Print Thread
K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
K
Eesh! I went and nabbed the feedback folder, and then realized I'm too tired to think of a witty title for it. blush Maybe I'll change it later. wink

Anyway, this part is creepy! Well, maybe that's just me and my reaction to Lex. smile1 It's just... well, the characterization has just been so spot on, that you don't even realize how good it is until paragraphs like this hit you when you're least expecting it. And if that didn't make any sense, just keep in mind that it's far past 3am. wink

Sara (who has no shame in being smug that she has more parts in her in box goofy )

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

Top Banana
Top Banana
Kae!!!! Oh my goodness, I still can't believe you're actually *posting* this! Last week I was screaming when I saw the toc... it couldn't possibly be true! But it was! And then I only had time to read it until this morning. So I'm very happy to get part two right away. <g>

Anyway, this is excellent! Better than I could ever have expected. I fear for Lois. I like Dave. <g> Luthor is creepy, but what else do we know of him? And Clark... the poor boy is suffering again. Gotta love that! laugh

I'd gush more, because I really am in awe, but once again, I simply do not have the time. But you just make sure you keep on writing, Kae! I'm very intrigued and Sunday's are suddenly a lot better!

Saskia smile

I tawt I taw a puddy cat!
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Eeeep!!! Like Sara said! Honestly, Luthor gives me the creeps and worse.... Darn, he scares me.

And whenever I read about Lois marrying Luthor, I keep asking myself how the heck she could even think of doing that. How could she be so blind? So stupid?

I think you give us an answer which is as good as any I've come across. Lois was indulging her own inner little-girl princess and princess dreams:

Lex. Her husband. A man she should be happy to see after being away for four days. So much for her little girl's dreams of meeting Prince Charming and living happily ever after with him.
Of course, those little girl's dreams weren't her only reason for marrying Lex, because more importantly, Lois found herself very alone and pretty much abandoned by those she had depended on. So she believed in Lex probably because she wanted and needed to believe, or hope, that he was Prince Charming, who'd come to save her and make her happy for the rest of her life.

I also loved the fact that Lois compared Lex's palace with a castle from a fairy tale:

Well, she was living in a palace that looked grand enough to be that of a princess.
If you read those old fairy tales, you'll note that the Prince's castle is often described in more detail than the Prince himself. Reared on fairy tales, and wanting to believe in them, Lois may have fallen in love with Lex's fairy-tale riches and the good use he seemed to put them to, rather than with the man himself. And please note that in the fairy tales, the Prince who lives in a castle is always a fine and good man, and always a great catch for a girl.

But the castle that Lois lives in could easily be taken right out of your nightmares. That bodyguard Gary who just emerges, soundlessly, out of the shadows and confronts her when she comes home - he made me jump almost as bad as Lois. And this little description of something in Lex's palace made my skin crawl:
Expensive copies of old masters adorned the walls - the originals were locked somewhere in a vault under the building. Lex had once mentioned it to Nigel in front of her, but he'd never taken her there or even shown any wish to.
Yeah, well, you may get more than you bargained for when Lex finally takes you there, Lois. Who knows, maybe Clark will keep you company in that vault, locked in a Kryptonite cage?

But even though Lois knows that she doesn't love Lex, that she is even grateful that they have separate bedrooms, she still doesn't like the idea of cheating on him, or even of divorcing him, I think. Undoubtedly this is so because of the bad example set to her by her father:

She was repeating what she had suffered from as a child.

She was becoming what she had always loathed.

She was turning into her father.
Well, she realizes that her father's betrayal of his family isn't comparable to her divorce of Lex. But still she feels bad about walking out on Lex, I think, and she doesn't want to compare Lex's inadequacies as a lover with Clark's cherishing of her:

And now she couldn't blame it on herself any more, she mused as memories of her night with Clark rushed back to her. She pushed them away, feeling too embarrassed to contemplate them in this less than private place. Lex could come in any moment, and she didn't want to be thinking about Clark then.
You sure make me worry about Lois, Kae. Marrying Lex was the very, very worst thing she ever did in her life. This is going to be a ride that will get much, much worse before it gets any better, I can definitely see that.... But I don't doubt that you will make the nail-biting agonizing wait worth it!

Ann

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I am very happy to read this story as the first part is one of my my favorites. And the beginning seems promising.

Yet, I can't fully understand why Lois goes back to *live* with Luthor *after* having an affair with Clark, realizing that she loves him and deciding to divorce him. Normally, I would say that this is dishonest towards her husband but Luthor of course is dishonest himself. In this case, it's wrong towards Clark.

Can't she really realize what he must think and doubt? She has made a promise to him and she has duties towars him.

Of course, you make good work by reminding us of her father but for heaven's sake, this is a completely different matter: she doesn't have children.

So why not meet him once, tell him - and move to the hotel?

Gabriele
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Ugh Creep-o-meter.

He had to do what he should have done six months before: ensure that Luthor’s true self was finally revealed to the world, and that he rotted behind bars for the rest of his life.
That's right you should have done it six months ago!!

:p Anyway. Oh, I was going to say something else too. Oh yeah, her thoughts about she turning into her father--that's gotta hurt. Granted, I don't feel the least bit sorry for Lex since he's a psychopath, but she doesn't know that yet, so I do feel sorry for Lois. That's gotta be one heck of a guilt trip.

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I think this was always my favourite segment of the story as I've read it so far, Kae. It's just beautifully written, with such wonderful turns of phrase and a rich sense of atmosphere.

You convey Lois's loneliness and sense of unease with Lex and the lifestyle he's given her wonderfully. I can see her so clearly, rattling around that huge, sumptuous but sterile penthouse. So very claustrophobic.

And I just love Dave. All of your original characters, in fact, are so solid, real. The dialogue in the scene between Dave and Lois just sparkles.

And then of course...Lex. shock I think your take on him has to be one of the downright creepiest I've seen. He just oozes menace overlaid with charm. <shudder>

More, Kae, and soon, please! I'm loving this.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Kae, I am SO sorry for not replying sooner. I began something or other in part 1... and then ran off with a bad excuse, kind of like SOMEONE we all know and love razz

Okay, I know, I'm gushing. But... well this is long overdue!!!! And... okay, this is the part where I say you're brilliant. I know... but... YOU ARE!!! I mean, LOOK:
if anything, their first time together had reinforced her reservations about their marriage.

She sat on the bed with a sigh, her fingers absently playing with the silken spread.
This is *amazing*! First of all, it breaks my heart. Breaks it in two, I tell you! (And I was only just getting happy!) This is the loneliest image ever, it has to be... and I just love this picture of her, touching the silk... the one thing that really represents Lex Luthor and her whole wedding day. Wealth. Luxury. Money. But she's beyond lonely. Incredibly unhappy. And living with the consequences of her actions, realizing everything a bit too late (or it seems to late, but I know it's not because you're going to put her and Clark together because that is the nice thing to do!) wink ... this lonely image is just so beautiful written, though. It hits so hard, brings home for me what she's done here. And my heart breaks for her. She got in over her head... great job showing it with just one snapshot, one image that says none of that straighout, and manages to say all of it, plus so much more thumbsup

And I love that she realizes how he views women... and her, at that...
Maybe his previous conquests had enjoyed being covered in expensive jewellery and designer clothing, maybe they had been thrilled by trips to Venice and London in private jets, five-star hotels and worldwide famous restaurants.
A conquest. I love that she thinks like that. You are doing so much here in this part, showing a growing awareness in Lois of what Lex is really all about, and a growing possessiveness, I'm sensing, in Lex as well. I can't help but think this is all building to... OMG you have to post more!!!!!!! SOOON!!!!!!! I need to see what it's all building to! hyper

Okay, ONE more, I promise....

The possibility that Lois might start investigating her own husband filled him with dread. He couldn’t ask for her help. Not only would it infuriate her that he still didn’t trust Lex, but if she actually took his opinion of her husband seriously, she wouldn’t hesitate to put herself in danger.
I just love this, that Clark is faced with even just the idea of Lois realizing the true nature of Lex, something he's wanted for such a long time, and he's just overwhelmed with fear for her, for what that could lead to and mean for her. That's so perfectly in character, and I'm wondering if he'll keep her out of everything just to keep her safe. That would *really* upset Lois, I'm sure, but it would just make perfect sense. I cannot wait to see what happens, what he or she or THEY will uncover and what kind of danger (and lovey-dovey situation wink ) might ensue!!! blush

I'm on the edge of my seat. So... POST! Please????

~Nicole smile

... omg.... I just saw how long this is... I... okay, I'm hitting "add reply" and then running off to change my name for my own dignity!!! (I'm not a stalker, I swear! No, don't listen to Sara. She doesn't know what's she's talking about!!!!)

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Kae

An excellent part! mecry You did an amazing job showing his emotions. Lois's loneliness is superbly portrayed. And yikes, Luthor! eek Lois has every reason to be worried.

I can't wait to see what happens next.

Tricia cool

Top Banana
Top Banana
Coming back (hey, it is Sunday) to reply to your wonderful comments and also post the new part. smile

First of all, I'm really, really delighted you guys are enjoying this so far and that you took the time to tell me so. Feedback is really what's going to keep me going here. This week was so busy for me that I barely had time to sit at the computer, which is why I didn't write a single word. I still have quite a buffer, but I really don't want to get to the point where I'm in a panic for fear of not having the next week's post ready on time. At least, not just yet. wink

Gabriele, you raise issues that made me think long and hard actually. It's part of the reason why it took me so long to get started on Belonging.

Why would Lois return to Lex after being with Clark?

Well, here's my reasoning, which I'll try to develop throughout the fanfic (up to you all to tell me whether I succeed or not smile )

Lois is just regaining some of her self-confidence and independance after being completely controlled by Lex. He isolated her (and in this premise he succeeded) then married her, presenting himself as the only anchor in her life. So she married him. She realised belatedly that the life he had to offer was not the life she originally wanted. However, leaving him meant being alone, and loneliness is what Lois fears most (deep inside, that's how I perceive her vulnerability).

Okay, so now she's with Clark. Well, sort of. Granted, they made love. But then they fought the morning after, and even though they made up before Lois left Paris, Clark doesn't represent stability for Lois. After all, he did leave. She wants to be with him, she loves him, but then she also wanted to be with Lex and thought she could fall in love with him. She made a mistake once and is afraid to make it a second time.

The other thing is that while she's not happily married, Lex is not showing his true self with her. He's still the smooth man she dated and agreed to marry. She doesn't know anything about his dark side, though deep down she knows something's just not right and he intimidates her a little. More and more because of her guilt and for other reasons that will be developed in following chapters.

I've ready a good deal of stuff on unhappy marriages, and very often it's hard for the spouse to leave, even if they're ready to admit that their marriage was a mistake. It's like admitting failure, and Lois got enough personal failures in her life to be very reluctant to admit another one.

So that's basically my reasoning so far. There will be other elements keeping her trapped for a while (but I can't reveal those yet). But I'm up to any suggestion! smile

Nicole, I just wanted to give you a HUGE hug. Your post came in one morning when I was feeling rather low, and it cheered me up SO much! Thank you thank you thank you!!! You're an absolute star!

Sas (and others laugh ), I'm glad you like Dave, but I'm also worried that you like him. Just... don't kill me, all right? goofy

Part 3 up in a minute!

Kaethel smile

- I'm your partner. I'm your friend.
- Is that what we are?
- Oh, you know what? I don't know what we are. We kiss and then we never talk about it. We nearly die frozen in each other's arms, but we never talk about it, so no, I got no clue what we are.

~ Rick Castle and Kate Beckett ~ Knockout ~

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard