Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#46160 09/11/07 10:44 AM
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
Great work there! Very nice little fic, I enjoyed reading it smile I like your portrayal of Cat, it shows a depth we rarely saw in the show yet must have been there smile

Keep up the good work!

See ya,
AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
#46161 09/11/07 10:56 AM
A
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
A
Great story. I almost would've like it better though if Cat had figured out his secret identity from the clues--his absences, etc.--rather than actually seeing him in an alley. I hope that we'll get that sequel because I would love to revisit this Cat.

#46162 09/11/07 10:58 AM
J
JDG Offline
Blogger
Blogger
J
But I honestly thought that Lois compared so unfavorably with Cat in this story that Clark would be stupid to choose her over Cat. And I do find it very painful when Lois comes through looking like the wrong woman for Clark to marry.
Here's the thing about Lois, especially in the first couple of seasons of the show -- she was very real and very flawed and that is what made the character so compelling to me. If Lois had been perfect, the show wouldn't have sucked me in like it did. I tell myself that it was her dual-nature that so fascinated Clark in the beginning. Because, frankly, she wasn't very lovable (especially to Clark). And THAT is what made the show so much fun - at least for me.

Sure, I knew it was inevitable that they would get together, but it seemed so unlikely in the beginning. And yet, there was a spark and lots of banter and chemistry between them, which just made it so sweet and full of promise that eventually, someday, somehow, they were going to get *there*. For me, the journey to get *there* was a lot more fun than after they had reached *there* (ie, the 3rd and 4th seasons).

It's the uncertainties that makes life so interesting. Not the definites. That's why I let Clark have just a moment to wonder "what if?". YMMV. laugh

Perry: Jimmy, do you know what a man needs at a time like this?
Jimmy: A baseball bat and an alibi?
Church of Metropolis
#46163 09/11/07 02:06 PM
A
Features Writer
Features Writer
A
This was such a great and original idea. I liked this somewhat more introspective view of Cat. There had to be more to her than was shown on the show and this is a very nice way to round out her character.

#46164 09/11/07 03:22 PM
Blogger
Blogger
JDG! This was awesome!

I agree with what's been said about Lois. I think Ann's misunderstanding here is based on the fact that she hasn't watched many of the LnC episodes. Her Lois is based largely on other genre's - comic book Lois, movie Lois... etc...

This Lois is very unique in some ways.

Yes, she was a total beeyatch in the first season <shudders> I often wondered how they were ever going to make me "like" her. <g> I often times wondered what Clark could possibly see in her... except that she wasn't a dumb, shallow, flirtatious woman. She was worthy of being sought after. She was a challenge. Like someone pointed out - she had a duel identity of her own... a soft side that very few people had ever seen.

And because of all that... she won me over... eventually... and I rooted for her and Clark to be together.

But... ummm... getting back to your story. <g> I love that Cat figured it out - and better yet, kept it a secret!!! That was wonderfully delightful. I always thought there was a decency to CAT that was hidden - just beneath the surface.

Anyway, wonderful story! I truly enjoyed it.

More, I say. More.

Lois: Are you challenging me?
Clark: You bet your sweet little chumpy I am.
#46165 09/11/07 05:23 PM
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Ann wrote:

But I honestly thought that Lois compared so unfavorably with Cat in this story that Clark would be stupid to choose her over Cat. And I do find it very painful when Lois comes through looking like the wrong woman for Clark to marry.
Here's the thing about the kind of love that Clark has for Lois: it's for her only. It's not that he can't appreciate another woman's beauty or poise or intelligence or - in this case - her discretion, it's that he knows that Lois tops that other woman in so many other important categories that there's really no comparison. There's no way Clark would choose Cat over Lois (or fantasize about her years from now) over a single shared incident in their lives. This is one positive for Cat against thousands of positives for Lois. Lois wins again!

I liked the positive portrayal of Cat, and I really like how she kept the secret from Lois, despite the temptation to slap Lois in the face with it.

Cat is a beautiful, intelligent, creative, professionally skilled woman with a messed-up personal life, but she's a human being deserving of respect. This is an excellent bow of respect to Cat (and, I think, to Tracy Scoggins, who brought Cat Grant to life), and I'm happy you shared it with us.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
#46166 09/12/07 04:31 PM
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
Very well-written fic. You see a lot more in Cat than I ever did. Yet you present it beautifully and believably. I thought your first-season Lois was spot on. She never minced words in her dis-like for Cat--with the exception of the few moments where they bonded in Witness.

Elisabeth

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard