#66104 09/12/09 12:24 AM
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
FDK goes here!

Many thanks.

Blogger
Blogger
There seems to be a bit of a lull in the story here. That's not to say it wasn't well-written, or that it isn't a necessary step in the story progression. Lois begins to come to terms with her new life here, both she and Kal are starting to show a certain awareness of their attraction to each other, Kal actually *has* the meeting that he and Lois talked about,...

Those are all elements that will no doubt come back to 'haunt' these characters later. But for now, I have no new questions, nor can I really say that I got any of the answers I was hoping for.

And that's OK. I still want all those questions answered, so I'll be waiting for the next part just as eagerly as I was waiting for this one.

Thanks for sharing!

You can gaze at the stars, but please don't forget about the flowers at your feet.
A
Columnist
Columnist
A
A seemingly simple move, but clearly so revolutionary on New Krypton. Your portrayal was fascinating - I could see the entire scene.

I worry about Lois leaving the gates, but she could really do no less.

I love the interaction between Kal and Lois.

More soon please!

Amber

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Oh yaaaahhhhh, baby. Those arms, that chest, that back, those thighs! Oh, wait. There were no thighs mentioned. Maybe later. Great part. Low-is is getting to know her fellow concubines. To bad they can't talk to each other about Kal. Maybe the rule is to keep the concubines from ganging up on their master! Keep it coming!
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Hi smile1

Emma

"There's a fine line between brilliance and lunacy" - CK to LL(Madame Ex)
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
New Krypton junkie signing in for a minute. :p

I already love the effect that Lois is having on Kal regarding the Disputes. Although why do I feel like this (and not this particular dispute, but Lois weighing in her opinion on future disputes) is going to bite us all in the butt later. :p But only time will tell!

Also worried about Lois wandering off; you'd think after seeing her do so much damage and getting into so many scrapes over the years, the worry would lessen...

Great part; looking forward to more,
JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
S
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
S
wow. very moving part.
so - i am a little confused. Eb seems to have feelings for her husband, so I'm assuming that not all NK people are as stoic, unfeeling as Kal.
also, last time it was mentioned that kal didn't know the form of a woman...how do they have children? what is the role of wife and concubine, and why would Nor not be safe if there was no sexuality?
keeping my interest, can't wait for more!

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I loved this chapter. You got a lot accomplished here I thought. Lois is writing her story, she got to see Kal's body and she desires it, Kal made a fair judgment because of Lois for that woman and her husband, Lois and Kal are touching more and it is affecting both of them. I can not wait for the first embrace, the first kiss. I can't wait to find out why Kal has not consummated his marriage with his wife and what the wife will do when she finds out about Lois. What will his people do? I can't wait for his first smile. Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
Top Banana
Top Banana
Random reactions in no particular order:

- Kal is not the only one who is now officially smitten. evil

This *is* my happily ever after.
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Lois smiled her friendliest smile. “My name is Lois.” Again they stared at her ... like she was from another planet, Lois thought wryly.
That sure had me mouth-twitching! Enough to bare my teeth, even! laugh

And I just loved this:

“Could I have some? Please?”

“What is that last word?”

“Please,” she repeated. “It is what you say when you ask for something. Then if you get it, you say "thank you'.”

“Tan koo?”
Tan koo. How lovely. I'd better watch out so that I don't accidentally say that in the future, instead of "thank you".

And then the loveliness of the "tan koo" was enhanced by this episode:

Very, very slowly, Eb's face lifted and looked at him with timid eyes. “I can be with my husband?” she whispered.

“Yes.”

Eb stared at him. <Tan koo> Kal thought. That's what she was saying ... not saying ... they didn't have a word for it ... but that's what she meant.
That was just utterly lovely.

(Okay, I'll digress... cant' help it... but I once read about a whale that had been caught in fishing nets and things and would die there, unless someone freed her. A number of divers had come to the whale's rescue. They were cutting and cutting the thick netting and lines, working for hours, and all the time they had to look out for the whale's tail. Apparently she would almost automatically make fast movements with her huge tail, and if the divers didn't look out, they could be hit by her tail and be hurt or even killed.

Finally, after hours of hard work, they managed to free her.

When the whale was free, she swam in circles around the men. She swam around them again and again. The she stopped in front of the man who had freed her mouth, and she looked into his eyes for at least a whole minute.

Tan koo.)

This was utterly lovely:

Kal reached out and gently grasped her right wrist. He lifted her "S'-branded hand a few inches off her knee. &#8220;You will be safe because of this,&#8221; he said. Then he replaced her hand on her knee as if it were exceedingly fragile.
And Lois's response was so appropriate:

For the second time in less than thirty minutes, Lois's heart was thumping out of control. Was that the first time he had touched her? Touched her when there was no need?

Or was it just the first time she'd noticed how every part of her body reacted to his touch?

She looked from her hand to his face and saw that Kal was still staring at her hand. His throat bobbed as he swallowed. Had he felt something too?

But what?

He didn't even have a word for love.
Well, you don't need a word for love to love. And you don't need a word for tan koo to tan koo.

Now I'm going to use some of HappyGirl's beautifully thought out and worded feedback to add some thoughts of my own. HappyGirl wrote:

The shapeless robe combinded with Kal's extreme modesty makes me think of the burka. How much would a man know about normal female anatomy if he'd only ever seen women covered in burkas?
That is a very astute observation. I'm struck, too, by the contrast between Kal's half-naked form and Lois's "burka"-clad body, when she walked into his room without knocking. Lois's extreme sartorial modesty, combined with Kal's "provocative" dress and his natural extreme modesty, certainly had both of them gasping and blushing.

It's no wonder that Lois would fall in lust with Kal's body when she saw it accidentally displayed like that. But even though she fell in real lust with him only now, she had fallen in love with him before. And she had already learned to like him very much, which is not the same thing as loving someone:

&#8220;You're a good man,&#8221; Low-iss said.
And she not only said it, she meant it.

Oh, and this Low-iss business. To Kal, Lois's name seemed to signify her lowly status: Low-iss. Kal, on the other hand, has a higher status than anyone else in his society. The attraction between Kal and Low-iss is an attraction between two who are at the opposite ends of the status scale in the Kryptonian society, except that Lois has gained status thanks to the fact that she has become Kal's concubine. But I think that this is part of the attraction between this Lois and this Kal in this fic, too: it has to do with the audacity of reaching across the borders set up by polite society and the established hierarchy: the noblest Noble reaches out to Low-iss, or more shockingly still, she reaches out to him. Because even though she is so low in status, even though her name constantly reminds Kal of how humble her natural position is, she absolutely never acts like it. She barely acts like less than his equal at all, in fact. She is unashamed and full of ideas and suggestions, and she keeps doing that mouth-twitch which makes his insides go haywire in the most wonderful way.

HappyGirl said:

We also have spousal priviledge; your spouse cannot be forced to testify against you in court. That's because society has decided that encouraging openness in those relationships is more important than whatever might be gained by breaching those confidences.
I'm not sure I agree with HappyGirl about the reason for why spouses can't be forced to testify against each other in court. (And I don't think we have that rule here in Sweden.)

I know I have read relatively old British detective stories which pointed out that a man might not be found guilty in court, because the only one who knew what he had done was his wife, and she did not have to testify against him. Indeed, I usually got the impression that in those old British stories, a wife wasn't allowed to testify against her own husband. (I never, on the other hand, came across a story where the perpetrator was a married woman who could not be found guilty because her husband was not allowed to testify against her.)

This is my take on the "no spousal testifying" thing. I think that is a remnant of the time when a wife was basically her husband's property. Back then, a man might do something criminal, but to ask his wife to testify against him was like asking a slave to testify against his master. You don't do that sort of thing, because it would upset the hierarchy of the society.

I think that in a strongly hierarchical society, preserving the hierachy is more important than catching and sentencing an individual wrong-doer. Therefore, a Noble can only be sentenced if he is accused by another Noble. A man can only be sentenced if he is accused by another man, unless he himself belongs to the lower classes and his female accuser is a Noble's wife. If we see the "no spousal testimony" in that light, it means that a husband is superior to his wife, and he can't be sentenced on her testimony (but his character might be cast in doubt because of her testimony, which would be unpleasant for him, so she is not allowed to say anything). And a husband is responsible for his wife's behaviour, so if she has done something illegal, we mustn't ask the husband to confess in court that he has allowed her to do something bad that he was not able to stop. Therefore, again, there can be no spousal testimony.

I think the New Kryptonian society is strongly hiearchical and very patriarchical. It is also sexist, because why else would there be official concubines? A society that permits men to keep official concubines, and even to brand them, is a society that grants male nobles the right to keep female sex slaves.

But Kal, who lives in this hierachical, patriarchical, sexist society, seems untouched by it in many ways. He is innocent in more ways than one, and he has never shown the least bit contempt for Low-iss, either because of her low status or because of her gender. The two of them are equals, in spite of absolutely impossible obstacles between them.

This is one of the many contradictions that make this fic so irresistible.

Ann

Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Oooh FDK! Thanks guys.

Pedendang I've been really conscious that in trying to portray an entirely new society, there's a balance between too much detail and not enough.

(One of things I love about writing LnC is that the readers know the background so the writer doesn't have to explain it.)

Anyway ... not all questions about the society will be answered ... but hopefully all questions about the story will be. But even that takes groundwork.

Thanks for your comments, Pedendang, and for reading so enthusiastically.

Amber The scene with Eb came late to the story, but I thought it added a lot. Glad you liked it too.

Thanks for leaving FDK.

Artemis Thanks Artemis. Yesterday I was working on a later part that sort of follows on from this bit. Glad you liked it!

Emma Thanks for taking the time to leave FDK, Emma.

I just love how you write the interactions between Kal and Lois. It is so subtle and gentle how they're gradually getting to know and understand each other and I adore Kal. Whenever you give his POV it is so funny and sweet. He badly needs some warmth and tenderness in his life and his heart 'awakening' - funny that!
It was the chance to explore this slowly-developing relationship between two people of vastly different backgrounds that compelled me to write this fic.

I'm so glad it's working for you.

Lois - mellow laugh I realise that Lois, particularly S1 Lois, would probably be a little more feisty than I've written her so far. However (as you said), this Lois is way out of her comfort zone. In TNAOS, Lois had the homeground advantage over newcomer Clark. Here, the positions are reversed.

Shadow Thanks for your comments. Lois may be a little more mellow, but she will always have an effect on her environment.

See comment below about Lois wandering off.

Sarah You may think you're a little confused, Sarah, but your summary is correct.

One of the reasons why Eb and her husband are in the story is to show that although there is no Kryptonian word for 'love', there is love in their society. It may seem cold and undemonstrative to us, but it's there. I think the relationship between Ching and Zara in canon showed this too.

Thanks for reading and commenting.

Laura

First kiss ... coming soon.
First embrace ... coming.
First smile ... almost here.

Thanks for your FDK, Laura!

Happy Girl Thanks for your interesting FDK, Happy.

On your second point - one of the things I loved about TNAOS was how Lois was never put off by Superman's (and then Clark's) differences. I really wanted the reverse to come through here - Lois may be an alien from another planet, but her differences only serve to fascinate Kal.

Do you mean to imply that Lois doesn't just like Kal the celebrity or Kal the noble? That if he had *no* power, if he were just an ordinary man leading an ordinary life, she'd like him just the same?
Yeah ... that's exactly where I was heading. Thanks for picking it up!

Now ... about Lois getting herself into trouble on the scary streets of NK. This is a love story (see title laugh ). I'm not promising there will be no danger or angsty moments, but, fundamentally, this is the story of two people falling in love.

Just so as you're not too disappointed when she arrives back safely ...

Thanks everyone.

Corrina.

Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Ann Just posted FDK-FDK, and noticed your post had been added to the thread.

Thanks for your incredibly involved comments about my fic.

Loved your whale story.

But Kal, who lives in this hiearachical, patriarchical, sexist society, seems untouched by it in many ways. He is innocent in more ways than one, and he has never shown the least bit contempt for Low-iss, either because of her low status or because of her gender.
I love how you wrote this.

Not only have you summed up so much in the fic so far, you've just about shone a light forward to where we are going.

Thanks again, Ann

Corrina.

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
First kiss ... coming soon.
First embrace ... coming.
First smile ... almost here.
Yay hyper can't wait. I can't believe I can be so excited about a 'first smile.' And then the first kiss... wink

This is such a beautiful romantic story.

I too love Kal's interpretations of earth language and how he is beginning to understand the meaning of words he couldn't begin to comprehend when he first heard them. It really is lovely the way he says 'Tan koo.'

Emma (very much looking forward to part 6)

"There's a fine line between brilliance and lunacy" - CK to LL(Madame Ex)
Top Banana
Top Banana
I have to say that though I have not commented on every part (because of something called graduate school), I am absolutely smitten by this tale. I love how Lois and Kal-El are learning from each other. It must have taken so much--imagination--to so vividly describe this planet and it's people and be able to give us a view of what you saw.

Great job! You must hurry back with more!

~Sheila

I'm a firm believer in the fact that God doesn't put any more on us than we can bear. He does however make us come to Jesus every so often.
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Awesome smile

Did she sense a tinge of petulance in Kal’s monotone? His face was still impassive, but there seemed to be a shadow of displeasure there now – although Lois couldn’t have said how she had discerned it ... or even if her discernment was correct. Was he a jealous *master*? “You’re busy, Kal,” she said reasonably. “You have meetings and your people need you. You can’t spend all day helping me acclimatise.”
I wonder if and when he's going to discover that he prefers Lois spending her time with him instead of anyone else. And what's wrong with keeping his concubine by his side 24/7? (Or what ever their day-length is.)

The three people turned and headed for the door. The father exited, followed by the younger brother. Eb hesitated at the door and turned, head still low, but eyes searching for Kal.

She held his gaze for a stretched moment, before following her husband.
I bet Eb got the scare of her live. And what did she think would happen. Given that only Kal is unaware that little Kryptonians *don't* drop from the sky in a space capsule, she probably wondered if Kal would offer her *his* protection after sending her husband away. But maybe that's just too feudal for New Kryptonian society. huh

My story is much nicer
Hmm... I'm always willing to be surprised :p

Michael, still waiting for Lois to get into trouble with her new band mates.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Great part!

I am really curious about the rest of NK.

The way you describe Kal ... I can imagine him ... this is how he would have become if he had been raised on NK.

I hope that you post the next part soon

Kathryn
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Emma Thanks, Emma. Part 6 is posted.

Sheila Thanks for leaving FDK, Sheila, despite being so busy. I'm glad you're enjoying the fic.

Michael Thanks for your FDK, Michael.

Kal probably already knows he prefers Lois spending time with him than others. Problem is ... he has the planet to run.

Hmm... I'm always willing to be surprised
I get the feeling you'd be quite happy if Nor *did* try to take Lois from Kal. huh laugh

Kathryn Thanks, Kathryn.

Some aspects of life on NK will be covered, but not everything.

I'm glad Kal seems believable to you.

Corrina.

Merriwether
Merriwether
I've been so swamped this week that I haven't been able to catch up on this story, but it didn't stop me from checking periodically to see how many new chapters had been posted ... and from squeeing a little inside every time I saw there was a new one.

This story leaves me speechless. Another poster said it felt like a lull, but to me, it was pure joy. I love watching them learn about each other, each trying to make the other happy. Even though this isn't "Clark", his inherent sweetness -- and goodness -- is coming through loud and clear. (And the arms ... oh, the arms. Yes, Kal, keep doing the physical exercise ... maybe right there in the room while Lois is watching. I'm sure she won't mind one bit. <g>)

And I can't *wait* for Kal's first smile. Tan koo, FH, for this wonderful story. smile

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard