Next Thread
Print Thread
R
Rac Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
R
Thank you everyone for your wonderful responses to Part 9. I'm glad that you appreciated that part, even though it meant the other shoe finally dropped. Sorry again for the delay in posting this part and thank you again for your patience and your kind words.

Regards,

Rac

rkn Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Somehow I thought the story was over so I am thrilled to see it continue because there is a lot left unresolved.

Looking forward to more! hyper

thanks!

rkn
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Rac, please understand that I have so very little time for feedback now (and I don't feel all that sure when I'm going to have a lot of time again). But I need to say that this was incredibly beautiful and absolutely heartbreaking. Lois and Clark have learned to reach out to each other physically, to make love:

"I love you," she managed to whisper as she tucked her head under his chin.

"I love you," he replied softly. "I…Lois, I love you so much." He stroked her hair and she hugged him just a little tighter, realizing that they were clinging to each other as though for dear life. And perhaps they were.
Heartbreakingly beautiful.

But the joining of their bodies is not a joining of their hearts and minds. It's not a celebration of their wordless communication of love and absolute trust in one another:

She'd held him silently until he'd fallen asleep. She wrapped her arms around him, willing their physical closeness to bridge the emotional gap between them. But no matter how close she held him, he wasn't with her. She could feel it. And whatever he'd said before, he hadn't made love to remember. He'd made love to forget. To forget something so awful he wouldn't talk to her about it.
He had made love to forget, to try to banish unspeakable horrors from his mind, heart and soul.

And he can't talk to Lois about those horrors:

Clark knew that he should tell her the whole awful, unbearable truth about what had happened on New Krypton, but he couldn't. He could barely stand to think about what happened, how could he talk to her about it? How could he look her in the eyes and tell her what had happened. How could he watch the disappointment settle on her face, and know that he was the cause? How could he put her through that? Although he had to admit, he didn't want to put himself through it, either. He couldn't bear it if her knowing meant that she didn't want to be with him any more, if what had happened was too much for her to accept. He needed her. Nothing was clearer than that.
How totally heartbreaking. Clark is looking at himself, and what he can see is a man who is at least temporarily a broken wreck, and he compares himself with Lois's seeming perfection. And he hates himself. And he can't bear to think of the horrors that he has been through, the horrors that broke him. I think there are two reasons, or three, why his mind shies away from what has happened to him. First, the awful memories of torture and unspeakable humiliation hurt too much. Second, he feels as if his reaction to that torture has sullied him and made him unworthy of Lois. And third, he is afraid that Lois will reject him if he tells her the truth about himself.

“It was a war, Mom,” he said. “It was ugly and brutal and I couldn't wait for it to end so I could come home.”

“Have you talked to Lois at all about it?” she asked gently.

Clark sighed in frustration. “She doesn't need to hear that crap…sorry,” he mumbled off his mother's sternly disapproving look.

“She does need to hear it, and you need to tell her about it. Lois is a strong woman and she's seen an awful lot. She can handle it, but I'm not sure she can handle you shutting her out.”
Clark flat out rejected his mother's advice, but it was a very good thing that she voiced her concerns about Lois to him. He is not going to forget what Martha said. I really think that Clark loves Lois so much that he is eventually going to understand that his mother is right. However, for now he isn't ready to talk about the horrors of New Krypton, and everyone is going to have to be patient.

I think that when Clark can finally tell Lois about his awful experiences on that distant world, Lois can open up to him, too, and unburden herself to him. As we all know, Lois went through her own private hell while Clark was gone, too.

Wonderful as always, Rac. I need to add, too, that the scenes with Jon and Clark were so poignant.

Ann

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

Great part! hyper

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
T
Blogger
Blogger
T
Another great chapter, Rac! I think if Lois is going to draw Clark out, she'll need to be the first to open up to him. Among other things, she should relate her own internal struggles against her near murderous rage against the rebel terrorists in Kinwara.

At this point, it seems Lois is the stronger partner in this marriage. And yet, Clark acquitted himself admirably on New Krypton and made some fast friends out there! He has absolutely NOTHING to be ashamed of about his actions on New Krypton. And it seems to me he has no more reason than Lois to "fall apart" now. They have both had a very rough time of it and without the mutual support from each other they had so come to rely on. If Clark's wife, his mom and dad can't get him to straighten up and fly right, maybe Perry or Jimmy could give him a good swift kick in the tuchas before he gets his powers back. Maybe that'll get Clark squared away.

When Clark finally gets his head on straight, I hope he will wear with pride his Kryptonian "Order of the Guardians" on his Superman outfit. His time on New Krypton is an experience he should share not only with his wife and his parents, but also with his son when he is older.

TagsNOLA

N
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
N
Pleeeeeeeeeeease, ma'am, can we have some more?

Blogger
Blogger
Hi,

First time sending amessage but have long been an admirer of the 'long road' series. Just wanted to say Rac, you're doing a fantastic job. Please write some more!!!

Blogger
Blogger
Where did everyone go?

PLEASE Rac, could you post the next chapter?

Blogger
Blogger
Wow,

Is this really my 3rd post in a row???? I miss everyone comments!!! PLEASE Rac, will you post the next instalment????

Pretty please????

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
I, too, am eager to see the next chapter, but Rac has done this before when real life turned into a tsunami. I'm not overly concerned, but perhaps one of us should send a personal e-mail. One of you step forward, please. Come on, come on. It's okay, no one will whack you. Oh, please!

I'll check back later. But really, Rac has been forced into long gaps between chapters before and has always come back eventually.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
R
Rac Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
R
Hi everyone. Things have indeed been very hectic as I've been traveling for the last month for work. I'm almost never home, which means no time to write or post. On top of that, I'm in the middle of the job hunt prospect as I try to leave private practice for academia. I will try to get back into the swing of things, but it may be a while.

Sorry.

Rac

I
Isa Offline
Blogger
Blogger
I
hyper
just looking to see if anything has happend... confused ... to see if there is any news about the next chapter ... confused .... well, will keep looking every once in a while! It's a great story so far.

Isa
R
Rac Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
R
My apologies again everyone for the incredible delay. I don't know if I'm going to have much time in the upcoming weeks, but I wanted to finally thank everyone for their comments and post the next section.

RKN, there really is quite a bit left, I hope that you stick around for the ride, even though I've been so unpredictable with my posting schedule. Thanks for taking the time to read and comment.

Ann, I'm glad you found this part to be affecting. It was difficult to write something that should be such a wonderful moment for LnC and have it be less than perfect because their pasts have made it impossible for them to emotionally connect the way they once did. But it wouldn't make sense for them to slip back into a normal routine and a normal life together.

Thank you for commenting, Maria. I know Clark's behavior has been frustrating, but I can't imagine it's easy for him to transition from a world at war into peace and a home life that has changed so much while he was away.

Tags, you're definitely right that Clark has much to be proud of regarding his accomplishments on New Krypton, but he can't see those at the moment. He has to come to terms with everything that happened before he can do that. And he's going to need help to do that.

Noelle, more is coming up.

Frequent Flyer, I'm so glad you came out of lurkerdom to post and that you're enjoying the story. Thanks! I'm going to post more now.

Terry, thanks for always reading and commenting and for being so patient with me over this long, difficult slog. More is coming up.

Isa, thanks for commenting. I'm about to post the next section. I hope you enjoy it.

Regards,

Rac

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard