But I honestly thought that Lois compared so unfavorably with Cat in this story that Clark would be stupid to choose her over Cat. And I do find it very painful when Lois comes through looking like the wrong woman for Clark to marry.
Here's the thing about Lois, especially in the first couple of seasons of the show -- she was very real and very flawed and that is what made the character so compelling to me. If Lois had been perfect, the show wouldn't have sucked me in like it did. I tell myself that it was her dual-nature that so fascinated Clark in the beginning. Because, frankly, she wasn't very lovable (especially to Clark). And THAT is what made the show so much fun - at least for me.

Sure, I knew it was inevitable that they would get together, but it seemed so unlikely in the beginning. And yet, there was a spark and lots of banter and chemistry between them, which just made it so sweet and full of promise that eventually, someday, somehow, they were going to get *there*. For me, the journey to get *there* was a lot more fun than after they had reached *there* (ie, the 3rd and 4th seasons).

It's the uncertainties that makes life so interesting. Not the definites. That's why I let Clark have just a moment to wonder "what if?". YMMV. laugh

Perry: Jimmy, do you know what a man needs at a time like this?
Jimmy: A baseball bat and an alibi?
Church of Metropolis