Print Thread
#45363 08/10/07 04:41 PM
M
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
M
being soaked would do nothing for Lois’s temper
My husband would say the same about me. It's amazing to me (in a good way) that when your life becomes intertwined with someone else's, while you still operate independently in a public way, in your private life everything, even the weather, comes down to the other person. Like a homing beacon or a touchstone.

“You didn’t think I was actually going to let you do it, did you?” Lois’s voice came from behind him, low and controlled.
Oh, man, you are in so. much. trouble. In both personas.

“That’s interesting,” she said. “Because here’s the thing: I might be stupid enough to be fooled by a pair of glasses for two years, but I’m not so stupid I don’t recognize my own partner’s writing when I see it. You didn’t discuss this with Clark, and yet I would stake my career on the fact that Clark Kent wrote this press release. What should I make of that, Superman? What exactly does that mean?”

“You know what it means,” he said quietly.
FANTASTIC revelation. clap I wonder if she knew from the moment she read it, or if it took a while for it come to her.

“’Even if you were an ordinary man leading an ordinary life.’ That’s what you said to me that night, Lois. That even if I had no powers at all, you would love me. Do you have any idea what those words did to me?”

“Do you have any idea what it did to me when you let me think you were dead?” she spat back at him.
Despite my homing beacon comment above, those are also the people who can bring out your most cutting remarks. Scary how that works.

as if he were beginning a twelve-step program for recovering superheroes
Like Mr. Incredible! (sort of)

I hope you have a happy ending for Jonathan. But knowing you, I'm sure you do.

Powerful chapter, C. I enjoyed it very much and I'm looking forward to the finale. smile

lisa in the sky with diamonds
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Oh man. I can't believe I lost track of this story. I caught up with a handful of parts tonight, and this one just topped them all. Well, the last thing I was expecting was that Lois figured it out! And it was a FABULOUSLY thought out fight. Unhappy results obviousy, but the air was cleared. I'm glad Clark's not being such a moron with the Superman thing now, and he's starting to accept both parts of himself. Finding the baby wrapped up in the newspaper with the byline and then recalling his parents finding him was a seriously nice touch, earlier. I can't wait for the final piece!

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Top Banana
Top Banana
I'm so stupid! I said I wouldn't miss part five and I look and holy cow! It's all the way up to part 8! I've been reading and playing catch up all night. This whole story is so heart breakingly sad! This revelation scene was wonderful. Really painful, but wonderfully written. I like how Clark got angry. It made the scene so much more real for all of his flaws! I can't wait for the last chapter, I'm sure it'll be fantastic.

Thanks to CapeFetish for the awesome icon. smile
Blogger
Blogger
Wow! That was...Incredible! I think you hit every emotion known to man in that one. I still can't believe she figured it out (though I'm glad she's not galactically stupid here)

I can't wait for the finale!! P.S. are you gonna tell us when she figured it out?

Here…poke that.
F
Kerth
Kerth
F
I might be stupid enough to be fooled by a pair of glasses for two years, but I’m not so stupid I don’t recognize my own partner’s writing when I see it.
clap clap clap

What a delightful way to do the revelation! notworthy notworthy

Framework4
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Clark did not close his eyes that night, and when the sun finally rose above Metropolis, he was sitting in the window seat of his apartment, still holding his torn and filthy cape. It was a gray and dismal dawn; banks of heavy clouds had rolled in from the bay overnight and now hung ominously over the city.
There is something about how torn and flthy Superman cape is so much like the gray and dismal dawn: like the dawn, his sullied cape is so imperfect. Like a too-rainy day. For me who live in Sweden it is easy to sympathize with people who complain about the rain, because I know what it's like to get too much of it. But then, where would we be if we got know rain at all? What would we be, if we got no rain at all? Extinct is what we'd be. Face it, Clark. There is no such thing as perfection.

That single moment when he'd held Lois in his arms and recklessly decided to jettison Superman from his life seemed to taunt him with its remembered perfection.
Well, yes, there is perfection... but only in very small doses.

She deserved that life, and he couldn't offer it to her. In a few hours, she would know it. All his lies - his years of deception - would be laid bare before her, and what sort of future could be built on such a weak and rotten foundation?
Well, as long as you abandon the rotten old foundation of lies and deceit, offering Lois a new foundation of honesty and trust wouldn't be a half-bad thing to do, if you ask me!

“You didn't think I was actually going to let you do it, did you?” Lois's voice came from behind him, low and controlled.
Oh wow! Wow! Caroline, I hadn't expected this!

She took a step closer to him, and he closed his eyes, wishing the earth would open up at his feet and swallow him – anything to keep him from having to face her like this. He had a hundred questions, but he was afraid to ask them. Afraid of what the answers were going to be. Afraid of Lois and the fury that seemed to be radiating off of her in waves. He was the strongest man in the world, and he was terrified of this small woman who had a death grip on his heart.
I love how you write this, how you use your word magic to make us see what we have learnt to express in much coarser, sloppier terms, that Kryptonite has got nothing on Lois.

“You said you would,” he said stupidly.

“I lied. You know all about lying, don't you?
Oh, wow. Touché.

“That's interesting,” she said. “Because here's the thing: I might be stupid enough to be fooled by a pair of glasses for two years, but I'm not so stupid I don't recognize my own partner's writing when I see it. You didn't discuss this with Clark, and yet I would stake my career on the fact that Clark Kent wrote this press release. What should I make of that, Superman? What exactly does that mean?”
This is a brilliant revelation. Of course Lois, the award-winning reporter, must recognize her own partner's writing style.

“The other night, you knew about the fire, didn't you? You knew about the fire, and instead of going to help, you were making out with me on the couch.”

“I'd promised you I wouldn't run away again. I'd promised you…”

“Don't you dare blame this on me!”
The horrible thing is that she is right. If someone had died in that fire, Clark subconsciously would have blamed that person's death on Lois. Because it would have been her "fault" that he couldn't come to their rescue.

“When was I supposed to do that, Lois?” Suddenly, out of nowhere, the anger rose up in him and poured out in a white-hot torrent. “In the early days when you'd have splashed it all over the front page of the paper? Or maybe when you were getting ready to marry the most dangerous criminal this city has ever known? Would that have been a good time? What about the day you handed me back my heart and then threw yourself at Superman? Should I have told you then?”

“Yes!” she hissed. “Any of those. All of them. Anything would be better than this.”
I don't agree with Lois that Clark might just as well have told her right away, pretty much as soon as he met her. He had to get to know her first and find out if he could trust her. But personally I don't feel sorry for Clark for being rejected when he asked Lois to love him as Clark Kent. He was lying to her then, not about his love for her, but about himself. He didn't deserve her love at that time.

“'Even if you were an ordinary man leading an ordinary life.' That's what you said to me that night, Lois. That even if I had no powers at all, you would love me. Do you have any idea what those words did to me?”
It's strange how he keeps coming back to Lois's misguided answer again and again and uses her reply to him as a kind of justification for his continued lies to her. Lois answered as a person who had been well and truly deceived, because he had well and truly deceived her. And to him that was proof enough that she was untrustworthy and that he had to keep lying to her?

In a previous part, Clark told Constance Hunter that the woman he loved needed him to be two people. I think that is as far from the truth as it could be. It was Clark who needed to be two people. He needed to be perfect farmboy-reporter Clark Kent on one hand and perfect superhero Superman on the other. Mentally, he split himself in two. Then he successfully fooled Lois into believing in his charade - and suddenly, he could project his own need to be two people onto her. He needed her to love a man who didn't exist, but that he liked to pretend that he was - non-superpowered Clark Kent. And then he made himself believe that he was fooling her for her own sake, because the truth would be unacceptable to her. And therefore any problems he had because of his double life could be seen as something he himself was suffering and sacrificing because of Lois.

Once again, his own problems were Lois's fault.

“Do you have any idea what it did to me when you let me think you were dead?” she spat back at him. “I was imagining my best friend's body full of bullet holes, tossed in a ditch somewhere, and all the while you were flying around playing hero. Did it ever once occur to you then to tell me the truth?”

“You have no idea what I went through then,” Clark whispered. The memory of that time seemed to claw at his insides, somehow tied up with those boxes in his apartment. Either way, Cark Kent dead and gone, and nothing left but Superman.
Suddenly, you made my breath hitch. Yes, being hit by bullets and having to pretend that Clark Kent, the man he needed to be, was dead, and being unable to think of any way to get him back, must have been inconceivably horrible. (And I don't know if I've told you so, but that metaphor of packing an entire persona away in boxes is simply brilliant.)

“No,” she said, and all of a sudden the anger seemed to drain out of her, only to be replaced by something much worse – much more painful. “No, I don't have any idea what you went through because you never trusted me enough to tell me. You never once let me see you. You just lied and lied and lied some more. And now this.” She indicated the press release. “You're not doing this. Not for me.”
So raw. So true. So painful.

“Last night… there was a baby…you probably saw it on the news, I don't know. But he was wrapped in a newspaper. Wrapped in our newspaper. I found him, and I realized I couldn't… that Superman had to… stay.” He paused, realizing that he wasn't making any sense, but he couldn't explain it any better than that. “I can't keep the promises I made to you, Lois. I can't offer you a normal life. I thought I could do this… that I could be free. But I can't. I love you… but I just…”
But he still doesn't understand. He seems to be apologizing for not being able to give up Superman for her.

“Lois,” he pleaded, hardly knowing what he was asking for – just knowing that he needed her not to leave things like this. But she shook her head.

“I can't do this now. I can't talk to you... like that.” She gestured at his suit. “I don't even know you like that.”

“I'll change,” he said, hearing the desperation in his own voice. “It's just a costume, Lois. It's always been just a costume.”

“But who are you, under that costume? That's what I spent all day yesterday trying to figure out. And I never could.”

“You know who I am. You know me.”

She shook her head. “The man I thought I knew....” Her lips trembled and her eyes filled with tears. “The man I thought I knew wouldn't have done this to me. Not Clark. Not my best friend. He would never have lied to me about something so important. He wouldn't have made a decision like this without telling me.” Her voice tore on a sob, and he was sure the sound of it was more painful to him than Kryptonite.
I hope he heard her this time. I hope he realizes that he will have to give up his old foundations of lies and deceit and offer Lois honesty and trust instead. Because if he won't, how can she know him and trust him?

It's quite interesting that you had Constance Hunter see and hear Lois and Clark/Superman's argument. I very much like her intervention and her suggestions to Clark:

“You should go after her.”

“No,” he said dully. “You heard her. She'll never forgive me for this.”

“I didn't hear her say anything like that.”
Indeed, Clark. She didn't.

For the first time in his life, he didn't care in the slightest that someone had probably just learned his secret. He turned to her and held out his hand. “In fact, I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Clark Kent, and I'm Superman.”

It sounded ludicrous, as if he were beginning a twelve-step program for recovering superheroes
I snorted at this. Like Lisa, I was immediately reminded of Mr. Incredible.

as he said the words, he felt as if a giant weight was lifted from his soul. My name is Clark Kent, and I'm Superman. He should have said those words to Lois long since, but he wasn't sure he'd completely believed them himself until the night before in the alley, when he'd held that small, discarded life in his hands. In that one quiet moment, something had been reconciled. Something had been accepted. And now he could say the words and mean them.
Yes, he himself had needed to be two people. But now, finally, he could accept that he wasn't.

And Clark went back to the hospital, where he was welcomed by all. It was a nice touch to let him be greeted and shown around by a nurse who reminded him of his own mother. Again, the similarity between himself and the little foundling boy is driven home.

Clark approached the bassinette and looked at the child in wonder; such an amazing transformation in a few short hours! He was pink and healthy and sleeping soundly, innocent of the fact that his arrival to the world had been in any way unusual.

Katie scooped him up and placed him in Clark's arms, and he turned slightly away from her when he felt tears prick his eyes. How embarrassing, for Superman to be getting choked up over a baby.
Not embarrassing in view of the fact that this little boy reminds Clark of his own miraculous salvation.

Katie left them alone then, and he sighed deeply and settled the baby more comfortably as he rocked them slowly back and forth. Maybe it was the tight swaddling, but Jonathan felt more substantial to him now, his weight and warmth in Clark's arms a solid, comforting thing.
The way you write Clark's incredible bond to this little boy has me wondering if you will find a way for Lois and Clark to adopt him. (Yes, because I really don't doubt that you will make Lois and Clark find their way back to one another and build a new life on strong, solid foundations of honesty, love and trust.)

And he needed that comfort. The memory of Lois's face, shattered and hurt, was a constant torment. He would never forget the moment she told him he was not the man she'd thought she knew. It was worse, somehow, than anything he had feared, and the worst of it was that he had no defense. How could he expect her to have known him when he hadn't truly known himself?

“My name is Clark Kent, and I'm Superman.”
He didn't know himself before, but now he does. And he is beginning to see how he must offer Lois his true, undivided self if he wants to respect and honour her.

Great, Caroline! Please don't make us wait long for the final part.

Ann

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Hmmmm. I just thought of something.

“I lied. You know all about lying, don't you? For instance, you told me you hadn't discussed this with Clark. That was a lie, wasn't it, Superman?”

“No.” He closed his eyes again. Because it was happening. The moment he'd been dreading for two years was happening, and there was nothing he could do to stop it, nothing he could do to change it. Somehow it had all gone out of his control. “It wasn't.”
Okay, let's focus on just a part of this quote:

“No.” He closed his eyes again. Because it was happening. The moment he'd been dreading for two years was happening, and there was nothing he could do to stop it, nothing he could do to change it.
What was happening? Well, obviously, Lois was ripping off his cover, exposing him as a liar. Why had he been dreading this moment so much? The easy, pat answer is that he was afraid of Lois's anger. A better answer is that he was afraid that Lois would be angry enough to reject him. He was afraid of losing her.

I think, however, that the best answer is that Clark was afraid of losing himself. Or should I say that he was afraid of losing himselves? Both of him? Both non-superpowered Clark and superpowered Superman?

Almost for as long as Clark had known Lois, he had been carefully splitting himself in two before her eyes. He had been telling himself that Clark was his real self and that Superman didn't really exist. But he had been acting as if he wanted to show her that Superman was as real as Clark Kent, and Clark Kent was a mere earthling, no different from other men. Lois's different responses to the two personas he presented to her helped him keep himself divided. He loved her for loving him separately and in parts. That's why he envisioned a future for them where he offered her only a part of himself. A future, indeed, where he turned himself into half a man, amputating the Superman part of himself and living his life as if Clark Kent really was just an ordinary man. For Lois's sake. But really, mostly for his own.

But now Lois had seen through his disguise. And now the walls separating Clark and Superman were crumbling. And now Clark Kent - the man that he had packed up in boxes when Lois didn't want him, the man that he had had to pretend to be killed by a bullet - that man, Clark Kent, was now slipping through his fingers. Or rather, Clark Kent was merging inseparably with Superman, until both were neither and neither was known. And both were lost. And the man who didn't know himself could never again look at Lois and see himselves reflected in her eyes, to find confirmation that there were two of him, and never the twain shall meet.

When I re-read your story, I noticed that during the whole Lois/Clark confrontation and during the ensuing discussion between Constance Hunter and, well, Clark, you didn't once call him Clark. You never said that Clark did or said something. You consistently used the pronoun he: he did, he said, he thought. Because during that time Clark wasn't Clark. He was nobody. When Lois no longer believed that Clark and Superman were two separate people, he didn't believe it himself. He didn't believe in Clark anymore, the farmboy reporter with no superpowers. He was slipping through his own fingers, crumbling like a castle made of sand. He was losing himself. He didn't have a name any more. He was nobody. He was just "he".

But when Clark flew to the hospital to see the "baby version" of himself once more, he was Clark again. Because the baby had been wrapped in his byline, and how could he deny, to the baby, that he was Clark Kent? And he had saved it, like his mother had saved him. And the nurse, Katie, who took care of the baby, reminded him of his mother. And he had given the baby his father's name.

I remember that in the last part, you said that the baby felt so light and insubstantial in Clark's arms, when he lifted it out of the trashcan. It felt as if it might fly away on its own. Could this have been your way of saying that the baby's seeming unnatural lightness reflected Clark's precarious hold on himself? Maybe his sense of self was so tenuous that he might scatter and disperse in the wind, disappearing in the sky? Clark had to wrap the baby in his cape and hold on to him tightly to prevent the infant from just floating away. What about his own "solidity"?

The baby is definitely becoming more solid and real:
Maybe it was the tight swaddling, but Jonathan felt more substantial to him now, his weight and warmth in Clark's arms a solid, comforting thing.
And because I think of the baby as a metaphor for Clark Superman Kent El, I think that Clark, too, is becoming more solid. He is picking up the pieces of himself, but he is not building two shadow-characters of himself this time. He has finally found a way to fit the pieces together so that Clark kent and Superman can be one man:

"My name is Clark Kent, and I'm Superman."
Wow. This is even more significant than I realized when I read it the first time, Caroline.

Ann

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
oh my god [Linked Image] - how could I've missed that story? confused . I only stumbled about part 8 this morning and I really can't believe it that this story went by without me reading it wallbash .

Well, but at least I now know what to do with the rest of this day: searching and then reading the first 7 parts of it. And I hope the last part will come soon, I can barely await how this is going to end. I'm not sure why (well, but on the other side I for sure know why I want it laugh ), but I hope Lois also will come to the hospital as long Clark is still there smile

"Superman is what I can do. Clark is who I am."
Top Banana
Top Banana
I love this too. laugh The revelation was handled so well.
You write beautifully.

It sounded ludicrous, as if he were beginning a twelve-step program for recovering superheroes, but as he said the words, he felt as if a giant weight was lifted from his soul. My name is Clark Kent, and I’m Superman. He should have said those words to Lois long since, but he wasn’t sure he’d completely believed them himself until the night before in the alley, when he’d held that small, discarded life in his hands. In that one quiet moment, something had been reconciled. Something had been accepted. And now he could say the words and mean them.
Aaawww.
And I'm very glad to see we're getting an extra part! smile1

Only one criticism... another wretched tissue moment at the end and I'm fresh out! Anybody got a spare hankie? mecry

When Life Gives You Green Velvet Curtains, Make a Green Velvet Dress.
Columnist
Columnist
yeah the revelation was great. The whole part was great and I never guessed that Lois hadn't send the fax. Great way.

Oh I think Clark has to do a lot of cleaning up after his mess to get Lois back.

Can't wait for the next part. I am glad there are now 9 parts instead of 8. Perhaps we'll get 10 or 11? laugh

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Oh Wow. I've been out of town--off the internet for 3 weeks and so I've fallen behind in this story. Now that I've caught up. . . just rip my heart out why don't you?

This was painfully wonderful. I know some probably won't agree, but I'm so Glad that Clark-superman got mad a Lois durring thier arguement. He actually stood up for himself and his feelings instead of just letting her beat him up again (at least for a few seconds). Yes, he was an idiot and had his thinking all backwards, Yes there were proabaly dozens of times that he might have tried to tell her, but (as much as we scorn the idea) fear is a very powerful emotion. Phobias are real and His fear boarders on them. I'm proud that he was finally ready (got the courage up ) to tell her. Ok, I'm getting off of my soap box now. . .

I love little Johnathan <big sigh> Is there any way that he could end up in Clark's keeping. . . (I know probably not)

Looking forward to more soon.

Vonceil

Johnny was a chemist,
Now Johnny is no more,
For what he thought was H two O
Was really H two S O four.
--Lab safety limrick--
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I should probably leave this part alone now, Caroline, but....

&#8220;My name is Clark Kent, and I'm Superman.&#8221;

He whispered the words to the baby in his arms, and this time, when the tears filled his eyes, he didn't fight them.
Why isn't Clark fighting his tears? Probably because he has let go of his assumed personas that served as shields between himself and his true emotions. The fact that his emotions are breaking through means that he has stopped being in denial about so many things. Consider! He has lost his biological parents and all other biological relatives. He has lost his society. He has lost his people! He has lost his planet! Can you even imagine what that would be like? No, it's impossible to even think of.

And he was saved, miraculously, after a journey across the light years, all alone, as an infant, on his way to an unknown alien planet, to hope for the mercy of strangers to save him. It boggles the mind, honestly! And even though he was so unbelievably lucky that he got the best foster parents that anyone could ever hope for, he is still an alien on this world, the only one of his kind. Maybe he can never have children. Maybe he will be the very, very last of his kind.

Clark has so many reasons to cry, but his role-playing and his persona-masquerade haven't let him. But now, when he is holding another little foundling boy in his arms and letting go of his pretense, his real feelings make their way to the surface. And from there, he can start to piece together the real man who can be true to both himself and to Lois.

Ann

Columnist
Columnist
I can't find the words to express how much I loved that revelation--how much I loved the whole part. It was amazing. I especially liked that Constance overheard their argument.

Can't wait for the last part!

Silence is golden.
Duct tape is silver.

~Saw it on a T-Shirt.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Wow just wonderful. I especailly loved the ending. very touching. Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
Columnist
Columnist
I missed a few parts while I was on vacation, and I just caught up with the parts I missed. And I must say: WOW so far. Can't wait to read this part!!

“You didn’t think I was actually going to let you do it, did you?” Lois’s voice came from behind him, low and controlled.
Oh I love that she didn't send the fax, but I never expected it!!
“In fact, I’d like to introduce myself. My name is Clark Kent, and I’m Superman.”
Okay I saw more have already quoted this, but I just coudn't resist it because it is quote worthy, very beautifuly said!! It's nice that Constance knows the whole truth now.

I liked how Superman was with the baby, very sweet and caring. Not rushed at all.

I hope everything is going to work out between Clark and Lois can't wait for the last part!!

"I have no regrets. If you regret things, then you're sort of stepping backwards.
I'm a believer in going forwards." ~Kate Winslet
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Caroline I'm really sorry i haven't given you any feedback. I try, I just feel that it's hard to do you justice. frown

But after the last two parts that were a parade of all that adore in your writing I just have to say something.

I love the premise in this story.
(Strange, there must have been other Superman retires stories but I can't recall any following this simple concept before.) It definitely seems like something Clark could do.
I love how you draw the world around them and that everything isn't about true lurve. Your sketches of places and people are just art.
I love how you have fleshed out Constance Hunter. I love your Martha, but then you seem to know her rather then write about her.
I love how Clark wrestles with his consciousness and how Lois loses her hero.
That was just beautiful. To Clark, Lois losing Superman shouldn’t be such a big deal, if she really has chosen the ordinary guy. (And since Clark is superman it’s not like she actually would lose anything) He just doesn’t understand that Superman isn’t just a romantic interest or a fancy of Lois.

The boy in the trash can was just brilliance, and the revelation inspired, surprising and plausible.

Whenever I check out the board for stories this is what I hope to find.

Thank you. sloppy

I do know you, and I know you wouldn't lie... at least to me...most of the time...
C
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
C
Thank you so much to all who took the time to respond to this penultimate part! sloppy I was so glad that so many of you thought the revelation "worked" - and glad, too, that it managed to be a surprise to most of you wink .

Ann, I was really flattered that you found this part so thought-provoking. You consistently manage to make me feel much smarter and a much better writer than I actually am, and I thank you for that!

Of course Lois, the award-winning reporter, must recognize her own partner's writing style.
When I wrote "The Challenge," I promised you and Patrick a story in which Lois was not fooled by Clark wink . Well... this is it, and I had fun writing it this way! I'm delighted you both thought it worked as well.

Lisa, thank you for starting this thread and - again - for your wonderful support throughout this story and others. sloppy

Arawn, it's always wonderful to hear from you, and I'm excited to find out you've been following this story. I'm so glad you've enjoyed it so far, and I hope the last part doesn't disappoint!

I'm so Glad that Clark-superman got mad a Lois during their argument....Yes there were probably dozens of times that he might have tried to tell her, but (as much as we scorn the idea) fear is a very powerful emotion.
I agree, Vonceil! I think Clark's fear has overpowered him in this story, and that's at the root of both his stupidity and his anger. But I liked having him get a little angry, too wink

Thanks so much to everyone who has taken the time to respond. I really do appreciate all your comments so much!

Caroline

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
It was time. The press would be waiting for him.

But they weren’t.
jawdrop

LOIS!!! WOW!!! Such subterfuge! And oooooooh, she knows! You are in so much trouble!

Ooooooh! So does Constance know? I'll just bet that she does - sharp cookie that she is (after all, she's not blinded by infatuation for Superman, is she?)

And oh, this whole revelation part is just tearing my heart to ribbons Caroline! I'd quote something but I'd end up quoting the whole darn thing!

“I didn’t mean to intrude. When I realized what was happening, I was going to go away, but then I was afraid someone else might come along and overhear.”

“It doesn’t matter.” And it really didn’t. For the first time in his life, he didn’t care in the slightest that someone had probably just learned his secret. He turned to her and held out his hand. “In fact, I’d like to introduce myself. My name is Clark Kent, and I’m Superman.”
Ooooh! I like this! And I know he can trust Constance.

He’s beautiful,” Clark said huskily, looking down at Jonathan. The baby’s lips were pursed and making small sucking motions in his sleep. “Perfect.”
Ohhhhh <sniffle> darn you! You made me cry!!! Now I'm gonna have to fix my make-up! <sigh>

“My name is Clark Kent, and I’m Superman.”

He whispered the words to the baby in his arms, and this time, when the tears filled his eyes, he didn’t fight them.
Awwwwwwwwwwww! This was the perfect ending to this part, Caroline <more tears> Awwww, I loved it! I can't wait to read the final part...

.... <sniffle> ....

But, alas, I have no time left this morning. I have to leave. So it may be tomorrow morning before I finish up the story. I have loved it and enjoyed it immensely - and knowing you, I'm sure you'll give us a happy ending - maybe not a PERFECT ending, but a happy one, none the same. <g>

-- DJ

Smile and the world smiles with you ... frown and you're just giving yourself wrinkles.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard