Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
We're finally done. At least for now. smile1

Bob

Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
I liked it. Sequel please.

"But my experience is that as soon as people are old enough to know better, they don't know anything at all."

-Oscar Wilde, "Lady Windermere's Fan"
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Bob I thought you did a wonderful job and I would love to see you do a sequel!. Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Very nice. I'm glad you aren't having the memories come back. I like happy endings but not that nothing bad really happened.

A sequal would be good however.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
"I missed the obvious physical resemblance between Superman and Clark. That’s bad enough, but since no one else seemed to be able to see the resemblance either, I’m willing to cut myself some slack on that."
I got a real kick out of this line. Gee, nobody seems to recognize that Clark and Superman look alike!

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Great part!

I love how you had Clark's power come back for real after he had spent a day on the beach in the sun. Also loved his problems and his solutions to the conundrum of shaving. I remember that in the old comic books, they solved this problem by saying that Superman's beard and hair didn't grow. In one story from the sixties, however, when Superman had been exposed to red kryptonite, he grew a terrific head of hair and an incredible beard. The hair and beard proved impossible to get rid of, until Supergirl and Krypto the Superdog zapped it with combined beams of their heat vision. That's where later versions of Superman incarnations got their ideas on how to keep Clark well-groomed! smile

I was just a little disappointed that Martha and Jonathan returned, because even though I like Martha and Jonathan very much (who doesn't?), I thought their reappearance detracted a little from the story. First, their return was like an afterthought, a P.S., and we weren't told a thing about how they had survived. It was in fact quite unlikely that they would be alive, so their survival was a bit like the infamous deus ex machina.

Also and to me more seriously, their reappearance detracted from what I thought was a wonderful premise of this fic, namely the idea that Clark was almost totally dependent on Lois for his continued well-being, and indeed, for his very identity. It was through Lois he remembered anything at all, and never has she grounded him as much as she did in this fic.

So I loved this story!

Ann

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Loved this story. Will post more later.

T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Bob, I liked the story very much. It was a fun ride watching Clark react and interact with Lois without the 'baggage' of being Superman.

Also, it was fun to see Lois able to relate to the more straight foreward and 'open' Clark. It was mindful of the old comic book story where a magician made Superman 'disappear' which basically caused Clark to forget that he was Superman.

This was set in the old canon, where Clark Kent was actually 'mild-mannered'. The Superman-less Clark was more dynamic and forward. He courted Lois Lane and won her over. It wasn't until they were married that Lois discovered that Clark was actually Superman. He still didn't know. Of course, Lois tracked down the villian who caused the disappearance of Superman and made him 'fix' the situation.

Knowing that Superman would have never married her if he'd known he was Superman, Lois left him note and tried to nobly walk out of his life. Naturally Superman realised that he could no more let Lois walk out of his life than he could stop breathing so him found her and brought her back.

The one quibble I have with the story is, that once Clark knows he was Superman he didn't feel more responsible for all the death and destruction that happened. Intellectually he would know that his injuries, lack of powers, and loss of memory would have precluded his ability to have had any affect on what happened. But Clark/Superman has always been the King of 'if only I had...'. It would have been nice to see Lois (talk?) him out of such nonsense.

I fully expected Martha and Jonathan to reappear somewhere near the end, and their appearance really doesn't affect this story, but will have significant impact on the sequel (which you have no choice but to do). I also expect the sequel to have bring out a real divergence of peoples feelings toward the Man of Steel. Even though it's common knowledge that Luthor was the real cause of all the devastation, there are going to be many who will still blame Superman.

Good story.

Tank (who is sorry for rambling on about the old comic book story, but couldn't help but see the correlations between the two Superman-less Clarks)

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Excellent story, Bob. It was a believable (within the L&C universe, of course) plot line and you executed it very well. The exploration of the devastation wrought by the Nightfall fragments was very well done, although you could develop that more in the sequel if you chose to do so. And I liked the way you developed the rebuilt relationship between Clark and Lois.

I really liked how Lois, despite her own losses, didn't turn to Clark for total support when he was emotionally open and vulnerable. She helped to build him back up before she allowed herself to open up and return his love. You showed Lois to be strong, independent, confident, and wise. Good job.

Ann wrote:
(Jonathan and Martha's) reappearance detracted from what I thought was a wonderful premise of this fic, namely the idea that Clark was almost totally dependent on Lois for his continued well-being, and indeed, for his very identity.
Shame on you, Ann! You're wishing for the very thing you would have condemned (and have condemned) had Lois been almost totally dependent on Clark for her continued well-being, and indeed, for her very identity. You've described co-dependence very well, and neither Lois nor Clark should be that dependent on the other. A healthy romantic relationship consists of two people who freely choose to commit to each other, not one who controls the other and on whom the other is totally dependent.

That being said, Bob, you really, really need to let us know where Jonathan and Martha have been for all these weeks. I'm sure you have an excellent explanation and I'm ready to hear it.

Although I understand why you didn't want them in the story. You were using Lois and the other residents of Metropolis (including Lex) to rebuild Clark's sense of self, and you did a good job with it. It makes sense that you wouldn't want Clark's past interfering with the reassembly of his present and his future. But now you have a great opportunity for some real angst. Clark doesn't remember us? wails Martha. Son, don't you know us? pleads Jonathan. That will be very interesting to read. Now Lois will get to help Clark rebuild a part of his past, too, now that the present and the future are taken care of.

Thumbs up, Bob! And think about stuff like this more often.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Well, there's not much to say what hasn't been mention before so I'll just focus on the ending. Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww blush

Their day at the beach was a nice way to get some powers back into Clark smile Glad to see Martha and Jonathan are back. Can't wait to see the sequel!

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Kerth
Kerth
I'm not a huge fan of episode rewrites and revisions, but this one worked pretty well. I'm a bit in agreement with others in feeling that bringing Jonathan and Martha at the end was in a sense a cheat, but it works as a trailer for a sequel if the explanation is good.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yeah! Their not dead!!!

Looking forward to the sequel.

James

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
Blogger
Blogger
It's amazing how a single thought can morph into an epic, isn't it? I can also appreciate how difficult it can be to knit the scenes you *WANT* to include with the ones you *HAVE* to have for the story to flow.

I've also had the fortune to discover your other substantive L&C works, "Luck and Consequences" and "Ultrawoman", and couldn't help but notice your "Super" intense focus on the L&C relationship. (I tend to a bit of softy there). I was also thrilled to discover an "aggressive verisimilitude" in your work, revealing the science behind the powers and actions of Superman or explaining the deviations from laws of physics.

This one looks like it was a more difficult premise to deal with than your earlier work. While the earlier stuff was arguably primarily relationship puff pieces, this one required more plot and more attention to action. Those aspects of the story couldn't just be mentioned in passing. You rose to the challenge, and any quibbles I may have with the story are easily forgotten and hardly worth mentioning. Well done.

thumbsup

F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Originally posted by Tank:
The one quibble I have with the story is, that once Clark knows he was Superman he didn't feel more responsible for all the death and destruction that happened....Clark/Superman has always been the King of 'if only I had...'
I liked the way this was handled. This Clark has a different sort of baggage.

Canon Clark had spend years not doing things because of his secret and built up enough guilt to last two life times. So even after he because Superman all that old guilt was still sitting there. Picture a see-saw with a concrete block on one side. Hard to achieve balance.

Thus canon Clark always felt guilty and clearly even after accepting that logically he was not at fault the emotion remained.

This Clark doesn't have that guilt, so starts off in a better place. As far as he knows he started helping and didn't stop till he was almost killed.

Without all the back drama he is able to emotionally accept that the blame lies with Lex Luthor.

Lois and Clark had been actively discussing the options for the reappearance of Superman, but so far all of the ideas sounded unattractive.
If we assume that his powers come back but not completely or at full strength than it might be better is Superman does not return.

I'd like to see a sequel set 17 to 18 years in the future, (17+1993=2010) when the next generation of Kents begins to fly but I'd happily accept an epilogue.

Well done part, very well done tale.

Originally posted by Terry Leatherwood:
you have a great opportunity for some real angst. Clark doesn't remember us? wails Martha. Son, don't you know us? pleads Jonathan.
Yet another good reason for the sequel or epilogue being set 17 years later.

Framework4
bobbart Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
The first thing I’d like to do is address the M&J’s appearance at the end.

When Beverly read the first draft and discovered that M&J had really died when Nightfall smashed Smallville, she asked me to try to find a way for them to survive. I initially refused for two reasons.

1. As I said earlier, there was no place for them in this story.
2. Even if I could find a way for them to survive they could not appear until the very end. I told Beverly that bringing them in this way would harm the artistic integrity of the piece. There is a certain tragic beauty to Clark having really lost all of his past. By bringing back his parents, I've marginalized that aspect of the overall story. It also adds a "jack in the box" surprise ending.

My point is that I understand that there is a nontrivial price to pay for M&J coming in at the end. When Ann, Marcus and others suggest that this might not have been the best thing to do in this story, I completely understand. Having them appear was a tough decision on my part.

In the end, I decided to have them appear. I finally concluded that aside from being the nice thing to do, their presence offers some worthwhile story potential for a sequel. Since I knew I wasn’t going to address either Lex or Superman’s return in this work, I had conceded that a sequel of some sort was going to happen.

As for what is going to happen, I have no idea. I am more drained than I’ve ever been. I will say that I have been toying with some of the ideas that are mentioned in this thread.

Finally, I’m glad Ann and Marcus felt comfortable to say that this might not have been the best thing to do. If no one would have said anything then I’d have thought that it was such a bad decision that no one wanted to tell me. I really do appreciate all the feedback, not just the positive parts.

Now, to the specific comments:

eminMN:
Hi. Thank you. As for a sequel, as I said there will be one. But I want it to be good and that means that it may be a while.

Laura:
Thanks. Reading through these comments has triggered some ideas for the sequel.

dcarson:
I like happy endings but not that nothing bad really happened.
I agree. I hope to use the sequel to explore some of the real consequences of the aftermath of Nightfall on the world and the memory loss for Clark. I can feel the potential for some very good - and possibly very serious - stories here.

IolantheAlias:
smile Yeah. I couldn’t resist the dig at FRD (Facial Recognition Disorder)

Ann:
I remember the comic books where Superman’s hair didn’t grow. I never knew when it changed to heat vision. All I know is that in both LnC and animated Superman, it is heat vision now.

I spoke to your M&J points above. As I said, I see and largely agree with your points. I PROMISE that there is a reasonable explanation for:
1. How they survived.
2. Where they were.
3. Why they didn’t phone ahead.
I felt bad enough popping them in at the end the way I did. I would never have done that unless I had an answer to the three questions above. Even if my muse completely abandons me for the rest of the sequel, there will be a short to explain their appearance.

And as for the Lois and Clark relationship. She really did save him. But he was saving her as well. The way saved him was obvious. But with what we know from what happened in S1, this:
“If you hadn’t made it back, I have to believe that there was a good chance I would have accepted his invitation and stayed in his copy of my apartment. Then when my building was destroyed…”

“Luthor was so skilled at hiding the truth and manipulating people. Who knows, I might have ended up with him. Maybe even married him.”
would almost certainly have gone this way.

They saved each other and to an extent they are co-dependent. But in my mind the fact that Lois is and will always be first, doesn’t mean that there isn’t room for M&J to help Clark pick up the pieces.

c-mom:
I’m glad you liked it.

Tank:
That comic does sound a lot like my story. I’ve never heard of it before. I assume that something happened at the end that “undid” the marriage since they didn’t get married until much later. I’m sure I would have found that to be more than slightly irritating.
Clark knows he was Superman he didn't feel more responsible for all the death and destruction that happened
I considered including the scene where Clark considers Nightfall. I did sketch it up. The key is that this Clark knows that he barely survived Lex’s murder attempt. In fact, he doesn’t even know how he survived. The Clark that is obsessed with everything being his fault died in the K-gas attack. This Clark is much more rational. (Hmmm… Maybe this should be in the sequel.)

As for what might happen in the sequel, I think you and Terry have been talking to my muse. Many people will blame Superman forever for the Nightfall disaster. Clark will have to be ready to deal with that before Superman can return. And even then, actually handling it will be hard.

Terry:
Thank you so much for the kind words.

As for this:
But now you have a great opportunity for some real angst. Clark doesn't remember us? wails Martha. Son, don't you know us? pleads Jonathan.
You’ve been talking to my muse!

Michael:
Well, there's not much to say what hasn't been mention before so I'll just focus on the ending. Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
I have to ask. Was this for M&J or for the floating? Or what probably happened prior to the floating?

Marcus:
As I said, I think I understand how you feel about M&J appearing at the end. When all was said and done, it was for the benefit of the sequel. I hope I can do something with a sequel that justifies the decision. Thanks for the feedback.

James:
I’m glad you liked the ending. Reading this thread alone has moved the sequel forward.

Mr. Beeto:
I've also had the fortune to discover your other substantive L&C works, "Luck and Consequences" and "Ultrawoman", and couldn't help but notice your "Super" intense focus on the L&C relationship.
Ummm… guilty. I love this relationship and have a hard time staying away from it. A-plot is overrated anyway. But seriously, I commented along the way that I think there is more A-plot here than in all my other works put together.
You rose to the challenge, and any quibbles I may have with the story are easily forgotten and hardly worth mentioning. Well done.
Thanks. The last three months or so have been a constant stream of:
WHAT HAVE YOU GOTTEN YOURSELF INTO?!
THIS IS BEYOND YOUR SKILL LEVEL!
It has been a humbling experience.

One last note: By what I have to assume is a funny coincidence, just yesterday I received a suggestion that I head over to the Movieverse and check out your “Family Reunion.” I’m looking forward to reading it.

Framework4:
Your assessment of Clark’s reaction to his part in Nightfall is spot-on.
Now this:
his powers come back but not completely or at full strength
and this
a sequel set 17 to 18 years in the future
are VERY interesting ideas.

Thanks everyone.

Bob

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
One last note: By what I have to assume is a funny coincidence, just yesterday I received a suggestion that I head over to the Movieverse and check out your “Family Reunion.” I’m looking forward to reading it.
Sorry to hijack the thread, Bob, but I was really glad to see Mr. Beeto here. Because "Family Reunion" was one of the best fanfics I've read all year.

Go ahead and read it. You'll like it.

F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Originally posted by bobbart:
Tank:
That comic does sound a lot like my story. I’ve never heard of it before. I assume that something happened at the end that “undid” the marriage since they didn’t get married until much later. I’m sure I would have found that to be more than slightly irritating.
IIRC That tale was published in the late 1960s or early 1970s but took place in the 1940s Earth2 'Verse, where they worked for the Daily Star" and Clark beat out his rival, Perry White, for the position as editor and Lois & Clark stay married.
Earth2 Superman bio

Framework4
Blogger
Blogger
Just a couple more comments on Bob's comments:
The last three months or so have been a constant stream of:
Tell me about it. That's got to be a common fanfic writer's lament. I had so many of those moments with "Family Reunion". Speaking of which...
By what I have to assume is a funny coincidence, just yesterday I received a suggestion that I head over to the Movieverse and check out your “Family Reunion.” I’m looking forward to reading it.
Yeah, that's gotta be a coincidence. You'll want to block out plenty of time. That story is about 275,000 words (or 475 pages when combined in a single word doc, with moderate margins). Somehow, I never get inspired by short stories. eek

bobbart Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Hey, Beeto:
I meant to respond to this but I missed it:
I was also thrilled to discover an "aggressive verisimilitude" in your work, revealing the science behind the powers and actions of Superman or explaining the deviations from laws of physics.
I couldn't help but smile at this. I do have a certain interest in this side of Superman, after all, I have a degree in Physics.

I love that stuff. The original reason I started writing was to present my KE ideas for Superman's powers.

Bob

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
smile1

EvelynC
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard