Next Thread
Print Thread
#29855 05/13/06 12:12 AM
C
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
C
I normally don't read fanfiction while I'm in the middle of writing a story, but something made me take a peek at this this morning, and I'm so glad I did. What a lovely vignette! And this:

She should be angry, but in reality she was just as scared as he was and of the same thing: losing the one person in the world who made you part of it.
That was one of those sentences that made me go, "Oooh. I wish I'd written that!" It's succinct and incredibly insightful and really sums up something significant at the heart of the Lois and Clark relationship. Very, very nice.

Thanks for a lovely coffee break smile

J
Merriwether
Merriwether
J
Oh that was great! So very sweet.

Jackie

Superman: I hear you've been looking for me.
Lois: All my life.
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
This is wonderful, C_A. All of it is so extremely beautifully written, so wonderfully put together. And it is full of the doubts and longing that have haunted this almost star-crossed pair of lovers for two years. But there is also a new sense of belief, of trust, of faith, that comes from their lovemaking and from what Lois saw in Clark during their intimacy - things he could never express to her in any other situation.

I, too, want to quote that exquisite sentence that Caroline already quoted, but I'm asking you to re-read her quote rather than repeating it myself. Let me quote the end of this beautiful vignette instead:

Tonight, she'd found her way back to him. She'd realized that the man she'd thought she'd lost had never left her. She saw now that he had remained the same in every way that counted. There was a whole new side of him that she needed to come to accept, but she would.

Life wasn't fair, or pleasant, but it was real and so was his love for her. She knew that because she knew him.

Lois turned and stepped through the doorway back into his apartment. Leaving the soda can on the coffee table in the living room, she started toward the bedroom, walking slowly past the years and lies and words he had failed to say.

His body above her, she knew he was the one.

In the end, that was the only truth that mattered.
I should stop talking now, after quoting this heartbreakingly beautiful ending. But I have to ask you, C_A: could this possibly be a sequel to something else that you have written?

Once more: Thank you for this lovely, lovely vignette, the loveliest I have read in a very long time.

Ann

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Very, very nice.

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Ah very nice indeed smile

~Lois Lane Wanna Be

"Live with intention.
Walk to the edge.
Listen Hard.
Practice wellness.
Play with abandon.
Laugh.
Choose with no regret.
Continue to learn.
Appreciate your friends.
Do what you love.
Live as if this is all there is."
~Mary Anne Radmacher
K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
K
Okay, well Caroline hit the nail on the head... there are so many of "those sentences that made me go, "Oooh. I wish I'd written that!"" Actually, my first reaction is more of a gasp and then an AWWWWW!!

And yet, in his bed, his body above her, she had felt that he was still the same: caring, honest, truthful, painfully in love with her.
Oh, how I LOVE the "painfully in love with her." I love the whole sentence, but that phrase is just... perfect.

It seemed as though he no longer cared. Or perhaps, in his heart, he was already in a place where the truth no longer stood between them.
Beautiful sentence!

Her initial anger had dissipated once sheโ€™d realized that his not telling her had little to do with her and everything to do with him.
eek How true is this?! Wow.

And Caroline and Ann already quoted the rest of what I'd wanted to.

Beautifully written, C_A!!! notworthy

Sara smile

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
๐Ÿ†2024 Kerth Award Posts ๐Ÿ†.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
This was wonderfully written, C_A โ€” beautiful and poignant and so insightful.

This, in particular, got me right *there*:
She had needed courage tonight, because her panic threatened to overwhelm her. But sheโ€™d also needed him, because he had always been her only need.
Lovely.

Thanks for sharing this on the boards!

~ Crystal

"Not all those who wander are lost." โ€” JRR Tolkien
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
CA

This is beautifully written. smile1 I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Tricia cool

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
What they said. laugh

Seriously, this is a wonderful vignette, full of emotions and hope for the future. No dragged out hurt or madness but Lois realizing very quickly what is important to her. No wasting time there. blush

Natascha thumbsup

C_A Offline
Columnist
Columnist
Wow! Once again, I'm floored by the response! Thanks, Caroline (also for breaking your own no-fic-when-writing rule!), Jackie, Ann, Pam, LoisLaneWannaBe, Sara, angelic_editor, Tricia and Natascha!

I should stop talking now, after quoting this heartbreakingly beautiful ending. But I have to ask you, C_A: could this possibly be a sequel to something else that you have written?
Thanks so much for your comments, Ann. No, this story is not a sequel. I have written other L&C fic before (you can read it here ), but this vignette is a stand-alone, after-the-fact introspective piece of slightly melancholy fluff goofy .

Fanfic | MVs

Clark: "Lois? She's bossy. She's stuck up, she's rude... I can't stand her."
Lana: "The best ones always start that way."

"And you already know. Yeah, you already know how this will end." - DeVotchKa
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Really beautifully written. So insightful.

Great vignette! thumbsup

Ursie

Lois: Well, I like my quirks. I think they make me unique.
Clark: You certainly are unique.

Clark: You're high maintenance, you know that?
Lois: But I'm worth it!
C_A Offline
Columnist
Columnist
Hi Ursie, just saw your reply. Glad you liked it! Thanks! smile

Fanfic | MVs

Clark: "Lois? She's bossy. She's stuck up, she's rude... I can't stand her."
Lana: "The best ones always start that way."

"And you already know. Yeah, you already know how this will end." - DeVotchKa

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard