Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
MLT Offline OP
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
So here is philosophical question for you. How much are our present actions determined by our memories? Does what we remember from our past determine our future actions? And what happens when those memories get all mixed up?

Of course, it’s my personal opinion that Lois’ ‘memories’ just gave her permission to do what she wanted to do, anyway, but this story caused me to ponder the above questions for quite some time. I'm interested to know what you all think.

ML wave

She was in such a good mood she let all the pedestrians in the crosswalk get to safety before taking off again.
- CC Aiken, The Late Great Lois Lane
D
DW Offline
Columnist
Columnist
D
Naive, naive Clark... Luckily he realized in time that Lois was seducing him to get back to Metropolis.

Philosophy ... great. So skipped out on that and took other subjects instead. But back to your questions: I think that present actions based on memories is determined by what you remember, your experience, feelings, consequences and so forth.

For example, if you have once admitted to cheat on a test and this got you in trouble with the principle or suspended, then your present action in a similar situation will be based on your memory and the consequence of your actions. So, you have a choice to again admit to cheating or you can deny it and see the "new" outcome of your decision (or present action). However, present actions are also based on your morals and values - if you believe that it is better to be honest than to lie, then you will probably be honest, but if you are an honest kind of person, then you probably wouldn't have cheated in the first place.

As for what happens when past memories get mixed up, I guess present/future actions will not add up to who you really are (or before they got mixed up), but be more impulsive, and will give you permission to do (or not to do) things you normally would have or not have done.

Don't know if that makes sense confused Think I just confused myself ...

Anyhow, great part and can't wait how everything will be resolved! BTW, will Lois find those more current diaries?

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
ML, you scared the living beetlejuice out of me with this part help And is this Wanda coming through?

She met his eyes then. “And I love you,” she responded. Then, after a moment’s hesitation, she settled back against his chest. “So what time is it?” she finally asked.

“Who cares?” he responded.
confused Did the intensive one-on-one physical therapy really work?

“I think we should go back to Metropolis.”
help

“Sorry,” he responded. “I guess I sort of got distracted by the word ‘lovers.’” It was true - though not quite in the way he knew she would take it.
He’s not going to fall for it. Please?

He nodded. “I think that’s why I booked that sunset cruise for us on Hobbs Bay and then waited until the sun was going down over the ocean and the entire area was lit up by the red sunset before getting down on my knee and asking you to marry me. I guess I figured you wouldn’t be able to say no in such a romantic setting. I was so relieved when you said yes.” He held his breath then, hoping that she would correct him, or admit that she didn’t remember that part or... or anything that wouldn’t prove that she was lying to him.
He isn’t falling for it. hyper

“I said yes when you asked me to marry you,” Clark said. “So what is this? You don’t remember us at all, do you? You just made... had sex with me to convince me to take you back to Metropolis.” Even though he knew she wouldn’t care how much she’d hurt him, he couldn’t keep the heartbreak out of his voice on his words.

“Okay, fine. Yes! You’re right, Clark! But you kidnapped me and even though I’ve looked everywhere I can think of, I haven’t been able to find out where you put the radio or satellite phone or whatever you’re going to use to get us off this damn island! And you say you love me, but if you cared about me at all, you’d take me back to Max so that he can help me recover my memory!” As she spoke, she crawled backwards out of bed
So, this personality is either a completely scared young woman who’s selling her body for her freedom or a conniving bitch just using all her assets to get her way. And I’m not sure which is preferable because one isn’t Lois and the other is totally heartbreaking. And Clark’s going to be scarred for life. Poor toys mecry

Clark instantly moved, pushing himself upright and away from Lois, needing the distance so that he could, hopefully, think straight.
Now this can sound sooo dirty if I want laugh

“Newsflash, Clark! I’m not in love with you. And no matter what you make me ‘remember,’ that’s never going to change. I love only Max. You mean nothing to me.”

Clark blinked. “What?” he asked, his mind whirling following her last words.

“You mean nothing to me,” she repeated.

“And you... love only Max.”
Yeah, on the post-hypnotic suggestion bit. He could ask Deter. In a ‘friendly’ way. Maybe use his own eyes to make a not-really-hypnotic suggestion wildguy

Did I mention that if anyone ever thinks I step over the line, they should feel free to let me know? I think I know where the boundries are, but at times I think my big toe has a tendency to crowd that line. So if you ever think I've stepped over the line, please let me know.
/nods/ But so far, it’s pretty much the reader’s mind that’s filling in all the dirt peep

ML, I’m totally scared, hyped, angsted, gut-wrenched out of my mind right now. This is a scarily brilliant story. And most of this is probably just my own evil imagination running wild but it’s still your fault and I need more. Please? Pretty please?

Michael

PS: I hope this FDK makes sense, as far as coherence is concerned.

PPS: And you've now got another full circle. This time with Superstud.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Oh boy! That was good! Really really good! And after all that excitement of Operation Fool (and seduce) Kent, only to have his hopes dashed the next morning, you give us a sliver of hope!

Wonderful gripping stuff! More! More! SOON PLEASE!

smile1

Cheers
Elizabeth

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
man! so glad he was on to her before he did anything "super"!

S
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
S
oy

BJ Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Wow, ML. You don't pull any punches, do you?

As to your question, I think our actions are based on both memories and feelings, but I definitely think that feelings have the greater hold on us. One can be raised with impeccable morals (Clark Kent, anyone?), but he will still bend the rules to get a story, mislead his friends and loved ones to protect his secret, and spirit away his fiance to a remote island to rescue her from herself. He acted in part due to his memories, but the driving factor to all these actions was a feeling.

Fear, love, hatred, sadness, guilt -- all can have an amazing affect on a persons actions, regardless of their knowledge of good and evil -- or the law. laugh

One might know that cheating is wrong, both by instruction and by experience, but if a child fears the consequences of not doing well on a test more than they fear the consequence of getting caught, they'll do it.

I think that's why I mentioned before that I doubt the legal consequences of kidnapping Lois are a high priority for Clark right now. He'd rather that Lois be well and safe than to avoid a jail sentence. He'd give up his job and his freedom to make sure his love gets better. His love and fears are the motivation, supported in part by his memories of what happened with Luthor.

Now -- back to the story. I still can't quite believe that you did it. Lois really did succeed in convincing Clark that she'd regained her memory and he couldn't resist a seduction by Lois Lane. She's in trouble now, though. Once bitten, twice shy -- Clark is never going to fall for a ruse like that again. He's going to put her through a grist mill of an interview before he believes her.

And yay! for Star. I can't wait to see what happens next.
BJ

R
Rac Offline
Columnist
Columnist
R
Ah, that was beautifully vicious. I must hand it to you, I started to think, during Clark's reminisces about the evening, that maybe something had occurred to Lois -- even if she didn't get her memory back, maybe she remembered *something* about her feelings for Clark. But no...

And that was the most interesting part. Rarely will writers in this fandom write either of these characters as conniving. Of course that leads to your philosophical question, and I'm happy to bite, especially since I don't think the primary purpose of fiction is to entertain, I think it's to explore the human condition.

To wit, does our past predict our future? Do our memories inform our actions? I think there's no question that who we are is largely a product of what we've done and what we've experienced. But what's left when the slate is wiped clean? What is there of personality that exists without conscious memory? I think there is some kernel of identity that precedes most of our life experiences - whether you're going to be outgoing or shy, lighthearted or serious is often apparent in infancy. But perhaps our experiences, good and bad, serve to constrain or amplify our natural impulses.

So does that mean Lois's natural impulses are to manipulate the feelings of others? Or is this brainwashing at work? Good for Clark for recognizing Lois's odd and repetitive speech patterns, so hopefully he'll figure it out. But that still doesn't tell us what -- if anything -- we can glean about who Lois is from this experience.

It's good to remember, too, that once empathy -- the ability to see things from someone else's point of view -- is really acquired around age six or seven, it is ingrained in the brain in the frontal lobe, separate from memory. Amnesiacs don't become sociopaths, but people who suffer frontal lobe damage, like the famous psychology patient, Phineas Gage, do. So unless Lois's brainwashing overrides it, she should develop some sense of guilt over what she's done to Clark (unless she can find a way to justify it because of Clark's kidnapping her). Because she seems to understand how much Clark loves her and seems to believe that they were, indeed, going to get married, she shouldn't be able to go through with this with a clear conscience. Again, Deter's evil brainwashing notwithstanding...

It'll be interesting to see where you go with this, ML. I'm looking forward to it!

Regards,

Rac

C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Argh.

Get back here.

You're evil!

I buy Lois' actions and even Clark's reactions etc. But YOURS on the other hand... wink

I didn't think you'd let them go that far. That she'd say something about 'remember our first time' etc and all that and he'd clue in then rather than after.

Wonder if Superman is going to run into Henderson again and if so what will transpire...

All I have to say is get back here wink .

E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
I found this to be very plausible. I'm not sure what you're asking about crossing the line. If you're asking if this crossed the line from PG-13 into R, then I would easily say 'no' since everything R-rated was off camera, so to speak. If you're asking if the story has crossed the line into what is or is not acceptable to this fandom then I would propose it depends on where you go from here.

I don't believe that Lois has lost her moral compass. She remembers two important things: 1) she's had sex with Clark before and 2) she has slept with a man she doesn't love before. Based on that preconception of who she is she has determined her actions to be moral, even though the end justifies her means. She also is manipulating herself, which Clark pointed out when he asked her how many times they had, had sex last night.

I'm wondering where Star's mores lie. What will she determine is best for Lois' wellbeing? Justice under the law? What her vibes tell her? Will she want to see Lois before she decides?

Elisabeth

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
As for how much our behaviour is influenced by our memories, I agree with those who say that our basic personality is what realy affects our behaviour. So if we lose our memories, but our basic personality is intact, then we will act according to our basic personality. I like the frontal lobe explanation. Or to put it differently, how our behaviour is affected depends on what parts of our brains are affected.

Lois most certainly isn't above cheating in order to get what she wants, so I don't think that her "Operation Fool Kent" is in any way against her basic personality. But I think it is glaringly obvious that, well, her body remembers her love for Clark, but her conscious mind doesn't. This was brilliantly put:

All she knew at the moment was the blood pounding in her veins - the thrill of a plan coming together, no doubt. After all, what else could be causing her heart to beat this quickly?
Yes, what else could make her heart beat this quickly? Maybe her body's realization that it will be allowed to do a most wonderfully delightful thing, namely seduce Clark. Lois's conscious mind is telling her that she should be doing this because it will be a great way to fool Clark to get her off the island. But her body is getting excited and hot because it really, really wants to make love to Clark (and it can't remember that the two of them have never made love before, and it can't remember why they decided to wait until they were married).

The heat she felt from the following kiss caught her by surprise. Electricity shot through her entire body, leaving him catching her when her legs gave out beneath her.

“Lois, are you okay?” Clark instantly asked.

Her finger went up to trace his lips as she responded. “Take me back to the cabin, Clark,” she said, surprised at how husky her voice sounded.
Oh, her body so desperately wants what her conscious mind is uninterested in.

I was very glad to see Clark see through the ruse concocted by Lois's conscious mind. But I was almost equally glad to see him see through the true motives of her body:

He was right. He knew he was. Deter had somehow put the idea that she loved him in her mind. But last night had been about more than convincing him that she remembered. It had been far too intense, far too passionate, and frankly, far too long a session of love-making for it to have been about nothing more than convincing him to get her off this island. And it hadn't been all him. She'd been as insatiable as he had. Her mind might not be willing to recognize her feelings for him, but her body most certainly had.
Exactly.

I was very glad to see Clark realize that Lois always repeated exactly the same phrase to say that she loved Deter and had no interest in Clark. Clearly these words are tied to a strong hypnotic command. Personally I find it hard to believe that it would be possible to brainwash Lois so thoroughly that she would give up her conscious love for Clark so completely and transfer it all to Deter so perfectly, when her body still remembers all the love it has for Clark. I once saw a documentary about a woman who was really and truly "in two minds" about the world around her, but then doctors had found it necessary to sever the connection between her two brain hemispheres. She really did have two minds and two ways of looking at the world, but Deter can't have performed major brain surgery on Lois to affect her in a similar way.

Anyway, this was a riveting, fantastic chapter! I love G-fic where Lois and Clark make love "off screen". laugh And there is no way that I can believe that Lois's mind can convince her body that it wants to go back to Metropolis to do with Deter what it just did with Clark. If Lois's brain hemispheres aren't well and truly separated, then I don't see how her mind can make her body run away from Clark into the waiting arms of Deter.

But you are going to bring Star into the story! Yes! That's a great idea!

Please post more soon!

Ann

F
Kerth
Kerth
F
I have deleted my comments.

Framework4
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Since Patrick deleted his comment - I will delete mine smile .

R
Rac Offline
Columnist
Columnist
R
Ah, philosophical discussions. I agree, Ann, that Lois isn't above cheating to get what she wants, but every time she's cheated someone who doesn't deserve it (take Season 1 Lois stealing Clark's story, for example), she feels bad about it. She jumps in without checking the water level, but when things go badly, she feels remorse. Lois may be tough, but I do believe the character is quite bighearted.

So is Operation Fool Kent out of character? It isn't given Lois has no memories. But can she maintain it, given what she is starting to remember about who Clark is? I don' t think so. I think even before she remembers what Clark meant to her, knowing that what he feels for her is real and knowing that she must have had strong feelings for him as well will cause her to feel bad about what she's done. Of course, this is assuming the brainwashing isn't so deep as to prevent her normal response from eventually kicking in.

I do take the point that Lois can't realize at this juncture, the level her manipulation has reached. She honestly believes that she and Clark have had sex before. She also somehow has gotten it into her head that she was the one making that over the top, flowery statement about sleeping with one man, while in love with another. At some point, she will either remember or have brought to her attention by Clark that they'd never slept together before--that they'd consciously decided to wait until their wedding. I'm not sure how she'll take that particular revelation, but again...the 'Lois' response would include remorse.

MLT Offline OP
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
Actually, Framework, I can see how you could make that argument. So I've gone back and made a couple changes that I think would protect him. As they are at the door of the bedroom, I am inserting the following:

“I could take you back to Metropolis. Maybe we should do that before...” he started, only to be cut off when she pulled his head down to claim his mouth, running her hands through his hair.

“Later,” she objected when she came up for air. “Much later.” With that, she kissed him again, her hands leaving his hair to wrap tightly around his neck.
Does that address your concerns?

EDIT TO ADD: I also added this to their discussion the following morning:

“And if you recall correctly, I offered to take you back to Metropolis before we even slept together. You were the one who insisted on not waiting.”
Oh, and you'll get more on her thinking at the time when she's taking her shower the next morning that I think might address any lingering concerns you might have.

ML wave

She was in such a good mood she let all the pedestrians in the crosswalk get to safety before taking off again.
- CC Aiken, The Late Great Lois Lane
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Wow! What they said. This was intense. More soon. Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
whew! I'm glad that clark wasn't so devastated from figuring out lois's scheme that he didn't start realizing what was really going on.... one step closer to solving the mystery!

Star! forgot abt. her!! smile it's gonna be fun! can't remember... was she around in the original series when lois was getting amnesia?

hmmm as for memories... I think it affects so subconsciously.... if we're wounded by past experiences, or have a positive experience, we carry it with us in our current situations, and influences how we interact.

I don't know about memories being mixed up, but I've had the experience of talking over a particular salient memory with a friend, and it's interesting how we remember it differently (each of us taking a particular snapshot)...

F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Originally posted by MLT:
Actually, Framework...Does that address your concerns?
MLT,

I have already deleted my comments. Please do not take my comment in to account in anyway.

Sorry to give offense.

Framework4
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Patrick's post was very intreresting, even though he has deleted it now. The question is, however, when is a rape a rape? People are going to disagree about that, because we have different standards. Maybe you know that rapes on a horrific scale are being committed in some war-ravaged parts of Africa. I heard an interview with a soldier from such a part of Africa, and he said that there are two kinds of rape: the "good" kind, where the soldier rapes the woman because he needs sexual gratification (so that he rapes her for his own pleasure); and the "bad" kind of rape, where the soldier rapes the woman in order to hurt or deman her, so that he rapes her to cause her pain. Well, I think most people in the west wouldn't consider it a "good" kind of rape if the man rapes the woman just because he needs sex right then. But what is rape, then, to most people in the west?

Frankly I think people in the west don't generally agree about what exactly rape really is, but we probably agree that if the two people sharing a sex act are consenting adults, then it is probably not rape. But things get more complicated when we consider that one of the persons having sex may not be able to make a good, well-considered choice, and if the other person knows and takes advantage of this fact, then it may be rape after all. I seem to remember a case in Sweden where a psychologist lost his right to practice psychology as a profession, because he had taken advantage of female patients. The women were vulnerable and turned to the psychologist to find help and healing, and when they became attracted to him he encouraged them to have sex with him. The court didn't consider it rape, but it did say it was malpractice, and the psychologist lost his licence to practice his profession.

What about Clark's behaviour on the island where he has taken Lois? First, I don't think we can really use the legislation of today to judge Clark, because his crime (his kidnapping of Lois) was a reaction to a futuristic sci-fi crime, Deter's complete and utter manipulation of Lois's mind and free will. You can't judge Clark without considering his acts as a reaction to Deter's crime, but the legislation of today wouldn't know how to properly deal with such a futuristic sci-fi mind control.

It is of course possible that Deter was able to take control of Lois's mind because she is a woman who loves nothing better than to be manipulated by a powerful man. If so, then Deter's determination to hypnotize and control her may in itself be enough to make her love him and prefer him over Clark. After all, Clark has always allowed her to make her own choices, but she may prefer to have her choices taken away from her by a strong man.

Of course, that is not how I want to see Lois.

The alternative, if Lois really and truly loves Clark, and Deter has managed to control her so completely that she has totally rejected her love for her fiance and transferred it to Deter against Lois's natural will, suggests to me that Deter's ability to control and subjugate other people is quite horribly effective. Please note that in spite of her total rejection of Clark and her insistence that she loves only Deter, Lois is quite well-functioning in other ways. She is determined, smart and unconcerned by her amnesia, since she completely trusts "Max" to cure it. She accepts that she has been engaged to Clark, but she is utterly uninterested in why she wanted to share her life with him. She is thinking and planning like she normally does. In fact she is very much her normal self, except that she has been completely robbed of her natural love for Clark, and she has been forced to love Deter instead.

As I said, there are only two possible explanations for Lois's behaviour. Either she is a very weak woman who doesn't love Clark for himself, but only loves his super strength and his ability to control her if he wants to. But since he doesn't want to force her to do things against her will, she loves a man who does take away her ability to make her own choices.

The other possibility is that Deter has found a way to control people that is so effective that he might be able to take over Metropolis and possibly the world. There have been stories where Clark suffered from amnesia. Suppose that Clark lost his memory and his powers at the same time, and suppose he was brought to Deter for treatment. And suppose that Deter told him that "he loves only Max". I don't mean this in an erotic sense, but what if Deter was planting the suggestion that Clark loved nothing better than carrying out Deter's will? What if Superman became Deter's slave, insisting on always obeying his master's voice?

You may object that Clark would never be enslaved like that, because unlike Lois he can't be manipulated. And that is possible. But if so, that means that Lois can be manipulated and made to do things that she would normally rebel against. But if she isn't this wishy-washy kind of person, then Deter's manipulation must be super-strong.

I think that Clark didn't rape Lois on that island not only because Lois was a consenting adult, but because her body was the part of her that was really and truly "in its right mind", and her body desperately wanted to make love to Clark. I think her body "remembered" Clark, too. Her body knew that it loved him and her body knew that it had been engaged to him because it loved him. Her body was in its right mind. We can argue that Clark should have resisted her seduction of him, because he should have suspected that her mind "was not in its right mind". Well, he wasn't able to do that. He reacted to the honesty of her body and to his own intense longing. And he chose to believe, rather naïvely, that Lois had become herself again. That was stupid of him, but he didn't rape Lois. At least not in my book, the way I define rape.

Ann

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
You are going to think that I am crazy, but I am going to talk about sense of smell.

Humans do not realize how much our actions are affected by smells. Smells can bring back memories, and smells can control our hormones in many ways. (I won't go into detail on one of the examples because you would all say Ewwwwww!)

Smell plays a part in sex. I don't know how it meshes in with pheromones, but you often hear widows comment that they have kept their husband's possessions around because they can still smell his scent. (Lois has probably done that in a couple of NK-themed fanfics.) We are also biological creatures, who react to conditioning. So being close to your lover/spouse and smelling them, even unconsciously, can trigger arousal.

So it would be reasonable that Lois, being close enough to Clark to smell his body, would react by being aroused. There is also probably some unconscious conditioning having to do with the sight of him too. After all, she is not going to fall into bed with every good-looking man she sees. But she believes they have already been lovers and she has gotten the visual and olfactory (smell) triggers that have brought her to arousal in the past (even if she did not complete sex in the past). As some previous posters said, her body remembers him.

Also, Lois, without her memories of Clark, does have other memories of the past. And her memories of past relationships fall into the category of "men only want one thing." So she assumes Clark is the same as the others, and would not realize how deceiving him into sex would hurt him.

So I don't see this Lois as any more conniving than normal Lois, the Lois who sees nothing wrong with using her lockpicks whenever possible.

I also don't see Clark at fault, because at the time they have sex, he DOES believe that her memories of their relationship and her love for him have returned.

On your original question, ML, a couple of other posters have already posted my opinion. Our memories shape us but they do not change who we fundamentally are.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard