OP Offline
Top Banana
Is everybody happy now? Queenie, is this what you had in mind? laugh

Next Part hopefully Wednesday.

This *is* my happily ever after.
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Hello HappyGirl,

I have followed your story since the first parts and it's amazing ! I love it !
This Clark is different but I like the way he acts and how he feels about his character "writer Clark Kent" and the superhero Superman ! He has some difficulties to become again, just Clark ! He is more self-confident but at the same time, he has some insecurities because of his origins.
The relationship which has begun between Lois & "Caleb" is fascinating !

I am not good to write feedbacks, so more clearly, I am eager to read the next parts !
Thank you for this original "pilot".

Have a nice week.

Friendly, Annalina.

Columnist
Columnist
Hi,

This part is certainly lovely. wink

You certainly caught me out at the beginning of this part. I too thought that Lois had discovered his other identity. Well done! laugh

I understand what Clark/Superman is meaning by not telling Lois his name, and very glad that Lois also understands.

I hope he doesn't keep her in the dark too long, though. Somehow I feel Lois might lose patience.

Of course, she might discover who he really is by herself. I hope she believes in the person she has been privileged to meet and not his reputation.

But I'm enjoying this story and very happy to go where you lead us.

Yours Jenni

Merriwether
Merriwether
Well, I can certainly handle a MWF posting schedule. smile

LOL, I knew you wouldn't let her figure out his real name that easily. I've clearly been reading and writing fanfic too long that I saw that one coming. goofy How ironic that we could be turning Lois's argument with Dan against her in this story, LOL. Depending on how much time he's spending as Superman vs how much time Clark Kent is putting in on his current book tour, there will eventually be a big part of his life that he's keeping from her. Hopefully his drive to be honest will help him find his way through that quagmire. smile

And I like that Lois has named him yet again in this story. Ten bucks says that "Caleb Knight" will end up as the name of the hero in his next book ... only this time, definitely as a good guy! thumbsup

Nicely done all around, HG. I'm eagerly waiting for Wednesday for more of this story. dance

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Ooh, great part, we got some smoochies - yay!! wink

The slant you have put on L&C in this fic is really, really clever. I know I've said this before, but I keep noticing different aspects to it.

On the face of it, because of L&C and the beauty of the canon 'love triangle for two', I wouldn't expect to like a story where Lois falls for Superman and he reciprocates. Where your fic is so clever is that this is ok, because although he is Superman, you've found a way for Lois to prove she sees more of him than just that. She is now helping him to find a normal alter ego - love it!!

Of course, Caleb Knight (clever name!) is Clark Kent really, but 'Clark Kent' isn't the real Clark Kent, Caleb Knight is!! - that kind of makes sense, I think. Only in the context of this fic!

Now Clark (or Caleb) has been straight with Lois that he has another name/identity, so she can't be mad when she finds out it's Clark Kent now can she?!! laugh He's trying hard not to lie.

People see what they expect to see. So that explains how we could have spent a couple of hours together this morning, and me still not recognize you when you turned up dressed completely differently tonight.” She smiled at her own epiphany.
And that sums up the basis of L&C. Only part-epiphany Lois! So close yet so far.

“Well, I didn’t think that you normally walked about with your hair plastered to your skull, if that’s what you mean,” she replied.
rotflol

“Because you were Superman’s first friend.” He reached up with his free hand and gently tucked her hair behind her left ear. “Because you saw right away that he wasn’t me.”
This is the important part, that she gave it enough thought, gave him enough thought, rather than just taking the celebrity/godlike personna at face value.

“I wasn’t kidding; I really don’t need you to tell me your real name yet. But I do need something to call you besides Superman or Hey Handsome.”
laugh

“Hmmm….,” she contemplated. “I think we should name you after Clark Kent. He is the master of the secret identity, you know.”

“You’re going to call me Clark?” he squeaked.

“No, that could get confusing. What if we wanted to go somewhere public? I couldn’t go around introducing you to my friends as Clark Kent. You’d never hear the end of it.”
lol Not Clark Kent, heaven forbid!! They'd never believe it!

Charlie had fallen in with some gun-runners in the Congo and gotten to know some very nasty people. In the process, he’d learned a few things about Metropolis’s favorite son, but he’d been forced out before he had anything tangible. One of these days, though…
Ooh, so that's where he got the 'heads up' about Lex before he came to town. He needs to let on to Lois, but I guess he can't at the moment.

“Okay, then. And, since you don’t want to be the King, you can by my Knight in shining armor. Or spandex, as the case may be.”
Hee, hee! 'Superman, the night in shining spandex' - could catch on!

“Oh? And how do you propose to do that?” Clar..Caleb asked, his smile mirroring hers.
That's the only trouble, if he gets confused and forgets his name!!

After that, there was no need for names, or other words for that matter, for a very long time.
wink

Looking forward to the next part of Lois & Caleb/Clark: the New Adventures of Superman!

Em

"There's a fine line between brilliance and lunacy" - CK to LL(Madame Ex)
Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
Originally posted by HappyGirl:
Is everybody happy now? Queenie, is this what you had in mind? laugh
Hap, this was absolutely EXQUISITE!!! drool

The kissing...so steamy...! drool (Dangit, I promised myself I'd use more actual *words* this time, but I can't seem to find very many.)

Anyway, this was fantastic! dance

All I know now is that the guy with my name is no more me than Superman is. For one thing, he can’t fly, and I can.
This. I like this.

Hap, this is, like, everything a Lois/Superman fic should be! She gets the whole package, no lies. She doesn't know his name (ah the mystique!), but she knows who he is and what he can do. This...I squeed muchly over this part.

And the kissing...did I mention the kissing? blush

After that, there was no need for names, or other words for that matter, for a very long time.
And Hubba-Wha, did they--? are they--? on the first--? Nah, must be my naughty imagination. blush
(I will not demand an nfic version...I will not demand an nfic version...I will not demand an nfic version....)

Hap, thank you so much for writing this!! sloppy

Can I have more now? grovel

~•~
A
Columnist
Columnist
A
What a fabulous part! I'm just thinking that Clark better not encounter her in his "Clark Kent" persona anymore if Lois really has taken this looking-beyond-the-surface stuff to heart.

Can't wait for Wednesday!

Amber

Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
clap She likes it! clap I'm so glad. We've worked hard to get these two together, now we're going to have some fun with them. And, no, they didn't...not on the first...get your mind out of the gutter, young lady!

Amber, Yeah, Clark Kent had better not let Lois anywhere near him until he's ready to come clean. Even with her usual facial recognition deficiency, that might be a bridge too far. eek

Part 10 coming up.

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
A random thought to start with: I it just my imagination, or do Clark Kent novels NOT have the traditional author's picture somewhere on cover? Otherwise, they would a) cause undercover troubles and b) Lois, sitting there, looking at a Clark Kent picture just before Superman shows up laugh

On with FDK...

“Clark Kent,” she repeated casually, for all the world as if she had not just discovered his biggest secret, “You know, the writer ?”
/wipes brow/

“Hmm…I’ll have to think about that one. For now, why don’t you just open your window, or go up to the roof if you’re at work, and call for me? If I’m anywhere in Metropolis, I’ll hear you.”
laugh

“I’m sorry,” he said. “I’m boring you. I’m afraid I’m a bit of a trivia nut.”
Aww, that's okay, Happy. It was pretty interesting blush

“Yet you didn’t let it get to you. That’s unusual for a novice.”

“I never said I was a novice.”
Imagine a cartoon character here, holding a big, flashing neon sigh, reading Clark Kent, right over his head.

“Good point.” Lois took a bite of green beans with red peppers while she thought it over. “I guess there’s no reason I can’t start off getting to know the superpowered side of you just as easily as the other side. As long as we’re agreed that it’s just for now. And you can’t expect me not to be curious. I can’t just turn that off.”
*g* And the writer side might be pretty interesting, too. Especially, since she's starting to become a Clark Kent buff wink

“You’ve never been to Mardi Gras, have you?” Lois asked in an obvious attempt to break the tension and lighten the mood.

“As a matter of fact, I have,” he laughed. “Point taken.”
clap

“I’m nothing but trouble in that department,” she parried half-heartedly.

“Forewarned is forearmed; I’ll take my chances,” he insisted, his mouth stretching into a wide smile.
Awww and laugh

“Hmmm….,” she contemplated. “I think we should name you after Clark Kent. He is the master of the secret identity, you know.”

“You’re going to call me Clark?” he squeaked.
Interesting. Wonder how long it's going to take for Lois to think of them in the same thought.

What about Jerome? Or John Clark?

Lois gave a little chuckle, then went back to her pondering. “How about Charlie King?” she asked.
Right.

“How do you feel about Caleb?” she asked at length.
Caleb? Interesting choice. I think that's the time (and the third fiction) I heard it used.

Sounds innocent enough. Just some tonsil hockey. Nothing to see. Move along.

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
If you're thinking Kal-El (and we are even if they aren't because they haven't even heard that name yet), then the natural alternatives are Calvin or Caleb. Caleb is actually a popular name in some American circles these days. Biblical names for boys are making a comeback.

BTW, I knew someone who used to work summers waiting tables at a church-owned campground. She said you could always tell the week that the missionaries had their conference because the moms would yell to call the kids for dinner: Rachel! Sarah! Rebecca! Abigail! Nehemiah! Micah! Daniel! You get the idea.

For the unitiated, Caleb and Joshua were the only two of their generation who were allowed to enter the promised land. The Isrealites had to wander around the wilderness for forty years until everyone else over the age of twenty (at the beginning=sixty at the end) died out. And, just for the record, whereas Joshua is the Hebrew form of Jesus (which is the Greek form) and means The LORD Saves, Caleb means....wait for it.....Dog.

P.S. And while we're on the subject of Biblical names, yours (which is also mine, Michelle) means Who Is Like God? It's a rhetorical question. wink

And yes, Clark's picture is on the book jacket, and all over the place, but, since this is the same world in which no one connects Superman with half of The Hottest Team in Town, I maintain that the entire population of this world suffers from some kind of facial recognition deficiency. huh

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yeah, Clark Kent had better not let Lois anywhere near him until he's ready to come clean. Even with her usual facial recognition deficiency, that might be a bridge too far.
"Facial recognition deficiency" - /me falls over laughing/ - great terminology!

By the way, do you think you could work that term into the fic somehow?

Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
I don't know, Iolanthe, wouldn't that be breaking the fourth wall? I mean, if they all suffer from it, then they don't realize that people in *other* universes can actually recognize people even with different clothes and hairstyles. :rolleyes:

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I mean, if they all suffer from it, then they don't realize that people in *other* universes can actually recognize people even with different clothes and hairstyles.
You know, that's a really good comment. I was laughing about the whole thing, and then you said that, and I was like, "You know, Happy's got a point there!"

Now I'm into deep (as deep as I can get, because as I've said before, deep down I'm shallow) philosophizing about what is perception and what is reality, and is the image of a thing the same as the thing itself, and are there true forms of objects like the Plato's Cave analogy and what we have here on Earth is only a shadow of the true, ideal form....and I'm babbling. It's late at night and I've got to go to bed.

But I won't be able to sleep because I'm thinking about your comment. wink

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Good point on Kal-El/Caleb. And interesting trivia.

On a different note: The problem with facial recognition is an actual medical condition: Prosopagnosia
from Wikipedia
Prosopagnosia (sometimes known as face blindness) is a disorder of face perception where the ability to recognize faces is impaired, while the ability to recognize other objects may be relatively intact.
Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
And there's an entire universe of people suffering from it! eek

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I was sort of thinking the same thing because I had read the book by Oliver Sacks (neurologist.) I forget which book of his it was that had the prosopoagnosia in it. I think it was "The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat".

He had another section about patients who had an injury to the part of the brain where visual information is processed. That part was destroyed. So:
1) the people couldn't see anymore (the eyes worked fine, but the connection was broken);
2) the people lost all memory of seeing and all memories that were visual in nature
3) the patients were unable to actually conceive of the idea of seeing.

So when you said that the people in that universe all had a facial recognition deficiency, and they didn't realize it, I was thinking it was something like the above. They are incapable of even imagining that they have a facial recognition deficiency.

Kerth
Kerth
I know I'm *really* behind on all my reading, but I've been wanting to catch up with this story since it first appeared.

Anyway, over two nights, I've got to Part 9 and wanted to tell you that I'm reading (albeit belatedly) and really enjoying it.

There were some LOL bits - too many in 9 parts to quote, but I particularly loved your take on the 'don't fall for me,' line. Wonderful!

Having Lana as a friend and support is a change that works really well. Marrying her off is a masterstroke - now she can't possibly be competition for Lois.

Both Lois and Clark/Superman/Caleb are in character, yet you've managed to draw out other little nuances that deepen them as characters.

I will definitely keep reading, but I quite enjoy taking my time as it gives me a chance to think about the story between parts.

Corrina.

Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Corrina! wave

I'm so glad you're along for the ride. It's good to hear that the story works in large chunks. Since I write and post it in parts, I sometimes worry that the parts will be disjointed. We want it to meld together into a coherent whole as well as having each part be enjoyable on its own.

I have a lot of respect (which I try not to let devolve into envy blush ) for your writing talent, so I'll be looking for your feedback. smile

L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
She smiled at her own epiphany .
I had suspected her epiphany wouldn't be *the* epiphany, but part of my had hoped to be proven wrong.

“the next time you need a tip from Bobby, you let me know.
And just how is she supposed to do that? Lean out the window and yell, "Help, Superman! I need pasta!"? smile1

Joy,
Lynn

Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Hi Lynn!

Help, Superman! I need pasta!

You crack me up. laugh

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard