deserved a neatly packaged ending. (The readers did, but that's another matter laugh )

Tank There are two reasons why I gave them children. Firstly, it gives greater meaning to the fight to save Hawthorn. In 1996, I was distraught at the possibility of losing Hawthorn, but what really, really hurt was that my children wouldn't be able to barrack for the Hawks. On GF Day 08, four of my kids came with me to the game. I loved the day, loved that we won, but the absolutely greatest treasure of the day was being able to share it with my kids.

Secondly, Clark wanted children and Lois seemed open to the idea. Had they not been able to have children, this would have opened up another aspect to the fic - and perhaps cast a sadness over what I wanted to be a perfectly happy ending. Therefore, I simply gave them two kids - no dramas, no incompatibility issues.

Laura It's up to you whether you want to think Dan and May ended up together. I think it's a fitting end for her, given how much she looked down on everything Australian!

Iolanthe I was not sure it would work - you were the one who kept assuring me it was working - thanks smile

2A2TV Yep, losing sucks. But the other side is that life must be pretty good if the result of a sports contest means so much.

Michael

I don't mind the questions at all, Michael. If I've left plot holes, I'd like to know about them.

How did Clark manage to rake in several thousand fights to Melbourne over two years?
The 'thousands of times' was a reference to 12 years, not 2.

And how are they able to make five trips to Australia per year.
I'm not sure where you got the 5 trips a year from. My thinking was ... 12 years, 2 trips a year, 4 flights a year, 48 flights - rounded up to 50.

The trip now is about 24 hours from the east coast of the USA to Melbourne. I'm not sure how long it was in 1996 - but you're right, you wouldn't come for just a day!

Also, how are they able to afford three months off a year for Australia?
Perry and Browny worked out the 'logistics' - I figure they worked for the Herald Sun during their times in Oz.

I hope that makes more sense. laugh

THANK YOU to everyone who shared this journey with me. I really appreciate your interest, encouragement, and lovely FDK.

'Trusting Me, Trusting You' is *very* different to/from ('to' is Australian, 'from' is American laugh ) AR. I'm stoked at how many are looking forward to it being posted, but I did want to warn that, if you're thinking it will be at all like AR, you might be disappointed. cool

Corrina.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard