Pulitzer
C
FDK goes here smile .

Next scheduled post:
Wednesday, 10-noon ET

Previews

Chapter 118
~*~Clark~*~

I had it all in a bag and was heading out of the store when someone else was walking in. I stood off to the side to let whoever it was pass, but they didn't. They just stopped.

I looked up. "Lana," I said quietly.

"Hi," she said in equally quiet tones.

"How are you?"
Chapter 119
~*~Lois~*~

I nodded, holding my hand out to Christopher.

As we headed for the door, I saw something in the reflection.

Lana.

Watching us.
Thanks smile .

Carol

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Talk about your creepy previews.

I'm glad that Clark and Lois are talking again. I know, this isn't all that Lois wants - and maybe it isn't all that she needs - but it's a start. You can't all-my-life-keep-my-heart-safe-for-me love someone you don't trust, and they need to rebuild that as soon as possible. And they need to restore their friendship, too, with or without benefits.

Ichchch! Lana's creeping me out here!

I'm glad Nate's okay. I'm even more glad that your DS is getting better, Carol. That's a hard thing for a parent to experience, and I'm thrilled for you that it looks so good at this point. May your DS and Nate both recover completely and fully!

I'm getting seriously creeped out now!

I think it's good that Clark is trying to do two contradictory things with Lois. He's trying to give her some space so she doesn't feel trapped by him, but he's also not allowing her to push him completely away from him. Lois needs to listen to this song and realize that while her life isn't exactly ideal, it's also not nearly as bad as it could be. After all, she could be in a prison cell in Latislan right now - or worse, in a certain crazed dictator's harem.

I am totally creeped out right now! Stalking and peeping Lana! Yikes! That can't be good.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Hey all! Just a quick note: I was the one who made the Friends comment (ala Jim Carrey in the Liar, Liar elevator scene: "It was meeeee!"). The comment wasn't against the fic or the choice made to include that allusion, it was more me voicing my frustration over the lunkhead believing that Lana is his Rachel--and that is because I want him to feel that way about Lois and that darn Lana keeps getting in the way. Hey, I'm sure there are some people that rooted for Rachel/Joey (I just wasn't one of them) wink

Back later!
~s

October Sands, An Urban Fairy Tale featuring Lois and Clark
"Elastigirl? You married Elastigirl? (sees the kids) And got bizzay!" -- Syndrome, The Incredibles
C
carolm Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
C
Hehe - popping in real quick b/c another plot point [in the chapter i'm working on] just worked itself out.

I *loathe* Ross and Rachel, post first breakup [so does Lois you might have noticed wink ]. I liked Rachel and Joey in S8 and S10, but the writers... not so much...

Sonia - I meant to comment in my response but missed it somehow and just stuck it in there.

Carol

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
My favourite chapters thus far. Lois and Clark's fears came through, and I like that they were both scared senseless, but showed it in different ways. I hope Nate and your DS recover completely.

I won't say anything else, cause you're probably frustrated with my constant harping. blush I just thought I'd say I'm still here, and looking forward to see where you take these characters.

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Just posting a short reply here. I was almost wincing when Lois scolded Clark and sent him away from her bed. I could just imagine Shelia complaining about Lois again! wink

So I was relieved when Lois apologized in chapter 117. Sheila is right that Lois hasn't been helpful when it comes to putting their relationship on safer ground. I sympathize with Lois (as usual wink ) but she could do better in her relationship with Clark, and I'm glad she was doing just that in chapter 117. I'm also glad that she noted how relieved Clark was that Nate was going to be okay. He worries about Nate just as much as she does, and he loves him just as much. (Like others have said, it was a relief that Nate's surgery went well, but it is even better that little DS is not so tiny any more!)

Still - now that I just said that it was a good thing that Lois apologized to Clark for what she had said to him - I think it was a good thing, nevertheless, that she suggested that they should put an end to their torture and get divorced right now. I think that Clark is vaccillating in a way that is infuriating. He wants to have his cake and eat it, too. He wants to stay with Lois, and he doesn't want her to leave him, but at the same time he is looking forward to the expiration date of their marriage. Has he thought things through at all? Pardon me for saying it, but I think that this Clark has the makings of a bigamist. He likes Lois and wants to keep her, but he wants another woman too.

I really loved that Martha explained to Clark that there are different kinds of love, and the love she felt for Chris was not the the same as the love she feels for Jonathan. Can Clark understand this? Can he accept that he can love Lois, even if it doesn't feel like the love he felt for Lana?

Lana. Yeeeecchh. She has become a stalker, has she? eek shock eek shock eek

Ann

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Ditto to Ann on a number of points. You're not going to have the exact same feelings for one person that you do for another. Like...well some high tech gadget that picks up your feelings from the last relationship and just goes, "Boop Boop Boop Boop Beeeep!" and drops them into the next one.

I hate to say that I'm in the divorce camp, too, but it's just not healthy relationship if you're not ever on the same page with someone else. They're probably not even in the same volume by the same author. :p Cut your losses and get out. Maybe try again later if you can show that you've grown *ahem Clark ahem* and that you're ok with what the other person is willing to give *ahem Lois ahem*. wink

Great parts, looking forward to the Cow in the previews, goofy
JD

ETA: Hasn't anyone bothered to tell Clark that LIFE is what happens when you're busy making other plans? I think my new bothersome is that, well, I'm sure we'd all like to think that we try and make the best of any situation. Have we truly seen that from Clark?

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I hate to say that I'm in the divorce camp, too, but it's just not healthy relationship if you're not ever on the same page with someone else. They're probably not even in the same volume by the same author. [Razz] Cut your losses and get out. Maybe try again later if you can show that you've grown *ahem Clark ahem* and that you're ok with what the other person is willing to give *ahem Lois ahem*.
Lois brought up the divorce now scenario, which I think was mature and smart of her that she realizes how destructive this situation is becoming. What frustrates me with these twenty year olds is that they start communicating and fleshing out particular issues, and then the subject drops, and then don't come back to the issue until they're fighting again. I can't remember a time when I've used the adjective "lunkhead" so many times before for a single story. It's such a fitting adjective for these characters though. smile

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I'll keep it simple:

help

PS: At least we're getting more Lana cat

PPS: Oh, and I do think I love those parts. I think I'll go as far as saying I love them as much as Clark loves Lois (*big hint*). I'm just counting the days till Christmas (read "sleep") right now, so not much emotion left.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I loved these parts!

"What do you want from me?" he practically yelled, before lowering his voice. "You want me to lie to you and tell you I love you and I want to be with you and make love to you and then one day, years from now, tell you I've been lying the whole time? I leave and you and my son are both in danger. I stay until the danger's over and I hurt all of you. What's the answer?"
Bingo!
That's what I see happening if Clark told Lois he was in love with her right now. He hasn't come to terms with it, so if he made himself believe he was in love with her/told her he was in love with her, it would backfire on him and Lois.

And, yes, you can make yourself believ your in love when your not. In popular culture it's sometimes called "falling in love with falling in love." This never happened to me, because I was so careful with making sure my feeling were real. (Although my guilt did make me "keep looking for it - plus I really wanted to find love with SOMEONE.)
But my mother tells me it's what she did with my father.
And when the truth comes out, it hurts the other person A LOT more than saying "sorry, I don't love you" - as hard as that is.

I see so much evidence of double-edged guilt in these chapters it is not even funny. The quote above is an example. In the last chapter there is also a quote where Clark says "If I could make myself fall in love with you, I would."
There is also
"I don't want to break your heart and I don't want to hurt the boys, but what am I supposed to do?"
from part 116. This is another version wishing he could "make himself fall in love with her."

Even though he is still counting on the divorce, I don't think I would say he's looking foward to it. In fact, these quotes show me in some ways, he's dreading it. He's just not dreading it for the same reasons Lois is.
And that "double-edged guilt" also shows he's denying his feelings for Lois. Like I said before, eventually, he'll have to let that go. But it's going to be HARD. Much harder than it was for me, and I can tell you that was hard.

And I'm glad Clark didn't tell his mother about his problems with Lois. Her realizes that that isn't something she wants anyone to know.
Want to talk about it?" she asked quietly.

I shook my head. "I can't. It's between me and Lois and I can't talk to anyone else about it – at least not right now. Maybe eventually, if it doesn't resolve itself, but not anytime soon."
He'd like to tell someone, but he knows he shouldn't. And I don't think this is a matter of "Mom wouldn't be proud of me if I told her I was going to divorce Lois." It's a matter of "Lois and I decided to keep this between ourselves and I need to honor that."

And he FINALLY acknowledged that she wouldn't be happy about his conversation with Sam and he probably shouldn't have told him what he did. dance
I put both feet on the ground and leaned forward, my elbows on my knees. "There's stuff about my life I can't tell you, Mom. I wish I could, but I can't. I promised Lois I wouldn't talk about certain parts of our lives, our marriage, our problems with anyone. I already said too much to Sam once and can't bring myself to tell her that - and he said he'd prefer she not even know we'd had the conversation. And maybe we should talk to someone, maybe we need to, but we can't. There's too much risk with Navance and everything else. And now Nate on top of it all..." I sighed. "I promise. If I can ever talk about it, you guys will be the first ones I talk to."
I still thinnk he should tell her about that conversation, though. I know he knows she won't be happy with it. And he probably thinks, or at least rationalizes, that he's protecting her from anymore hurt.

But here's the thing. You can't shield your spouse from all the hurt. Not if you want to have a real marriage. Certainly Lois and Clark don't have a real marriage.
But like I said before, they always made decisions together like a real marriage. And this is especially important because it doesn't just concern them, it concerns the kids, too.

The kids are people they should ALWAYS make desisions together.

And furthermore, by not telling her, he's cutting communication off again. They may not have a real marriage, but they have made an effort to communicate openly and honestly ever since their first anniversary.

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I, too, loved these chapters. It was cathartic for Lois to say the things she did. I think I wanted to be sure that she knew that she didn't have to stay in a situation where she thought would lead to misery. I'm not saying that staying married to Clark would mean misery... but as long as *she* thinks that, then there really is little hope for change. Attitude precedes action.

I'm glad Nate's surgery went well and that nothing abnormal popped up on the tests. Now he just needs to start gaining some weight and retaining his food.

So... Cruella's back, according to the previews. Since there was a slight confession to almost liking Lana by the author, I'm going to guess that she's heard/read about Nate's problems and is going to be a bit tame and considerate in these next two chapters. Methinks she will be feeling a bit small given the evil thoughts that went through her mind when she found out Lois was pregnant. She probably wished ill, but did not imagine her curses manifesting in the baby.

I look forward to seeing if my train is on the right track.

A demain! (translation: tomorrow)
~s

October Sands, An Urban Fairy Tale featuring Lois and Clark
"Elastigirl? You married Elastigirl? (sees the kids) And got bizzay!" -- Syndrome, The Incredibles
C
carolm Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
C
/waves/

Good morning - hope to post here before too long. Unfortunately, tomorrow's post won't be until later...

And I'm not saying anything about Lana so...

Terry - Yes, things could be much worse for Lois and - on some level - she does know that.

Grinch - DS is doing wonderfully so it's a pretty safe bet Nate is too wink .

Ann - keep in mind that there is the threat to Christopher - at this point, at least, that's a big reason why he doesn't want the marriage to end.

JD - LOL at Lana as 'cow' wink . And yes - life is what happens while you're busy making plans...

Michael - thanks - even for a short, illustrated comment laugh .

Sara - you're right - he's not 'counting the days till he can be free' or whatever, he's dreading it too but that's the plan at the moment.

Sonia - I will say that the next two chapters have *nothing* to do with my momentary almost-change-of-heart about Lana wink .

Going to read a book to DD, then will post smile .
Carol

Merriwether
Merriwether
I must be tired, but every once in a while I have trouble figuring out what is going on! Hehe. e.g.
"I'll leave," I said quietly, pain shooting through my heart. "We've talked for nearly three years about you leaving, in large part because we didn't think you were Christopher's father. Now that we know almost for sure that you are, there's no reason for you to leave. I'll leave. I'll go. We can make it normal for our kids. You live with Mom and Dad until you're two and a half and then you live with Dad. Or in Nate's case, until you wean. He'll never know any different and Christopher won't remember life with both of us for long. It'll be his new normal and he'll adapt. He's a kid. They adapt easily."
Bah, where's caffeine? I guess the perspective... I'm not sure of the term, is throwing me off. I think I get it.

I better get some before I read more smile

One of the doors opened behind me. "I thought I heard someone out here." It was Mom.

"I couldn’t sleep," I told her.

"More like you were fighting with your wife. I couldn’t hear what you were saying but that part was pretty unmistakable."
I was wondering when she'd hear them fighting.

She caught me off-guard with her next question. "Are you still in love with Lana?"
All I could think was "Clark just answer the question!"

I sighed and decided that sleeping on the veranda might not be such a bad plan.
I wish I had a veranda to sleep out on.

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard