Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#66529 10/02/09 01:39 PM
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
I'll post the rest of this part as soon as I can - Tuesday or Wednesday if possible.

I'll put it in the same thread and change the title to 'Awaken My Heart (16/?) so you'll know the rest has been added.

Thanks for your wonderful enthusiasm for my fic.

Corrina.

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
What a beautiful scene! Being able to communicate without the artificial voices of the translators. And Kal loves her! Of course we knew that already!

Just a comment: Seems to me Kal picked up English quite well for someone who supposedly had never heard it before..... Could this be because he has been on Earth at some point?!?! laugh

Perry: (To Lois) Honey, this could be greatest story since Superman came to town. By-the-by, where is that husband of yours?
--Faster Than a Speeding Vixon
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Aww, that's so sweet. I must admit, that's not what I thought Kal wanted to "try" with Lois at the end of Part 15. (/me slaps mind for living in the gutter) But I figure that was your intention.
More soon!
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Aw that was so sweet! He understood more then I thought he would. Nice. Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
Top Banana
Top Banana
This really is sweet. It's just so [Linked Image] love

Kal did pick up the language awfully quickly. Could there be some telepathy going on with someone's soulmate?

Then again, I believe it is canon that Clark was exceptionally skilled in picking up languages. So, the idea that as Kal he could pick up Lois's language should not need any "magic" explanation.

Bob

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
That was just a lovely chapter! Okay, that was the second time you made us think that sex was going to be "inserted" into their relationship just like that. The first time was when you ended a chapter by having Lois say to Kal, "Come to bed with me and I'll show you something", and we all had those incredible gutter-images in our minds. But Lois just gave Kal a neck- and shoulders massage. And now you made us think that Kal was talking about that diagram of lovemaking when he said to Lois that they should try something together. You tease, you! razz clap clap

It was adorable and so appropriate that Kal wanted to turn off their translators so that he and Lois could learn each other's languages. Indeed, if Lois is going to stay on New Krypton, it would be downright wrong of her not to try to learn the Kryptonian language. (And she wants to learn to write in Kryptonian too, I might add.)

I agree that Kal was an extremely quick learner. He seemed to understand the word "unusual" just like that, even though that adjective could have meant pretty much anything. But I think that Kal and Lois have such a rapport and can read each other so well that they understand each other without words, and that way they can read the proper meaning into each other's foreign words.

The whole scene, when Kal was learning English from Lois, was just adorable. I loved how Kal said "kiss", and then he proceeded to kiss Lois, and he was the one who was in control of the kiss.

Ann

Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Thanks everyone ... so glad you liked this scene.

Ann - the first tease was somewhat unintentional - when I edit it I'll probably change Lois's line to 'Come over here and I'll show you,' thereby leaving out the reference to the bed.

The second one however was certainly deliberate and meant to be suggestive. laugh

Just one point re Kal picking up the language - he has been watching her *very* closely, he has great motivation and he's already learnt some of the sounds when he said words that had no Kryptonian equivalent, such as love.

Thanks to everyone for their FDK

Corrina.

Top Banana
Top Banana
Corrina,

Thanks so much for posting one last time before leaving for Canada.

I loved this chapter! I have been especially intrigued by the entire language/culture problem, and especially by the translator concept. This, because I've lived the past 30 years in a country with a culture and a language different from my own. Luckily, my husband does speak English, although it's not his first language, and I speak Spanish as a second language. Still, you'd be surprized at how much gets lost in the translation. How often I have wished there were such a thing as your translator-gizmo!

I loved the part where Lois heard Kal's voice for the first time. Even after all these years, I still find my husband's soft, deep voice incredibly appealing and, well, sexy. I'm glad Lois was equally taken by Kal's voice:

Her name on his lips was like honey being poured through her heart.
Awwww.... sweet.

Enjoy your trip! hyper

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Gasp! You're leaving us now? With all this unresolved? (just kidding)
Enjoy your trip to family and Canada!
neighborly
Artemis

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
WOW, WOW, WOW! Thank you for treating us to such a wonderful L&K chapter (or part chapter) before you went away. clap Once again.

Emma

"There's a fine line between brilliance and lunacy" - CK to LL(Madame Ex)
Top Banana
Top Banana
Ann said:

It was adorable and so appropriate that Kal wanted to turn off their translators so that he and Lois could learn each other's languages. Indeed, if Lois is going to stay on New Krypton, it would be downright wrong of her not to try to learn the Kryptonian language.
Emma said:

The Translator is so vital for her which is, of course, why it is such a good idea as she is apparently staying on New Krypton to learn to manage without it.
I'm thinking just the opposite. If Kal is going to go to Earth, he needs to know English.

Lois has made absolutely no progress whatsoever in learning Kryptonian. When Kal turned off his translator, Lois heard only guttural sounds. To her, Kryptonian doesn't even sound like a language; she doesn't hear words, she hears what sounds like the bark of a dog.

Kal stood and again offered her his hand. He led her through the room, pointing at different things as Lois gave him the names and he repeated them.
Lois isn't learning Kryptonian; Kal is learning English. Which gives me hope that maybe, just maybe, they'll make it back to Earth. smile1

I really do hope they go back to Earth. I was just re-reading the section where Jib and Lois talk about the rules on New Krypton concerning who gets first dibs on concubines razz , and I've got to tell you - I don't much like New Krypton.

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Vicki said:

Lois has made absolutely no progress whatsoever in learning Kryptonian. When Kal turned off his translator, Lois heard only guttural sounds. To her, Kryptonian doesn't even sound like a language; she doesn't hear words, she hears what sounds like the bark of a dog.
If I may be so bold...

People all over the world learn English. People who speak English as their first language often don't make that much of an effort to learn other languages.

Lois is a native English-speaker. Maybe, deep down and on a subconscious level, she feels that she shouldn't be obliged to learn Kryptonian, but the NKers should learn English instead. And indeed, Kal is learning English.

I agree with Vicki. I would indeed prefer that Lois and Kal go to Earth rather than that they stay on New Krypton. On the other hand, I don't doubt that Lois will give Kal such an inspiration that they can give New Krypton an extreme makeover and turn it into a much, much better place than it is now.

Ann

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
So... let's see smile

“What?” she attempted to say, except it wasn’t actually possible to summon enough air to vibrate her vocal cords.
/hears drums announcing the big revelation/

I’d like both of us to turn off our Translators,” Kal said. “I want you to talk to me. I want to see how much I can underst-.”
Wait? What now?

“I haven’t,” Kal admitted. His fingers dived into the dark hair above his left ear, hesitated for a moment, then dropped. He opened his mouth and spoke in the guttural sounds she remembered from before they had inserted her translator.
Now Kal certainly didn’t score any brownie points with that action. Actually, the only thing he could have done worse was switching off Lois’ translator instead.

She didn’t have – didn’t *want* to have – the willpower to back away. What she *wanted* to do was reach up, find his mouth and allow her instincts the freedom of expression they were demanding.
Is it possible you’re pulling a double-flip on us?

Then she remembered the diagram.

Kissing him now - particularly kissing him the way she wanted to ... she couldn’t do that unless she was prepared to go much further than kissing.

And she was.
Hmm…

But she wasn’t sure now was the right time.

And what she had with Kal was too good ... too perfect ... to risk just because her hormones had gone into meltdown over one superbly-honed male body.
Yeah, would be a really bad idea. Yeah.

Kal caressed his fingers along her smile. “Love,” he said experimentally.
Awwwwwww

Suddenly, Lois realised that *he* was kissing her. Until now, she had determined the timing and the depth and the intensity of their kisses.

But she was definitely not in control now.

*Kal* was kissing her.
Hmm… Did he read the book after all? Nah.

Kal broke away from her and picked up a pile of paper and a pencil from the desk, then offered Lois his hand. She took it and he led her to the bed and gestured for her to sit down. He pulled the chair closer and sat down, his knees butted against the bed, his thighs adjacent to hers.
Not sure when exactly, but something in there, I wondered if their first time would be with translators off and communication just carried on to the next level.

“I love you in your language,” Kal said. “And I love you in my language too.”

Lois felt her heart flood with joy. Her translator still worked. But more wondrous ... infinitely more wondrous ... Kal loved her.
Awwwwwww and we so need a puddle-of-goo smiley.

You know, Corrina, this part reminded me again, that you post parts that are at least twice as long as what’s usual in this part of the Net. And I have no idea how you do it clap

Michael, hoping you’re having a great trip smile

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
You're quite right Vicki, Lois hasn't learned a word of Kryptonian yet has she! I'm pretty sure she will though. It's not like Lois to let it be all one way with Kal learning her language but her not learning his.

As for them going to earth, I've had a feeling they might end up doing all the way through. It seems so sad with Lois having family and friends left there. Kal doesn't really have anyone except for her. Someone would need to rule New Krypton, though maybe Za will be able to with Ching. Either way, whether they stay or go, I'm sure they will first make New Krypton a much better place.

I have a feeling the answer to a lot of this will lie in the secret but I could be so completely on the wrong track. I still haven't a clue what the secret could be! It's getting closer to being revealed!! hyper

"There's a fine line between brilliance and lunacy" - CK to LL(Madame Ex)
Top Banana
Top Banana
Yeah, what they said. I don't have any particular insights to add. Just wanted to chime in with the 'this is brilliant' chorus.

thumbsup thumbsup

This *is* my happily ever after.
Top Banana
Top Banana
Emma,

I totally agree. Who would Kal miss if he left? Probably Tek, but that's about it. Lois, on the other hand, misses her parents, her sister, Perry, and Jimmy, and who knows who else. Plus, I prefer our awe-inspiring planet to their cold, bleak, rainless, red-tinged world. Finally, and here I admit to being just a tad biased, but I definitely prefer American culture to that of New Krypton. (I actually prefer quite a few Earth cultures to that of New Krypton, but in this story the only two possiblities for where they might end up seem to be New Troy or New Krypton.)

Corrina,

I'm not sure if you will even get a chance to come online, but on the off chance you do, let me say I hope you are enjoying your vacation so far, and that you aren't *too* jetlagged! Here's a hint for you: if it's daytime and your body absolutely insists that it needs sleep, instead of napping inside, take a chair out on the porch and nap in the sun. Just pretend you are Superman, recovering from a bout of Kryptonite. wink The more sun you get during the day, the quicker your body will adjust. smile

Merriwether
Merriwether
Crazy busy-ness caused me to catch up on 14, 15 and 16a tonight. Given that it's past midnight, I was tempted to just sigh in private happiness and skip leaving feedback until tomorrow, but a glance at my schedule for the next few days made me realize I should do it now -- the last thing this story deserves is for me to get too busy to tell you how wonderful these last few chapters have been.

Chapter 14 was sad, but it was a conversation that absolutely needed to happen and it ended on a hopeful note. Chapter 15 was fabulous -- we learned so much about NK and Ard (I'm even more convinced Tek is good!), and I adored Riz. Someone posted in their feedback that she was like NK's version of Lois, and I love that description. But beyond that, I think she's something else very special -- Lois's first real friend, aside from Kal. Tek and Jib and Mo are all warming to her, but I think she's just connected with Riz and that connection will make them both happy. After all, no matter what planet you live on, we girls need our BFFs to talk to. goofy

As for the end of Chapter 15 -- I LOL'ed at the cliffhanger because I thought it was going to be something bad and here it turned out to be something fun -- and the beginning of Chapter 16, I just want to say how much I appreciate the tone of this story. There have been a few dark parts, no question, but overall, the tone of the story has been fresh and exciting and fascinating and thought-provoking. I'm sure we'll eventually hit some significant angst -- I don't trust Nor as far as I can throw him! -- but I also trust that you will resolve it wonderfully.

I hope you are enjoying your trip to see your daughter, and are able to log on to see your feedback. You deserve every bit of it. smile

Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Hi guys.

Thanks for all the wonderful FDK!!

I really appreciate it.

I'm in NYC having met my daughter here last night. Now son, daughter and self are spending a week journeying to Montreal where my daughter lives.

Funny moment - for me anyway - receptionist on phone to daughter who had already arrived at hotel - 'Your mom's in the lobby.' I've never been referred to as a mom before.
smile1

I'll post more fic as soon as I can

Corrina

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hope you have a good time with the family. This made me curious:
I've never been referred to as a mom before.
What do they call you? I can see why the receptionist said that. That's what we're all called.
cool
Artemis

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
In Australia they would call you a Mum, right?

Ann

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard