Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#33337 10/11/06 03:50 AM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Great chapter--your writing style is getting better, clearer and more detailed, too.

“Do you blame her? You took away her freedom of choice. For all intents and purposes, you raped her. You abused your powers to take away her right to choose,” Clark said harshly. He was sounding more and more like Jonathan Kent, or at least how Kal-El thought his father would have reacted. “Right now, I would like nothing better than to tan your hide like cheap leather,” Clark added.
What everybody seems to forget is that, at that point in time, Lois was practically BEGGING him to make her forget, even though she didn't know he could. She couldn't bear to look at Clark every day, knowing that he was Superman, and not tell the world that she was in love (or that Clark was Superman, possibly).

"You take turns, advise and protect one another, even heal or be healed when the going gets too tough. I know! That's not a game--that's friendship!" ~Shelly Mezzanoble, Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons & Dragons Game

Darcy\'s Place
#33338 10/11/06 04:18 AM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I had to butt in, because I totally disagree with DSDragon. Yes, Lois asked Clark to help her forget, but she didn't know he was going to oblige her by totally wiping her mind. The way I read Lois, she asked Clark to take away the pain of losing him, not totally take away her memory of something that had happened to her in her life. If Clark wanted to help her forget, why didn't he ask her if she was okay with the idea that he would totally blot out her memory of everything that had happened between them? Heck, if I were to say to somebody, "Oh, I wish somebody could help me forget," that would not imply I was asking somebody to give me total amnesia.

No, if you ask me, Superman's behaviour was just plain horrible! Worst of all was that he was so happy and pleased with himself after he had robbed Lois of her memory. At least he seemed utterly smug and satisfied in the closing shots of Superman II.

By the way, I stll love your story, Dandello! It's just that my hackles rise every time somebody defends Superman's behaviour in Superman II, so I had to vent some anger before I could start writing any sort of feedback. As for your story, I think you did a very good job showing us how another Superman, Clark II, would totally, utterly disapprove of "Kal-El's" behaviour. I'm very glad you had Clark take him to task! Oh, and "Wanda" certainly needed to have Lois talk to her, too. This was extremely well put:

“No, I’m married to Clark Jerome Kent who happens to have a second job that doesn’t pay at all well, that involves dressing up in a blue body suit and red cape so he can go flying around rescuing people, and having bad guys shoot at him,” Lois said. “Clark Kent is the one who said ‘I do’, takes the kids to school, helps pay the bills, holds my hand, sleeps in my bed, and was my birthing coach for four babies. Superman didn’t do any of those things. He can’t. He’s not a person, he’s a job description. You need to be looking for the man doing the job, not the description.”
Just great! thumbsup

As I said, I still absolutely love your story. One little detail which I find so totally adorable is that Lara Kent and Jason Kent are so incredibly similar!

I eagerly looking forward to the rest of this!

Ann

#33339 10/11/06 04:33 AM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
My wording above was a bit off, I admit. That's what typing as you go will do to you--especially trying to type clandestinely in an LnC forum when you're at work. wink

My point was that Lois seemed, to me, like she at least wanted to forget some of it (whether to forget the pain of "losing" him or to forget something she couldn't tell other people--she is a journalist, after all--I don't know). I was wrong with the begging part though--totally a bad word choice.

No, if you ask me, Superman's behaviour was just plain horrible! Worst of all was that he was so happy and pleased with himself after he had robbed Lois of her memory. At least he seemed utterly smug and satisfied in the closing shots of Superman II.
I didn't see him as smug at all. In fact, I think that kiss might have started as a way to comfort her--that's what it looked like to me, anyway.

And then afterward, when she fainted, he asked if she was okay and tried (as bumbling Clark, of course, which meant he didn't do very well) to get something to help with her sudden fainting spell. THEN, I think he realized that she didn't remember anything about it--when she asked, "What was I just talking about?" or whatever she said.

The making her forget part, to me, was forgivable, since I don't think he knew he was making her do it. But waiting six years (per this fic) to tell her what she'd forgotten (whether or not he thought they could be together)--THAT would be the very-very-very-very-difficult-to-forgive part.

I have to say though, I must be at least a bit dense, 'cause I never connected the kiss from Superman II with Kryptonian telepathic powers from L&C until I read it in this chapter--thanks for pointing that out, Dandello!

Oh, and from what I gathered from the movie (and the book, which doesn't mention or even intimate at all that Jason is his son--which is totally weird), Superman took only FIVE years--2½ there, 2½ back--to go to Krypton.

"You take turns, advise and protect one another, even heal or be healed when the going gets too tough. I know! That's not a game--that's friendship!" ~Shelly Mezzanoble, Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons & Dragons Game

Darcy\'s Place
#33340 10/11/06 04:47 AM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
This will be my last post about Superman II in this thread, I hope.

I didn't see him as smug at all. In fact, I think that kiss might have started as a way to comfort her--that's what it looked like to me, anyway.

And then afterward, when she fainted, he asked if she was okay and tried (as bumbling Clark, of course, which meant he didn't do very well) to get something to help with her sudden fainting spell. THEN, I think he realized that she didn't remember anything about it--when she asked, "What was I just talking about?" or whatever she said.
I quite agree, he didn't seem smug when he was with Lois after he had taken her memory away. He was just so totally happy and smug afterwards, when he had - sorry about putting it so harshly - totally gotten away with dumping her. Do you remember him flying, in that closing shot, and winking at the audience? As if he was saying, "Hey, I couldn't be happier, I got away with sleeping with the girl and stealing her memory afterwards, so I got to enjoy her body and I will have to do nothing for her in return! Ah, being Superman is so useful! I can sleep with a girl, and I don't have to deal with the consequences afterwards, because I can mindwipe all the consequences away!"

I hated him in that movie. Hated, hated, hated him. Not before he took away her memory without asking her permission, but afterwards. I think his behaviour was unforgivable!

Ann

#33341 10/11/06 04:56 AM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
As far as I remember, all of the Superman movies end with a "smile for the camera" moment. (STM, SII and SR all do--I'll have to watch SIII and SIV again to see if they do or not.)

Whether that moment in SII was meant to look smug or not, I don't know, but since it wasn't unique to that particular movie I don't think it was.

And I agree, this is enough debate about SII for the moment.

Getting back on topic:

Love the story so far! Keep it coming, and I'll keep reading!

Darcy\'s Place
#33342 10/11/06 07:35 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
“When you look in the mirror in the morning, who looks back at you? Clark Joseph Kent, son of Jonathan and Martha Kent, or Kal, son of Jor and Lara of the house of El? When they find your dead body, who do you want them to identify you as?”
That´s it! I think Kal-El never really thought about that. In the movies I always had the feeling that he doesn´t see himself as a real person in his Clark Kent persona. But why? He was raised as Clark Kent and was nearly of age when he got the information about his origin. Even the comics have changed this approach to Clark Kent and made him a real person, but in the movies it´s still the same problem. mad

As far as I remember, all of the Superman movies end with a "smile for the camera" moment. (STM, SII and SR all do--I'll have to watch SIII and SIV again to see if they do or not.)
I never saw S IV, but I can tell you S III does laugh

#33343 10/11/06 07:48 AM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
That´s it! I think Kal-El never really thought about that. In the movies I always had the feeling that he doesn´t see himself as a real person in his Clark Kent persona. But why? He was raised as Clark Kent and was nearly of age when he got the information about his origin. Even the comics have changed this approach to Clark Kent and made him a real person, but in the movies it´s still the same problem.
Probably because the Superman from the comics at the time that the movies began didn't think so either. The first movie was Pre-Crisis, and therefore, also before the re-vamp during which Clark became the real persona. (Or at least that's the impression I got from the history of the comics/movies/LnC/etc I read at redboots.net.)

Once the movie was made, it--and all of its sequels including SR--became its own alternate universe, separate from the comics. Just because the comics now recognize Superman as the disguise and Clark as the real man, doesn't mean the movies do.

Darcy\'s Place
#33344 10/11/06 08:48 AM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Just out of curiosity, Dandello, I was wondering how you came up with the title Plane Storm for this fic. It's kind of interesting, and I was wondering if it might/might not have something to do with foreshadowing at this point--or something to do with what happened to bring "Charlie" and "Wanda" to LnC-World--like a storm and lightning hitting the same airplane flight in both worlds at the exact same time or something.

Or, oooooh, could it be "plane" like as in "astral plane," meaning that there's some sort of storm going on between planes of existence?

Sorry, I'm a bit of a busybody. If something involving the title's significance will come up in a future chapter, just tell me to shut up with my speculation for now.

Darcy\'s Place
#33345 10/11/06 11:59 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Plane Storm is a take off on a title of another story I did many moons ago in another fanfic: Time Storm, which is a time travel story and its sequel
A Different Reality, which is a related dimension shift story
The SHADO Library

The storm itself is simply an act of God ala the film 'The Final Countdown'.

Last edited by Dandello; 07/12/16 09:43 PM.

Big Apricot Superman Movieverse
The World of Lois & Clark
Richard White to Lois Lane: Lois, Superman is afraid of you. What chance has Clark Kent got? - After the Storm
#33346 10/11/06 01:50 PM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
That´s it! I think Kal-El never really thought about that. In the movies I always had the feeling that he doesn´t see himself as a real person in his Clark Kent persona. But why? He was raised as Clark Kent and was nearly of age when he got the information about his origin. Even the comics have changed this approach to Clark Kent and made him a real person, but in the movies it´s still the same problem.
Well, that was a conscious choice he made when he gave Lois the amnesia kiss, I think. From then on, he was Superman, Kal-El, not Clark Kent. He kissed his own humanity away when he decided that he could not be honest with Lois anymore, and never share himself again with a human woman.

EDIT: But DSDragon is right, too. The movies were made before Clark had become the real person, and back then, people were not expecting Clark Kent to be the "real" person behind Superman. Practically everybody expected Clark to be the shallow disguise. But I remember this time, the late seventies, and I remember it felt as if the people who owned the Superman franchise wanted to make a decision about who their hero really was. Was he the the godlike guardian of humanity, untouched and unsullied by human affairs? Or was he primarily a very good man who was struggling to balance his personal life and love with his duties as Superman? I remember waiting so eagerly for Superman II, which, I felt, might resolve many of these questions. There was a lot of speculation going on. Would Superman choose to live his life with Lois from now on? Would love and human concerns play much a larger in his lfe from now on? The answer we got from Superman II was a resounding no. I felt as if this movie wanted to give us the final answer as to who Superman is, and the answer was, he is not Clark Kent.

And by the way, Dandello, I have also wanted to ask about the title of this fic. I have also been thinking about airplanes. But maybe we should read the "plane" as in a plane of reality, as DSDragon suggests?

I so, so much appreciate that you are addressing the choices that Superman made in Superman II and in Superman Returns, Dandello!

Ann

#33347 10/11/06 03:22 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Oh, and from what I gathered from the movie (and the book, which doesn't mention or even intimate at all that Jason is his son--which is totally weird), Superman took only FIVE years--2½ there, 2½ back--to go to Krypton.
The novelization states he was gone five years, but also Jason is five years old. Uh, he was born 7 months early? (The novelization also mentions the Metropolis River and the City Bridge, when New Troy Island is between the Hobs River and West River and I have no idea which of the many bridges between New Troy and the suburbs is the City Bridge.Abd what self-respecting city would have a bridge named 'City'?)

The film script simply indicates 'a long time'. HOWEVER, the dateline on the Daily Planet article one year after Superman's disappearance is September 2001, which means he left in 2000, which is six years from 2006.

Big Apricot Superman Movieverse
The World of Lois & Clark
Richard White to Lois Lane: Lois, Superman is afraid of you. What chance has Clark Kent got? - After the Storm
#33348 10/12/06 03:17 AM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
There was an article from a year after he disappeared? I've seen the movie twice, but I never seem to catch these things--especially not the dates on articles. Thanks for the recap.

Darcy\'s Place
#33349 10/16/06 02:16 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

Great part! hyper

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard