Print Thread
rivka Offline OP
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
And I haven't heard it in years!

Great fic, Lynn! thumbsup

Started off great. Of course Lois wouldn't want to give up her miles! clap

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Aw that was so cute. I also like that song<g. Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Lynn,

Can ANYBODY hear that song and NOT belt it out?!

Adorable--I loved it!! twins

-Wanda

"He's a man. I'm a woman. Do you want me to draw you a diagram?" -Lois Lane, I've Got a Crush on You.
Blogger
Blogger
That was wonderful--funny and very sweet!

And I'm going to be humming that song all night!

Y
Top Banana
Top Banana
Y
Cute story, Lynn! Am I the only one that has no idea what song that was, though blush . It was still a really cute story, though laugh

- Laura smile

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
rivka Offline OP
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
Top Banana
Top Banana
I think this URL will let you hear a portion of the song - to help refresh your memory. At least, when I copy and paste it into my web browser, it launches on my Real Player and let's me hear about 44 seconds worth of it.

<http://www.wedalert.com/songs/realaudiosongs/Other/Wedding Bell Blues - Fifth Dimension.rm>

Be careful - I don't want to upset anyone by breaking any copyright laws, so don't download. wink

Thanks,
Lynn

You know that boy'd walk on water for you? Or he'd drown tryin'. -Perry White to Lois in Just Say Noah
Merriwether
Merriwether
Lynn, that was a wonderful story.

I have a soft spot for fics that let them date for awhile after she finds out, like "normal people" would, without the frenetic pace of their courtship on the show, and this fit the bill very nicely. I love to think of them doing normal, everyday things together, like visiting their families for the holidays and taking a road trip in the car.

And I know exactly what you mean about the privacy of the car lending a feeling of intimacy ... that's one of the things I most look forward to on long car trips with my husband, that time when the kids drop off to sleep (or even better, if they aren't with us at all -- ah, that rare vacation alone!) and we can just *talk*.

You did a great job with the proposal ... it was fun and sweet, but also very romantic. And he already had a ring! That's my boy! smile1

The whole thing was just lovely ... thanks for sharing it with us!

Oh, and I like that song, too. smile

Kathy

G
Columnist
Columnist
G
Lovely Lynn
Dialogue flowed so smoothly that I thought I was in the car with them.

And what a great way to propose. thumbsup

gerry

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Fabulous story! The bathroom comments at the beginning had me immediately hooked and laughing. I, too, am a fan of seeing them do a few "normal" things together after Lois finds out the secret.

Great job thumbsup
Jen

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Top Banana
Top Banana
Lynn,

I love that song (one of those great songs you absolutely cannnot listen to without singing along!), and I love this story.

Thank you for starting my day so nicely!

- Vicki

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Lynn

This is great. smile1

Tricia cool

Top Banana
Top Banana
Lovely story smile

Generally, I'm not a fan of song lyrics being used in stories - don't like being asked to wade through lines and lines of dubious poetry which tend to sound a bit twee in isolation. However, this was very minimal and worked beautifully - let's face it, anything to get that stupid boy to propose to her is a good thing. laugh

Yvonne

Kerth
Kerth
Cute and Waffy drool

Jose wave

"Practice up your shielding spells...and remember to duck if you see green light coming your way."

Harry Potter to Wizengamot in OotP trial

A Bad Week in the Wizengamot
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Beautiful, Lynn and a lovely way to spend some of a rainy afternoon. thumbsup

Like Yvonne, I'm not a fan of song fic in general - so I was a little tentative going in to this one from your foreword <g>.

But this was precisely how a song fic should be. The lyrics were important but didn't intrude on the story and were used sparingly and with great effect. Excellent!

clap

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Top Banana
Top Banana
lynn,

I want to weigh-in here as someone who doesn't generally care for songfic - didn't know it had a name. And who didn't know the song- where have I been?

Wonderful.

Maybe I do care for songfic? Maybe I am a closet songfic lover and just hadn't realized it. Or maybe this was so well written, and I enjoyed the feeling that I was in the backseat eavesdropping.

Either way, this was a great thing to find here this a.m.

CC

You mean we're supposed to have lives?

Oh crap!

~Tank
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

Beautiful story. thumbsup

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
Top Banana
Top Banana
I've always despised the song, but I loved the story. clap

Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
Lynn,

A waffy scene can only hook a reader if it encompasses all the basic elements of a thoughtful piece of fluff:
1)Grin-enducing dialogue
2)Sweet, descriptive gestures
3)Two, or more characters we know and love
4)A writer with a unique perspective on things. and lastly...
5)A demonstration of affection that leaves no doubt to the characters' intentions.

You, naturally, have embodied every bit of these guidelines with this latest vignette, and it is with no negative comments, or concerns that I praise you for your accomplishment. Lois and Clark are unique to write for, as they have very static personalities a lot of the time. Lois, we know, is full of ranting-energy, but also is capable of vulnerability when it suits one. Clark is... well, Clark. 'nough said. And while you have certainly presented them in their recognizable identities, you have shown us the intimacy carried between the two in a simplistic, yet beautiful fashion. I'm probably babbling on by now, but I hope what I've written comes out saying what I wish it to, and that I haven't worded anything to suggest that I think you any less than an amazing writer.

Reader's digest version of the above:
This story is fantastic! blush

-Jo

Features Writer
Features Writer
Lynn
beautiful story
merry

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard