Rac Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
R
Thoughts?

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Wow! So wonderful to see Clark finally able to give himself some real closure to his fears of harming a man he had so many reasons to hate. He needed to know he passed the test without hurting anyone, and he did it!

Absolutely loved the end of this part with them in the story choosing how to decorate that nursery, with Jon really making choices. So sweet -- and smart of them, too!! clap

EvelynC
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A flick of his wrists.

A dart of his heat vision.

A tightening of his grip.

Any of these things would have been sufficient to end Jiang’s existence.

And to end Clark’s.
I love how Clark is obsessing on this. He has the temptation. It would be so easy. Jiang deserves it, well, mostly.

And yet Clark comes through, because he always does. The toughest battle is against himself. I hope this sets the memories of Nor to rest.

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
clap clap

And one might almost feel sorry for the hunted ex-Triad. Almost. But not quite. I did, however wonder about the morality of Sueprman just scaring Jiang into soiling his underwear. devilsplat

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
D
DW Offline
Columnist
Columnist
D
I did almost feel sorry for Jiang - the intro part was written so well!

The end with the nursery decisions and Jon's involvement was so cute!

clap

Blogger
Blogger
It feels like I've been following this series for such a long time now, I'm always so excited to see a new chapter up smile I can't help wondering whether it may be coming to a close though (please no!) as Clark seems to be resolving the major issues he returned from New Krypton with. It's so lovely to see them all functioning well as a family, as always I am a sucker for the Jon snippets. Can't wait to meet the new baby! Thanks Rac for again posting another great part. Can't wait for the next!

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
I think we are coming to a close with this wonderful epic tale. The Triad has been dealt with, Clark's psychological difficulties have been identified (that's at least half the battle right there) and are being dealt with honestly, he and Lois have restored their relationship to the point where they can disagree or ask each other probing questions without starting a battle or scaring one of them away, and that lovely baby is on its way to their arms - and their beautiful nursery, courtesy of Jon, who's going to be a wonderful big brother.

I think these two deserve some rest and relaxation soon. Maybe a couple of months after the baby's born, they can take a day and visit their private island beach so Clark can admire Lois' new stretch marks and Lois can make him forget about them for a few hours. And don't forget the protection! Too many babies too close together spoil the superhero business.

Just had a thought - will some enterprising scandal rag editor compare pictures of Ultra Woman from before the Triad's attempt on their lives to after her return and discover that she's a little - uh - top-heavy? "It's just the camera angle, you idiot! She was gone for a year because she was shot, not because she was pregnant!"

Waiting for the next chapter.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
A wonderful part. Like Terry, I think this fantastic epos is drawing to a close. Odysseus, you've got nothing on Clark Kent.

And speaking of which...

‘I am Clark Kent,’ he said silently to himself, repeating the beginnings of the mantra he’d said over and over again when he’d been Nor’s prisoner, the silent affirmation that he had no intention of meekly surrendering to the darkened night. ‘I have a mother and a father and a wife and children who love me dearly. I will not die because they need me.’
Indeed. He will not die because they need him, and he will not kill, not when it isn't absolutely necessary, because that would also kill him in every way that matters. That was so poignant and so lovely.

I, too, loved seeing Jon as a thoughtful big brother!

But unlike Terry, I don't think Ultra Woman will have stretch marks. Surely her invulnerability will take care of those? As for being a bit top-heavy, though... well, I'm not so sure she won't be! laugh

Ann

R
Rac Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
R
Thanks for your comments, everyone.

Evelyn, glad you enjoyed the resolution of the Jiang plot line and LnC's decision to include Jon in the process of getting ready for a new baby. I imagine it's probably pretty tough for a kid, seeing how excited everyone else is about the new baby, wondering if they'll still pay any attention to you once the baby arrives.

I agree, Iolan, Clark is just about the most dependable person there is, and not in a boring, the mailman always shows up at 2 pm sort of way. Clark Kent is the guy you always want on your side. He always comes through. And no matter how hard it is, or how much it sucks, he does the right thing.

I completely believe it would have been well within Superman's rights to make Jiang pee his pants, Michael. wink

Thanks, DW, I'm glad that Jiang's desperation came through in the first section.

Frequentflyer, I'm afraid we are indeed, approaching the end. It has been a very, very long time since I started this story (with some terribly long breaks, I admit). More is coming up.

You're correct, Terry, we're coming up on the end. There's not much left at all. As for any costume issues Ultrawoman may have, I don't know...guess she'll jump off that bridge when she gets to it...I do recall her using bandages to bind her chest in the pilot....

I agree, Ann, superpowers probably negate the possibility of stretch marks. All mortal women should be jealous of her (as if having Clark Kent weren't reason enough). Thanks for reading and commenting so faithfully. Glad to hear you enjoyed Jon's part in this section.

More is on its way!

Rac

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard