Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#47961 11/05/07 11:15 AM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
God, can she really be that thick? Right in front of your face Lois!!! Come ON!

Well done on posting your first fic here. clap
I'm glad to see it's part 1 of ? so maybe she'll catch on eventually - she usually does.

[Linked Image]

When Life Gives You Green Velvet Curtains, Make a Green Velvet Dress.
#47962 11/05/07 11:25 AM
Blogger
Blogger
YAY! Someone got the mermaid joke... laugh Thank you for my first review!

And yes, she is definitely a bit thick here... I promise she'll get better. smile

#47963 11/05/07 11:38 AM
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
"Clark... you're wearing a Superman outfit under here, aren't you?"
OMG! Lois thinks he's wearing a costume!

Really, as she saw the way everyone was reacting to it, Clark's costume was perfect. It was a way to poke a little fun at how everyone talked about her "relationship" with Superman - one that absolutely didn't exist. Lois pushed down the little voice that said, Yeah, you wish the rumors were true, though, don't you? She gave the room a broad smile and purposefully took Clark by the arm, walking proudly through the crowd. Their co-workers chuckled and murmured as the reporting team passed them on the way to the refreshments.
This is great. But I'm not sure Lois would have gone for it if the idea had been suggested beforehand.

(Cat) turned and sauntered away, calling over her shoulder, "Let me know if you want to trade that cold fish for a hot tiger..."
That is a pitch perfect Cat Grant line!

And that kiss! ACK! There had better be more to this young lady!

Seriously, Barb, I'm so glad you posted this. It's great stuff. smile

lisa in the sky with diamonds
#47964 11/05/07 11:57 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Ooo--I loved this! I was on pins and needles the whole time waiting for someone to put 2 and 2 together. (Why, it's 22 of course!) And that kiss! Yummy!! I can't wait for part 2!

#47965 11/05/07 11:57 AM
A
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
A
Very cute! Loved it!

#47966 11/05/07 12:31 PM
Kerth
Kerth
Great story. I'm hooked. smile

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
#47967 11/05/07 12:44 PM
Blogger
Blogger
Orignally posted by MrsMosley:
This is great. But I'm not sure Lois would have gone for it if the idea had been suggested beforehand.

And that kiss! ACK! There had better be more to this young lady!

Seriously, Barb, I'm so glad you posted this. It's great stuff. smile
I think you're right - Lois would never have gone for it... but she knows when to make the best of a bad situation, right? wink

There is definitely going to be more. But how much more I'm not sure! Thanks for encouraging me! sloppy

Originally posted by Mercy:
Ooo--I loved this! I was on pins and needles the whole time waiting for someone to put 2 and 2 together. (Why, it's 22 of course!) And that kiss! Yummy!! I can't wait for part 2!
22 is right! Sometimes I think the obvious slides right by her. I enjoyed writing the kiss too. Thanks for reviewing!

Originally posted by Angie:
Very cute! Loved it!
Thanks! It was very funny to write, I enjoy the more humorous episodes in the series. laugh

Originally posted by Lara Joelle Kent:
Great story. I'm hooked. smile
Hooked? Excellent! I'll be sure to add some more very soon. smile

#47968 11/05/07 02:34 PM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Hmmmm. That great comic book picture of Superman and the mermaid is from the sixties, the Silver Age, when I started reading comics. And the mermaid is Lori Lemaris, and not Lois at all! frown

Back then, Lois was not galactically stupid at all, but instead she was convinced that Clark Kent was Superman. She kept trying to prove it, but he always used his superpowers to thwart her attempts. He was really rather cruel to her in those days. When LNC:TNAOS was created, the producers decided to make Lois galactically stupid instead, so that Clark wouldn't have to be cruel to fool her. But I'm just having the hardest time with galactically stupid Lois! She isn't my Lois at all!

Anyway, the idea that Clark should have to dress up like Superman (and try to look like Clark-in-a-Superman-costume, and not like the real Superman at all) is so funny. I had a lot of fun at how you wrote Clark (and Lois) in that situation. clap

Another creation of the show, apart from galactically stupid Lois, is drunk Lois. She is not exactly a favorite of mine either, but I really had a lot of fun at this:

Images began to assault her senses then, and she suddenly remembered that Clark had been dressed as Superman tonight. She gasped, pulling back. Who had she just been kissing?

But before she could really think about that, he kissed her again. Hell, it doesn't matter who it is.
That's right, Lois! It doesn't matter which of Clark or Superman you kiss, as long as you are kissing one of them! rotflol

I, too, am glad to see that this is just part one. I'm looking forward to seeing where you will be taking this!

Ann

#47969 11/06/07 12:09 AM
Blogger
Blogger
Originally posted by TOC:
Hmmmm. That great comic book picture of Superman and the mermaid is from the sixties, the Silver Age, when I started reading comics. And the mermaid is Lori Lemaris, and not Lois at all! frown
Oh, yes, I know that the mermaid was Lori Lemaris. But since Lori never appeared on the show, I decided to make the "mermaid look" Lois' costume for a little metatextual humor. smile

Back then, Lois was not galactically stupid at all, but instead she was convinced that Clark Kent was Superman. She kept trying to prove it, but he always used his superpowers to thwart her attempts. He was really rather cruel to her in those days.
I rather enjoy looking at those old comics - Lois was such a schemer, and Superman such a... well, I'm sure you know the modern term. It's hard for me to wrap my head around reconciling modern-day Lois with Silver Age Lois sometimes, but it's still interesting.

When LNC:TNAOS was created, the producers decided to make Lois galactically stupid instead, so that Clark wouldn't have to be cruel to fool her. But I'm just having the hardest time with galactically stupid Lois! She isn't my Lois at all!
I much prefer a smart Lois, too, more in line with the Lois we saw in later seasons. But this plot bunny demanded to be set in Season 1, and I tried to keep in character with that season in this piece. Plus, I don't mind a little hyperbole in a humorous fic. wink

Anyway, the idea that Clark should have to dress up like Superman (and try to look like Clark-in-a-Superman-costume, and not like the real Superman at all) is so funny. I had a lot of fun at how you wrote Clark (and Lois) in that situation. clap
Thanks! I did go for the laughs a bit in this situation, glad you enjoyed.

Another creation of the show, apart from galactically stupid Lois, is drunk Lois. She is not exactly a favorite of mine either, but I really had a lot of fun at this:

Images began to assault her senses then, and she suddenly remembered that Clark had been dressed as Superman tonight. She gasped, pulling back. Who had she just been kissing?

But before she could really think about that, he kissed her again. Hell, it doesn't matter who it is.
That's right, Lois! It doesn't matter which of Clark or Superman you kiss, as long as you are kissing one of them! rotflol

I, too, am glad to see that this is just part one. I'm looking forward to seeing where you will be taking this!

Ann
Thanks for the encouragement. I really do appreciate when people take the time to point out issues they have, but yet still want to keep reading. *hugs*

#47970 11/06/07 05:15 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I've been a bit MIA lately, but I just wanted to pop in to say that I'm loving this story so far. I can't wait to see where you go with it. Can we hope that a revelation is in store for Lois? laugh

~Anna.

Lois: Jimmy, give me back my dress.
Clark: Now there's something you don't hear around the newsroom everyday.
#47971 11/07/07 03:52 PM
Blogger
Blogger
Originally posted by princessanna:
I've been a bit MIA lately, but I just wanted to pop in to say that I'm loving this story so far. I can't wait to see where you go with it. Can we hope that a revelation is in store for Lois? laugh

~Anna.
Thanks for reading, Anna! I think you have much cause to hope. smile

#47972 11/09/07 07:56 PM
T
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
T
Here's my $0.02:

Silver age Lois was never really developed as a character - she was a stereotypical woman who never listened and only wanted to get married. She never wanted anything else. I prefer the LNC:TNAOS Lois because she actually wants something - several things - respect, freedom, independence as well as the guy in tights and her best friend. And of course the LNC Lois is flawed - so she should be. Clark is flawed isn't he? How can Lois be expected to be perfect? And I don't think she's stupid - she spends the rest of her time trying to outthink criminals and the like to get a story and her colleagues to maintain her position, so when a fantasy presents itself why wouldn't she want to put the logical thinking on hold and escape into it. She loves both men damn it and he's always presented himself as two very similar but seperate men to her - how else is she supposed to think? It's not just her, he's fooling either.

Right rant over.

Mermaid reference was awesome. I don't like Lori at all usually but that was more the fault of the writers - she deserves better writers - all the women deserved better writers in the past.

I think you captured her confusion at the end very well? Clark? Superman? Kiss? What? But I doubt that it would have just been Cat Grant's comments that propelled her towards getting drunk. Drunk Lois only seems to come out when she is upset about something because she has her mother's past to scare out of getting drunk for any other reason. (I'm not sure I put that right but I hope it's comprehensible). Was it Superman not showing up? Maybe it was a combo of that and Cat trying to nick Clark away the whole night?

And I can't wait for the aftermath when she wakes up and realises who she kissed? As in Clark? Or Clark who is also Superman? He's in trouble!!!!

Waiting in anticipation, (and apologies for the rant),

The Little Tornado.

The Little Tornado is ....

Marisa Wikramanayake
Freelance Writer & Editor,
Board Member of SoEWA and Writing WA
http://www.marisa.com.au
#47973 11/11/07 04:15 PM
Blogger
Blogger
Originally posted by The Little Tornado:
Here's my $0.02:

Silver age Lois was never really developed as a character - she was a stereotypical woman who never listened and only wanted to get married. She never wanted anything else. I prefer the LNC:TNAOS Lois because she actually wants something - several things - respect, freedom, independence as well as the guy in tights and her best friend. And of course the LNC Lois is flawed - so she should be. Clark is flawed isn't he? How can Lois be expected to be perfect? And I don't think she's stupid - she spends the rest of her time trying to outthink criminals and the like to get a story and her colleagues to maintain her position, so when a fantasy presents itself why wouldn't she want to put the logical thinking on hold and escape into it. She loves both men damn it and he's always presented himself as two very similar but seperate men to her - how else is she supposed to think? It's not just her, he's fooling either.

Right rant over.
Rant duly enjoyed! I fully support your right to rant within FDK... actually I like it, because somehow my little story inspired it... is that strange? *shrugs*

Mermaid reference was awesome. I don't like Lori at all usually but that was more the fault of the writers - she deserves better writers - all the women deserved better writers in the past.
Even in the present - Lori's recent storyline in Superman Confidential was very unflattering to say the least. Never mind that it was supposedly mind-control.

I think you captured her confusion at the end very well? Clark? Superman? Kiss? What? But I doubt that it would have just been Cat Grant's comments that propelled her towards getting drunk. Drunk Lois only seems to come out when she is upset about something because she has her mother's past to scare out of getting drunk for any other reason. (I'm not sure I put that right but I hope it's comprehensible). Was it Superman not showing up? Maybe it was a combo of that and Cat trying to nick Clark away the whole night?
Oh, yes, there was a lot more at work than Cat's comments, but a lot of it was working below the surface. I'm hoping to let Lois slowly figure out why the hell she did it, especially since I cut that scene completely out of Ch. 1. Lois doesn't really remember, so the reader won't really see it until she does.

And I can't wait for the aftermath when she wakes up and realises who she kissed? As in Clark? Or Clark who is also Superman? He's in trouble!!!!

Waiting in anticipation, (and apologies for the rant),

The Little Tornado.
I'm about 500 words into the next part - I hope to get the rest pretty soon, but I have some other writing commitments. Hopefully they'll leave me time for this one! Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it. smile

#47974 11/21/07 09:37 PM
T
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
T
Rant duly enjoyed! I fully support your right to rant within FDK... actually I like it, because somehow my little story inspired it... is that strange? *shrugs*
No, I think it would be quite an ego boost to know that what you said or wrote ages ago has inspired a discussion. I could be greedy and admit that I wish my posts did that but I get such wonderful FDK that I'd immediately feel guilty! :-D

Even in the present - Lori's recent storyline in Superman Confidential was very unflattering to say the least. Never mind that it was supposedly mind-control.
Not even heard of Superman Confidential - assuming it is a new comic book. I need to get my hands on the comic books starting with the ones from the 30s - are they reprinting them in annuals or collections? It would be awesome if I got an original but I only want to read them at the moment so even a collection is fine. I also want to start reading the Batman ones. And if anyone knows where to get the DVD boxsets for the Adam West Batman Live Action TV series please let me know?

I don't know what is wrong with comic book writers sometimes - it's like they don't think logically about the characters at all half the time. We should form a protest group so that all the characters are written better. Grrrr.... And you know what, I didn't agree with everything Deborah Joy Levine did for the show but she was one of the best damn writers they had and she had to leave after the first season. Arrrghhh. She didn't want them to get together till the fifth season and had she stayed we would have more of Clark to gawk at. It could have run for years more. Gone more slowly, given us more thrills. Explored everything much better. Arrrrghhhh....

... OK, I'll shut up now.

Oh, yes, there was a lot more at work than Cat's comments, but a lot of it was working below the surface. I'm hoping to let Lois slowly figure out why the hell she did it, especially since I cut that scene completely out of Ch. 1. Lois doesn't really remember, so the reader won't really see it until she does.
Oh good, for a moment there I thought either a) missed it completely or b) read it and did give it the significance I should have because of cultural differences or something. Flashback!!! Yay!!!!

I'm about 500 words into the next part - I hope to get the rest pretty soon, but I have some other writing commitments. Hopefully they'll leave me time for this one! Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it. [Smile]
We appreciate your writing so it's all good. Do you know that all I have thought about the entire week is that the only thing I have to do with myself at the moment is get up and come to the library and get onto the boards to read fanfic or post? My life is boring when the library is closed - I so need internet at home. What am I supposed to do between 9 pm and 8:15 am? (Don't say sleep.) I mean, yes my kitchen is a mess, I need to pack my bags, I should cook instead of getting takeaway and wasting my cash but.... waaaah I want internet at home. And my boyfriend back to take care of things.

I need a vacation .... with internet ... in preferably a non airconditioned environment so I don't have to have my fingers freeze when I type and I can be all snuggly and warm especially when I get to read the next installment of this story....

Can't wait! Can't wait!

Cheers, The Little Tornado.

The Little Tornado is ....

Marisa Wikramanayake
Freelance Writer & Editor,
Board Member of SoEWA and Writing WA
http://www.marisa.com.au
#47975 11/22/07 10:40 AM
Features Writer
Features Writer
Very fun! I'm looking forward to seeing what will happen next. Other than Clark stopping Lois from taking off his glasses, he's going along with it, which did surprise me. Yes, he's slouching a bit, and in the process making the 'Suit' look more like an imitation...but I still would have thought that he would be deathly afraid that someone might recognize him, even if Lois didn't. smile He can only change his appearance and demeanor so much...

And to now throw in my $0.02 to clear up a couple of possible misconceptions from the feedback...

I never felt throughout the first two seasons that Lois was being portrayed as 'galactically stupid' because she couldn't see past Clark's alter ego. Yes, Tempus called her that, but it's a lot easier for him to make fun of her when he's been privy to the secret all along. Just like the rest of us. We all know that Clark Kent is Superman, so we wonder how on Earth that more people in Metropolis didn't figure it out. There was more of a differentiation (appearance, mannerisms, etc.) in the movies between the Clark and Superman characters, yet anyone of us watching can still say "Gee, those two look almost like twins". The whole premise requires a certain suspension of belief that we've all lived with very happily for almost 70 years now; I haven't read any comics, so I don't know how Lois has been portrayed there during different periods, but I don't think the show portrayed her as any dumber than anyone else about this issue. One can wonder why she didn't turn those sharp investigative skills of hers to bear when faced with some questionable circumstances, but Lois was human, and totally bowled over by the flying god that she met. That doesn't make her stupid, but a bit "blinded by love", as H.G. Wells said.

Another creation of the show, apart from galactically stupid Lois, is drunk Lois.
Actually, "drunk Lois" is more a creation of fanfic than the show. IIRC, there is only one episode that featured Lois getting a little tipsy, which was "I'm Looking Through You" - the one with the invisible man - where Lois was drowning her sorrows after she lost the auction for a date with Superman, and he walked right past her without acknowledging her. That is all I can think of - please someone correct me if I've forgotten something.

Now, maybe that is the only time in comics or movies or TV series that we have ever seen a drunk Lois, but I'd hardly say that the show "created" her. Based on her unhappiness at that moment, it wouldn't be unusual for her - or any other human - to consider taking a drink or two. That doesn't mean that one should do it, but it's hardly a major failing if it happens occasionally. We've all read several fanfics where Lois gets tipsy/drunk, but then it's usually under similar circumstances as well. The scene worked very well for me, and I'm really curious to see, the next morning, who Lois has decided was the one to have kissed her that night...

Kathy

"Our thoughts form the universe. They always matter." - Babylon 5
#47976 12/01/07 03:01 PM
Blogger
Blogger
I apologize for only now getting to this FDK! *blush*

Originally posted by KathyM:
Very fun! I'm looking forward to seeing what will happen next. Other than Clark stopping Lois from taking off his glasses, he's going along with it, which did surprise me. Yes, he's slouching a bit, and in the process making the 'Suit' look more like an imitation...but I still would have thought that he would be deathly afraid that [b]someone might recognize him, even if Lois didn't. smile He can only change his appearance and demeanor so much...[/b]
Yes, it was fun to have Clark go along with it! laugh In my mind, Clark made a split-second decision there - go along with it or have to explain why it was there! smile

And to now throw in my $0.02 to clear up a couple of possible misconceptions from the feedback...

I never felt throughout the first two seasons that Lois was being portrayed as 'galactically stupid' because she couldn't see past Clark's alter ego. Yes, Tempus called her that, but it's a lot easier for him to make fun of her when he's been privy to the secret all along. Just like the rest of us. We all know that Clark Kent is Superman, so we wonder how on Earth that more people in Metropolis didn't figure it out. There was more of a differentiation (appearance, mannerisms, etc.) in the movies between the Clark and Superman characters, yet anyone of us watching can still say "Gee, those two look almost like twins". The whole premise requires a certain suspension of belief that we've all lived with very happily for almost 70 years now; I haven't read any comics, so I don't know how Lois has been portrayed there during different periods, but I don't think the show portrayed her as any dumber than anyone else about this issue. One can wonder why she didn't turn those sharp investigative skills of hers to bear when faced with some questionable circumstances, but Lois was human, and totally bowled over by the flying god that she met. That doesn't make her stupid, but a bit "blinded by love", as H.G. Wells said.
I think Lois is usually portrayed as being a bit blind to Clark, and sometimes very unfairly. But I agree with what you just said - thanks for adding to the discussion! *hugs*

Another creation of the show, apart from galactically stupid Lois, is drunk Lois.
Actually, "drunk Lois" is more a creation of fanfic than the show. IIRC, there is only one episode that featured Lois getting a little tipsy, which was "I'm Looking Through You" - the one with the invisible man - where Lois was drowning her sorrows after she lost the auction for a date with Superman, and he walked right past her without acknowledging her. That is [b]all
I can think of - please someone correct me if I've forgotten something.

Now, maybe that is the only time in comics or movies or TV series that we have ever seen a drunk Lois, but I'd hardly say that the show "created" her. Based on her unhappiness at that moment, it wouldn't be unusual for her - or any other human - to consider taking a drink or two. That doesn't mean that one should do it, but it's hardly a major failing if it happens occasionally. We've all read several fanfics where Lois gets tipsy/drunk, but then it's usually under similar circumstances as well. The scene worked very well for me, and I'm really curious to see, the next morning, who Lois has decided was the one to have kissed her that night...

Kathy [/b]
I personally don't have a good enough memory to know if "drunk Lois" appeared in any other episode. But I do think that it is certainly in character for her to sometimes throw caution to the wind, even if she regrets it later. Her risk-taking personality is a lot of what endears us to her, right?

Thank you for your lovely comments! At this point I have about 1000 words written. Many other writing commitments are keeping me from focusing on it, but it is being worked on slowly, I promise! smile

#47977 12/26/07 04:55 AM
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Niiice. How is the writing to part 2 coming along?

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
#47978 12/26/07 04:50 PM
Blogger
Blogger
Originally posted by Darth_Michael:
Niiice. How is the writing to part 2 coming along?

Michael
Thanks! And *sigh* 1300 words. It's all these other commitments... I participated in three Xmas fic challenges, and wrote a BUNCH of gift fics (mostly Superman Returns stuff, but various other fandoms as well). I still have a few more to go! *sighs again*

But I vow there will be another part coming when this is all over. smile

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard