Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#34675 11/27/06 11:02 PM
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
Hi,

I'm hoping that some readers are still around and find time to leave some comments... even virtual tomatoes and rotten eggs. wink

Waiting while biting my finger nails.

Yours Jenni

M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
Jenni, despite that I am new to this story, I just read 19 and 20 and WOW! I am definitely going to catching up on the earlier chapters after work tonight. Have a good day!

lisa in the sky with diamonds
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
I'm at work right now so I don't have time to read the new section.

However, I just wanted to say how thrilled I am that you are posting again Jenni! I have been reading and enjoying this story from the beginning. Once I have read the new part I will be back with proper comments.

-Em

"But my experience is that as soon as people are old enough to know better, they don't know anything at all."

-Oscar Wilde, "Lady Windermere's Fan"
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I'm so, so happy this story is back, Jenni! Right yesterday I was thinking about this story. What a surprise when I opened the boards today and there it was. smile1 I'm hungry for new chapters. drool

Andreia smile

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

~ Superman: Man of Tomorrow #15
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I, too, am so glad to see this story back!

This chapter is so appropriately named With A Little Help From My Friends. (Ah, my sweet youth and the Beatles!) But really, I love how Clark's (and Lois's) friends are there for Clark (and Lois). Perry and Jimmy write just the necessary article giving the appropriate explanation of Clark's return. Matt makes an appearance as Jor-el, explaining how he found "his father's friend" Letour in China. Jimmy reassures Lois that she and Clark will be all right. Dan Scardino arrives as the government agent whose job it is to ascertain what Clark learnt during his time in North Korea. (I was really quite moved by Dan Scardino, how he did what he could to help Lois and Clark, apparently out of a deep admiration and probably even love for Lois.) And Bernard Klein and Adrienne and Stephan will do what they can for Clark, of course.

Obviously, though, my favorite scene was one with Lois and Clark. This is my favorite paragraph from this chapter:

Clark stopped eating and placed his hand by the side of Lois' cheek. "Something tells me I didn't marry you for your culinary skills." His finger smoothed over her skin, touching gently the tiny lines by her eyes, which the years of his absence had etched on her face. "I have no complaints, Lois. I don't think I could have asked for a more perfect partner."
I also love how you showed us that while Clark's memory of his past life is almost completely gone, he remains in every way that counts the same wonderful person that he's always been:

"The one thing we did discover is that Clark loves you and the kids and he's over the moon to be home, but he's a dead end for any strategic information we might want.
Clark is back, and he's going to be OK, Lois.”

“You believe that?”

“Yes, I do. Clark might have appeared mild-mannered, but I don't think I ever met a stronger man... and I'm not talking superpowers. That strength will help him get through this, and he has you. I'd say it's guaranteed he'll be fine.”
"I wouldn't say that you and Dan were friends exactly..... Passing acquaintances is about all."

"Well, he seemed an OK guy. Strange dress sense though. Do security agents usually wear Haiwiian shirts?"
"I have no idea who you are," he gasped through clenched teeth, "or if we worked together, but I very much doubt you were ever my... good buddy!" Clark sarcastically repeated the other man's earlier words.
Climbing back into his bed, Clark leaned against the pillows. "I suspected he wasn't on the level... and when he started talking about Lois in that way... well... I guess I lost it. I wanted to knock him out." He shrugged in self-derision and ducked his head. "Not exactly a sterling reaction from someone who was once Superman."

"Don't worry about it. Ralph is enough to make a saint resort to violence. I've felt like punching him myself a few times since he's been working for the Digger... and, take my word for it, Ralph's been thrown out of many places in the past few years. We should just forget about him. A sleazeball like Ralph isn't worth the hassle."

"Probably not." Clark's voice steadied and his gaze came back up, as he recognized a certainty. "But I don't think I would have used force in the end."

"I know you wouldn't." Jimmy smiled in agreement. "That was never your way."
Yes, Clark is the same person that he was, and what is lost is really rather superficial. Clark really, desperately needs to get rid of his terrible headaches, and of course I understand that he wants to get his memories back... but on the whole, he is back already. This chapter made me feel that if Clark can only find a cure for his debilitating headaches, he will be all right - and he and Lois will be all right - even if never regains his memory.

Your story is such a lovely tribute to the wonderful man who used to be Superman. The "super" of Superman is gone, but the wonderful man remains.

Ann

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Yay! Jenni is back! You made my day, do you know that? party

This chapter seems to me like a transitional chapter, before it comes to the surgery. But I love the way you show Clark´s character even in his amnesia.

That was the truth, Clark decided as he glanced over at his friends. As each day went by, he grew more comfortable in the company of the people with whom he'd once been close, and this afternoon he'd discovered something else about himself. He'd met two strangers from his past and he'd instinctively known which one had proved a threat and which one wished him well... which wasn't bad for someone with no recollection. Jimmy was correct. His lack of memory had no bearing on who he was... what he thought about and believed in; who he cared for and loved..... In all the important details, he was still Clark Kent, and no one could change that.
That´s it! You are hitting the nail squarely on the head!

He may not be Superman for now, but he´s still a super man!

Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
So many great lines in the story and so little time…

“I think that occasionally you're a bit over-protective, but I understand why. You lost Clark because of the powers, but it turned out you never lost him; he just went AWOL for a while. That was a scary time for you, Lois, and nobody comes through that unscathed. It's natural you should worry about Matt... and he is young.” Jimmy watched as Lois walked over to the couch and sat on its worn surface.
I find it interesting how Lois has assumed the role of the “worrier” in the family. But Jimmy is right, having children and years of being a single mother are bound to have that effect.

That was the truth, Clark decided as he glanced over at his friends. As each day went by, he grew more comfortable in the company of the people with whom he'd once been close, and this afternoon he'd discovered something else about himself. He'd met two strangers from his past and he'd instinctively known which one had proved a threat and which one wished him well... which wasn't bad for someone with no recollection. Jimmy was correct. His lack of memory had no bearing on who he was... what he thought about and believed in; who he cared for and loved..... In all the important details, he was still Clark Kent, and no one could change that.
I absolutely loved this whole part. Other people have commented upon it, but I feel I also had to mention it.

This was such a nice part to read. I can’t wait to see how the story concludes.

-Em

"But my experience is that as soon as people are old enough to know better, they don't know anything at all."

-Oscar Wilde, "Lady Windermere's Fan"
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

Welcome back! grumble

Ralph tried not to smirk triumphantly. Yes! His source had been correct and Kent was suffering from amnesia... or was pretending to. Ralph had no idea what could be behind such a pretence, but he was determined to investigate and this time he was in the driving seat. This time his byline would appear on the only interview with Clark Kent, recently returned abductee from a foreign land... and if the story didn't have legs, there was always Ralph's well-honed imagination. He was about to make Kent famous!
I think he is late. He should buy the Daily Planet. :rolleyes:

"What's that, Jim?" Clark took the proffered bottle, which Jim had opened, and had another thought. "Have these beers been OK'd by the staff?"

"See, you are still a boy scout, which proves what I was going to say. You're pretty much the same CK you ever were, even without your memory." Jimmy grinned at his discovery, feeling smug as he pulled over a bigger and more comfortable chair. "And stop obsessing! Not only has it been OK'd, but Bernie is joining us...."

"Bernie likes football?" Clark's expressive eyebrows rose again.

"To tell the truth, I'd say he likes hanging out with you more than the game. Normally, Bernie's a solitary guy; a bit of a workaholic, but you, Lois and the kids are the closest he has to a family. I think he just wants to keep you company."
Love it! hyper

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
Just caught up on this story and I love it so much! Can't wait to read the next chapter.

lisa in the sky with diamonds
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Echo, echo, echo! I'm also glad to see this one back, Jenni. I was concerned that real life had overwhelmed you, and as a result we'd never find out what eventually happens in this very touching story.

I think my daughter would term it "emo" meaning "dramatically emotional." Not that that's a bad thing, you understand. It's a very good thing, especially when it wears such a beautiful garment as this story. I anticipate that Clark will regain enough of his memory to be an effective father and husband once again, but I don't anticipate a return of Superman.

But I've been wrong before. And if I was wrong now, it wouldn't hurt my feelings. I just hope Lois lets those doctors live after they operate. She's liable to rip them apart and put them back together as conjoined surgeons with their heads beaten down between their shoulders.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
Hi all,

Wow! I was surprised and honoured to know you guys had welcomed back my story so well. smile

I was a bit afraid you would have lost interest because I kept you waiting so long.

You have no idea how relieved I was to finally type 'The End'. wink

There were times when I also thought my real life would drown out my muse. I don't think I've ever taken quite this long to write a story, but I hope I've eventually done the subject justice.

But, I have to make an apology. I did make a mistake with the number of chapters. There are only 22.

Thanks again for your wonderful comments. smile

Yours Jenni

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard