Between Two Worlds
By AmandaK

Summary: A coup on New Krypton sends Clark fleeing back to Earth with his nine-year-old “son,” Jor-El. He arrives in Smallville to find Lois and their son, Jon. Clark must now find his place on Earth once more, while helping Jor settle in and becoming the father Jon never had.

Author’s Note:
For the purposes of this story, Kryptonian dialogue will be noted by <>. Telepathic communication will be noted with []. Hopefully, this will be easy enough to follow.

Chapter 2

Lois crossed her arms over her chest as she watched the boy – Jor-El, Clark’s other son – walk away from them after apparently dismissing Jon. She had no idea what he had said, but his words had clearly distressed Clark, who appeared torn between chasing after him or staying with Lois and Jon. He ran a hand through his hair and sighed, offering them a wan smile.

Lois couldn’t help but smile in return, though her heart and mind were still struggling to process everything. The time, since she had first stepped out onto the porch until now, had passed in a flurry of emotion, changing from one moment to the next – shock and disbelief at his return, relief in realizing it wasn’t a dream, guilt over having given up on him, anger that he had taken so long, joy in witnessing his immediate love for their son and Jon’s enthusiastic greeting, confusion and curiosity over the silent boy by his side, hurt in realizing that this was Clark’s son as well – that Clark had…

She shook off the thought. Dwelling on it would only make her angry. She could be angry later. For now, she wanted to let their reunion and Jon’s first meeting with his father be a happy one.
“I’m sorry,” Clark apologized for Jor’s abrupt departure. “He’s been through a lot lately.”

Jon wasn’t fazed. “It’s alright, Dad. I can’t imagine having to leave Earth for a different planet. It’s gotta be really weird for him.” Lois smiled at her sweet son. He was always so kind and forgiving. She couldn’t even congratulate herself for that – it was hardly her influence. Martha and Johnathan had certainly helped, but she felt that most of it was simply his nature. He was certainly his father’s son.

Oddly enough, Jor didn’t seem to take after his father at all. Physically, he resembled Zara, as near as Lois could remember her. As for his attitude – even allowing for the differences in culture and language and the upset caused by leaving his home, Lois expected to see a bit more of Clark in a boy whom he, presumably, had helped raise. Jor-El had shown very little expression before whatever he had said in response to Jon’s greeting – and even that had sounded mostly calm and controlled.

Lois knew through her, admittedly limited, exposure to the culture before Clark left that Kryptonians kept a tight reign on their emotions. Jor’s behavior, however, seemed a bit excessive on that front, especially for a boy about Jon’s age. Even Zara had shown more emotion than she was seeing from Jor right now.

Speaking of Zara…

Lois opened her mouth to speak and then shut it again, abruptly, glancing at Jon. It might be best to find him something to do while she asked this question. She looked over at the porch, where broken glass was still scattered over the steps. “Jon, sweety, would you go fetch the broom and dust pan? I want to get the porch cleaned up before Grandma and Grandpa get home.”

She watched Clark’s eyes light up at the mention of his parents before looking back at Jon. “Okay, Mom.” He replied as he bounded back towards the house.

“Mom and Dad are on their way?” Clark asked.

Lois nodded. “They should be home soon.” She took a few steps toward him, arms still crossed. She hesitated only a moment before asking, “So… will Zara be joining us?”

Clark sucked in a breath in surprise at her question and darted his gaze towards Jor, but said nothing. Lois felt the sudden need to fill the silence. “I mean, I just figured she would be here, assuming she is Jor-El’s mother, which would make sense seeing as how you two were… married and all. Unless, there was someone else – some other Kryptonian lady who caught your eye or -”

“Lois.” Clark cut her off mid-babble. He sighed, looking back at Jor once more before focusing all his attention on her. “Yes, Zara was Jor’s mother. And no, she’s not here.” He closed his eyes for a moment, sadness etching his features. “Zara and Ching were both killed during our escape from New Krypton.”

Lois’ breath caught as she raised her hands to cover her mouth. “Oh, Clark. I’m sorry. I…” she wasn’t sure what to say. One of his words diverted her attention though. “Escape? Clark what happened?”

The sound of the front door opening stopped him from replying. They both turned to see Jon begin sweeping the broken glass off the front porch. Clark sighed and lowered his voice. “It’s a long story and I’d rather not discuss it while the boys are awake.”

Lois nodded her understanding. She’d rather not have Jon hear details of any violence Clark had witnessed. Jor, on the other hand, probably already knew whatever Clark had to tell her. She looked over at the boy who still stood under the tree. The poor boy…

“Clark,” she whispered. “Is Jor okay? To lose his mother and his home… I can’t imagine what he’s going through right now.”

Clark sighed and ran a hand through his hair again. “I… don’t know. He’s Kryptonian. He was raised Kryptonian. I’m not even sure he knows how to grieve. He’s lost so much… I’m all he has left.” He hung his head in defeat.

Lois placed her hand on his shoulder. “I’m sure we’ll figure out how to help him.” Clark looked up at her with a sad smile. “And… I’m sorry… about Zara.”

“Thank you. She was a good friend to me. Ching as well,” he replied.

Lois bit her lip and watched Jon head back inside before asking, “Only… a friend?” Her eyes flicked towards Jor for a moment, the rest of her question implicit.

Clark sighed again. “I’d rather not discuss this with the boys around but things with Jor are… complicated. He’s –” The rumble of a truck coming up the driveway cut off whatever else he had to say.

Lois was surprised to see him tilt his head in the once familiar “listening pose” that indicated he was hearing something she couldn’t. She hadn’t realized his powers were already returning. Before she could question him on this, he looked back at her with a thousand-watt smile that took her breath away.

“It’s Mom and Dad. They’re wondering who you’re talking too.” He turned to face the truck fully and waved slightly as it came closer. “Mom sees me. She’s telling Dad to hurry up.” He was starting to sound a bit choked up and Lois felt her own throat constrict as she prepared to witness another reunion.

Martha barely waited for the truck to come to a stop before she was out the door and running towards Clark. Johnathan wasn’t far behind. They caught each other in a three-person hug and Lois couldn’t stop her tears as she heard Martha exclaim, “My boy! My sweet boy!”

“Our son’s come home, Martha.” Johnathan added, thumping Clark on the back. Clark seemed at a loss for words and appeared to be holding back his own tears.

As Lois watched, Jon came up to stand beside her. Glancing to the side, she noted that Jor was also watching the reunion though his face remained as impassive as ever.

After several more hugs and plenty of happy tears from Martha, the older couple stepped back and beckoned Lois and Jon to join their reunion. More words passed between them all but Lois wasn’t really paying attention to what was said. She was watching Jor.

The young Kryptonian seemed like such an outsider to this joyous moment. Lois couldn’t help but wonder what he was feeling – if he was feeling anything. Clark seemed to think that the boy didn’t process emotions the way human children did. Lois wondered, however, if that was merely a front – if, beyond his emotionless walls, a storm of hurt and grief was brewing.

She recalled her own childhood – her father’s frequent absence and constant criticism when he was home, her mother’s drunken stupors, and little Lucy looking to her for guidance. Lois had become quite skilled at hiding her feelings as well, only daring to cry when she was sure that Lucy was asleep. She’d carried those walls into adulthood only to have them further built up by the pains of heartache and betrayal caused by Claude and reinforced in the fiasco of her near marriage to Lex.

Only Clark’s persistent friendship and unfaltering love had managed to break through the fortifications around her heart and let her learn to be vulnerable. After he left, when it had seemed that he would never return, she had nearly closed herself off again. Discovering her pregnancy had saved her from reverting to the hardened workaholic she’d once been. Jon had saved her.

Now she wondered what it would take to break through Jor-El’s walls. No child, human or Kryptonian, should have to keep everything bottled up inside. It wasn’t healthy. Yet Clark didn’t seem to think he could reach the boy and with the language barrier, it could prove difficult for the rest of them to help either.

“Who’s the kid?” Johnathan asked, having noticed Lois’ distraction and followed her gaze.

Clark looked over at Jor and took a breath, as though to strengthen himself against another possible rejection from the boy. “Jor-El,” he called out and then he said something in Kryptonian which Lois assumed to mean, “come here.”

Jor hesitated for a moment before approaching the group yet staying far enough away that Clark’s attempt to lay a hand on his shoulder was awkwardly aborted. Clark spoke to Jor again, this time gesturing to his parents as the names Johnathan Kent and Martha Kent stood out among the jumble of Kryptonian words. Jor nodded his acknowledgement.

Then Clark turned to face his parents. “Mom, Dad. This is my son, Jor-El.”

Several looks passed between Clark and the older Kents, surprise and confusion being foremost on Johnathan and Martha’s faces. Clark’s eyes assured them that an explanation would be forthcoming. Lois was impatient for some answers herself but, with Jon and Jor both present, it was going to have to wait.

Johnathan broke the silence by clearing his throat. “Well… welcome to the family, Jor-El.” He offered the boy a smile.

After a beat, Clark said something to Jor-El which must’ve been a translation because Jor nodded and replied, “Nahkluv, Jo-nah-tan-Kent.” He stumbled through the longer name, but his meaning was clear without Clark’s translation.

“He says, thank you.”

Before he could say anymore, Martha stepped forward. “Oh, there’s no need to be formal, dear. You’ll call us Grandma and Grandpa, just like Jon does.” She touched her chest and Johnathan’s as she named them for the boy, but Jor only stared back blankly. Martha looked to Clark to translate.

Clark seemed to think about it for a moment and then, hesitantly placed a hand on his mother’s shoulder while addressing his son. “Grandma,” he said slowly, pronouncing the word carefully. “Uzheiu. Grandma.” Understanding came to Jor’s eyes as Clark moved his hand to his father’s shoulder and repeated the process. “Grandpa. Khehthgr. Grandpa.”

Lois held her breath, waiting to see how Jor would respond. He hadn’t seemed pleased with learning that Jon was his brother. She wondered if he would reject Martha and Johnathan as well. Clark seemed equally apprehensive, his eyes pleading with Jor to at least try.

After a moment, Jor took a deep breath and nodded. “Gran-d-mah. Gran-d-pah,” he said, looking at his grandparents. His pronunciation was off but Martha and Johnathan were thrilled and Clark clearly relieved.

Lois wondered again what was going on in Jor’s mind – why he had accepted his grandparents but rejected his brother. Perhaps it was a jealousy issue. Did Kryptonians get jealous?

Before she could ponder the matter any farther, Martha began bustling everyone inside. Lois couldn’t help but smile as the older woman went into full mother-hen mode. “Now I’m sure you boys are starving after your long journey. Let’s head inside and I’ll get you both some buttermilk. I’m making chicken and dumplings for dinner and I think I have what I need to make an apple pie. Tonight calls for a celebration.

Clark was in heaven. The first bite of his mother’s chicken and dumplings had sent his tastebuds into overdrive. He couldn’t help but savor it even though he knew there was plenty more to enjoy. He chewed slowly and might have heard himself moan in delight.

When he finished chewing, he opened his eyes to find the entire family staring at him. Jon seemed to be biting back a laugh – a theory confirmed a moment later when he snorted loudly.

“Jon!” Lois reprimanded, but then she chuckled herself and was soon joined in her amusement by his parents.

Clark rubbed the back of his neck in embarrassment but grinned back at his family. “Okay, okay. You have to understand though – I have not tasted anything this good in ten years. This is amazing, Mom.”

“Thank you, Clark.”

“They don’t have chicken and dumplings on New Krypton, Dad?” Jon asked, digging into his own food.

Clark took another bite and did his best to control his reaction this time. After swallowing, he replied, “They don’t have chicken on New Krypton. I’m not even sure they have anything that qualifies as actual meat.”

“That sounds awful!” Jon exclaimed. The adults all laughed.

Clark smiled. This felt so good – enjoying a delicious meal with the people he loved. Talking, laughing, eating. He could smell his mom’s apple pie baking in the oven. It was almost enough to make him forget he’d ever left. Everything was as it should be – everything except…

“Won’t you try your food, Jor?” his mother asked. “Clark, tell the boy to eat.”

Clark looked to where Jor was sitting beside him, his plate untouched. Clark sighed. The boy hadn’t touched his glass of buttermilk either. Clark worried that perhaps the flavors on Earth would be too overwhelming for Jor, being used to a much blander diet. They still had some rations on the ship, but ultimately Jor was going to need to eat Earth food. He had hoped that the smell of the food would be enough to tempt Jor to try it.

< “Jor, will you not try the food?”>

Jor sighed and looked up at him. < “It is… strange.”>

< “It is different from anything you have had before, yes,”> Clark replied. < “Humans enjoy much flavor and variety in their food. We can find something simpler, if you would prefer. However, you will need to begin trying new things. This is our home now.”>

For an instant, Clark felt something break through Jor’s mental walls – pain, anger, sadness – but then it was gone. Jor nodded his acceptance and picked up his fork. If the boy noticed that everyone else at the table had stopped eating to watch him, he gave no indication.

Jor took a small bite of smothered dumpling with a bit of chicken breast. Clark watched him, hoping that he would like it. Food was the backbone of human culture. It brought people together, encouraging socialization and sharing. On New Krypton it had been merely a necessity. If Jor could find joy in trying new foods and sharing meals with others, he would be one small step closer to adjusting to life on Earth.

Jor had barely begun chewing when his eyes widened, ever so slightly. He slowed down and Clark couldn’t help but smile as his son contemplated the flavors in his mouth. A few emotions slipped through Jor’s barriers and into Clark’s awareness – surprise and pleasure foremost among them.

After swallowing, Jor looked up and finally noticed the attention he was receiving. He quickly looked back down and then at Clark before providing the assessment everyone was waiting for. < “It is… acceptable.”>

Clark laughed. He couldn’t help it. Jor’s words were so Kryptonian – just barely expressing what he truly felt. He stifled his laughter quickly, however when Jor frowned.

< [I do not understand what is humorous,]> Jor said mentally.

< [I am sorry, Jor. I laughed because your assessment was understated. You enjoy the food. You can say so.]>

Jor did not respond but took another bite of his food. After a moment, everyone else resumed eating.

The rest of the meal passed amicably. Jor did not speak, nor did he show interest in what was being said around him. Constantly translating for him would have been cumbersome and, since Jor did not seem to care, Clark only translated when someone else addressed the boy directly. Most of the questions came from Martha, concerning whether he wanted more or if he liked the food. To these, Jor only nodded or shook his head.

Meanwhile, Clark was enjoying catching up on everything he had missed while he was gone. Lois had, indeed, won a Pulitzer for an exposé on unsafe prescription drugs that had been approved by the Food and Drug Administration*. Jon was second baseman for his baseball team, the West-Reeve* Elementary Guardians, and last year they’d gone to regionals. Some of Martha’s latest art pieces were being featured in a gallery in Wichita. And Johnathan reported that the last several years had brought in good harvests – so much so that he and Martha had saved enough to go on a month-long cruise after Jon went back to Metropolis for the school year.

Apparently, Jon had been spending his summers in Smallville since he was five. Lois had felt it was a better option than the city summer camp programs or hiring someone to watch him. She could afford it but she felt his time was better spent with his grandparents, in the place where his father grew up.

After their meal was finished and the dishes cleared, Martha pulled a piping hot apple pie from the oven. Everyone oohed and aahed over the delectable smell, but it was Jor’s reaction that made Clark smile the most.

< “What is that?”> Jor asked, his eyes wide as dinner plates as he breathed deeply. Clark had never seen the boy react so expressively to anything.

< “This,” Clark replied, reaching over to cut and serve Jor the first slice. < “Is your grandma’s famous…”> he paused and, realizing there was no Kryptonian word for it, finished in English. “Apple pie.”

“Pie.” Jor repeated, almost reverently, inhaling the scent once more. He carefully picked up his fork and took a small bite. This time, he did not pause to comment on it. As soon as he swallowed, he dug in for another bite. Clark wasn’t positive, but he thought he saw a small smile on his son’s face.

He chuckled and looked up at the rest of his family. “I think he likes it.”

If there was one thing Clark knew to be true, it was this – good food was a universal language.

*Based on an actual Pulitzer given in 2001 to David Willman of Los Angeles Times for his pioneering exposé of seven unsafe prescription drugs that had been approved by the Food and Drug Administration, and an analysis of the policy reforms that had reduced the agency's effectiveness.

*In the Super Sons Comics, both Jon Kent and Damien Wayne attend a school called West-Reeve, named for Adam West and Christopher Reeve.