Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Kerth
Kerth
I'm a muse now? <claps hands in glee>

That opening scene is just chilling. I think we're in for a heck of a ride on this one.

Nice build of tension with the question of where is Lois and is she the woman cooling in the room with the answering machine. Excellent, take-no-crap Lois in her meeting with Archer. I can't wait to find out how it all fits together. <wheee!>

Has this saved you from a slow, tragic and untimely death? Much like Lois? Because if anything happens to you, we'll never find out.

MORE!

Sue (who can't believe she didn't get a nod for the pre-read that saved you from using a very derogatory word)

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Okay, Hasini! I am so so soso excited about this! Before I sit down and review the actual chapter, I have to sit here and reminisce on how wonderful it feels to have reviews for the very first time . . . <sits back and stares at ceiling>. I'm so very happy to welcome you to official "authordom" (I suppose, as another newbie in the group, I shall have to push some of the more experienced out of the way for the honor, but we do what we must, eh?).

Anyway, here we go!! hyper hyper

Woman In The Mirror
What? I haven't even started the story yet, and already I've found something to comment on: the title. Having read the challenge, I realize the basic idea of where you are heading, and I can't think of a title more appropriate. I don't want to say more, in case somebody doesn't know about the challenge and wants to be surprised, but know that I heartily approve and love the image that even your *title* gives. <excited shudder>

The room was suffused in the darkness of night, broken only by the slivers of moonlight, which filtered in between the drawn blinds.

The red light on the phone flared to life suddenly, a lone red eye blinking in the blackness.

One, two, three discreet, yet insistent rings. Then the voicemail picked up.

“Hi, you’ve reached the office of Carmen Martinez. I’m not available right now, so leave a message,”

A soft swear word. A slight hesitancy.

The caller spoke in a light tone. “Carmen, it’s me. I have to talk to you about those flowers you ordered for Ash’s party. Turns out she’s deathly allergic to carnations. Call me.”

A pause.

“Call me now ”.

Click.

In the otherworldly stillness of the room, a person listening to the message may have fancied that that last syllable was full of something akin to…menace.
Holy Valar, Hasini! I've known for a while that English wasn't your first language, but I have to say that I am already downright floored at the tone and complete chill and stillness that permeates throughout these first few lines. Your imagery and description is stunning, and catches the feeling of doom and tension even if we don't know what's going on . . . yet

However, the only occupant of the room was unlikely to hear anything ever again as her body lay cooling, a barely distinguishable form at the foot of the telephone stand.
!!!! Whatever *is* going on . . . there's no question that it is, quite literally, deadly serious.

I have to say, I love the domestic side of Lois. I love the picture of her at home, with Clark, but especially with Clark and kids. It just gives me warm fuzzy feelings all over (despite the lingering feeling of doom . . . )

And Lois was never late.
Which both shows how responsible she is and how seriously she takes her role as a mother figure. Not to mention the fact that she *is* late, when she's apparently *never* late adds a lot to the questions shooting off everywhere from the scene of the murder . . .

Clark had dropped off the costumes before heading out to track down his wife half an hour ago
Uh oh. Clark's been gone a half an hour and *still* hasn't found her? Not good news.

The kids were smart enough to know that Lois would have called and apologized to them. Lois simply wasn’t the type of mother to relay her excuses through other adults.
Two things that make these sentences interesting--of course Lois and Clark's kids are going to be intelligent enough to know something's up, and secondly, again we're seeing how directly Lois is involved in her kids' lives. Goodness, has she turned into the ideal parent!?

“Aunty Ash, is she in trouble?” piped up Marta. She was dressed in her angel costume, unlike Lara who had insisted on being a donkey. Usually she was the more timid of the two, content to let her more outgoing sister ask the tough questions. “Is that why Daddy’s not here either?”
Love the picture of the little girl in an angel costume (especially since she's Lois and Clarks'!!). And it seems she seems to feel that something's not right, even beyond the fact that Mommy just hasn't shown up yet.

Aunty Lois says that whenever she gets in trouble with bad men, Uncle Clark has to come and save them before she can hurt them too bad
Lol! What a perfectly Lois response. Hehee.

I love the whole scene with the kids and the general chaos just before everything *finally* starts. Being the third of six kids, I can remember countless of such personal experiences--with me as one of the attention-needing kids or the overwhelmed adult. laugh (though I like to think it's more of the latter than the former wink )

“Aunty Ash, I think Mommy’s in trouble,” Marta broke through insistently.
Why? Why?! You're bringing up so many questions, Hasini! You're going to have us all hooked and begging on bended knees for answers!

“He called her about the flowers!”

Ash froze.

The curtain bell rang out.
How is it that a simple statement about flowers can seem so ominous? I love how you've made these sentences so short, so frozen in shock, so disconnected after the noise and general hubbub around the kids.

“And in a full Men In Black ensemble, no less,” commented the woman, as naturally as though the remark was part of a conversation between them, muted to the world until that precise moment. “I hope you haven’t dragged me here to tell me more fairy tales. I’m nearly missing my daughters’ school nativity play as it is.”
lol. Perfect first appearance of Lois Lane. Cool despite the creepy guy dressed in black (nice description of him, btw!), completely uncowed, forward, and just . . . so Lois!

“You came alone,” said the man, as though she hadn’t spoken. “I didn’t expect that. I thought you’d outgrown your propensity for foolish stunts, Lois.”
Oh, no. Lois! I think we'd all hope the same thing, though that's clearly not the case. How has Clark stayed sane all of these years?

“Would I have been safer from your thugs if I had come with a cavalry?” returned Lois, a touch of sarcasm in her voice. “What makes you so sure I haven’t, by the way?”

“I’m not, which is one of the reasons why you aren’t dead yet,” returned the man.
Who is this guy? Again, I love how completely cool Lois is so far--I'd be freaking out. But even alone, she's completely in control of the situation.

“Like I said, more fairy tales,” Lois scoffed. “If you’d wanted me dead, Archer, I’d have been fodder for the earthworms for the past week. Since I’m not dead, I’d have to surmise that you don’t want me dead. Which means you are in fact, on my side. Being at anyone’s mercy is not a situation that’s arisen for me for the past ten years, and I’m not going to let it happen again.
So she hasn't been captured or anything in ten years? A miracle!

But what has caused the change? Clearly there's something going on here that makes Lois put herself back on that line of danger . . . But for what?

“How do I know it’s not a dud?” she asked suspiciously, taking it.

“You’ll have to trust me” the smirk on Archer’s face widened, irritatingly.

“Not as far as I can throw you,” Lois scoffed.

“I thought you said I was on your side? Like you said, I didn’t kill you did I?”

“For now. I know you’ll try when the time is right.” Lois didn’t betray a trace of fear.
Hearing this is like watching two talented swordsmen fence. They're both dancing around each other, testing the others' strengths and weaknesses. It's intriging to "listen" to.

Suddenly, a deafening explosion sounded as the jeep disintegrated into a furious ball of flame. Flaming wreckage was thrown high into the air, coloring the black, still water of Hob’s Bay fiery orange before they fell into its depths. Screeching tires and the sickening crunch of metal on metal were heard as other drivers frantically swerved to avoid being hit by the flying debris. Screams pierced the air.
What?! Noo!!!!!

Already? Already?! <dies>

He didn’t see the small figure in the bloodstained white coat lying unconscious and undiscovered, near the sidewalk of the highway, several feet away from the explosion.
Oh, Clark! Hurry and find her!

Hasini, you've dived into this story tooth and nail and I'm quite honestly . . . well, I was going to say speechless, but by all the writing I've done it's clear I'm not. Rather, I am so very, very, very impressed at your mastery of this very difficult language, of the vivid and beautiful/horrifying scenes and images that you've imprinted into my mind, and the veil of mystery and intrigue that you've drawn over the whole thing.

Congratulations and thank you so very much for sharing. I've always loved stories on the theme of lost memory, etc, and this is looking like it's going to be very, very good indeed. I'm certainly looking forward to more!

This being my first fic EVER, I promised myself I wouldn't post till I got at least five chapters written, but my muse is on strike and I need to do something crazy
Hopefully the reviews will help! They always help me!

Looking forward to your next chapter!

SmirkyRaven

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hasini, this is looking *GOOD*.

I'm really picky about fics with kids, violence, and in this case, both. :p But it's just written really, really well, so it's not even an issue for me.

I thought the challenge was fascinating when you first posted it; the way you have answered it so far feels like it's going to be a hell of a ride! I am definitely going to try and keep up with this one!

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
*Looks at all the wonderful, lovely FDK*

*dies* smile1

Hasini.

“Is he dead, Lois?”

“No! But I was really mad and I wanted to kick him between the legs and pull his nose off and put out his eyes with a freshly sharpened pencil and disembowel him with a dull letter opener and strangle him with his own intestines but I stopped myself just in time!”
- Further Down The Road by Terry Leatherwood.
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Sorry I haven’t had time to leave more feedback, but you know I loved it.

Holy Valar, Hasini! I've known for a while that English wasn't your first language, but I have to say that I am already downright floored at the tone and complete chill and stillness that permeates throughout these first few lines. Your imagery and description is stunning, and catches the feeling of doom and tension even if we don't know what's going on . . . yet
When Hasini asked me to come on board as a beta, I wondered what I was getting myself into. Boy, was I blown away. I still can’t get over how good she is. And I still can't believe she worried that she couldn't possibly write a story that was any good. Bah...

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
Merriwether
Merriwether
Even if one can have a great grasp of the English language, you need imagaination and the creative ability to string it all together. You have that my dear! I love the seriousness and how you colour your characters so well. I already dislike that iron fisted teacher.

I'm looking forward to a family fic. I usually don't read them, but I'll be looking out for this one. I really hope I remember. I might have to send a reminder on my computer!!

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
If it helps, I’m not an excessively gory person myself, so I doubt people will find the action too hot to handle!
You know, the funniest thing in the world to me is that I read serial killer/rapist novels for fun all the time. I just adore James Patterson. But I tend to stay away from it in fanfic? Oh God, I must be getting too attached to fictional characters, HAH. <g>

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
And more! dance

What do you mean, you haven’t left feedback Nancy? You’ve given me feedback for every other revision of this prologue and chapter one! What would I do without you? Continue in my atrocious over-use of the common comma until their labour union goes on strike, I suppose.

Roo- at last, somebody who is pro-family fic! Your compliments left me with such a nice warm, furry feeling. Glad I have you on board!

Shadow – I don’t read James Patterson, but I definitely am a fan of Robert Ludlum and Jeffrey Archer. You tend to stay away from thrillers in fanfiction? I hope you continue to make an exception in my case, though!

Chapter 1 is going up in another 24 hours. If my betas don’t kill me before then!

“Is he dead, Lois?”

“No! But I was really mad and I wanted to kick him between the legs and pull his nose off and put out his eyes with a freshly sharpened pencil and disembowel him with a dull letter opener and strangle him with his own intestines but I stopped myself just in time!”
- Further Down The Road by Terry Leatherwood.
T
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
T
Lois is dead? Lois is not dead? Lois should be dead? Lois shouldn't be dead?

thud

Sorry it took so long to find time to read this. I have been busy with assignments. But oh wow this is good. I like this. A lot.

More! More! Oh wait I have Chapter 1 and 2 to go yet. Well more after that please. You cannot leave us hanging. Though if you have planned five chapters ..... what are you creating here? An L&C Iliad or Bible? Not that I mind but if so I am going to have block out a set time in my weekly schedule to read your stuff!

And yes - why is this your first fanfic? Why have you been lurking and commenting and not writing? You have deprived us all and I will *never* forgive you! wink

Also the world cup is on - are you watching - we trashed the windies! *happy dance*

Scuttling off to read the rest of what you have written so far in anticipation......

The Little Tornado.

The Little Tornado is ....

Marisa Wikramanayake
Freelance Writer & Editor,
Board Member of SoEWA and Writing WA
http://www.marisa.com.au
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard