A
AmandaK Online Content OP
Freelance Reporter
OP Online Content
Freelance Reporter
A
Chapter 4
TOC

I'm not super happy with this chapter. It took way too long to write it. Lots of writers block. I needed to convey some information but finding the right way to present it all proved rather difficult. Still, it's done and I am ready to move on to the parts of the story that want to write themselves.

Features Writer
Features Writer
Wow, so poignant. I'm glad that Clark was honest with Jor, even if the answers were not what I imagine Jor would want or expect.
I'm also glad that Clark is being honest with Lois and his parents. Hopefully he will heal quickly like he expects.
Looking forward for more!

Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
This is an intense chapter. I'm curious to see how the relationship between Clark and Jor develops. How did Jor find out who his father was? What happened on Krypton that forced Clark to leave. Curiously awaiting the next chapter

It's never too dark to be cool. cool
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Finally had a moment to comment on this excellent story. Please, don't stop writing it! grovel

“There is no one. The people have allowed Kal-El to lead us through this war but he does not have their trust. He has had no time to build report with them and his manner has always been considered strange. They follow him for your sake and for Jor-El’s.”

Zara scoffed. “They would not care if he died. Why should they care if we sent him home?”

A hand touched his - Zara’s – warm and comforting. “I am so sorry, Clark. You’ve given so much for us. I only wish we could give you what you most desire.”

It is a pity they couldn't send him home. Clark has sacrificed so much for a people who, as a group, do not appreciate him. On that fact alone he should go home whether or not the Council 'approves' of such an action. On the other hand, leaving those same people during a war would be very difficult. He has a tender heart and cannot bear for anyone to suffer. Pity the people cannot see that about him.

Lois looked at her lap and bit her lip. When she looked up again, her eyes were set with determination. “Just how extensive were your injuries?”

Clark hesitated, looking between her and his parents. He wasn’t sure he ought to share all the details with them. They didn’t need to know. He shook his head. “It doesn’t matter. I’m fully healed now and after a few days in the sun, even the scars will –”

"Clark.” Lois stared at him hard. She wanted to know and she wasn’t going to stop asking until he told her, no matter how much it hurt her to hear it.

Good for Lois and the Kents! Make him talk about these experiences! It will help him adjust to life back on Earth much quicker by opening up to them. This will also mean that Jor-El will have an 'easier' time adjusting to his new situation. Looking forward to reading those segments that you found easier to write! I hope the next installment is soon!

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
B
Beat Reporter
Online Content
Beat Reporter
B
A very intense flashback chapter. It really shows how hard these memories are for Clark to work through, but it's good that he does - both for himself, and for Lois, Martha, and Jonathan so they know what they have to deal with and can help him better. MAybe he should also consider seeing a therapist over these things. Like sure, secret identity complicates things, but...there must be someone to trust. Wasn't there one in Season 2? I think... (it also reminds me about something I didn't even consider: After all his experiences, is Clark even going to return to being Superman? Me might, or he might not. Both would be understandable for different reasons inhis situation).
I think part of the pain of this memories is not just the physical stuff but also mentally, like, he has to face the harsh truth that despite having spent 10 long years on NK trying to do something and putting his family on hold, he ultimately didn't really change anything, and as a thank you he was thrown off the planet and his only two friends got killed about it. (THer emight also be a guilt complex since the whole plan was basically his idea so there. Which might also be a reason he has difficulties to face Jor right now. At least, that would be a good explanation of why, after they seemed to have figured some things out a few years ago, they are so distanced now once again. THe father-reveal might also play in. I get the sense that while he doesn't openly show it, Jor was not unaffected by that revelation and the deception he got from everyone in his fam there).
Kudos for Z&C for trying to get Clark off-planet. Too bad they failed...back then at least...
Loved the Clark/Jor bonding moments, as bittersweet as they were. And of ourse there wasn't an easy answer to give to the kid...a lot of ambiguity there.
And the fact that the NK's basically give command over the war to someone who has zero experience in war or their society just due to his royal position is really telling about the stupidity of it all. Clakr is for sure trying his best but ultimately, someone who actually knows what they're doing might have been a better choice, and that's hard for all of them. Ironically, I think Clark could have done NK a better service in raising Jor to become a good ruler-in-spe than all he could have done commanding people around on the front. But of course, they'd never understand that...

Really looking forward to what comes next. I love the flashbacks, and there's certainly still a lot questions that can be dealt with, but to be hones,t I also really want to return to the present and see how things will continue now. But whatever comes next, I'll be here for it.

Up, up and away - to the next fanfic.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard