Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#39447 02/20/07 06:45 PM
ShayneT Offline OP
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Well, what do you think? I've been flattered and grateful for the feedback so far.

F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Lois’s lips quirked. “I’m not here for you, really. I was sent back to save the world. You’re just a bonus.”
“You won’t believe me,” Lois said, “But maybe you’ll remember this conversation. He can fly, Clark. And in ten years he’s going to be murdered.”
Yes! dance

Lois nodded. Now that the Metros had openly attacked Bobbie, it was just the first step in a gang war that would definitely involve casualties. People were going to die.
Hmm, Time for Superman!

Framework4
Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
Getting complicated!

As usual, Shayne, your storytelling is outstanding. keep it coming!

Nan

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
K
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
K
Shayne, I adore this story. I can't even say more than that, except that I'm really curious to see where you're going from here. You're doing a lovely job; I'll definitely be sticking around for the ride.

Kaylle

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
It's great, mystifying and intriguing. And it leaves me with a pit in my stomach.

Ann

Merriwether
Merriwether
So, this Lois doesn't know that CK will be/was/is Superman but she knows both die.

I think, therefore, I get bananas.

When in doubt, think about time travel conundrums. You'll confuse yourself so you can forget what you were in doubt about.

What's the difference between ignorance, apathy, and ambivalence?
I don't know and I don't care one way or the other.
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I have the feeling I keep repeating myself, but it might be because you keep surprising me... I didn't think Clark would stay through her whole 'I'm from the future' explanation.

I'm really dying to see where you're going with this. Great story smile

Cris
P
Columnist
Columnist
P
Lois doesn't know Clark is Superman? That took me by surprise. I thought she knew smile

And I love it, at the end, when she starts telling Clark about Superman. She doesn't know who she is talking to, but for Clark, that would be quite a story to hear! ooh! smile

I love the way you write Shayne. Your storytelling made the scenes very vivid. It's as if I was watching a movie.

I'm hooked. Please, post more soon.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
This is fabulous. Please post more, quickly. I have no idea where this is going, but I'm sure enjoying the ride -- in a nail-biting kind of way.

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Another excellant instalment.

It's fun to watch this unfold as Lois continues to screw-up the future. Considering how many different ways there are for this plot line to go, your path is always both logical, yet continues to give us surprises along the way.

As things get more desperate, and this new Lois' life continues to spiral out of her control, I can almost see this world turning into that fear-wracked one that the alt-Clark lived in before Lois came and created their Superman.

Looking forward to more.

Tank (who reminds Shayne that, since he'll be out of town for a while, the next instalment should wait until at least Sunday to post... the gentle readers won't mind the wait)

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Grrr! Maybe some of us aren't so gentle, Tank! More! More! More!

Seriously, this is an excellent story. You keep surprising me, too. And Clark's bewilderment at Lois's facility in Aunt Opal's house has got to make him accept at least part of her wild tale.

I wonder just how badly her younger self has messed up. Her current situaiton makes me wonder if there might be a drug deal lurking in the background somewhere, or maybe young Lois is running an illegal poker tournament and raking in even more money.

Since she apparently has the older Lois's event memories, why doesn't she realize how stupid it is to put gambling winnings in an interest-bearing account? That's like sending up a flare to the IRS and yelling out "I have money! Come get some of it!" But it does play into her younger self's immaturity and apparent belief that she's bulletproof.

And if someone's been following her bets with ten times the amount, no wonder someone else is really steamed. She may find herself in enough danger that Clark will be forced to reveal himself to her. Would she then help become Superman, or would he turn from her because he's not ready yet to be the world's protector?

Tank is right about one thing (actually, he's right about a lot of things, but this one in particular): Lois has destroyed her life as she once knew it. It's too late to fix things now. Events are spiraling out of control, and she may have precipitated a gang conflict that will turn Metropolis into a darker version of Gotham City. If all you wanted to say with this story is that we each make an impact on others just by living our lives, you've made that point.

And you've done it with such an engaging and powerful story, Shayne! I'm ready for the next chapter, and the next, and the next, until I don't even recognize the world you are so masterfully creating.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
BJ Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Wow, Shayne, I really enjoyed this chapter.

You’ve got the boss thinking you’re one of those psychics. He’s been following your bets up, times ten.
eek She's helping Luthor build his empire? How creepy is that?

She’d almost lost Clark tonight, and it made her realize that the future she’d known before was gone forever. There would be no first meeting in the Daily Planet newsroom. There would be no witty banter, no getting to know each other….no long nights at stakeouts and conversations about silly things.”
Poor Lois. She's finally realizing the consequences of jumping in without testing the water level, but there's no way to go back now. mecry

Or, is there? Can you fix this? Will you fix it, please? grovel

Oh, and Tank ...
Originally posted by Tank:
the next instalment should wait until at least Sunday to post... the gentle readers won't mind the wait
I'm with Terry, here. I think you should bite your tongue. I, for one, am not so patient. I can't wait to see Clark's reaction to Superman ...

Lovin' it,
BJ

C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Shayne - I have been remiss in not telling you how much I'm enjoying this. Of course, I read parts 4-7 today smile . That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Seriously, I'm with the others in wondering why young Lois would jeoparidize the future - or does she just remember enough to pick game winners? *has flashes of Back to the Future* Does she feel that it's hopeless since she missed out on the DP? Did something happen with Grandma? Her parents? Does she remember everything older Lois does but perhaps see something more that older Lois doesn't? [Don't ask me what by the way] Older Lois doesn't remember what younger Lois is doing - maybe dad is forcing her or something? There's more to it than we think. Maybe because she lost a few days when Lois first arrived and then several more [days? weeks? I forget] when Lois writes for the Star etc. she thinks she's losing it so what does she have to lose?

Anyway, quite intruiging and I can't wait to see where it goes next!!!
Carol

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

Great part! hyper

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Love it, Shayne, cant wait for more. I cant wait to see how Clark reacts to Superman either. And I'm with everyone else, I dont want to have to wait til Sunday either
Kate

Come on Lois you havent said a word since 1866!

Thanks for the avatar, Hana.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard