Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
Yay! I get to start the new year! Happy 2024!

#1 Cassandra in Reverse by Holly Smale

If you had the power to change the past…where would you start?
Cassandra Penelope Dankworth is a creature of habit. She likes what she likes (museums, jumpsuits, her boyfriend, Will) and strongly dislikes what she doesn't (mess, change, her boss drinking out of her mug). Her life runs in a pleasing, predictable order…until now.
• She's just been dumped.
• She's just been fired.
• Her local café has run out of banana muffins.

Then, something truly unexpected happens: Cassie discovers she can go back and change the past. One small rewind at a time, Cassie attempts to fix the life she accidentally obliterated, but soon she'll discover she's trying to fix all the wrong things.

I'm a sucker for time travel. I do enjoy the POV of a person on the spectrum, it can get a bit tiresome being in their head. There was a lot of extraneous information that could've been trimmed to facilitate the flow of the story. It did come together pretty nicely in the end.

Looking forward to seeing what everyone else is reading!

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#2 The Young of Other Animals by Chris Cander

Shocking family secrets have the power to destroy―or unite―an estranged mother and daughter in an emotional and gripping novel by the author of A Gracious Neighbor . Mayree and Paula are a mother and daughter drifting apart, separated by grief and more, after the death of Mayree’s husband. Mayree faces a future with no income, career, or social life. Even ties with her best friend have been severed. Paula, feeling abandoned by the father she loved, is left with only a bitter mother. When Paula reveals that she narrowly escaped a violent assault, Mayree’s initial reaction is dismissal and disbelief. But as details unfold, it’s clear that it was real and not just one random night gone horribly wrong―someone is out to destroy their lives. With each new threat from Paula’s assailant, harrowing family secrets reemerge that force the mother and daughter to confront the shared traumas of their pasts. Drawing on courage and hope, they must save the relationship they never realized they’d lost. Reflective, suspenseful, and moving, The Young of Other Animals explores the psychic intergenerational damages that can alter relationships with loved ones forever.

Not bad. Characters weren't overly likeable. There was enough plot to keep me engaged.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#3 Sleeping with Friends by Emily Schultz

When Mia Sinclair-Kroner wakes from a coma, all she can remember are the movies she’s known and loved. Her college friends quickly assemble for a weekend party, in an effort to help her remember. But with old friends come old wounds, and it soon becomes clear that Mia’s accident might not have been an accident at all.

Was it Agnes, driven by her unspoken resentments? Or Zoey, who covets everything Mia has? Have the years apart only fanned the extinguished flame between Ethan and Mia, compelling him to violence? Or did Victor, who moved away, return with an agenda? Or was it Martin, the wealthy husband, who put a country estate between Mia and her past?

Not a particularly good story for this genre. Who discovers a dead body and never gets around to calling the police?

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#4 The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho

Paulo Coelho's masterpiece tells the mystical story of Santiago, an Andalusian shepherd boy who yearns to travel in search of a worldly treasure. His quest will lead him to riches far different—and far more satisfying—than he ever imagined. Santiago's journey teaches us about the essential wisdom of listening to our hearts, recognizing opportunity and learning to read the omens strewn along life's path, and, most importantly, following our dreams.

This book has a lot to say. Even though I'm under the weather, I got insights from it. This will be fun to discuss at book club.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#5 Fairy Tales by Stephen King

Charlie Reade looks like a regular high school kid, great at baseball and football, a decent student. But he carries a heavy load. His mom was killed in a hit-and-run accident when he was ten, and grief drove his dad to drink. Charlie learned how to take care of himself—and his dad. Then, when Charlie is seventeen, he meets Howard Bowditch, a recluse with a big dog in a big house at the top of a big hill. In the backyard is a locked shed from which strange sounds emerge, as if some creature is trying to escape. When Mr. Bowditch dies, he leaves Charlie the house, a massive amount of gold, a cassette tape telling a story that is impossible to believe, and a responsibility far too massive for a boy to shoulder.

Because within the shed is a portal to another world—one whose denizens are in peril and whose monstrous leaders may destroy their own world, and ours. In this parallel universe, where two moons race across the sky, and the grand towers of a sprawling palace pierce the clouds, there are exiled princesses and princes who suffer horrific punishments; there are dungeons; there are games in which men and women must fight each other to the death for the amusement of the “Fair One.” And there is a magic sundial that can turn back time.

Stephen King can be hit or miss. This was one of the good ones. Inviting world, likeable characters, interesting premise.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#6 The 5 Love Languages by Gary Chapman

Falling in love is easy. Staying in love—that’s the challenge. How can you keep your relationship fresh and growing amid the demands, conflicts, and just plain boredom of everyday life?

In the #1 New York Times international bestseller The 5 Love Languages®, you’ll discover the secret that has transformed millions of relationships worldwide. Whether your relationship is flourishing or failing, Dr. Gary Chapman’s proven approach to showing and receiving love will help you experience deeper and richer levels of intimacy with your partner—starting today.

Good stuff.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#7 Miss Benson's Beetle by Rachel Joyce

It is 1950. London is still reeling from World War II, and Margery Benson, a schoolteacher and spinster, is trying to get through life, surviving on scraps. One day, she reaches her breaking point, abandoning her job and small existence to set out on an expedition to the other side of the world in search of her childhood obsession: an insect that may or may not exist--the golden beetle of New Caledonia. When she advertises for an assistant to accompany her, the woman she ends up with is the last person she had in mind. Fun-loving Enid Pretty in her tight-fitting pink suit and pom-pom sandals seems to attract trouble wherever she goes. But together these two British women find themselves drawn into a cross-ocean adventure that exceeds all expectations and delivers something neither of them expected to find: the transformative power of friendship.

Quirky characters.

Columnist
Columnist
You read a lot, scifiJoan. I also read a lot; I am already to book 11 for the year. I love how you write these after all of your books. My goal last year was 50 and I hit 75.

Do you use Goodreads? I love how you write your feedback for all of the books you read. I tend to read mine so fast that I wouldn't be able to do that very well. At times I finish the book at 3am.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
I love referring to Good Reads. Lots of times I don't realize something bothered me until I see it in the reviews. And sometimes I don't agree with them at all. It's fun to keep track and it's fun to read other's recs here too. Hoping to see more from you! Book 11? Nice job! Would love to hear about what you've been reading.

Last edited by scifiJoan; 02/03/24 12:46 AM.
S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#8 The Island of Sea Women by Lisa See"

Set on the Korean island of Jeju, The Island of Sea Women follows Mi-ja and Young-sook, two girls from very different backgrounds, as they begin working in the sea with their village’s all-female diving collective. Over many decades—through the Japanese colonialism of the 1930s and 1940s, World War II, the Korean War, and the era of cellphones and wet suits for the women divers—Mi-ja and Young-sook develop the closest of bonds. Nevertheless, their differences are impossible to ignore: Mi-ja is the daughter of a Japanese collaborator, forever marking her, and Young-sook was born into a long line of haenyeo and will inherit her mother’s position leading the divers. After hundreds of dives and years of friendship, forces outside their control will push their relationship to the breaking point.

I always love a book that can submerge into a totally different world. And this was all new to me. While the culture and daily lives of this these women were very different from my experience, their love for the families and kids was the same.

Columnist
Columnist
#16 The Hero She Wants by Anna Hackett

This is the second in the Unbroken Heroes series. I read the first one last year. The President's daughter isn't your normal politician's daughter. Hayden Sinclair is an archeologist and loves her job so much that she goes to Nicaragua. Even when she uses a different name, she is found and captured to the highest bidder. President Sinclair asks a former Ghost Ops soldier to find his daughter. Shep Barlow is the grumpiest ex-soldier who doesn't believe in love and would rather live on his Colorado mountainside than go rescue some princess. When he finally caves and goes to rescue Hayden he finds out that this woman is unlike anyone he has ever met. Both of them hate love, hate relationships, and are running through the jungle for the lives.

This book was good, but you could tell from the beginning what was going to happen. Yes, they would fall for each other, but I adored how they kept going toe to toe with each other. Hayden was strong and kept pushing herself and Shep. The banter was hilarious though.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#17 I'd Know You Anywhere by Laura Lippman

Eliza Benedict cherishes her peaceful, ordinary suburban life with her successful husband and children, thirteen-year-old Iso and eight-year-old Albie. But her tranquillity is shattered when she receives a letter from the last person she ever expects—or wants—to hear from: Walter Bowman. There was your photo, in a magazine. Of course, you are older now. Still, I'd know you anywhere.

In the summer of 1985, when she was fifteen, Eliza was kidnapped by Walter and held hostage for almost six weeks. He had killed at least one girl and Eliza always suspected he had other victims as well. Now on death row in Virginia for the rape and murder of his final victim, Walter seems to be making a heartfelt act of contrition as his execution nears. Though Eliza wants nothing to do with him, she's never forgotten that Walter was most unpredictable when ignored. Desperate to shelter her children from this undisclosed trauma in her past, she cautiously makes contact with Walter. She's always wondered why Walter let her live, and perhaps now he'll tell her—and share the truth about his other victims.

The premise was interesting but it felt like the author could've done more with it.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
# 18 The Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work by John M. Gottman

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#19 I Could Live Here Forever by Hanna Halpenn

When Leah Kempler meets Charlie Nelson in line at the grocery store, their attraction is immediate and intense. Charlie, with his big feelings and grand proclamations of love, captivates her completely. But there are peculiarities of his life—he’s older than her but lives with his parents; he meets up with a friend at odd hours of the night; he sleeps a lot and always seems to be coming down with something. He confesses that he’s a recovering heroin addict, but he promises Leah that he’s never going to use again.

I understand that damaged people attract one another. But I hoped this girl would gain some self respect as this guy continued to let her down.

#20 Will They or Won't They? by Ava Wilder

Lilah Hunter and Shane McCarthy are madly in love— at least, their characters are. As the stars of the hit paranormal TV show Intangible, they spent years pining for each other on-screen… until Lilah ditched the show at the end of season five in hopes of becoming a film star. With no such luck, she’s back to film the much-hyped ninth and final season, in which their characters will get together at last.

But coming back means facing one of the biggest reasons she left: Shane. Ever since their secret behind-the-scenes fling imploded at the end of the first season, the two of them have despised each other.

This one felt a little more like fanfiction but for a plane ride, it was a fun distraction.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#21 Stolen Focus: Why You Can't Pay Attention - and How to Think Deeply Again by Johann Hari

In the United States, teenagers can focus on one task for only sixty-five seconds at a time, and office workers average only three minutes. Like so many of us, Johann Hari was finding that constantly switching from device to device and tab to tab was a diminishing and depressing way to live. He tried all sorts of self-help solutions--even abandoning his phone for three months--but nothing seemed to work. So Hari went on an epic journey across the world to interview the leading experts on human attention--and he discovered that everything we think we know about this crisis is wrong.

Excellent book! I agree with many of his points. I plan to rec this book to both of my book clubs.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#22 Four Treasures of the Sky by Jenny Tinghui Zhang

Set in the 1850s, Japan, Daiyu continues to reinvent herself to survive, mostly disguising herself as a boy. From the sreets of her native village to a brothel in San Francisco, finally ending up in south Dakota.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#23 The Breakaway by Jennifer Weiner

Thirty-three-year-old Abby Stern has made it to a happy place. True, she still has gig jobs instead of a career, and the apartment where she’s lived since college still looks like she’s just moved in. But she’s got good friends, her bike, and her bicycling club in Philadelphia. She’s at peace with her plus-size body—at least, most of the time—and she’s on track to marry Mark Medoff, her childhood summer sweetheart, a man she met at the weight-loss camp that her perpetually dieting mother forced her to attend. Fifteen years after her final summer at Camp Golden Hills, when Abby reconnects with a half-his-size Mark, it feels like the happy ending she’s always wanted.

Yet Abby can’t escape the feeling that some­thing isn’t right...or the memories of one thrilling night she spent with a man named Sebastian two years previously. When Abby gets a last-minute invi­tation to lead a cycling trip from NYC to Niagara Falls, she’s happy to have time away from Mark, a chance to reflect and make up her mind.

I had mixed feelings about this book. I like the idea of a plus size woman accepting herself for who she is. But there was a lot of other political stuff that frankly felt like preaching rather than a part of the story. It could've been handled better. And I love how the woman accepts herself as she is but both boyfriends are buff models!! I've read better by this author.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#24 The Silent Treatment by Annie Greaves

Although Frank and Maggie have a good marriage, they haven't been speaking for six months. When Maggie is hospitalized after taking too many sleeping pills, Frank reveals his reasons.

I like books about flawed characters but these people drove me nuts.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#25 The Monstrous Misses Mai by Van Hoang

Los Angeles brims with opportunity in 1959―though not for aspiring fashion designer Cordelia Mai Yin, the first-generation child of Vietnamese immigrants, who finds the city unkind to outsiders and as dispirited as her own family. When Cordi rents a cheap loft in an old apartment building, she quickly warms to kindred souls Tessa, Audrey, and Silly. They also want better things and have pasts they’d rather forget. That they all share the same middle name makes their friendship seem like destiny.

As supportive as they are of each other, it’s a struggle just to eke out a living, let alone hope to see their wishes for success come true. Until an ever-present and uncannily charming acquaintance of the landlord’s offers a solution to their problems. He promises to fulfill their every dream. All it takes is a little magic. And a small sacrifice.

You know where this is going, yet it's still a fun read.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#26 The Secret Book of Flora Lea by Patti Callahan Henry

In the war-torn London of 1939, fourteen-year-old Hazel and five-year-old Flora are evacuated to a rural village to escape the horrors of the Second World War. Living with the kind Bridie Aberdeen and her teenage son, Harry, in a charming stone cottage along the River Thames, Hazel fills their days with walks and games to distract her young sister, including one that she creates for her sister and her sister alone—a fairy tale about a magical land, a secret place they can escape to that is all their own.

But the unthinkable happens when young Flora suddenly vanishes while playing near the banks of the river. Shattered, Hazel blames herself for her sister’s disappearance, and she carries that guilt into adulthood as a private burden she feels she deserves.

This one didn't do it for me. Some of the characters' choices seemed odd and many of the characters weren't well fleshed out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard