Next Thread
Print Thread
#49798 02/16/08 07:57 PM
M
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
M
I love it when I'm reading a new story and I realize it's a premise I've never seen before. It's a lovely extra thrill.

And I adore first person POV!

While he certainly has an effect on me, Superman's never actually made me *faint* before.
This made me smile because I can detect a slight undertone of disgust - Lois Lane doesn't faint, period! (Despite the odd choices TPTB might make in the movieverse.)

Why in the world did Superman transfer some of his powers to me? And how? Did he do it on purpose?
That's a whole 'nother fic idea right there!

"Cut it out," I tell him. "I'm still me. Don't treat me any differently just because I could squish your head the next time you irritate me."
clap Great Lois line!

"When Dr. Klein said that my powers had transferred to you," Superman says haltingly. "He meant it literally."
Give him a (gentle) hug, Lois. He needs it!

It's the oddest sensation, being completely surrounded by the noise and din of humanity and yet feeling isolated.
Great insight.

"You teach me how to fly and I'll gladly give your powers back when Dr. Klein figures out how to reverse us."
I get that she enjoys the powers, but would she really have not given them back? I hope not.

"I jumped and it was just as terrifying and amazing as people had claimed.
We, of course, know this is Clark. But without that knowledge, it must be very strange to hear Superman call something "terrifying".

So I jumped - only that time I stopped myself before I hit the water. I did a few times, actually. Jumped, stopped before the water, and then flew back to the edge. It was exhilarating. I don't know that anything has ever matched that feeling of being absolutely free."
Wonderful story.

For some odd reason I'm imagining that his parents look like Clark's. I can easily imagine Clark coming home dripping wet, still pleased with himself, even though he knows he's about to catch hell for being reckless.
Go with that, Lois.

"Come on, I promise I won't drop you. This is the coolest thing that's ever happened to me, and I want someone to share it with. Fly with me, Clark. Please?"
I love this in so many ways. The excitement, the trust, the friendship.

Lovely story, JDG. Aside from being a good read, it's also very insightful. I think Lois is going to come out of this knowing a lot more about herself and Clark and Superman, even if it doesn't involve the revelation.

I'm looking forward to part two!

lisa in the sky with diamonds
Features Writer
Features Writer
YAY! I am so glad to see you posted! This story is great!

"I didn't realize you were taking me to dinner tonight." I don't hide the irritation in my voice. After all, he did abandon me halfway through dinner last night. Sure, he was paged by a source and had to leave.
I like this, that she’s making him work for her attention. I always appreciated that when Lois started having real issues with Clark’s disappearing act toward the end of Season 2, she really was a biznatch to him at work.

For a dizzying couple of seconds I think he's finally realized that he's desperately in love with me. He pulls me firmly against him and turns us swiftly.
Ha! Could you imagine her shock if he had kissed her?

I want to say something, but there's a roaring sound in my ears and the world feels pink and fuzzy around the edges.
PINK! smile1

Only I can't seem to stand up and I'm horrified to realize that I'm about to faint. While he certainly has an effect on me, Superman's never actually made me *faint* before.
I love that she rationalizes that he hasn’t actually made her faint before. Swoon? Yes. Shake? Yes. But faint. No. Definitely not. I love that she uses it as a justification of sorts, that she's still being completely rational. Riiigghhtt.

As we walk to the elevator, I can scarcely wait to be alone with him. There are so many questions to ask him, not to mention that it's amazing to know that we're equals now. As soon as the doors slide shut I turn to him and ask, "Why did you do it?"
If I were her, I’d have mauled him right there in the elevator. I mean with the super powers, she'd definitely have an advantage. laugh

"People will start calling me 'super-journalist'."
I think people should start calling me that, too! I love this line! It’s SO Lois!

“No.” He breaks into a laugh. “Flying is not a state of mind.”
I love this. That he can’t help laughing despite the situation. And it sounds very Clark, even though he's Superman at this moment.

I open my eyes and realize that I'm now a few inches taller than he is. I glance down and feel myself start to dip. No! I hurriedly push out another breath and it works - I rise higher into the room. The higher I go, the more giddy I am.

"See, you're a natural." He sounds delighted.
That’s adorable. He’s upset about losing his powers, but at the same time, he’s happy that Lois is good at flying. It shows just how much he loves -- and respects -- her.

"Come on, I promise I won't drop you. This is the coolest thing that's ever happened to me, and I want someone to share it with. Fly with me, Clark. Please?"

He reaches out and takes my hand. "All right."
:::shiver::: I love that she went there and asked him to go flying with her. I mean she very well could have asked Superman to go, but she wants Clark.

I can’t wait for Part 2!

Clark: "You don't even know the meaning of the word 'humility,' do you?"

Lois: "Never had a need to find out its meaning."

"Curiosity... The Continuing Saga"
Top Banana
Top Banana
That was great. I can't wait to see Lois' reaction when she finds out Superman is really Clark. That's assuming she does...
Bring on part 2.

When Life Gives You Green Velvet Curtains, Make a Green Velvet Dress.
Kerth
Kerth
Weird thought - every version of this story I've seen has the powers going back to Clark - what if they don't, and Lois ends up as the only one with superpowers, and immune to kryptonite?

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Oh, this was adorable! I love it. I hope Lois won't have to give up her powers just as soon as she got them. But in any case, this was irresistible.

I love how you wrote how Clark learnt to fly, and how Lois learnt to fly. Both descriptions were awesome and just perfect. I could just feel the situations in my guts. And I could certainly feel this:

After I get home, it takes me almost half an hour to work up the courage to climb outside my window. My knees shake as I crawl out onto the ledge. I take a deep breath and let my feet dangle. I can't do it. I know I can fly - really I do, but I just can't jump. I close my eyes, let out another breath and push away from the ledge.
Scary scary scary!!!

Nothing happens.

I open my eyes and there's the street, five stories below me. I don't fall - I just hover there in delighted wonder. It's one thing to fly with the floor just below you. It's another to float this high above the ground.
Oh wow!!! That's amazing!!!

For almost a minute I stay there, watching the cars and people pass below me. Then I lift higher, above the roof of my building, my confidence increasing with every passing second. I fly - FLY! - in the direction of the one person with whom I simply have to share this.
She's going to tell Clark. That's lovely.

Aaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!! sloppy sloppy sloppy sloppy

Come back soon with more!!!

Ann

C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
I loved this.

However, I can see this 'backfiring' on Clark [that's not quite the right word, but I was up all night with a baby so...]. Lois has had powers for what? A day? now. Something like that and Clark knows all about it. I'm not certain how far we are into the series, but my thoughts were early S3/no revelation because that's when UW was but I could be wrong on that. At least late S2 and so when Lois figures out the whole Clark=Superman thing... not happy. Though she will have a whole new appreciation for them and what his life is like.

Next part... today?
Carol

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Great story! This is my favorite part:
I hold my hand out to him. "Wanna fly with me?"

Clark doesn't say a word. He just stares at me.

This reminds me of the "Can You Read My Mind?" flying sequence in the first Superman movie, while Christopher Reeve and Margot Kidder slipped the surly bonds of earth together. (Just a thought, but if Clark wanted Lois to love Clark instead of Superman, why would he take her flying?) So Lois taking Clark flying is not only a brilliant role reversal, it's so telling! Lois chooses to share her new-found joy with the one person she'd like to be closer to: Clark.

Not Superman. Besides, he already knows how it feels to fly.

Just a thought. If Clark tells Lois the secret while they're up in the air, will she drop him off on an abandoned South Seas island and fly away? She'd be mad enough to do it!

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
Sweet story. There are so many possibilities for their future, and yet you take us on such a delightful journey that I wouldn't want to go down those streets without you.

Elisabeth

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
LaraMoon graciously read this repeatedly [...]
You say that like it was a chore or something. I read through it a few times, sure, but I loved it every time. smile

"Well, you're a modern kind of girl. If you wanted to take me to dinner instead, I wouldn't say 'no'."
Call me crazy, but for some reason, I find this absolutely adorable!

Two seconds after the elevator doors shut, I realize that a child down a well practically guarantees me a glimpse of the only man more mysterious than Clark Kent.
mmmm... *dreamy sigh* Superman...!

(haha! admit it, you thought I was gonna ask if Batman was about to show up.)

For a dizzying couple of seconds I think he's finally realized that he's desperately in love with me.
LOL! Poor Lois - if she knew how long it's been since he's realized that. hehehe! I love the irony!

"Cut it out," I tell him. "I'm still me. Don't treat me any differently just because I could squish your head the next time you irritate me."
This is one of the best lines. smile So very, very Lois. I can totally hear her saying that.

I loved Clark's story about how he realized he could fly. And I like the fact that it's Superman telling the story, because it suddenly makes him so much more human than the image we have of him. It's really sweet. smile

His eyebrows furrow and he shrugs. "If I had to lose my powers, Lois, I'm glad they went to you."
Awww!!

And more awww! That's just too adorable for words, even. /insert very big smile here.

So now... when is part 2 going to be in my inbox? huh? huh? wink *giggles*

Superman: Why is it that good villains never die?
Batman: Clark, what the hell are good villains?
=> Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
J
JDG Offline
Blogger
Blogger
J
Thank you all so much! It gives me the warm fuzzies to see such long and thoughtful feedback! laugh
I get that she enjoys the powers, but would she really have not given them back? I hope not.
Not once she realized that she was the only one who had them. And, uh, she hasn't realized the downside to those powers just yet. Like you said, Lisa, she's going to come out of this with a greater appreciation for her cape-clad buddy.
Ha! Could you imagine her shock if he had kissed her?
Hee, Jenn, I believe that would be an entirely different story.
If I were her, I’d have mauled him right there in the elevator. I mean with the super powers, she'd definitely have an advantage.
LOL! And that would definitely be a different story, too. Probably in a different folder. wink
Weird thought - every version of this story I've seen has the powers going back to Clark - what if they don't, and Lois ends up as the only one with superpowers, and immune to kryptonite?
Oooo! That would be fun to write, Marcus!
I love how you wrote how Clark learnt to fly, and how Lois learnt to fly. Both descriptions were awesome and just perfect.
Thanks, Ann! I'm glad you liked it.
I'm not certain how far we are into the series
It's in the author's note at the beginning, Carol. This is late season two. smile
when Lois figures out the whole Clark=Superman thing... not happy. Though she will have a whole new appreciation for them and what his life is like.
If she has a whole new appreciation for what his life is like, who's to say that it wouldn't translate into an appreciation for WHY he keeps that aspect of his life "secret"?
Just a thought, but if Clark wanted Lois to love Clark instead of Superman, why would he take her flying?
Exactly, Terry! That, I think, is why Clark never took Lois flying until after she knew his secret.
If Clark tells Lois the secret while they're up in the air, will she drop him off on an abandoned South Seas island and fly away?
Hee! Or maybe just drop him?
There are so many possibilities for their future, and yet you take us on such a delightful journey that I wouldn't want to go down those streets without you.
Awww! Thanks, Elisabeth!
(haha! admit it, you thought I was gonna ask if Batman was about to show up.)
I believe you did mention Batman in your beta notes… wink Thanks, Lara, for picking out two of my favorite lines ("modern girl" and "squish your head").

Thanks again to everyone for replying. I appreciate your kind words more than you know. sloppy

Perry: Jimmy, do you know what a man needs at a time like this?
Jimmy: A baseball bat and an alibi?
Church of Metropolis
Features Writer
Features Writer
I thought this was a kickass premise from the minute I saw it. And also, I've been very vocal about my love for first person Lois. Oh the snark. *happy sigh* Like here:

Except that he *has* kissed me good night - several times now - and he definitely wasn't shy about it.
The tone comes through crystal clear. But apart from the snark and sassiness, I like how Lois has these incredibly perceptive insights. Like when she reads Clark being worried he messed up when he skipped on their date or here:

Superman is still smiling, but I wonder if this is hard for him - watching me do what he was born to do.
I also liked the story that Clark tells her about learning to fly. It fit in so well, I could definitely see it and it was adorable smile

I can't wait for more.

alcyone

One loses so many laughs by not laughing at oneself - Sara Jeannette Duncan
http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/myl/llog/duty_calls.png
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Oh, I'm hooked! First-person Lois!

Clark leans forward, resting his forearms on my desk, and gives me a smile that makes it nearly impossible to resist him. "Well, you're a modern kind of girl. If you wanted to take me to dinner instead, I wouldn't say 'no'."
Haha.

I barely have the words out before Superman drops the doll and grabs my shoulders.
Ooh, a transfer of powers before Lois knows? Smells like a great story to me!

LOL, that's great. And could be a prelude the real conversation they need to have later. Clark certainly doesn't want to be treated any differently...

grin at Superman, absolutely delighted with this gift. "Do you have any idea how useful this is going to be? I can see through walls and hear conversations now. People will start calling me 'super-journalist'."

Superman looks like he's fighting a smile as he answers. "Yes, it's very useful."
Chuckle, if only you knew, Lois...

Awww. That was really kind of cute!

Looking forward to seeing where this goes!
JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
What an adorable story. I am enjoying this very much. Keep it coming. Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
A
Features Writer
Features Writer
A
I'm disappointed. As I was drawing to the close of this chapter, I consoled myself that it was possible the next part was already up, but it's not. Hurry back!

The premise for this is great and I love Lois in this. She is so very real.

My very favorite part, although it's hard to pick just one, was this though:

Then I lift higher, above the roof of my building, my confidence increasing with every passing second. I fly - FLY! - in the direction of the one person with whom I simply have to share this.
It's so telling.

Blogger
Blogger
Hey girl! So happy to see you post another story...

Disappointed that you didn't immediately tell me about it... have I fallen from your good graces? wink

Okay... I started not to quote anything because I'm subbing at work today and well... that's another story. But I couldn't help myself! There were so many good quotable parts. laugh

Discombobulated
First off... just let me say that I LOVE that word. Hee hee. Cracks me up every time I read it.

Clark wriggles and I worry that I'm going to drop him. As soon as I set him down, he stumbles backward and stares at me in disbelief. He's even paler now - I hope I didn't give him vertigo when I picked him up.
I totally laughed out loud here... Lois worried about giving Clark vertigo - and poor Clark...

I pick up the camera as Clark watches me with dazed curiosity. "Cut it out," I tell him. "I'm still me. Don't treat me any differently just because I could squish your head the next time you irritate me."
LOL *snicker* You had me laughing so many times during this part.

"Strength. I, uh, I pushed a heavy desk across the floor like it was nothing. And the hearing. I can hear people talking all around us right now."

"It's probably best if you don't listen in," Dr. Klein says with a frown. "I'm not sure what your security clearance is."

"Oh, I'm not! It's just background noise, really. I didn't even realize I was hearing other people until someone said my name when I shouldn't have been able to hear them. It caught my attention."
Ha ha ha! "I'm not sure what your security clearance is" - PRICELESS!!! Pure Klein.

"Avoid others? Are you kidding me? Am I supposed to barricade myself in my apartment for the rest of my life?"

Dr. Klein looks offended that I'm taking this so harshly. "Only for a day or two. Until we can set things right."

"Right? Set what right? Did you miss the part where I said that I *enjoy* having these powers?"
*snicker* Yeah - because who of us WOULDN'T enjoy having them? Or want to give them back...

Oh, yeah... um... poor Superman...

"Maybe you're thinking too hard about it?" he suggests.

"Thinking too hard? But isn't that how you fly? You think happy thoughts it just happens?"

"No." He breaks into a laugh. "I'm not Peter Pan and there's no fairy dust involved."
*giggling hysterically* Loved that.

Awwww *sniffles* that part was so sweet! Lois taking Clark for a fly for once, instead.

But, um... I hope he doesn't decide to make any revelations to her during their flight... she might just drop him. wink

Great story, JDG. Looking forward to the 2nd part. (what? Only 2 parts? Really???)

-- SLC

Lois: Are you challenging me?
Clark: You bet your sweet little chumpy I am.
Columnist
Columnist
Ahem... Time to break out the wildguy wildguy wildguy

Where is the next part for this story? I want to find out what happens!

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard