Next Thread
Print Thread
#53799 07/13/08 02:29 AM
cp33 Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
Wow! That was beautiful and touching. Clark's sense of loss was heart breaking

His need for Lois was so strong that he blocked out the suit. Wonderful revelation moment, beautiful story.

#53800 07/13/08 06:29 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I'll second that Wow!

Amazing story!! Very moving, heartfelt... sad... mecry

An interesting and often unexplored weakness of clark/superman.

Thank you for sharing.

"He's my best friend, best of all best friends
Do you have a best friend too
It tickles in my tummy
He's so Yummy Yummy
Hey you should get a best friend too" - Toy Box
#53801 07/14/08 01:33 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
<hugs you>

This is beautiful and heartbreaking.

I'm going to assume that you took lessons from Cat on how to break our little hearts in such wonderful fashion? *lol*

Wonderful little fic, Amanda. <hugs you again>

Superman: Why is it that good villains never die?
Batman: Clark, what the hell are good villains?
=> Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
#53802 07/14/08 04:56 PM
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
This is indeed a powerful story. You've captured the bond between son and father very well. And you've reminded us that Superman has more weaknesses than just Kryptonite.

This passage, however:
Nothing felt real. Nothing looked real. Nothing was real. Not him, not the air, and definitely not this moment. None of it seemed real. But it was. This horror was real, undeniably, damningly so ... this was really happening ... and the world was still turning. The damned thing didn't even have the decency or compassion to stop – just for one second. If he believed in God, he would undoubtedly believe that the continuation of life was just to there to mock him in his pain, but there was no God.

He had learned that today.
bothers me on several levels. This isn't the first time Clark has had to face death, even the death of someone he loves. And I can't accept that Clark would feel (not believe, mind you, but feel) that his father's death was the most important event in the universe. It is, of course, vitally important to him, and by extension extremely important to his friends, but essential to the smooth operation of the entire universe? I don't think so.

And the implicit statement that if God really existed He would wipe away all suffering - or even Clark's specific, very personal suffering - is arrogant when you look closely at it. Nothing in the Bible promises that believers will never suffer pain or loss or death. And God has never defined Himself as the eliminator of all of our problems and discomfort. For Clark to blame God because his overweight father died of a heart attack makes as much sense as Clark blaming Lois for not accepting his "I-didn't-tell-you-I-was-Superman" proposal. God wasn't responsible for Jonathan's weight problem or his aging or his high-cholesterol diet or for his choice of occupation (which might have either contributed to his heart problem or delayed its onset).

The story is powerful. The ending is special. And Clark's pain is almost a living thing in your words. I just wish you hadn't thrown that statement in about God.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
#53803 07/16/08 01:22 PM
Blogger
Blogger
I'm not being argumentative; this is a genuine question: Does it say anywhere in canon that Clark/Superman's concept of God is based, specifically, in the Bible?

Peace, Carolyn
#53804 07/16/08 01:47 PM
cp33 Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
I know Clark and Lois married the first time in a church but I don't recall there being any mention of church for either character.

I would think the Kents attended the local church in Smallville.

#53805 07/16/08 07:53 PM
G
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
G
I honestly don't know what the religious preference of the Kent family is but according to Wikipedia they are Presbyterian....But I was just writing as to how he must feel about this. Of course everyone knows that God is not here to take away pain and that Clark's dad is not detrimental to the function of the universe but those kind of logical thoughts don't enter the picture when you lose a parent...especially one you were close to. And Clark is certainly not in the most stable of places, mentally, in this story. The man thought that hugging his father's corpse would bring him back to life just because his father always hugged him back. And trust me, when you lose a parent that you were close to logic, reason, and rational thought are the first things to go straight out the window to become one with the asphalt. I didn't mean to offend anyone with the statement about God...it was more of an expression of the depth of emotion and heart ache that poor Clark is going through. So please don't lynch me...I was just conveying the emotions in my fic the best way I could.

"Madness is like gravity...it just takes a little push." ~The Joker
#53806 07/17/08 04:31 AM
cp33 Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
No lynching meant by my post. I believe that Clark would have a belief in God growing up with the Kents. Since he didn't know he wasn't human until he was an adult, he wouldn't think he was out of the world of Earth.

I have not lost a parent but I can see questioning God and wondering why this had to happen. I skimmed that line and focused on his pain.

Wonderful story, really.

#53807 07/17/08 01:44 PM
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
GuineaPants, please accept my apology. I did not mean to jump on you. All I wanted to do was point out the one part of the story that didn't make it past my personal "suspension of disbelief" threshold. I, too, have experienced great loss, as have the majority of the FOLCs on these boards, so I have some understanding of the depth of Clark's loss. If, in the L&C series, Jonathan had been the very center of Clark's personal universe, the absolute anchor of his entire life, I would not have spoken up about that passage because then his grief would have been appropriate.

But I never got that from the TV show, from the comics, or from any of the movies. Yes, Clark loves (loved) his father deeply and unreservedly, but not exclusively.

Sending Clark to Lois for their first intimate encounter after the loss of the person who seems to have meant everything to him almost demotes Lois to second place in Clark's heart. He almost seems to be masking his loss by taking love from her, which doesn't define the relationship the way I view it.

But part of the L&C romantic storyline is that Lois is Clark's center, even as he is Lois's center. I would have understood had Clark raged against the cruel fates, poured his heart out over losing the man who brought him from infant to adult, or screamed out his anger against God for allowing such pain to exist. Any of those, I believe, would have been both personally appropriate and justified by the circumstances.

Please remember that my comments and opinions are merely that, my comments and opinions. Just because I react in a certain way to a story doesn't mean my reaction is the only right one. Just ask around.

I hope I haven't run you off. You're a good writer with a firm grasp of the humanity inherent in the Superman/Clark Kent duality. I hope you bring more offerings to our table for us to taste. And thank you for writing this story for us.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
#53808 07/20/08 01:22 AM
G
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
G
Okay...I would like to apoligize for my previous post. I re-read it and I want to say a heartfelt SORRY! I didn't mean to come off harsh...or to suggest that nobody knows how losing someone feels...or to even suggest that anyone isn't allowed to have their thoughts and/or opinions...I just ment to point out that it was all for the the emotional, 'hey this is really sad and I hope it rips your heart from your chest and makes you cry...'so sorry if I ever indicated other wise.
Manda

#53809 07/20/08 01:34 AM
Features Writer
Features Writer
Originally posted by LaraMoon:

I'm going to assume that you took lessons from Cat on how to break our little hearts in such wonderful fashion? *lol*
*hides the teacher's hat and chalkboard under the rug* I've done no such thing!

Truthfully though, I had nothing to do with the creation of this. But yeeees, proud of the Padawan Master Brucie is! *coughs and clears throat* Never could maintain Yoda :p

This was good! I liked the low-burn of the grief, like a pot set to medium instead of high on a stove, so that the noodles of ficcness don't burn and get mushy and... when did I start talking about food?

Now I'm hungry :p

Coherent speech obviously comes with being awake... but I liked!

And oh! <hugs!>

Mmm cheese.

I vid, therefor I am.

The hardest lesson is that love can be so fair to some, and so cruel to others. Even those who would be gods.

Anne Shirley: I'm glad you spell your name with a "K." Katherine with a "K" is so much more alluring than Catherine with a "C." A "C" always looks so smug.
Me: *cries*
#53810 07/20/08 08:36 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
This will be my first-ever post. I hope I don't embarrass myself too much.

Very nice story. Very intense.

I found the story to be very moving. I lost my Mom when I was 21 and reading this took me back to that time. That sort of loss rips a gaping hole in your soul and that pain was evident. The story conveys this emotion very well. I think my favorite section was the passage where Clark heard the woman laughing. The idea of “How can the world just go on when I hurt so much?” is something that we can all relate to at one time or another.

Based on my vision of the standard L&C universe, I would not normally expect that intense of a reaction by Clark on the sudden death of his Dad. However, I find it easy to think in terms of either a)this is a variant vision where he had a much closer relationship with his Dad or b)his Dad was always that important to him and it simply was not obvious most of the time.

As to the ending with Lois, while I would probably have not expected this sort of an intimate end to this story, I don't have any problem with it as a possible outcome. These hyper-extreme life experiences can have the effect of ripping away the emotional “control rods” that we normally use to govern the way we interact with others.

I found the story and the emotional intensity very enjoyable.

#53811 08/09/08 10:14 AM
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
Gosh,...
It's so touching. All the pain that Clark feels by losing his dad. In the Lois&Clark you see it's something he really needs; his mum and dad, and ofcourse Lois, but it's sad.
Isn't it true that in the comics and the other "Superman Things" he really lost his father??

Wow, really great work.. whinging

Xx Lizzy

Lois: Oh leave that truth and justice stuff to Superman would you?!
Lois&Clark *sight*
Lois: See, I knew I shouldn't have told you! But you're my partner right??
#53812 08/09/08 03:10 PM
G
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
G
Aw....Thanks! Reading these latest FDK has totally made the super crappy day I've had better. Thank you so much! goofy

#53813 08/09/08 03:13 PM
cp33 Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
Sorry you have had a bad day Manda. hope all is better for you soon.

#53814 08/15/08 11:20 PM
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Okay, finally read this. It sure plays well into Clark's control-issues. And when he's finally confronted with something he can't fix, it tears him apart and as usual he goes to Lois, too distraught to even realize that Clark = Superman is not common knowledge. Nice work smile

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard