Next Thread
Print Thread
P
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
P
JadedEvie's Authors Note:

For LauraHex and Andreia, who wanted to see what happened next. And for Verity, who did an amazing job coordinating this fic-a-thon for us.

I really wanted to get us all back to Smallville, too – for at least a taste of a proper Kent Christmas – and to see if that mistletoe was still hanging around.

But I also wanted to use this epilogue to further push the idea that environment shapes a person, something that the series compellingly explores in the Lane and Kent families. Christmas gives us an explosive microcosm for this. Depending on prior experience, it brings out the best and worst days for us, and often the best and worse behavior, too.

Lois and Clark are such stunning examples of that (and foils to one another). Based on her newer experiences with her partner, Lois makes a choice to live by the rules of her new environment (Clark’s close influence). And she’s able to change her fate. Even if she needed a little help out of that non-exploding warehouse (and we all need a little help sometimes), she’s really the only one who can make the choice to save herself here.

The hope that we could all change our fates for the better, during a time of year where everyone is open to that possibility, that really feels like Christmas to me.

There isn’t a second sequel to this. This story ends on Christmas. Feel free to head over to Toomi’s Coming Soon - 2024 post to see what’s coming next for me and a number of other amazing authors!

Epilogue

TOC

Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
I loved that he actually revealed his secret to her. And it was fun to have Lois butt in several times because she didn't want to talk about Superman. :rofl:

Very sweet epilogue. Thanks for sharing.

It's never too dark to be cool. cool
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Evie!
As excitement bloomed in her chest, she realized that she could happily spend from now until New Year’s kissing him.
/eyes skeptically/

CAT: If he kisses her for that long and they’re still just kissing, they’re doing it wrong.

“Actually,” he said, pulling back, “I think I really have to tell you something.”
Oooh, this works with Cat’s remark, too!

Why did this happen every time she decided to trust someone? Had she been wrong about the water level she’d so carefully assessed? Was he going to take it back?
Boy, she does need some chocolate. Also, I still remember the water level assessment.

LOIS: And?

Ahm, nothing. Careful assessment had been going on. Yes.

Her heart wasn’t up for this kind of shatter.
/thinks of Japanese Kintsugi and considers last statement/ hmm, can her heart still beat if it’s completely good plated?

So she’d stick with her choice to trust him until he made a pattern of proving her wrong.
Awwww… so no running off to feed the cat’s neighbor? What about his needlessly dying? Breaking up with her for her own good?

CLARK: He does know that he’s not helping, right?

The look on his face wasn’t giving her much hope though.

“I said it wouldn’t be a problem for us to find flights.”
That was a lie. He can only provide flight transportation services for one of them. The other has to get there on their own.

“Well, we don’t actually need to book flights.”
Crop duster.

“I think we can fly another way.”
Crop duster!

She really didn’t want him to be going where he was going with this. How unbelievably awkward would that flight be? Especially after last night.
Oops? Just thinking about kissing Superman. Now, *that* would be awkward.

She had been planning to not think about the superhero tonight, but Clark couldn’t seem to stop bringing him up. Honestly, which one of them had the crush on the hero anyway?
laugh

Clark does enjoy undressing Superman and getting the superhero showered after a successfully heroic outing.

Clark looked surprised. “You can tell me anything, Lois, but… I think I should go first.”
Yeah, like that went so well the last time.

“No!” she insisted, a little too forcefully. Last time he’d gone first it had all gone horribly awry.
/points at lore/

“No, not this time. Look, this doesn’t matter now, not really, but I think you should know that last night when Superman rescued me, well, I – he – we –”
Hey, it’s not like you spent the night with the boyscout.

Regardless, she wouldn’t start out like this, withholding something that she knew would hurt him later, that might still hurt him now.
CLARK: help

He’d cringed when she’d said ‘lie.’ “Uh, Lois, I really think I should –”
devil

thing… with him, well, for him, but that’s over. On my side, I mean. Because of this. Us.”

When she finally stopped talking, she realized Clark was smiling.

“I’m glad to hear that,” he said.
Awwww… but Clark shouldn’t be this happy about Lois breaking up with him.

MAYSON: wave

“I know,” she interrupted again, “that you were going to suggest that we ask him to take us to Kansas.”
Eehhh…

She finally exhaled, relieved to have gotten through the confession without it escalating to the level of requiring federal aid, not to mention that it would have been the shortest lived relationship of her romantic life.
This is adorable and funny and sad all at the same time.

She was getting irritated again. She really didn’t want to talk about her erstwhile paramour with her current boyfriend.
I rally shouldn’t hunt down the dictionary definition for ‘paramour’ in an attempt of figuring out whether historically this always implied bodily love. Or as Sheldon Cooper would say: coitus.

Clark Kent was her boyfriend, she acknowledged giddily.
Only until she forgets about him. Or he breaks up with her.

[Superman…]

“Ok, then,” she said, hoping they’d move on to wherever else Clark had to tell her. “So what else were you going to say?”
CLARK: Superman…

“The thing is, Lois, Super –”

“Clark,” she snapped, her temper finally flaring, “I don’t want to talk about Superman.”

“Honey,” he caught her eyes and held them, “I am Superman.”
laugh

And then he gets up and leaves because she told him she doesn’t want to talk about/with the s-word.

She forgot how to breathe.
Maybe Clark could do mouth-to-mouth? Add chest compressions as needed in case her heart stops, too?

Right.

Right.

Clark was…

That’s why his kiss had felt familiar.
‘s cute!

…which he’d withheld from her for as long as she’d known him.
Oh, look, Christmas tree is just the right size to smack him over the head with.

Pulling her shoes from under the desk where she’d discarded them earlier, she shakily balanced to put them on while standing, needing to feel more fully armored.
This and the earlier snippet, I like how you ramp up the fortifications.

But she knew why. Why he hadn’t told her. She wasn’t stupid, after all.
laugh /looks at the Milky Way/

Especially reporters that endangered your whole way of life by nearly marrying your arch nemesis.
CLARK: But I didn’t not tell Lois just because she would no longer work with me after getting married to Luthor. That would be petty, right?

Superman really didn’t lie. …although he clearly had a deep relationship with obfuscation to be able to pull off a separate identity.
rotflol

Lois Lane was sick of terrible Chrismases. She didn’t want to remember this one as the year she lost her best friend.
Awww

He flinched, waiting for the other shoe to drop. “I guess… we have a lot to talk about.”
This and before, cute repurposing clap

“Welcome back, Cla– Oh! Superman.”
Well, that almost backfired.

“It’s ok,” he said reassuringly. He swung Lois down, and she hopped lightly to the ground, his palm on her lower back to steady her in a move they’d done a hundred times before.
See? By flying her straight to his bedroom, he could deposit her on his bed instead.

Only this time, when her feet touched the ground, he didn’t let go.
Awwww

She adored Martha, sure, but she wasn’t positive how Clark’s mom would feel about his gifting Lois the family secret for Christmas.
MARTHA: Depends. Do I still have to make up the couch for him to stay on?

So I offered to bring her here for this one, and for the next eighty Christmases or so.”
Cute.

She’d been right! That had been a sneaky proposal earlier!
angel-devil

They really did have a lot to talk about.
evil

! He’s been crazy about you for a long time, you know.”
She does drive him crazy a lot.

Clark’s hand was on her lower back as they stepped through the swinging porch door, but a second later, he was moving too fast for her to see, landing just in front of her.

Her eyes rose to meet his, dark and mischievous.
Huh? Oh… mistletoe!

Faces close, his smile was teasing as he paused to glance up. “Mistletoe.”
evil

It had taken Clark Kent, with his infinite love and gentle persistence, to break her Christmas Curse.
Awwww

And she’d been right after all, she thought, as Clark easily slid his arms around her.

This year had been different.
Awwww indeed clap

Very adorable epilogue clap /updates Kerth chart entry for ‘revelation’/

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
S
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
S
This story was emotionally intense! I couldn’t stop reading. I stayed up until 2am to finish it. The Prankster gutted Lois. It was hard seeing that happen to her.

I love that Lois called for Clark at the end. She wanted him more than Superman and made it clear that she didn’t want to talk about Superman. Clark finally just saying that he was Superman was a fun reveal. He didn’t really have a choice if he wanted her to know. The emotions and love at the end were so sweet. It helped to balance out the angst.

The ending in Smallville was lovely. I’m glad Clark gave Christmas back to Lois. Thanks for a great story!

J
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
J
Bakasi, thanks for always taking the time to comment!
I really love when Lois repeatedly interrupts (almost always to her own detriment) on the show, so had fun fitting it in here! Glad you liked that bit, too. smile

Songbird, I'm so glad that it held tension and interest for you! I'm glad that the epilogue came about because it definitely felt like we needed a little happy balm after the mental torment in the larger half of the story -- though I do think pushing her that hard is what made her let down that last defense to call Clark, admitting what she really wanted the most.
Thanks so much for your all of your kind words - I really appreciate them! smile1

Michael, I really appreciate your taking me along as you read! It's always a fun treat! clap

CAT: If he kisses her for that long and they’re still just kissing, they’re doing it wrong.

rotflol

Crop duster!

Leave it to the Smallville boy to have that kind of connection!

Clark does enjoy undressing Superman and getting the superhero showered after a successfully heroic outing.

Spicy! And technically totally canon.

Yeah, like that went so well the last time.

He really doesn't know he's the agent of his own unhappiness. Poor Clark!

This is adorable and funny and sad all at the same time.

Thank you!! blush

This and the earlier snippet, I like how you ramp up the fortifications.

I really appreciate that!

This and before, cute repurposing.

Thank you! It's a fine line between too cheesy and tantalizingly cheesy, right? lol

Huh? Oh… mistletoe!

I can truly never decide whether it's a mark of your genius or my predictable writing that you catch so much before it happens. confused

Very adorable epilogue /updates Kerth chart entry for ‘revelation’/

Thaaaaaank you. blush And yes, please!

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard