Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
And the genius of Caroline strikes again! I think this is one your best stories to date, and definitely Kerth-worthy. Plus, I love the way you’ve written Luke. It’s like he represents Clark’s younger self – only not quite as Clark, with whole lot of smart*ssedness. I love the way he’s appealing without being sickly-sweet. Perfect characterization! thumbsup

“Is he dead, Lois?”

“No! But I was really mad and I wanted to kick him between the legs and pull his nose off and put out his eyes with a freshly sharpened pencil and disembowel him with a dull letter opener and strangle him with his own intestines but I stopped myself just in time!”
- Further Down The Road by Terry Leatherwood.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
goofy
Clark smiled to show that no offense had been taken. “Well, if I ever meet any of the Power Rangers, I’ll get you an autograph.”

Luke gave him a pitying look. “They’re not really real, Mr. Kent.”
mecry

Well done!

~•~
Top Banana
Top Banana
This story was great, Caroline!

I could just picture Alt-Clark doing a mental "d'oh" take, and thinking about slapping his forehead. (At least, that's the image that got conjured up when he found out that Luke knew he was Superman.)

"You take turns, advise and protect one another, even heal or be healed when the going gets too tough. I know! That's not a game--that's friendship!" ~Shelly Mezzanoble, Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons & Dragons Game

Darcy\'s Place
K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
K
Oh, Caroline!! I'm sitting here crying! It's a good cry, though, don't worry! Thank you so, so much! I made time to read the story, but I don't have time for proper feedback. And this story deserves proper feedback! I'll just say for now that I really, really loved it, and I'm more than touched! sloppy

I'll be back later (after the gym wink ) with real comments!!

Sara smile

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
<sigh> I was already a Caroline fan...

But then you knew that...

Sorry for the lengthy fdk you're about to get, wink but I just had to quote a few things...

He needed to be Superman; he believed that with everything he had. But he also needed just one person on earth who remembered that he was also a farm kid from Kansas who loved football and writing stories. One person who knew his favorite color and his favorite foods and his favorite song. One person who knew that he could be sarcastic and angry and a complete grouch in the mornings. One person who knew he wasn’t really super – not every minute of every day – and loved him anyway. The other Clark Kent had his Lois for that, and his parents. Did that other Clark know what he had? Could he really appreciate it enough, having never lived with the alternative?
That's beautiful. He wanted just one person who truly knew him... all the little things that made up "Clark Kent". <sniffle>

Too soon, he was drifting over the small parcel of farmland that had belonged to his father and his father’s father, and that now belonged to him. He landed in what had been the front yard, but now it was a tangle of weeds, indistinguishable from the overgrown fields. The house, which had once been cheerful and welcoming, seemed to fix him with a blank, dead stare – its gaze so cold that he had to look away. It was more than just the peeling paint and slipping shingles, more than the shutters that had been knocked into crazy angles by the fierce Kansas wind. It was the darkness behind windows where once a light had always shined. It was the shrouded furniture he knew the house still entombed.
That was haunting and sad, you painted an incredible picture with those words...

His mother’s voice seemed to ring out in the emptiness. She’d had a thousand ways of saying his name, and he’d known every one of them by heart. He could tell just from her inflection whether the one word, “Clark,” meant that he was in trouble, had a chore to do, or was going to get a freshly-baked cookie, still warm from the oven. All three names, though – that was never good news. And this – this turning-away from their land, their home – was definitely a three-name offense.
I LOVED that! Because I always knew the exact same thing - if my momma used my middle name (all 3 names) I was in deep doody. <g>

Clark smiled. “Well, when I knew her, everybody called her Jenny. She was a few years younger than me, but she used to come over here to play sometimes. I remember when she was about five, she broke one of my model airplanes.”

The boy blinked at him. “You need to get over it,” he advised seriously, and Clark burst out laughing, when only a few minutes before, he'd felt like he'd never smile again.

“I’m not holding a grudge, I promise,” Clark assured him. “So how old are you?”
That was just precious, and made me giggle despite myself.

“Call me Clark,” he said. “And yes, I can fly us up there. Hold on to your hat.”

“I’m not wearing a hat,” Luke protested.

“You’re way too literal, kiddo,” Clark told him, just before he grabbed him and slung him upside down over his shoulder in a sloppy version of the fireman’s carry.

“Hey!” Luke protested, pummeling Clark’s back with his fists. “This isn’t how you’re s’posed to do it.”

Clark laughed and started to drift upwards. “How do you know? You’re not into Superman.”

“Anybody knows that!” But Luke was giggling at his upside-down Superman ride.
And that had me laughing out loud. Completely. Too cute.

Recognizing that made the memories a little less painful, and he knew that in fixing up the farm, he wouldn’t be tempted to rush. This was his parents’ gift to him – a greater gift than they ever could have imagined. They had given him the one place on earth where he could be himself, and it had been just sitting there, waiting for him to come and claim it.
Oh, but then I was back to sniffling here. Yes, what a gift - a place in the big wide world where he could come and still be Clark. whinging

“Go fast,” Luke instructed him, once he was secure.

“Faster than a speeding bullet?” Clark teased.

“Whatever.” Luke sounded unimpressed. “Just don’t, you know, vaporize me or anything.”

“I could let you walk home,” Clark suggested dryly.

“I could let you fix your farm by yourself,” Luke returned.

Clark laughed. “You drive a hard bargain, sport.”
And again, that was so sweet and lovely - and I'm not a big kids person myself, but you made me absolutely adore Luke.

He would find her one day, he thought, feeling an unfamiliar swell of hope. Because if the last week had taught him anything, it was that nothing was truly impossible. So he would find her, and he would fly her here, to Kansas, so that she could see the real Clark Kent in the place he called home.
Awwwww, sniffle, mecry and what a lovely ending. I just know that he'll find her.

This was lovely Caroline. Your writing is so deep and so moving, without being overly indulgent or choking the reader. It's spectacular. I've read (and commented on - I think - smack me if I'm wrong) everything you've written... except Stardust. I still have to find time to fit it in.

But I will...

-- DJ

Smile and the world smiles with you ... frown and you're just giving yourself wrinkles.
Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
This was beautiful, and it made me want to write another Alt-Clark finds his Lois. I would, too, if I wasn't already swamped.

Nan

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Great job, Caroline... so achingly sad, but then as Clark's heart lightens, so did mine. Luke was great laugh The "you need to get over it" part had me laughing out loud.

Now, if only we could interest you in a sequel where he really does find Lois... hey, a girl can dream! goofy

PJ

p.s. -- DJ, drop *everything* and go read Stardust . Now. Come on, it's not like you really *need* to sleep, is it?

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
S
Top Banana
Top Banana
S
I loved it Caroline! So sad, but so full of hope too! Like everyone I love Luke, and I'm totally with Pam about a story-sequel (I'm a dreamer too laugh )!
Great, delightful story Caroline! smile1

Simona smile

M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
Ahh, Caroline, I love this story so much. Reading it gave me a euphoric feeling, like getting a really great hug and a sweet joke whispered in your ear when you're crying and you can't help but smile. I'm hoping that you'll have more Alt-Clark fic coming our way soon. Of course, you could write about spoons or something equally bland and make it wonderful, so really anything you write in the future is ok with me.

Lisa (who thinks C. is pretty awesome, too. *hugs*)

lisa in the sky with diamonds
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
awwwwwwww!!! that was so cute! I'm sure I could find a more intelligent word to use, but... awww!

I loved Luke, he really does rock. I hope you'll bring him back sometime. smile

Superman: Why is it that good villains never die?
Batman: Clark, what the hell are good villains?
=> Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
K
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
K
Well, I said I'd be back with proper feedback, but I ended up commenting so much, as usual, that I just made an entire file. So check your email. wink

But I did want to rave again publicly that you, yourself, are made of awesome! And I'm really, really honored that my (baby) story inspired this wonderful story of yours! blush

Sara smile

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

Features Writer
Features Writer
Gorgeous, simply gorgeous. The introspection was so smooth and I simply loved Luke (like everyone else smile ). This was my favorite exchange between them:

“Well, duh.” Luke was peering up at the tree house again. “I wouldn’t have come with you if you’d been a stranger.”

“It’s just that you didn’t seem…” impressed, he almost said, but he stopped himself just in time. What did it mean that he’d come to expect adulation from every little kid he met? He didn’t much want to think about that.

Luke shrugged. “No offense, but I’m not really into Superman. I like the Power Rangers better. But you seem like a nice guy,” Luke added hastily, not wanting to offend.

Clark smiled to show that no offense had been taken. “Well, if I ever meet any of the Power Rangers, I’ll get you an autograph.”

This just establishes him as such an intelligent, witty little boy. I like how Clark finds himself surprised by him (because to be honest so did I). Anyway I truly enjoyed this, thanks for posting it.

alcyone

One loses so many laughs by not laughing at oneself - Sara Jeannette Duncan
http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/myl/llog/duty_calls.png
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
A wonderful vignette, Caroline. Clark gets to reconnect with a wonded little boy inside himself when he meets another little boy who has lost his father. With Luke, Clark gets to be both a little boy and a father figure of sorts to Luke.

All of this vignette is lovely, but this may be my favorite part:

“Awesome,” Luke said, gazing up at it, a light of genuine admiration in his eyes. “Let’s go up there!”

“I used to have a rope,” Clark said, looking around. “Guess it’s rotted, though. There might be a ladder back at the house.”

Luke cocked his head and gave Clark a quizzical glance. “Can’t you just fly us up there?”

For a moment Clark gaped at him. The kid knew? And then he felt stupid: Of course Luke knew. It would be common knowledge in Smallville that Clark Kent, who was now Superman, still owned the old Kent place.

“So you know that I’m...uh....”

“Well, duh.” Luke was peering up at the tree house again. “I wouldn’t have come with you if you’d been a stranger.”

“It’s just that you didn’t seem…” impressed, he almost said, but he stopped himself just in time. What did it mean that he’d come to expect adulation from every little kid he met? He didn’t much want to think about that.

Luke shrugged. “No offense, but I’m not really into Superman. I like the Power Rangers better. But you seem like a nice guy,” Luke added hastily, not wanting to offend.

Clark laughed, suddenly liking this kid immensely. No, the Power Rangers weren’t real, but he was, and Luke seemed to get that.
Yes, this Superman is real. He's not as cool as the Power Rangers, but he is real, so Luke wouldn't mind being friends with him.

Beautiful.

Ann

C
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
C
Thank you all so much for your many lovely comments on this story! Writing alt-Clark was nerve-wracking for me because he is a whole different character from "our" Clark, but we only have a handful of shows from canon to go on when we try to bring him to life in our stories. There is no question that the alt-Clark in this story was informed by Sara's story and by bits and pieces of many of the other wonderful alternate universe stories I've read in this fandom. With everything I've written here, I've felt I was standing on the shoulders of giants, but that is particularly true in this case!

Nan said:

it made me want to write another Alt-Clark finds his Lois. I would, too, if I wasn't already swamped.
Thank you, Nan! I'd love to see another alt-Clark come from your pen. He's quite an addictive guy smile .

Hasini said:

I love the way [Luke is] appealing without being sickly-sweet. Perfect characterization!
Thank you so much - and to everyone else who said that they liked Luke and thought he "worked" here. My youngest is almost eight now, so I've seen two children through the seven-year-old stage, and as much as I'd love to say they were sweet all the time, I've actually discovered that they grow quite a smart mouth on them at that age and also have a blossoming need to be "cool." That's kind of how I pictured Luke. I think he's secretly more impressed to be hanging out with Superman than he lets on, but it's good for this Clark that Luke doesn't mind sassing him a bit smile .

I'm out of time for the moment, but again, thank you to everyone who took the time to comment. I appreciate your kind words more than I can say!

Caroline

Blogger
Blogger
I love this story! (And just to prove how much, I'm finally inspired to break a six and a half year lurk fest to let you know! blush Why is that first post always the hardest?... huh )

Very few stories I have read (and boy have I read A LOT of stories) are able to adequately portray a young child who is both intelligent and touching without making him either talk in complex sentences like an adult or babble in baby talk like a toddler. You definately nailed the seven-year-old Luke, though. As everyone else, I absolutely loved when Luke smartly informs the clueless adult that the Power Rangers aren't real. I swear I've seen version of conversations play out between adults and children dozens of times. (And I crack up every time they put the humoring adult in their place!)

For such a short story, you have very adroitly created and developed a character that I have completely fallen in love with. I really hope you will write more of Luke. He's too charming and engaging to end his short little life flying back to Grandma's house.

Please more! grovel

C

C
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
C
And just to prove how much, I'm finally inspired to break a six and a half year lurk fest to let you know!
WOW!!! Thank you so much! What a lovely compliment. blush

And thank you for your comments on the story - and on Luke in particular. I can't say that I have any plans to write more of him at the moment, but I've also learned never to say "never" when it comes to fan fiction! I'm very flattered that you liked him enough to want to see him again smile

I hope this won't be the last time you de-lurk here!

Best,

Caroline

E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
I missed so much when the boards when stark, raving mad that I've been weeding through them to make sure I didn't miss any gems.

Caroline, this is lovely.

I'm just as infatuated with Luke as everybody else, but there's one other thing I wanted to pointed out that hasn't been mentioned. I like how you write alt-Clark to be a busy Superhero. He's just as lost as I always thought he should be, but in your incarnation he hasn't spent every last moment combing the planet for Lois. I never minded stories where he did that, but--being the pragmatic girl that I am--I never identified with him. Instead, I like how you give him the desire for his Lois and the jealousy of our Clark without making her into the Holy Grail.

Elisabeth
who went by my full name, but only in my family. My friends always freaked out when they called and my father called me by my full name. Makes me smile with my own memories.

Top Banana
Top Banana
Caroline... I somehow missed this when it was posted on the boards.

But is it to late for me to get down on all fours and beg and plead for you to finish your Alt-Clark's story?

I love anything alt-Clark and well your version of him... he makes me melt and cry and wish so many happy things for him.

Please please tell me you are at least thinking about maybe writing something related to this?

I usually never ever beg an author for things but this one is just to good not to at least try to grovel for.

~Jojo, who is gonna go blow her nose and wipe away her tears now.

Angry Clark: CLARK SMASH!
Lois: Ork!
C
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
C
Ooh! I did a double take when I saw that this thread had been revived. Wait a minute...didn't I write that? laugh

Elisabeth & Jojo, thank you so much for your comments! I'm so pleased you enjoyed my first attempt at alt-Clark.

Jojo, it would definitely be fun to play in this universe some more and see this alt-Clark find some happiness, so I'm not ruling out the possibility of a sequel, but the right idea for it hasn't occurred to me yet. Maybe when my current story is wrapped up smile . In the meantime, thank you so much for asking - it made my day!

Best,

Caroline

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard