Next Thread
Print Thread
T
TOC Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Wow, Toc!!! This is brilliant! I love it! Lois is the orphan from Krypton, not Clark. And her Angel-Mama, who grew up in sad and bad foster homes and died of leukemia(?) when Lois was six, was the one who gave Lois her morals and her ideals.

I love this concept! It's brilliant! You must finish this story. You must, you must, you must!!!!

Wow. Super-Lois. Oh, imagine her meeting Clark Nice Ordinary Boy Kent. Imagine them falling in love. Will she fall like a ton of bricks for him? Will he be comparatively unimpressed with her? Will he be ever so slightly reckless? Will she have to save him, maybe as Ultrawoman?

Come on!!!! This story has to be told. It has to. You got the ball rolling. Now please finish what you started!!!!
hyper hyper hyper hyper hyper hyper

Ann

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Oh wow!! Ditto Ann!!!!!

I especially loved this moment here...

She remembered Mama, but the glorious full colors of that time when she’d been the happiest had faded into pale watercolor hues. Always beautiful, but muted with time.
This is just beautiful and bittersweet. Heartbreaking. thumbsup

Nicole smile

Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
It is a very interesting twist having Lois come from Krypton. The premise has all sorts of possibilities.
This is beautifully written story. I see that Nicole has also quoted this line, but I can't resist quoting it as well:

Lois’s earliest memories were bittersweet. She remembered Mama, but the glorious full colors of that time when she’d been the happiest had faded into pale watercolor hues. Always beautiful, but muted with time.
This line is so descriptive and conveys the idea of fading memories wonderfully. It resonated with me.

She could feel the tears starting in her eyes. Mama wasn’t going to be able to stay much longer. They were running out of time.

Mama’s eyes were starting tears, too. Once again, Lois tucked her head up close to Mama’s, and they stayed that way a long, long time. Snuggled tight and crying.

Saying goodbye.
This part nearly brought tears to my eyes, and that doesn’t happen to me very often when reading stories.

“I won’t ever forget, Mama,” she whispered as the casket was lowered into the grave. “I won’t ever forget that you love me. I won’t ever forget about the dragons. And doing what’s right. I promise.”
Now the doctors were leading Lois to the car, the big black one that Mr. Dr. Lane drove. Lois bit her lip and climbed into the back seat. She was going to be strong, so Mama would be proud of her. She was going to fight dragons when she grew up.
It will be interesting to see how the dragons have manifested themselves in the present.

Between the fact that most of this post consists of flashback, the fairly tale references, and the skillful writing, this story has an almost ethereal quality. Quite unexpected for a story entitled “The Girl Next Door.”

Can’t wait to see what the next part has in store. There are so many questions I have just from the first part. Will the identity of Lois’ deceased mother be of any importance? What is Clark’s background? Was he still raised by the Kents? Did this Clark come from Krypton as well? My imagination has been stirred by this post.

-Em

"But my experience is that as soon as people are old enough to know better, they don't know anything at all."

-Oscar Wilde, "Lady Windermere's Fan"
Blogger
Blogger
I like it! Can't wait for more! smile1

Clark's Gal
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I have to echo Ann and Nicole's earlier comments — this is *such* a brilliant concept, and the writing is just gorgeous. So hauntingly beautiful — I love love loved this first heart-breaking chapter, and can't wait to read the next part!

~ Crystal

"Not all those who wander are lost." — JRR Tolkien
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Not feeling particularly elloquent at the moment, but count me in, too! Ditto angelic_editor. smile

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
Columnist
Columnist
Oh interesting idea. Great part and the writing really hooked me. I hope you'll finish this story. Can't wait to read further.

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Janet

A fantastic start! smile1

Tricia cool

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
This is *so* interesting! It's initially difficult for me to place Lois in with the super powers, just because it's something different than I'm used to, but I can't wait to get sucked into another part! Annd I can't wait to see what ordinary Clark Kent is like, well assuming he makes an appearance and that he's ordinary...So many possibilities!

Jen
dance

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
What an incredibly fascinating concept! I'm left kind of breathless with awe. I absolutely love the set-up, with little Lois and her Mama, who has primed her to be a heroine, just like the Kents primed Clark in the Superman mythos.

There do seem to be many places to go with this, and I'm curious as to which path you've chosen.

Can't wait to read more!

Chris
"Superman is a guy who's seen wonders we'll never see and Lois is to him, one of those wonders."
Blogger
Blogger
I agree with everyone else, this is really good! I'm wondering, though, is Clark still going to be Kryptonian? Or will he be ordinary?

Wash: Everything looks good from here...Yes. Yes, this is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... "This Land." I think we should call it "your grave!" Ah, curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal! Ha ha HA! Mine is an evil laugh! Now die!
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

Great start. hyper

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard