Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#32254 08/30/06 01:32 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
She couldn’t live with seeing him every day, knowing that he was searching her for signs of the woman he’d loved and finding her wanting. He would never see Lois Lane as anything more than a pale and cranky shadow of Wanda Detroit, and it was easier for both of them if he realized that now.
This explanation is so characteristic of Lois, especially early Lois, and yet it also makes me want to hit her upside the head. Oh, Lois.

Your description of Perry made me grin. And this:

How strange it seemed to say his name out loud to someone else. Even his name seemed personal and private somehow, as if it were meant just for her.
made me smile. Rather bittersweetly, considering their current situation. But it made me smile nonetheless.

I'm really glad Perry laid down the law. Lois needs someone to make her start screwing her head back on straight and jolt her into at least trying to be reasonable, and he's just the right person to do it.

I really enjoyed the little touches of humor you added to the story, Caroline. I've come to think of that as being one of the welcome and distinctive traits of your writing.

She would just have to start hating all of the women upstairs on principle. Or maybe it would be easier just to hate all of the women in the whole building. She didn’t like most of them much anyway, so it wasn’t like it would take a lot of extra effort.
Hee!

And the seeds are set for the appearance of Superman. Excellent. smile1

Thanks for posting before leaving. Have a safe trip!

Chris
"Superman is a guy who's seen wonders we'll never see and Lois is to him, one of those wonders."
#32255 08/30/06 02:56 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
smile Excellent!!

She had suddenly remembered that Clark was outside the conference room somewhere, and now that corner seemed like the perfect place to spend the rest of her career.
I loved that - it's so Lois. hehe!! smile And it's so well said! notworthy

“Whoever he is, he has one of the world’s most perfect butts. It should be in a museum somewhere. There should be poems written about it. I may write one myself.”

Her friend burst out laughing. “I want to read that.”
Yes, please, I'd like to read it too. wink

This is such a wonderful story so far! I'm absolutely loving it! smile

Superman: Why is it that good villains never die?
Batman: Clark, what the hell are good villains?
=> Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
#32256 08/30/06 05:34 AM
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
Yea! So happy to see this.

She could still see the hurt that had flared in his eyes when she had dismissed their night together so cruelly. He had looked... shattered, and she had been the one who shattered him. She had been the one who, with a few brutal words, had sucked the light and hope out of his eyes.
Lois, I hope this haunts you for days. Maybe it will convince you to stop being a selfish brat.

Can't quote the entire Perry conversation, but here is my response: YES! I am so glad to see him take Lois to task; he usually lets her get by with so much. But she really did cross a line. Maybe I will quote just a *little* bit:

“And I’m also suggesting that if you ever hit me with an ultimatum like that again, you’d better have your resume up to date. I’d hate to lose you, Lois, but no one is irreplaceable. Remember that.”
Go, Perry! Take that, Miss Queen of Reporters.

(I do like Lois, I really do, but she has moments when I just want to hit her. The ultimatum to Perry was one of them.)

At least Lois has enough decency not to accuse Clark of harrassement.

I must admit that if Clark Kent came to work in my office, I would probably be in the ladies room gossiping about his assets too!

She felt offended on his behalf that women in the building were jokingly composing poems to his physique without knowing anything about his sweet spirit and quick wit. She’d only had time to catch glimpses of those things herself, but she knew instinctively that they were what made him special.
Just when I want to give up on Lois, she redeems herself. Maybe there is hope for her yet.

She couldn’t help letting her eyes slide toward the place where she’d last seen Clark standing. He was still there, his hands shoved deep in his pockets, and he was making no attempt to hide the fact that he was watching her. She felt the bottom drop out of her stomach at the intensity of his gaze, and she turned quickly away.
Great words. I can almost feel the intensity myself.

lisa in the sky with diamonds
#32257 08/30/06 05:41 AM
Columnist
Columnist
yeah I want to hit Lois too but her thoughts at the end and the elevator scene made me want to hug her and tell her everything will be alright.

Great part. smile1

#32258 08/30/06 06:04 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

Great part. thumbsup

Still, she was baffled by this odd feeling of...was it protectiveness? possessiveness?

Maybe it was both.

Whatever it was, she knew it was outrageous for her to be feeling that way, in light of her own outright attack on Clark. She had no claim on him and no obligation to protect him.
Hope she will think more about it.

What will happen when Cat attack? laugh

“Chief, Jimmy is a kid.”

“Fine. Then take Kent. He’s free.” Perry gave her a challenging look. Maybe their earlier altercation hadn’t been completely forgotten.

“Jimmy’s fine,” she said quickly. Except it wasn’t true. Not only was Jimmy ridiculously inexperienced, but he was also still standing with Clark Kent, chattering and gesturing wildly as if they were new best friends.
Jimmy! hyper

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
#32259 08/30/06 08:29 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Happy to see this one. You always do Perry's character so well IMO.

This one would make an excellent qoute in a game. thumbsup

She would just have to start hating all of the women upstairs on principle. Or maybe it would be easier just to hate all of the women in the whole building. She didn’t like most of them much anyway, so it wasn’t like it would take a lot of extra effort.
laugh

I think this is also what I love about Lois character in the series, the take no prisoners attitude she has to life. Her supreme belief in her own point of view no matter the odds.

I do know you, and I know you wouldn't lie... at least to me...most of the time...
#32260 08/30/06 08:38 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
OMG...this is so sad. Why did Perry have to offer Jimmy?

But as the elevator chimed its arrival, she couldn’t help letting her eyes slide toward the place where she’d last seen Clark standing. He was still there, his hands shoved deep in his pockets, and he was making no attempt to hide the fact that he was watching her.
Why didn't he just say...take Clark! But I guess you have a reason.

Now about your posting schedule...more often please! This is a great story and I am anxious to see the next post! party

I'm a firm believer in the fact that God doesn't put any more on us than we can bear. He does however make us come to Jesus every so often.
#32261 08/30/06 01:13 PM
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
I'm so very glad you're showing the fallout - total and completely unexpected fallout - of casual sex with a stranger, even one who has good character. Oddly enough, that sounds like an oxymoron to me - how can a person with good character engage in casual sex with a stranger? Even if the strangers are as manly and handsome as Clark, and as hot and sexy as Lois - er, Wanda?

I agree with earlier posters who thought Perry's statements to Lois after he talked to her about her ultimatum were totally in character, completely on target. He was angry and let her know it, and made sure she knew that she'd crossed a line that she should never have even approached. But he also treated her with some patience, and even some compassion, when he suggested that she take Clark with her on the Messenger story but didn't force him on her.

Lois needs some time to come to grips with what she's done, and to admit to herself and to Clark that she was seventeen kinds of idiot that night. And whether or not Clark will forgive her (of course he will - eventually), she has to apologize for everything. And I mean EVERYTHING! This isn't at all like Clark keeping Lois in the dark about Superman's real identity. Clark never demanded that Perry fire Lois or himself. Clark never seduced Lois into spending the night with Superman (although I'm sure he was tempted once or twice). As badly as Clark behaved in keeping the truth from Lois, this is so much worse because it was deliberate on Lois's part.

You know, condoms aren't 100% effective. I wonder...

Nahhh!

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
#32262 08/30/06 02:29 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Wow so this butt poem...do you have it? Nice job. Poor tortured Lois. More soon. Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
#32263 08/31/06 12:22 AM
C
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
C
Thanks, everyone, for your responses!

Chris, Lois *does* need to be hit upside the head. Fortunately, she's good at getting herself into the type of situations that result in being hit upside the head, so I can probably arrange that in due time smile

Laurach, I don't have the butt poem but would love to write it. It would make a very funny epilogue, I think. Unfortunately, I'm the pits with poetry. Of course, who's to say these women are any better?

Why didn't he just say...take Clark! But I guess you have a reason.
Yeah, I think being forced to work with Clark at that point would have pushed Lois right over the edge, and for all Perry's bluster, he doesn't want to do anything that's going to cost him his star reporter. He's not going to force them to work together, and she's not going to do it voluntarily.

Plus, from a sheer technical standpoint, I don't want to completely re-write the pilot. Everyone's already seen it anyway, and I'm not comfortable with the idea of how much "borrowing" I'd probably wind up doing if I put Lois and Clark together on the Messenger investigation. With her investigating with Jimmy, I can cover the investigation indirectly, drawing on what people remember from the pilot, and focus my writing on the mess she and Clark have gotten themselves into.

Terry, it sounds like you and I share a similar worldview, at least as regards Lois and Clark's behavior in this story. I don't completely agree that a person can't be of "good character" and still engage in casual sex, only because I think anyone is capable of having his or her judgment compromised, especially when faced with an intense attraction to someone else. We all do things from time to time that violate our personal code of ethics, and if we're lucky, they're small things that are easy to remedy. This was a bigger thing, and it's going to take time to resolve.

In this case, I think "casual sex" is the oxymoron. Though for different reasons, neither of these people is really capable of it. Lois was trying it on for size, thinking that she could just bury whatever feelings existed when she was done with them, and Clark had his fingers crossed (figuratively) when he agreed to just one night. He was hoping to talk her into more, and it wasn't until she disappeared before he even had the chance that he realized how foolish and short-sighted he'd been.

I've put these two characters into a situation where they're forced to confront this mistake immediately - because it makes a story - but I think there would be consequences - fallout, as you put it - for them even if they'd never seen each other again. I can't imagine Lois ever venturing out as Wanda Detroit again, for instance, and I certainly can't see Clark ever giving his hormones quite such free rein.

I could probably ramble on some more, but my coffee break is over and I need to start my day. Thanks again to all who took the time to offer feedback smile

Caroline

#32264 08/31/06 12:46 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Great part! smile1

Andreia cool

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

~ Superman: Man of Tomorrow #15
#32265 08/31/06 01:54 AM
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Caroline, thanks for responding to my comment about casual sex. You explanation makes perfect sense, along with your comment that we all violate our personal moral and ethical standards more often that we'd like to admit. And I also agree that 'casual sex' is the real oxymoron, whether it's just in this story or in real life.

I wasn't trying to condemn either of these characters, nor was I putting down your story. My original comment was intended to refer to people who engage in oxymorons on a regular basis, not Lois and Clark specifically. (It sounded perfectly clear in my head!) You've done an outstanding job of showing how damaging it is to any relationship to put the cart before the horse.

The romantic in me hopes you resolve this without too many heart shards scattered around the landscape, but the parent in me knows better. This is going to be a seven-Kleenex ride no matter how it's resolved, and I'm going to be watching, because overall this is an outstanding story.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
#32266 09/01/06 10:13 AM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Caroline, let me begin by quoting your reply on the FDK thread rather than your story itself:

In this case, I think "casual sex" is the oxymoron. Though for different reasons, neither of these people is really capable of it.
The way I see Lois and Clark, I wholeheartedly agree. There is not, and will never be, anything "casual" about them when they make love to each other.

Lois was trying it on for size, thinking that she could just bury whatever feelings existed when she was done with them
I didn't get the impression, when I was reading your story, that Lois was looking for a one-night-stand when she decided to be Wanda that night. It just so happened that she met Clark when she was Wanda, and because of the tremendous attraction she felt for him, and because she was being Wanda that night, she seduced him. Like you said, she thought she could just leave that night behind her and expect it never to trouble her again.

Clark had his fingers crossed (figuratively) when he agreed to just one night. He was hoping to talk her into more, and it wasn't until she disappeared before he even had the chance that he realized how foolish and short-sighted he'd been.
I love that image of Clark with his fingers crossed - even I, who have seen so few of the actual LNC episodes, recognize that one!

I think there would be consequences - fallout, as you put it - for them even if they'd never seen each other again. I can't imagine Lois ever venturing out as Wanda Detroit again
Absolutely true. In the long run, Lois would be obsessing about Clark almost as much as Clark would be obsessing about her. She could never put on her Wanda clothes again (or any other "disguise" for that matter) and go looking for a casual flirt with someone who wasn't Clark. I also don't see her venturing out as "herself", as Lois, for any sort of casual little fling, either. Not when she could still remember that night she had spent in Clark's arms - and how could she ever forget it?

I'm usually an incredibly staunch defender of Lois, but in this story I think that she is the only one who is at fault. I don't blame Clark for anything he did, and I don't blame Lois for what she did that night. To me, the troubles start the moment Lois decides, in the cold morning light, that her night with Clark wasn't "real" because Clark had been with Wanda and not with her, and Wanda isn't real. The problem is that Lois panics when Clark insists that Lois is the woman that he spent that magical night with and that he wants to be with her for the rest of his life.

To me, Lois's talk about Wanda not being real is exactly the kind of nonsense that makes me so furious with Clark sometimes, when he insists that he isn't Superman, or that Superman isn't real.

However painful it was for both of them right now, she couldn’t let him think that their night together had been real. She couldn’t live with seeing him every day, knowing that he was searching her for signs of the woman he’d loved and finding her wanting. He would never see Lois Lane as anything more than a pale and cranky shadow of Wanda Detroit, and it was easier for both of them if he realized that now.
Isn't this exactly the kind of reasoning that made Clark keep mulishly silent about his double identity? Isn't the the kind of justification Clark used to explain why he rejected Lois as Superman? Worse, isn't this why he worked so hard at trying to make Lois fall in love with him, while at the same time he took every precaution to make sure that Lois never learnt who he really was - because if she learnt who he was, then she might love him for somebody he was not! I hate it. So Clark has kept the truth about himself from Lois for fear that she might start comparing Clark with Superman and finding Clark wanting. In your story, Caroline, Lois is all but panicking at the thought that Clark is going to be looking for Wanda all the time, but he will only ever find Lois.

Well, I've been telling all and sundry that I have little patience or sympathy for Clark when he's lying to Lois. I had even less sympathy for Lois when she was trying to get Clark fired. Like everyone else here, I was very pleased that Perry gave her a sharp warning not to try to pull such a stunt again.

This was perfect:
“Are you afraid of him, honey? I mean, he seems like a nice enough fellow to me, but looks can be deceiving. Has he threatened you? Harassed you?”

Yes!

She wanted to say it so badly. Perry was giving her the perfect out, and all she had to do was to say that Clark Kent was dangerous. All she had to do was weep a little and say that she was afraid of Clark, afraid to be in the same room with him.
Lois is in danger of sinking lower than she ever has in any fanfic I can remember, if she is going to accuse Clark of harrassment.

She couldn’t do it, though.

Clark Kent was the most dangerous man she’d ever met, but not the way Perry meant. Never like that. And as much as she wanted him gone, she couldn’t bring herself to tell that particular lie. Not when she could still remember the gentle touch of his hands on her body and the sweet nonsense he’d whispered in her ear. Not when she could still remember how safe and content she’d felt in his arms.
She doesn't do it, though. I often think of Lois as a woman whose body wants one thing while her mind wants something else entirely. Lois's body wants Clark. Her body wants him so badly. Her body recognizes him as her perfect mate, as her one-in-a-million mate, as her one-in-the-universe mate. And her body will not let her accuse Clark of harrassment. Her body, I think, can't bear the thought that Clark will not be a part of her life again.

But her mind wants something else entirely. Her mind panics at the thought of commitment, of daring to trust a man. Of making herself dependent on a man. That's what her mother did: she made a commitment to her husband, she trusted her husband, she made herself dependent on him. And he left her, humiliated her, cheated on her, crushed her spirit and turned her into an alcoholic wreck. And the first time Lois herself dared to trust a man, when she was with Claude, he used her and humiliated her, too.

No one has ever upset Lois's equilibrium as much as Clark has. He made her feel safer and happier in his arms than Lois would ever have thought possible. Her body is crying out for him. But what would happen if she ever gave in to him? He would be looking for lovely Wanda all the time, but he would only ever find cranky Lois. Surely he would grow tired of her. Surely he would desert her. And by the time he abandoned her she would have grown so dependent on him that she would die of loneliness and self-disgust when he left her.

Lois is acting like a frightened child in this story. She really is very childish. Like a child, she is extremely self-centered and can see only her own needs. All right, Caroline, she probably shouldn't have spent that night with Clark. Not because I ever blame Lois and Clark for reaching out to one another, for making love to one another. No, but because Lois is, when it comes to her mentality, a minor here. She is too young to have sex, because she can't deal with the consequences.

I hope you will let Lois grow up somewhat. I hope you will find a way for her and Clark to be together. But whether you do or not: this is a beautiful, delightfully written story. Thank you so much for sharing it with us!

Ann

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard