Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#32030 08/26/06 12:47 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Oh, I was so thrilled to see a new chapter of this story posted!

his mother, whose psychic powers far exceeded Wanda Detroit’s
That made me smile. I really liked how you wrote the Kents in If I Were You, Caroline, and if we get to see more of them here, I'm sure I'll enjoy that, too. You make them entertaining characters in their own right, and in just a few words, can make us see their strong presence in Clark's life.

He’d spent his entire life trying to fit in but still feeling as though he were set apart; with Wanda, he finally felt as though he’d found a person who could anchor him to earth, to humanity.
I like that the role Lois plays in Clark's life is so neatly summed up in that line. And was felt so instantly with Wanda.

“Actually, ‘bump’ isn’t really the right word. It’s more like the road is...washed out.”

“Washed out?”

“There’s a big storm, lot of damage...it happens sometimes.”
Hee. That made me laugh. Clark's little tornado has been busy.

Loved how Lois talked about Wanda in the third person, nice parallel to how Clark did the same with Superman.

Why are you talking about yourself in the third person?”

“I’m talking about Wanda in the third person because she isn’t me.”

Clark tried to follow that. Failed completely. “You just finished saying that she doesn’t exist at all. So who did I spend the night with?”

“Wanda.”

“The person who isn’t you and who doesn’t exist,” he clarified.

“Exactly.” She actually looked pleased, like a teacher who had finally gotten through to a slow pupil.

“You realize, don’t you, that you’re not making any sense? I mean, really, none at all. You can’t change your whole identity by changing your hair and clothes!”

“Yes, I can!” she shot back. “I fooled you, didn’t I?”

“Yeah, you fooled me,” he said bitterly. “Are you proud of that? Is that what you set out to do – to make a fool of me?”

“I said I fooled you, not that I made a fool of you. They’re not the same thing.” She wouldn’t look at him.
Yeah. That conversation was just excellent. And had so early in their relationship, too. I really like this spin on the story, Caroline.

“Please, Clark....” Her voice changed completely all of a sudden, and when he looked at her, he was horrified to see the sheen of tears in her eyes. “Please don’t do this to me. It was supposed to be one perfect night...just one night...and you’re ruining it.” Her voice broke. “You’re ruining everything.”
Oh, Lois. I know she's the one not being reasonable about all this, but much like Clark, I'm not impervious to Lois' tears.

Really looking forward to the Lois POV in the next chapter.

Chris
"Superman is a guy who's seen wonders we'll never see and Lois is to him, one of those wonders."
#32031 08/26/06 01:44 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

Great part. hyper

“Please, Clark....” Her voice changed completely all of a sudden, and when he looked at her, he was horrified to see the sheen of tears in her eyes. “Please don’t do this to me. It was supposed to be one perfect night...just one night...and you’re ruining it.” Her voice broke. “You’re ruining everything.”

He was ruining everything?

It was too much, on top of everything else. It was just way, way too much. His chest tightened at the sight of her tears and the bittersweet sound of his name on her lips, but he refused to be swayed. He was in the right here, and he wasn’t going to let her manipulate him into believing otherwise.

“It quit being perfect the minute you left,” he told her around the lump in his throat. “Right then, it became...what did you call it? A stupid one-night-stand. And that was your choice, not mine. I wanted to know you. To know...everything about you. And you weren’t willing to give me that chance.”
Don't let her get away with it. mad

She had lied to him, deceived him, pretended to be someone she wasn’t, and now she obviously wanted nothing more than to cost him his job. He should be running away from Lois Lane – running as far and as fast as he possibly could, which was very far and very fast. He was almost afraid to analyze the impulse that was making him stay, but he was pretty sure it didn’t have as much to do as it should with wanting to be a reporter for the Daily Planet.

The only thing he was absolutely sure of was that he was sorry – sorry for both of them – that the fleeting pleasure they’d found together now had the power to cause them so much pain.
hyper

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
#32032 08/26/06 02:06 PM
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
I was so happy to see this chapter!

decided to act out the lyrics to a bad country song.
smile

he knew he would be looking for her every day
You won't have to look far.

Love all the stuff about Clark's past revelations about himself.

the Martha Kent inquisition
LOL

he’d wondered if perhaps Krypton was staking her claim.

But as he’d held Wanda Detroit in his arms, he’d felt certain that she was.
so sweet

Concerning the talk with Perry: I am really mad at Lois right now, but I am glad that Perry called her bluff and gave CK two weeks to work it out.

“Ms. Lane,” he said angrily, “I think I have a right to...”

He trailed off.

Searched the face that was turned on him in utter fury.

“Wanda...?” he whispered.
I am not sure which of them I feel worse for right now!

“I’m not most men.”
Damn straight! I am glad Clark is standing up to Lois.

I love your writing style, especially the way you let us see the ironic/snarky thoughts of the characters. Not sure if ironic/snarky is the best way to describe it, but I mean stuff like this:

He was pretty sure he could swear to that in court.
and from part 3:
when the elevator doors slid open and Clark Kent stepped out.

Just like that.

Just stepped out of the elevator as if he did it every day.
I am not explaining what I mean very well, so I will just stop trying and say I like it!

Looking forward to part 5!

lisa in the sky with diamonds
#32033 08/26/06 03:02 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I'm so glad to see another chapter! Poor Clark...I'm so glad that he stood up for himself. Please don't be so long with the next post. I cannot wait to see where the Daily Planet takes our favorite reporting team. party

I'm a firm believer in the fact that God doesn't put any more on us than we can bear. He does however make us come to Jesus every so often.
#32034 08/26/06 03:24 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
ooh - I was so glad to see this tonight - and you certainly didn't disappoint! i am definitely still reading & still loving this story - can't wait for the next part!

shells

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.

- Mahatma Gandhi
#32035 08/26/06 04:03 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
OOOOH! I'm so glad to see you posted this! Yay!!!

he’d lost his mind and maybe his heart and decided to act out the lyrics to a bad country song.
awwww... poor sweetie. smile (although, I must object: there is no such thing as a bad country song! *lol*)

He had a ship?
hehehe. smile I really like that you're bringing all these things at this point in time. smile

with Wanda, he finally felt as though he’d found a person who could anchor him to earth, to humanity.
awww!!! smile Love this!!

to pillow his head on the clouds and wrap himself in a blanket of stars.
Positively brilliant! smile

You realize, don’t you, that you’re not making any sense? I mean, really, none at all. You can’t change your whole identity by changing your hair and clothes!
you think? LOL!!!!

I am so loving this story!! laugh It's excellent!! I especially like that the whole "you lied to me about who you are" is turned upside down. I can't wait to see what comes next! smile

Superman: Why is it that good villains never die?
Batman: Clark, what the hell are good villains?
=> Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
#32036 08/26/06 05:28 PM
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
You realize, don’t you, that you’re not making any sense? I mean, really, none at all. You can’t change your whole identity by changing your hair and clothes!
you think? LOL!!!!
LOL Lara, I didn't even think about that angle. Duh. smile

lisa in the sky with diamonds
#32037 08/26/06 05:43 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Originally posted by MrsMosley:
you think? LOL!!!!
LOL Lara, I didn't even think about that angle. Duh. smile
hehehe! I thought that was soooo clever and funny! smile Just perfect. I wonder if Lois will have an opportunity to throw that right back in his face..? Or is that what gives him the whole costume idea? Hehe! I can't wait!!!

...back to a little scene at the Lexor hotel, I go... there's chocolate envolved, so I'd better not make Lois wait too long before she gets to eat it, right? wink

Superman: Why is it that good villains never die?
Batman: Clark, what the hell are good villains?
=> Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
#32038 08/26/06 05:49 PM
F
Kerth
Kerth
F
First off, delightful.

Second, please, please, please, please, please, have Superman completely and totally ignore Lois.

Don't have him fly Lois back to the Daily Planet, pick someone else, have Clark be certain Lois will see through Superman at once and thus keep his distance.

Not one Superman story, have Linda King at the Star name him "Superman", Have Paul Bender with LNN get the first "interview", but a sloppy TV style one so that Lois rants on about the waste.

Framework4
#32039 08/26/06 06:04 PM
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Wow. Clark recognized Wanda sooner than I thought he would, but Lois's response is just as schitzophrenic as I thought it would be. Now she's the one speaking of herself in the third person!

And Clark (who, of course, will soon be Superman) telling Lois that a change of clothes and hairstyle doesn't change the person? Hilarious despite the intense circumstances! And I also anticipate that Lois will have a tough time getting anything from the Man of Steel besides a steely stare, and how long with that go on before she figures out Clark's dual identity?

This has so many possibilities, so many different possible paths to take, and any of them will be fascinating. I wonder how long it will be before someone worms the truth about Clark and "Wanda" out of Lois (Clark won't tell anyone, surely!) and Lois goes ballistic about it.

I just had a kind of a thought. This kind. evil

Picture this. Perry pins Clark to the wall because now Clark knows what Lois has against him but won't tell Perry because of his agreement with Lois so Perry figures it out (part of it, anyway) and turns the tables on Lois and tells her Clark is hired (because he does such good work) and she's the one who'll have to make it work.

Am I close? Am I even in the ballpark? Hurry back so I can either crow or eat crow!

Funny about those two phrases, isn't it?

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
#32040 08/26/06 07:51 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Had to catch up on my reading with this story AND I'm not the least bit disappointed that I did. In fact, I'm totally hooked! thumbsup hyper hyper

#32041 08/26/06 10:46 PM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Once again, thanks to everybody who has posted FDK already, thereby helping me to get a better handle on this story. Let me start by quoting two of Incognito's comments:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Actually, ‘bump’ isn’t really the right word. It’s more like the road is...washed out.”

“Washed out?”

“There’s a big storm, lot of damage...it happens sometimes.”
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hee. That made me laugh. Clark's little tornado has been busy.
Clark's little tornado swept away the entire road... I love it!!!!

And let me go on quoting Incognito:
quote:

Oh, Lois. I know she's the one not being reasonable about all this, but much like Clark, I'm not impervious to Lois' tears.
Like Incognito, I'm a Lois fan. I hurt when she hurts. Yes, I very, very much disapprove of her unreasonable behaviour towards Clark in this story, but that still doesn't mean I want Clark to punish her. I hope he can allay her fears and make her dare to approach him. That's what I'd like to see. Of course, I agree with Framework that the most likely development is that Clark becomes Superman and starts avoiding Lois like the plague when he is in the suit. Surely this Lois will see through his flimsy disguise, and he must prevent that from happening if he possibly can. Because so far, he really has no reason at all to trust Lois.

Second, between Lisa and LaraMoon, all my favorite passages have already been quoted. Let me just repeat them anyway:
Every inch of the place reminded him of Wanda and of the fact that at some point the night before, he’d lost his mind and maybe his heart and decided to act out the lyrics to a bad country song.
Delightful. Delightful. Delightful. Delightful. Unlike LaraMoon, I do think there are bad country songs, but thanks to you, Caroline, I think I'm going to listen to the lyrics with a new sense of respect after this. Perhaps one of these songs really is about Superman in disguise losing his heart one night to a disguise who won't admit she is a woman?

And I've never come across such a poignant explanation to why Superman loves to fly. Hey, we'd all love to fly, wouldn't we? But we wouldn't have Superman's reason for it:
He was an alien. A visitor from the planet Krypton. At one time, he’d have cringed away from that knowledge. Holding the globe in his hand, however, he’d felt only peace. This, then, was why he was so different. This was why he never quite felt he belonged. This was why he felt most at home when he was drifting in the quiet space between the stars and the earth, as if he were waiting for one or the other to claim him.
Because Clark doesn't know where he belongs, he likes to stay in the sky, between the Earth and Krypton. And never mind that the rational astronomy buff in me insists that in soaring in the Earth's atmosphere he hasn't left the Earth at all, and the few puny miles by which he has lessened the gulf between the surface of the Earth and the surface of Krypton doesn't matter at all. Even so, this is so moving:
As he’d stood in that darkened field, holding the tiny globe in the palm of his hand, he’d wondered if perhaps Krypton was staking her claim.

But as he’d held Wanda Detroit in his arms, he’d felt certain that she was.
Clark is waiting for either Earth or Krypton to reach out to his adult self, to embrace him in a way his adoptive parents can't. The globe seemed to do it on Krypton's behalf. Wanda unconditionally did it for the Earth, at least for that one, magic night.

But now Wanda is gone, and Clark is left bereaved and vacillating, hoping to find peace in the sky:
She had slipped away from him and into the night, like a dream he would soon only half-remember. And with her had gone that confidence that earth was the place he belonged. He was uncertain now, and with the uncertainty came the urge to disappear into the night sky – to pillow his head on the clouds and wrap himself in a blanket of stars.
To pillow his head on the clouds and wrap himself in a blanket of stars... the space romantic in me is tearful with gratitude for the beauty of this.

However, this time the peace of the sky is gone for Clark.

Okay, I won't quote from Clark's very disheartening conversation with Perry. But he goes to see Lois afterwards, and I loved this:

“Excuse me. Lois Lane?”

“Yeah?” She didn’t look up. Kept typing furiously, hidden behind her curtain of hair, though Clark noted with some satisfaction that gibberish was filling her screen.
Lois is typing furiously, but she is typing gibberish. What a wonderful way to show that she is busy working, except she isn't working at all. She's just giving Clark the coldest shoulder possibly.

And this - wow:
“Ms. Lane,” he said angrily, “I think I have a right to...”

He trailed off.

Searched the face that was turned on him in utter fury.

“Wanda...?” he whispered.

“Don’t call me that!” she hissed.
Oh, wow - I'm speechless at this!

And I love Lois's attempt at explaining herself to Clark, which she can't, or won't:
“You wouldn’t understand.”

“Try me.”

“No,” she snapped. “It’s none of your business. All you need to know is that there is no Wanda Detroit. She doesn’t exist. She’s just someone I made up to...to...just someone I made up. So whatever fantasies you built up around her...not gonna happen. And if you can’t handle that, that’s too bad. Wanda told you she could only offer you one night, and that’s what you got.”
Well, Wanda did tell him she was giving him only one night. That, at least, is true. But I love this:
She’s just someone I made up to...to...just someone I made up.
Oh, what a tangled web we weave!

“You realize, don’t you, that you’re not making any sense? I mean, really, none at all. You can’t change your whole identity by changing your hair and clothes!”
Hah! Like others here, I love the suggestion that Clark apparently got the idea of his own Superman disguise from Wanda-Lois!

And this is so moving - Clark's grief at losing Wanda:
“Well, it sure feels like it from where I’m sitting. I really felt something for you...her...whoever.” He looked down at the smooth conference table. His throat had gone tight, making it hard to speak. “That night meant a lot to me.”
This is not unlike Lois's frustration at not being able to have Superman, even though canon Superman never made love to canon Lois before they were married and she knew everything about him.

But this is even more moving:
“Yeah,” she said acidly. “It meant so much to you that when you saw me the next day, you didn’t even know me.”
This is just like Clark's frustration at Lois's starry-eyed hero-worship of Superman, while at the same time she's ignoring him, Clark! Yes, you did make me feel Lois's pain when Clark didn't notice her on his way into Perry's office in the previous chapter, Caroline! Both Lois and Clark feel that their disguises are being adored, while the real person is ignored.

And all of this - oh, how sad and painful:
“See! This is exactly what I’m talking about – why you working here could never work. You just can’t let that go, can you?”

“It’s a pretty big thing!”

“And you’d never forget it, not as long as we both worked here. It’d just be this big, awkward thing between us, and you’d never be able to see me as anything except some tramp you’d picked up in a bar...”

“I never thought of you like that!”

“...and you’d probably spend half of every day trying to look down my blouse or up my skirt, and I don’t need that. I’ve worked damned hard to get where I am, and I don’t intend to let a stupid one-night-stand ruin everything!”
And suddenly Lois's anger melts away, and is replaced by her tears:
Incognito's quote all over again! But it so moves me.

And this whole conversation is perfect:
“I wanted to know you,” he insisted. “You just didn’t feel the same way about me. And that’s fine – that’s your prerogative – but don’t dress it up in a bunch of talk about perfect nights and people who don’t exist. You wanted a guy for one night, and you got him. What I don’t understand is why you want to punish me for it. I need this job. I earned this job. All I’m asking is that you give me a chance to do it.”

“What about everybody else?” she asked in a low voice. “Is the whole newsroom going to know…how we met?”

He gave her an incredulous look. “Is that what you’re worried about? That I’m going to go around bragging?”

“Most men would.”

“I’m not most men.”
Clark won't give up his job without a fight. More importantly, he won't give up Lois without a fight. And Lois voices another of her fears, that she will be made the object of cruel gossip once again. But Clark won't tell anyone about them, because he is - indeed - not like most men.

And I just love this little sentence:
Lois….” He was surprised at how right the name felt on his tongue.
Well, Lois and Clark are off to a rough start, that's for sure. This story is totally fascinating, and the possibilities it opens up are - not endless, but there sure are many of them! Well, I'm a lover of happy endings, and I hope there is going to one eventually. After a lot more heartache and angst, of course!

Ann

#32042 08/27/06 12:24 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Caroline,

Let me know how you think I did.
No problem. I thought you were going to have them work together, Clark not recognizing her and Lois not divulging her "secret identity" because she thought Clark really wanted Wanda.

I do know you, and I know you wouldn't lie... at least to me...most of the time...
#32043 08/27/06 03:36 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Hi Caroline,

Thank you for the heads up about your newest story. I certainly enjoyed reading "If I Were You" and now I am caught up on this one. You write Lois and Clark so perfectly and now I’m hooked. laugh

How devastating for both Lois and Clark to find that their beautiful night together was not what they hoped it would be. Now the reality of the situation is stunning both of them. I am looking forward to the debut of Superman and how the alter-ego thing is going to unfold in this reverse secret identity plot.

Please Write On! smile1
Anne

#32044 08/27/06 03:56 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Wow very emotional/Poor Clark. Lois is one confused b*tch.Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard