OP Offline
Kerth
Feedback here.

Many thanks

BJ Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Ha! First!

OK, I'll probably do this better tomorrow after I've had a little sleep, but my first impression is that Ching and Nor are tossing the 'sample' into the first bin they can find. Neither of them want Kal and ZaRa to have an heir - Ching because of his jealousy for ZaRa and Nor because of his power-hungry scheme to take over the world.

Lois is already suspicious of Nor (Yay!), so it shouldn't take long for her to figure out the lack of an heir is not due to Kal's "bad seed".

It was a sad scene. We knew it was coming, but it was still difficult to read. Kal asked seven times, when he probably hasn't even needed to ask for anything more than once his whole life. He just couldn't understand why Lois wouldn't agree.

I love it that this experience has made them both determined to move forward. Kal is going to investigate the law and Lois is going to get her paper to the people and (I suspect) start investigating the other Noble Lords. Nor and Ching better look out!

Rats! Now I have another two days to wait for the next post.
grumble

Brenda

Top Banana
Top Banana
What is Kal's secret?

~Sheila

I'm a firm believer in the fact that God doesn't put any more on us than we can bear. He does however make us come to Jesus every so often.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I love this Lois! She is determined! Poor Kal has to do that every month! Yikes. Poor guy. It seems hard to believe a leader would be so naive? Still loving the story. More soon. laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
We don't know what Kal's secret is yet. That will be revealed in part 18... grumble I can't wait!

One thing I have noticed. Every Kryptonian seems to have a one syllable name. Is this a coincidence, or is there a reason behind it? Then Lois comes along with a two syllable name.

I love the fact that Kal allows Lois to decide where she's sleeping. He is the Supreme Ruler. If he said that she had to sleep in his room, she would have to obey him. Yet he wants her to choose to stay with him.

Lois attempted to clear the gridlock from her throat. “What if you have to choose between your people and me?” she asked thickly. “What if you have to choose between your wife and me? You can promise me all that, but the truth is I could never be anything more than your third priority.”
This was SO heartbreaking!!!

Perry: (To Lois) Honey, this could be greatest story since Superman came to town. By-the-by, where is that husband of yours?
--Faster Than a Speeding Vixon
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Brenda said:
OK, I'll probably do this better tomorrow after I've had a little sleep, but my first impression is that Ching and Nor are tossing the 'sample' into the first bin they can find. Neither of them want Kal and ZaRa to have an heir - Ching because of his jealousy for ZaRa and Nor because of his power-hungry scheme to take over the world.
That's what I was thinking, too. And I really hope that Ching is jealous and wants Za for himself. That way, it might be possible for Kal to divorce her and allow her to marry Ching instead. And then, Kal would be free to marry Lois.

Kal's proposal to Lois reminds me a little of Mr Rochester's proposal to Jane Eyre in the famous novel by Charlotte Brontë. Poor Mr Rochester is already married, but his wife is insane, and he has locked her up in the attic. (And that was not very nice of you, Mr Rochester.) Also, back in England at that time, a person was forbidden to divorce, if his or her spouse was insane. (I guess the general idea was that society needed someone to take care of the poor lunatic, and that task fell on the spouse.) So Mr Rochester couldn't divorce his first wife, but he implored Jane Eyre to marry him anyway. "My wife doesn't matter," he insisted. "It is you that I love! We can leave this cursed house, leave England, go travelling all over Europe!" Well, Jane refused to listen to him, and she fled from his house so that she would not be tempted by him. But while she was refusing him, she could see that she was breaking his heart. Just like Lois could see that she was breaking Kal's heart when she turned down his proposal. mecry

I have more to say about this chapter, but I just have to leave for work now!

Ann

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Is anyone else just mecry over this whole part? I can't wait to see how this gets resolved!

Great part,
JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Top Banana
Top Banana
This is so sad for both of them:
...but I *want* to marry you.”

“Kal ... we can’t.”

He touched her cheek with his fingertips. “Please, Lois,” he begged. “Please don’t say that.”
But as hard as this part is, Lois had something else to deal with:
“What if people from your Planet come? What if you can go home?”
“I won’t leave you, Kal,” she promised. “I love you.”
To me, this is more significant than all those marriage proposals that were turned down. Here was her real lasting "Yes" that has more meaning that all the times she says "No."

Bob

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I reread this part twice, and I had a completely different take on the specimen. Poor Kal just doesn't get the whole concept, and for all we know they are getting him to spit in a vial. I don't think he has the slightest idea of what causes a baby. It might be that Za-Ra doesn't have any more idea than him, so she thinks it is all on the level. The rest of New Krypton knows about the birds and bees, and will never believe that their Supreme Ruler and his wife didn't understand what to do.

I think also that as sheltered as Kal's upbringing has been, his "secret" that has him embarrassed is probably something minor that one of the nobles has convinced him is a major character or moral flaw. IMHO

Pat

Top Banana
Top Banana
Pat said:
for all we know they are getting him to spit in a vial.
whinging

Kal stood and stepped away as he dragged his hand through his dark hair. When he turned to her, his hopelessness shattered her heart. “Then what are we going to do?” he asked bleakly.

“I don’t know.”

For long moments, the only sounds were the duet of ragged, broken breaths.
whinging whinging

And, saving the best for last, this:

He strode to the bed and crouched beside her, his eyes dark with intensity, his face vivid with purpose. “I have fallen in love with you, Lois,” he declared. “What you said ... it was like you had slashed apart my ribs and looked into my heart, because you described exactly what has happened inside me.”
Wow! notworthy

This entire chapter just broke my heart.

PS - Have I told you lately how much I LOVE THIS STORY?

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I agree with Bob, the fact that Lois promised to stay on New Krypton with Kal meant more than the seven times she turned down his proposal.

And I lolled at the spitting in the vial. Well, who knows?

Ann

A
Columnist
Columnist
A
This was heartbreaking. Beautiful, but heartbreaking.

But...what a different way for Lois to have her heart broken than what she's used to. Yet it produces the same result - she's going "Lois Lane" on the entire planet of New Krypton. And for that, I have to cheer!

This story has been amazing so far, and I think it's about to get even better!

Amber

Top Banana
Top Banana
OK, I have a theory.

Maybe Kal's secret it that he is really the son of the mystery earth woman. Maybe his seed isn't "bad", it's just incompatible. Maybe Dr. Klein was right about Earth people and Kryptonians being incompatible for reproduction. When the truth comes out, Kal is rejected as leader, Lt. Ching assumes command and marries La, and Kal and Lois fly back to earth to live happily ever after.

Of course, this doesn't answer the question of who Ard is. Or what Nor's plan is. Of why anyone would kidnap an earth baby and take him to Krypton. Or why Kal's parents would pretend he was their natural son. Or how Lois and Kal could get back to earth. Or..... help goofy

PS - on a more serious note, I did want to say that in this chapter in particular, Clark just shone through. I was reading "Kal", but in my mind's eye, I was seeing Clark.

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Ok, this was me driving home from work today knowing I had a new part to read when I got in dance

Well, I was dancing on the inside anyway!!

This is me now laugh I know it's not really funny in this context, it's sad. It's just I can feel Lois' awkwardness at having to spell this out to a grown man, and a grown man she's very attracted to at that!

“But the father ...” Kal stopped, his eyes low.

Then Lois understood. “You ... do that ... and they take ... it ... to your wife ... so they know for sure you are the father?”

“Yes,” he said, looking very relieved.

“And you’ve done this every month since you married your wife?”
rotflol That is so 'earth Lois' creeping back in. I could just hear her saying that as if speaking her thoughts out loud, then realising straight away it is not how she usually speaks to Kal, so blunt and to the point. Plus, of course, poor Kal doesn't even really understand what she means.

All her questions could wait – except for one. “Kal, do you know how Tek’s wife got pregnant with their children?”

“Not ... exactly.”
Ours, and Lois' suspicions are finally confirmed. And poor Kal, he's never asked either. It must be hard being Supreme Ruler and realising you don't know something so fundemental. I guess he thought he knew all he needed to to perform his duty. This is a man who didn't even know about hugging - I can't imagine what weird and wonderful ideas he must have had, but I doubt they would have come remotely close! He's in for a shock, but I'm sure he'll be keen to try it - with Lois! I wonder what methods Kryptonians have for contraception. Do they have any with it being such an underpopulated planet?

This should have shocked her, but it didn’t. “Kal, on Earth, it is usual for parents to tell children about things like this.”
wink How awkward!

He nodded. “Lois, until I met you ... I didn’t ... I didn’t know there was so much more ... so much I didn’t have. It’s like I was asleep ... but now I’m awake.”

Lois slowly dropped her head into her hands and rubbed against the pounding tension across her temples. What was she supposed to do now?

The more time she spent with him, the more *awake* he was likely to become.
party But be careful and don't be apart from Kal too long!!!

Arggh!! Where's part 15 already?!! We are so lucky to have this story but it's a good job you're so on top of posting, it's hard to wait a day, never mind longer. You've made us all so impatient.

Still loving it Corinna!! How cruel was the trick you played at the end of part 13's FDK by the way!! I totally fell for it. I read it just before I went to bed and went 'noooo!' It felt just like when you have to wait until the New Year for your favourite show to return, except it was worse cos I love this more than any TV show around at the moment!

Emma

"There's a fine line between brilliance and lunacy" - CK to LL(Madame Ex)
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I was driving in my car and thinking if she isn't Tek's wife or daughter, could she be his sister?

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
BJ Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
I was driving in my car and thinking if she isn't Tek's wife or daughter, could she be his sister?
Ard is a definite mystery. I hope we get more clues about her soon.

I was also thinking that the childish pictures don't necessarily mean that a child drew them. If Ard was 4-5 years old when they left Krypton, these may be pictures drawn from a memory of the pictures she drew as a child.

I still maintain that there is nothing nefarious about Tek's visit. Colorful representations of a happier time could draw many of the New Kryptonians to her door.

Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Brenda Thanks, Brenda. Good point regarding Kal never having to ask for things more than once.
Rats! Now I have another two days to wait for the next post.
See note at the end of my thread.

Sheila See part 18 smile (I've just sent it to Iolanthe)

Laura

I love this Lois! She is determined!
Now she is recovering a little from the shock of being on a new planet, Lois is becoming more Lois.

lcfan99

One thing I have noticed. Every Kryptonian seems to have a one syllable name. Is this a coincidence, or is there a reason behind it? Then Lois comes along with a two syllable name.
Jor, Kal, Trey, Ching, Nor - a lot of the males of NK seemed to have one syllable names. I decided to copy, but extend it to females as well.

*After* I had written a lot of the fic, I had the idea that there could have been some north/south differentiation in the names ... but it was too late by then.

Thanks for your comments.

Ann

I really hope that Ching is jealous and wants Za for himself. That way, it might be possible for Kal to divorce her and allow her to marry Ching instead. And then, Kal would be free to marry Lois.
That would certainly solve a few problems. wink

Thanks, Ann.

Shadow Yeah, it was a sad part - but there were hints at the end that things will get better.

Thanks.

Bob You're right - Lois promising not to leave Kal is a big step forward.

Thanks, Bob.

Pat Your idea put a picture in my mind of their wedding night!! Oh, dear.

I'm not saying one thing about the secret, but I am enjoying everyone's ideas.

Thanks, Pat.

Vicki I'm glad you're still enjoying it, Vicki. Thanks for all your wonderful FDK.

Re - your theory - dismissing all thoughts of my fic for a moment ... that had the beginnings of a great story. For me, the crux would be this ...

Or why anyone would kidnap an earth baby and take him to Krypton.
If you could think of an answer to this and also why the NKers would make him their Supreme Ruler and why Nor would allow it ... I see real possibilities.

So ... Kal is becoming more Clark and (see Laura's comment), Lois is becoming more Lois!

Amber Yes, it was a sad part - but there haven't been too many sad parts so far.

Thanks, Amber.

Emma Thanks again - you are almost beta'ing this fic!

Re Kal and his continuing proposals - in some ways he did a Lois Lane and jumped right in without thinking it through. He could see so clearly what Lois had described and knew he wanted it with her. So, he went for it before getting it totally clear in his own mind exactly what he was asking.

Of course, Lois was looking at it from a different perspective.

How cruel was the trick you played at the end of part 13's FDK by the way!!
Actually, most of what I said was true - I had realised there was a problem with part 15 and I did intend to fix it and then get 18 to Iolanthe.

But everyone had asked so nicely for the next part, I was swayed towards getting it posted first.

And I did 'fess up straight away!

EDIT - Laura and Brenda nice ideas ... keep them coming!!

OK ...

peep peep peep peep peep peep

There have been a few comments about how I've mostly posted every other day (despite me saying right at the start that I would try for twice a week).

Well, there's going to be a bit of a slow-down in posts for the next few weeks. The reason is that myself and my 10yo son are traveling to Canada to visit my daughter/his sister.

She has a computer (so I can write) and some internet access (so I can post) and I have a long, long flight to get the rest of this story finished.

I still intend to continue posting this fic, but it won't be EOD.

When I first started posting, I knew that the wise option would be to leave it until I returned from Canada. However, I was just so excited about it, I couldn't wait.

Part 15 has a horrible, deliberate, evil cat spider cliffhanger at the end. My plan is to post that part, then, rather than leaving you hanging, try to post at least part of 16 before I get on the plane and have no internet access for 32 hours.

I really appreciate all your FDK - please keep leaving your comments/speculation/ideas ... but please understand if my replies are brief. If I have to choose between posting a new part and replying to FDK, I'll post the part ... but please don't think I don't appreciate the FDK. I do, more than you could realise.

Corrina.

S
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
S
thanks for the update! have a safe flight, and can't wait for the next part!

Top Banana
Top Banana
whinging whinging whinging

Yes, it was a heartbreaking conversation, but, as has been said, necessary. What Kal doesn't understand, and what Lois never explained to him in so many words, is that all the wonderful things that Lois described are the *private* aspects of a marriage--the love affair part, if you will--but that a marriage also involves a *public* dimension.

A marriage is not *only* a relationship between two people. It is also involves the public recognition of that relationship because that relationship confers rights bestowed by the society. What Kal is asking for--a private marriage--is a contradiction in terms.

Some of those rights involve the children, some involve things like property rights, some, in a feudal society like NKs, involve status and protection of the wife. But one of those public rights is the right to expect other people to leave your spouse alone. Lois expects that of herself where Za is concerned; she has too much respect for herself, for Kal, and for Za to allow herself to be the other woman. Obviously the NKers don't have the same expectations of their nobles, else why would they have concubines?

So it seems to me that Kal and Lois have only had *half* of the conversation they really need to have about marriage. What Kal is asking for, but Lois can't accept, is an affair, not a marriage. Kal is asking in all innocence, but Lois is not that naive and can't accept what he is offering.

Never fear, though, because, Kal being the determined leader that he is, something tells me that he will find a way to give her what she needs--a true, legal, monogamous marriage. He's going to dig up some obscure Kryptonian law of divorce or annulment. Perhaps there is some law that the marriage can be disolved if no heir is produced within a certain time frame? Then Kal can marry Lois and get busy producing the heir the old-fashioned way.

Come to think of it, disolving Kal and Za's marriage through infertility may have been part of Nor's plan, but he didn't reckon with the appearance of Lois Lane.

I will say that Kal's self-image reinforces my idea that Kryptonian ideas of beauty are different from ours. Maybe Lois is the only woman on this whole planet who is drooling over the Supreme Ruler. The others are just trying not to gag when they see him at the Report every month and Za is relieved that she never has to actually touch him. Either that or someone has deliberately undermined his self-image. And the way he phrased it himself, that he couldn't do anything about the way he looks, but he hoped the rest would be enough to make up for it was just precious.

Lois's comment about how awake Kal will become brings up a delicate topic. With all this awakening going on, Kal will soon be in need of a certain conversation that most dads have with their boys when they get to be 12 years old or so. I'm thinking about the one involving embarrassing loss of control over a certain body part. I'm surprised the subject hasn't already come up. Oh, what that poor man has lost with the disappearance of that globe! This Clark is in desperate need of a Jonathan.

Excellent part, Corrina. It's painful, but that will make the reunion that much sweeter.

Have a safe trip and a good visit!

This *is* my happily ever after.
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Very good points about the private and public aspects of marriage, HappyGirl.

I believe that Hugh Hefner (or someone like him) has had two (or three) "official" girlfriends for a long time. By allowing themselves to publicly enter into such a relationship, Hefner's girlfriends are saying to the world that they think it is all right for a woman to have to share her man with one or more other steady girlfriends on a regular basis. In my mind, that means that these women are degrading not only themselves, but other women too.

However, while the American society certainly allows Hefner to have as many girlfriends at the same time as he and the girlfriends want, it does not allow him to be married to more than one woman at the same time. It also does not allow him to register any of his girlfriends as his legal concubine.

The American society says that a man is only allowed to have a legally accepted "binding" relationship with one woman at any given time. Women, says the American law, are not like pets. You can not own more than one of tehm at the same time. And they own you as much as you own them. Marriage is an equal partnership, or more or less equal at least.

That's another reason why Lois should insist that Kal can only have one wife at the same time. Because otherwise she helps keeping a woman's public status low.

And Corinna, while you leave us reading meaning into your fic, have a nice trip to Canada!

Ann

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard