A
AmandaK Offline OP
Freelance Reporter
OP Offline
Freelance Reporter
A
Chapter 2
TOC

I'm on a roll right now, but I'm not going to promise to keep this pace in updating. Once a week is my goal. If I can do more than that it just means I had more me-time than I expected (or I stayed up way too late).
Chapter 3 is going to start delving into just what happened on NK but for now we get a few more light-hearted moments - and pie. I love pie.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Welcome to the boards! smile1

I've just read chapters 1 and 2 and it looks intriguing. Althought Clark and Jor consider themselves father and son, I suspect there's something behind it. Maybe he's Zara and Ching's biological son and had to be raised as Clark's son because of NK laws - I believe cheating in the royal family would be punished, maybe with death. A lot of questions and I'm eager to find the answers.

I love Jon in Supersons - comics and the animated version. His partnership with Damian was the best thing for the character (I miss them so much mecry). I imagine Jor would share some traits with Damian (raised in a violent environment, without love and used to hiding his feelings). Jon must be able to break down his barriers more effortlessly than the adults.

Looking forward to new chapters! hyper

Andreia

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

~ Superman: Man of Tomorrow #15
Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
Loved this second chapter. I'm early awaiting bed time for the two boys so Lois and Clark can really talk. Poor Clark, he's trying so hard to establish a relationship with Jor. Hope he will get through to him soon.

It's never too dark to be cool. cool
Features Writer
Features Writer
Welcome! Happy to see another writer.
Anyway, I just caught up.
I'm very curious to learn whether or not Jor is biologically his or not, and I strongly suspect that if he is they used some kind of pod or something for gestation.

Loved the reunions, and Jon seems to be so much like Clark ^_^. Dinner was also sweet. Food breaks all language barriers.

Can't wait for the night's conversation. I imagine Lois and his parents can't wait for answers either.

A
AmandaK Offline OP
Freelance Reporter
OP Offline
Freelance Reporter
A
Ultra Woman - agreed. Jon and Damien are the best. Then they had to go and age Jon up and send him into the future and what not - I kinda stopped reading his storyline at that point. I'm hoping for another supersons movie.
Yes, Jon is going to be crucial to helping Jor learn to live on Earth.

bakasi - I'm debating whether to actually write out the boys getting to bed or just fudge over that scene so we can get to right to all the explainations.

Blueowl - I really enjoied writing the dinner scene. I can't wait for the conversation either. Soon. It is coming soon.

B
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
B
That was a good second chapter.
I really feel bad for Clark and Lois here. THere is so much emotional stuff for both of them with their reunion and all the things that happened in these years between, they really want, NEED, to talk about this and properly reconcile, but can't due to the kid being around. Well, that's life with children... Can be har dsometimes, ain't it?
I was a bit annoyed with Lois' jealousy...but I also get it. Not only does she not know what happened (and the way Clark introduced Jor does not give really hints), there's also tha tfrustration that she waited all these years while he, as it seems ot her, didn't - and the fact he, apparently, did not leave NK on purpose to return to her but instead decided to stay and only left because he was basically forced to for sure hurts. AGain, we don't know the whole story (yet), so I'm curious how it came for Clark to make that choices, but I'm sure we will find out soon enough though. I think the biggest problem here is that she has zero time to process everything, really. Clark, at least, had the month he travelled to get used to some stuff (not Jon though, ut the rest) while Lois was practically thrown on a bunch of things at the same time and she can't even focus because there are these two little distractions.
As for Jor...it's kinda ironic how ´, due to him being so lcosed-up and hiding his emotions, it's more than obvious he has them. He's just trying a little too much there, due to his upbringing and all that it's expected, bu tit shows. Like his "rejecting" Jon as his brother shows his fears and wishes. While he's not used to earth's ways, I'm sur ehe's also not stupid - he can initially see how quickly Clark bonds with Jon, how desperate he is to start a close relationship with this kid. At the same time, it's so different from the one Clakr has with Jor. And I get the iimpression Jor, deep down, wants to get that affection and comfort from him, even if he might not really be aware of this/confessing that even to himself. And so far, he had a better chance for this (or so he thought) but now he has a serious rival, from his POV, in that, and they already bonded "better", so I can see how that would be painful for him. I think par tof the porble is that he doesn't get all the nuances there but also that he's not used to how "being siblings on Earth" is supposed to work - which is no surprise given his upbringing as an only child and the strict rank system of NK where there is probably no such thing as equality in family and other areas, it's always about fighting about the best positions and so on.
It's also kinda interesting how Jor an dLois share this "jealousy" thing, albeit for different reasons, and how they both have the same issue accepting a "new" family member (Jor with Jon and Lois with Jon) in a similar way. Like Lois also seems fairly uncomfortable with that mini-Kryptonian. Jonathan and Martha, on the other hand, have less issue there or at least do focus on getting the kid into th efamily because they can be more neutral on it, for thme they'd be equally "Clark's sons" so there's that - and for Jor, it's also easier to accept them as his new grandparents (to some extent at least) since they are new and he has not a history of "denial" with them like he has with his father, and there is no "succession issue" involved.
The bit where he gets to know food and then pie was just so fun. He soo can't resist the feels there, obviously, even if he tries ("acceptable" lol) and then the pie just broke him completely haha. (and now I want some...damn)
The more I think about it, the more I'm wondering: Why has Jor no english knowledge yet? I mean, it's reasonable enough Clark didn't bother to teach him on NK, but they were, as established in the first chapter, alone in a spaceship for one month on their journey, that would have been plenty of opportunity for Clark to give his son some English lessons. So why had he not done anything there knowing Jor would need it either way and they had time, and now th epoor kid is totally lost in translation? I don't get it. Plus it must be super frustrating for hima dn won't help with the adapting at all.
Jon just seems to be so much of a mini-Clark in personality, with the spitfire energy of a a mini-Lois. I'm sue there's a lot of fun shenanigans coming up, especially once he and Jor can actually talk, with his happy-go-lucky attitude clashing with his brother's all-formal one. (Also, thanks for reminding me to watch the Supersons movie - I wanted to do so for a while but then forgot about it...bumped on my list now again)
And finally, the last author's note makes me wonder if Damian will appear in this fic at some point? Actually, I think he and Jor would get along quite well, they have a lot in common with their upbringing in an emotionally cold environemtn that was all about the respective mission to become the heir of a leader, unusual mental constitution for a kid, etc.

Anway, lookin gforward to the next one that will sure reveal some background on NK and all that.

Up, up and away - to the next fanfic.
A
AmandaK Offline OP
Freelance Reporter
OP Offline
Freelance Reporter
A
BlindPassenger - Thanks for reading.
Yeah, Lois is kind pf all over the place with her emotions right now. She wants to be happy that Clark is back. She is confused and jealous over the implications behind Jor's presence. She's worried about how this is going to change their lives. She's wondering if there is still hope for her and Clark romantically after all this time. But she really hasn't had time to process any of it. She'll get there.
As for Jor - he doesn't really know how to process any of what he's been through - his mother's death, their flight from NK, the events that led to them leaving, this new family and the way they all act towards Clark (so different from what he's ever seen before). Up until now, Jor has lived a pretty sheltered life. He's been taught a lot to prepare him for his future role, but has no actual experience in life outside of being treated something like a prince. He knows he won't be treated that way on Earth but has no idea what to expect. He's never felt most of the emotions he is now facing so he's mostly just trying to lock them away as he's been taught. But it's definitely too much for a 9-year-old. He's also never seen the kind of affection Clark is showing Jon. It confuses him and appeals to him at the same time.
As for why Jor hasn't learned any English - actually I had originally planned to have him learn some during the trip. I kind of forgot about it 😅. Gonna make it work though. Remember that Clark was kind of trying to give Jor space during the trip. Jor wasn't talking much and Clark didn't want to push him after everything they'd been through. Their relationship has never been close and it's been rocked further since the events that led to them leaving. Also, the method Jor will use to learn English has a lot to do with it - this will be explained in a few chapters. Don't worry - in my head canon, a nack for languages isn't unique to Clark among Kryptonians ( based on the fact that all the NK people learned English so quickly in the show). Jor won't be left in the dark for long and it'll also lead to some bonding between him and Jon.

Oh... Now that you bring it up, I really, really want to have Damien in the story. But I feel like trying to incorporate the Batman universe into L&C would be a bit much for this particular story. I feel like that would open a huge can of worms:
Lois: While you were gone, a bunch of other superheroes popped up.
Clark: oh?
Lois: yeah, Gotham, Star City, Central City, D.C. - they formed this Justice League thing. You might want to touch base with them.
Superman: Hi, I'm Superman. You probably remember me from before.
Batman: I'm Batman - we have some concerns...
Flash: Dude, he's Superman. We can totally trust him.
Batman: *glares*

J
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
J
What a great next chapter! Lots of intrigue!

She could be angry later.
Ten years and Lois has really grown up herself.

He was certainly his father’s son.
The juxtaposition you've set up between the two boys feels rife with possibility.

She watched Clark’s eyes light up at the mention of his parents before looking back at Jon.
That's so sweet. I can't imagine what a relief that would be.

“Zara and Ching were both killed during our escape from New Krypton.”
Oh, wow. That's a bold move! Very exciting to see what comes next!

“Only… a friend?” Her eyes flicked towards Jor for a moment, the rest of her question implicit.
This feels like the way they communicate on the show - multiple layers without saying it all out loud. Really love the way you keep the story tension high here and the enxt sentences.

Martha barely waited for the truck to come to a stop before she was out the door and running towards Clark. Johnathan wasn’t far behind. They caught each other in a three-person
hug
This is so sweet. mecry

Lois wondered, however, if that was merely a front – if, beyond his emotionless walls, a storm of hurt and grief was brewing.
I feel like Lois has an inside track on this kind of behavior.

After a moment, Jor took a deep breath and nodded. “Gran-d-mah. Gran-d-pah,” he said, looking at his grandparents.
He must be a good kid at heart if he's offering this to Marthan and Jonathan. Very sweet tidbit.

Food was the backbone of human culture. It brought people together, encouraging socialization and sharing.
Great incite and point of comparison.

Clark had never seen the boy react so expressively to anything.
I love this detail! I'm susceptible to dessert, too!

LOVE the West-Reeve detail, too!

Can't wait to see what comes next!

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard